Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Larrymer posted:

I'd try sways first. They won't really hurt the ride as much vs. springs and should help the roll a lot. And they're usually easier to install and take off if you decide you don't like them. :v:

Admittedly I don't know much about porch suspensions aside from giggling like crazy following one at a track day and seeing it lift the front inside wheel all the time. 72ish 911 in this case, hopefully yours has a better setup.

It's the exact same setup minus reinforced mountings I think, and probably with different spring/sway rates and shock valving. I do have the OEM sport shocks but that only helps the car settle into its typical body roll (wallow). And yes I was apparently lifting the inside front wheel all the time and a guy behind me said I looked hilarious doing it. Kind of hoping someone caught video of it.

Edit: Mmm... Upgrading sways requires a change from under-body to through-body mounts, which means removing the tank and drilling through the fenders. Apparently not that bad to do but I can wait a little while before going that route.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That seems to depend on the type of bar you go with. A motorsports style straight bar with blade ends, yeah. But Eibach has a set of larger bars with oem fitment. I've only found forums posts about it and they're not the catalog yet though. Looks like you can get ahold of a guy that works there and order them now though.

I generally like bigger swaybars on cars because it lets you keep the spring rates reasonable, especially with a sticky tire. The downside is that it takes away suspension independence so for example a big rear bar can be detrimental to rear end grip on corner exit compared to a smaller bar and a bit more spring rate. The other issue is with damping. The swaybar is still a spring, and that motion still needs to be damped. But it only acts in roll, so in order to adequately control the chassis in roll you wind up overdamped in a straight line which makes the ride worse. Or it's the other way around, where the car is underdamped while cornering.

Of course, we could talk about this all day but it really comes down to driving the car, monitoring tire temps, and timing laps. If you're happy and the tires are happy it doesn't much how you got there. My guess is you're going to need both swaybars and more spring rate for those tires, and shocks to go with them.

What shocks are on it now (bilstein, koni, boge?) and how old are they?

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 13, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Bilstein sports. More damping than the stock springs need so the ride is on the harsh side, so it might actually work with a stiffer sway. That said, it would also work better with stiffer springs in general, but this is still more a weekend car than a track car. I think I might be best finding a little less sticky tire.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 13, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I admire your ability to not say gently caress it and end up with a stripped out, stiff car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BlackMK4 posted:

I admire your ability to not say gently caress it and end up with a stripped out, stiff car.

I'm in that happy place where it's both fun to drive on track and my fiance still enjoys going places in it with me. I fear that any movement in either direction will sacrifice the other!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Strip it and then buy another one and daily it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a dumb question, and I'm really not trying to skirt rules but has anyone had double/triple adjustable dampers and wanted to run a class that limits you to single adjustable? I've heard some people say that you can remove knobs and it will qualify as a less adjustable setup since the intention is more for adjustment between runs. Mine adjust from one allen bolt in the bottom of the shock body and one allen adjuster down the hole in the damper rod.

Is this a dumb question and I should buy SAs or move up class wise? :)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think bumping the torsion bars up 1mm or 2, and then going with the eibach swaybars would be a reasonable plan. Won't make the ride much worse but will really help on track.

And as far as the doubles in enthusiast class goes, I don't know about that. You would have to send GTA an email and they would probably say no to taping off the adjusters or something. After going through the rules I think I personally would just go straight to street class so I could do the front end aero/cooling/ducting the way I wanted. Enthusiast you can only have the splitter attached to the bumper cover for example. Street it can be chassis mounted and stick out 5"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah well. I think my car would be fairly competitive in enthusiast... street, not so much. So much for sandbagging :D

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Don't you have something fancy like penskes on that? Probably can be converted to single adjustable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, 7500DAs. Maybe it's worth giving Penske a call; I'm assuming it's not any harder to rebuild one of these than a motorcycle fork or rear shock, which I've done a number of times. Would be worth it just to swap the fluid anyhow.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
In theory you could just swap the head and separator piston from a SA 7500 shock, and Penske does deliberately make everything straightforward to work on. In practice, the DA valving is going to be generating some additional compression force, so in an ideal world, you should dyno the DA before with where you like the clickers and adjust the valving to where it'll dyno like that without the compression clicker.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Took second in the street class at Chuckwalla CCW for the Maxxis S2000 challenge earlier today, woop. 2:09 was my quickest lap, but I had a 2:08 in me... just couldn't get it done with traffic/flag issues. Slowly improving.

Also, Ryan Passey was there with his LFX Miata that set the Buttonwillow CW13 Miata record last weekend on street tires. He was running 1:52 or 1:53s consistently in heavy traffic, pretty insane. I think the only thing else lapping nearly as quick was a Radical SR3.

This one

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 19, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlackMK4 posted:

Took second in the street class at Chuckwalla CCW for the Maxxis S2000 challenge earlier today, woop. 2:09 was my quickest lap, but I had a 2:08 in me... just couldn't get it done with traffic/flag issues. Slowly improving.

Also, Ryan Passey was there with his LFX Miata that set the Buttonwillow CW13 Miata record last weekend on street tires. He was running 1:52 or 1:53s consistently in heavy traffic, pretty insane. I think the only thing else lapping nearly as quick was a Radical SR3.

This one

That thing rules.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, Ryan Passey was there with his LFX Miata that set the Buttonwillow CW13 Miata record last weekend on street tires.

Street tire record, yes. (1:48.4 IIRC) Miata record, no. That goes to 949Racing's silver NA which ran 1:44.9 on the same day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My mistake. :) I see he posted on instagram today that he managed 1.51s both CW and CCW this past weekend at Chuckwalla. That's pretty quick there.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

So I'm looking to start building a 4cyl "stock' bandit car for dirt circle track racing. The car I managed to pick up for this is a '99 Acura CL 2.3 5-sp car. Anyone here have any experience with this type of racing? I realize that this engine is kinda frowned upon in the honda world, but really ~150HP is all you really need to be competitive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone sat in both a newer Sparco Evo and a Sparco Circuit? Anyone know how they compare fit wise? I have an Evo that I fit into perfectly, though the shoulder harness slot is about a centimeter too low, so the belt sometimes rubs on the upper part. I can get a Circuit for $439 shipped today, so I was curious how they compared sizing wise. The sizing charts don't really compare well.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone sat in both a newer Sparco Evo and a Sparco Circuit? Anyone know how they compare fit wise? I have an Evo that I fit into perfectly, though the shoulder harness slot is about a centimeter too low, so the belt sometimes rubs on the upper part. I can get a Circuit for $439 shipped today, so I was curious how they compared sizing wise. The sizing charts don't really compare well.

That's an amazing deal on the circuit. I'd get a HALO seat over a non halo anyday.

I didn't glance at the size chart but I thought they were very similar in size. Are you sure it was an EVO not an EVO II/III/EU/etc?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I'm positive. It's an Evo LF I bought from Murray Motorsport. gently caress it, worst case I can resell it. I think I'm mostly worried about it sitting me further back since I already can't get as close as I'd like.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I meant to post these a while back. I don’t understand how it’s possible but these are just sparco evos for half the price. Even the hardware is still sparco as is the fia approval. Oreca build half the Le Mans grid and are legit as hell so I assume it must be some kind of sponsorship thing?

https://www.oreca-store.eu/turn-one-trophy-s-race-seat-fia-approved.html

Very good and much more rigid than the pro2000s I used to have.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't get it either. A circuit costs me like $700 through a wholesale distributor. One less middleman, and a good relationship with sparco, I could see that coming down quite a bit, but it's under $400 on murray motorsports. I honestly wonder if they are fake or coming out the back door of the factory or a more cheaply made version for other markets or something. Going to ask around a bit I think.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 28, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

I don't get it either. A circuit costs me like $700 through a wholesale distributor. One less middleman, and a good relationship with sparco, I could see that coming down quite a bit, but it's under $400 on murray motorsports. I honestly wonder if they are fake or coming out the back door of the factory or a more cheaply made version for other markets or something. Going to ask around a bit I think.

I dunno, all of their poo poo is cheap across all brands. They come in the right box, with the right paperwork and FIA stickers. I had assumed it was the tanked exchange rate, but that can't be right.

It's pretty much bullshit, I've now heard that kind of price from both you and Ravi Tomerlin (If you know him). You both have businesses to run, but it seems impossible with the kind of prices Europe gets.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 28, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think you can attribute some of it to the currency exchange rates, right?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Definitely legit Sparco Circuit LF is ~320€ ex. VAT (399€ inc. 24% VAT) in Europe. Either the US importer has terrible deal on freight or they are taking a large cut for themselves.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, could be that plus import costs. Going straight to sparco.it the msrp of the circuit II is 395 euros, or 467 usd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do we know anyone involved with Penske? I need a part ASAFP, but I don't know the number and it's not in their exploded diagram of the shock (7500DA). I need the m12x1.25 shaft with upper spring perch threaded piece that goes on over the rebound adjuster. (piece on the right in the picture)

On the positive side, I've realized that my shocks can more-or-less easily be turned into single adjustable if the sanctioning body is cool with the adjustment hole being welded over, while being reversable for the price of these pieces (or a grinder). Also, they are incredibly modular and easy to work on.

e: SM12MM-STD - $120. gently caress me

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 4, 2017

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://nasaspeed.news/race-coverag...ur-road-racing/

drat I guess I should total up what a spec Miata build would cost. Was thinking of going Honda Challenge 4 but this is a pretty cool incentive and will probably bring more money and competition.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
LOL dude, you don't want to know what a top-tier SM costs to build.

OK Fine. It's right about what the winning purse is. And its *incredibly* competitive already.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Blaise posted:

LOL dude, you don't want to know what a top-tier SM costs to build.

OK Fine. It's right about what the winning purse is. And its *incredibly* competitive already.

Speaking to various people who've finished towards the pointy end of SCCA Runoffs in SM, the famed "top-tier SM builds" aren't necessarily what's being run by the people who are winning. Unless you're looking at it as a "I show up, turn the key on the car that the shop brought to the track, then leave and the shop preps and stores it" there's really not *that* much money to spend legally.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'd listen to one of the more recent slipangle podcasts that Emilio did. The build/running costs are up there, especially once you're looking at running stickers, regularly refreshed pro motors, etc.

You can get a nicely sorted car for under 15k, but that's certainly not build cost. You can't make money doing amateur racing is my point :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I know when I looked at building a spec Miata in 2014 or so it was going to be about 15k minimum before the car even got to the first event, that didn't include cost of the car. Even our chump e30 was sitting at about 10k in before our first event.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Advanced Autosport...
Dave's great and spent several hours going over everything Spec Miata I could think of when I stopped by his shop a few years ago.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 11, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Emilio has an axe to grind here and there - his business isn't running SM cars, he builds for different rules-sets... unless I'm *really* wrong, in SM he's more or less an outsider. I end up having a lot of contact with Advanced Autosport, who are local and have a heavy presence at the race I'm at (and sold us our cage kit and retuned the NC) and are responsible for maintaining a bunch of cars for some very fast drivers.

You can dump "sticker Hoosiers at every event, pro refreshed motor every weekend, etc" money into SM, and a lot of midpack guys do, but the truly fast guys aren't. Before the national championships sure but that's different. There's this whole reputation of all this crap because some people are trying to reach for every advantage they can whether or not it does anything.

And yeah, genuine build cost is going to be around 10-15k unless you luck out on a bunch of stuff... I completely, totally, 100% agree with the "you can't make money amateur racing" bit.

Of course, the big problem is that I don't think NASA's tech inspectors are going to be willing to go to the same lengths as SCCA's Runoffs level tech inspectors, so maybe we will see a whole bunch of money spent on cheating.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Correct, emilio builds for different classes and runs his own series (supermiata). But I don't think his critique is too far out of line - I never see any of the local NASANE guys who are running junkyard motors on the podium. Mid-pack? Sure. But we're talking about winning here, that's how it came up :)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm not saying "run junkyard motors"; there's about 10hp there. But the pro built motors under the hoods of some of the folks going to the SCCA Runoffs (Advanced preps stuff for some of the real heavyweights in the class) are going several seasons between refreshes.

Mind you, these guys get a hell of a lot of seat time. There's a few guys who I've seen running two classes at every day SCCA or Midwestern Council puts on. You are going to go through a few tires that way though.

From asking around, having Advanced Autosports or East Street hand you a new built car would be in the 30-40k range. Hell, the car that won this year's runoffs sold for 35k.

But then again, I bet there's a lot of stuff NASA tech inspectors wouldn't catch that you could spend money on... ;)

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

just got my black friday sparco circuit in from murray motorsports today. sat in it and instantly realized i'm a fat goon. so, anyone looking for a new seat? going to email them and see if I can get a deal on a circuit II.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish. It's smaller than the Evo, which is a perfect fit for me.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Unsane posted:

just got my black friday sparco circuit in from murray motorsports today. sat in it and instantly realized i'm a fat goon. so, anyone looking for a new seat? going to email them and see if I can get a deal on a circuit II.

Where you located?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Unsane posted:

Very interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Follow up: emailed Murray and they gave me a pretty good deal on a circuit II, just sold the first circuit locally.

Unsane fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 2, 2018