Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Are you equating queer male sexuality with anal penetration? That's hella not classy, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

infiniteguest posted:

Are you equating queer male sexuality with anal penetration? That's hella not classy, bro.

Do you serve roast high horse in your avant garde syrup-free restaurant?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Do you serve roast high horse in your avant garde syrup-free restaurant?

Well for that they have to get a hell of a lot of Marijuana for a high horse roast.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Well for that they have to get a hell of a lot of Marijuana for a high horse roast.

Nouvelle Colorado Cuisine

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
I'll be honest with you - we aren't syrup free. We serve warm maple syrup with the pancakes at brunch.

The high horse is cooked sous vide before being ground, frozen in liquid nitrogen, and pureed in a paco jet. The resulting mealy paste is delivered room temperature to the guest via a feeding tube generally reserved for foie gras ducks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

infiniteguest posted:

I'll be honest with you - we aren't syrup free. We serve warm maple syrup with the pancakes at brunch.

The high horse is cooked sous vide before being ground, frozen in liquid nitrogen, and pureed in a paco jet. The resulting mealy paste is delivered room temperature to the guest via a feeding tube generally reserved for foie gras ducks.

Seems like you could skip the hot man-on-man grinding step and just pulverize the frozen horse meat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Turkeybone posted:

1) Yes, those descriptors infiniteguest used dont seem accurate.
2) Do you really have to bite his loving head off?
3) When you say "seared onions that maintain their crunch" it makes me think "raw onions."

You are right, I should not have gotten angry but it was late at night,my pain medication was wearing off (I just had surgery) and his flippant fag comment pushed me over the edge.

Also on the onions think stir fry texture.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
:boom:

just wanted to say i appreciate both sides of this discussion equally, and you two should probably dock your cocks

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Rajjoble posted:

:boom:

just wanted to say i appreciate both sides of this discussion equally, and you two should probably dock your cocks

This is the proper industry advice.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I had the worst loving dream last night. I made the mistake of telling my boss where I used to work and it gave him the idea to open a Greek-style barbecue restaurant. I was in charge of cleaning six of these giant smokers I used when working at Caveman Kitchens that were each about the size of a prison cell and had years of the most unspeakable filth accumulated in it. And when that was almost done I had to go out and buy about a hundred pounds each of beef, pork, lamb and chicken and trim/cut it all for souvlaki but the only beef I could find was all gnarly and full of bone shards and gristle. :psyduck:

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Safety Dance posted:

Seems like you could skip the hot man-on-man grinding step and just pulverize the frozen horse meat.

Obviously it was a joke but you grind something like that to increase surface area and reduce the amount of required liquid nitrogen to freeze, and also so you don't destroy the paco.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

infiniteguest posted:

Continued:

Like what's the point of putting a loving syrup on all four dishes? Do you actually hate the taste of food? Do you smoke fifty cigarettes a day and only the cloying charge of your homoerotically-inclined "lemon-thyme gastrique" can punch through the film of your deadened palate?

I mean gently caress dude you can't even take honey to the plate without smoking it. This is some Rachel Ray level of garbage posturing as cuisine.

So what you're saying is... too many notes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCud8H7z7vU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

infiniteguest posted:

Obviously it was a joke but you grind something like that to increase surface area and reduce the amount of required liquid nitrogen to freeze, and also so you don't destroy the paco.

I learned something today. Thank you.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
Had our health inspection today, which required minor running around checking for violations while the chef chatted him up. Only thing they found was a pan of recently diced tomatoes at 50 degrees, he said we have to put them in the walk in to get down to 41 in temp.

Also mentioned something about how wild salmon should be down at 31 degrees?!? didn't cite us, and I heard it second hand from the prep cooks, but it was something about wild salmon having the possibility of parasites. I'd honestly never heard of that.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Murkyhumor posted:

Had our health inspection today, which required minor running around checking for violations while the chef chatted him up. Only thing they found was a pan of recently diced tomatoes at 50 degrees, he said we have to put them in the walk in to get down to 41 in temp.

Also mentioned something about how wild salmon should be down at 31 degrees?!? didn't cite us, and I heard it second hand from the prep cooks, but it was something about wild salmon having the possibility of parasites. I'd honestly never heard of that.

Was it smoked?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Murkyhumor posted:

Ten fewer degrees wouldn't make any difference to any parasite that might still be infesting your salmon, which isn't anything you should worry about unless it's legit fresh.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I have a food safety manager certificate which (in the US) allows me to oversee an entire kitchen or food production facility... I've never heard about any additional restrictions on wild salmon vs. Farmed/conventional salmon, nor ever had it mentioned as part of my education or 15 years in the service industry. It's possible your state has an additional or specific regulation but, yeah. That sounds like bullshit. My understanding is that farmed salmon is actually more prone to parasites than wild but both are to be kept at the temp to not allow parasites or bacteria to foster.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I mean, from a food cost standpoint you want to keep your fish on ice all the time -- I forget the specific numbers but it's something like one degree above x per hour translates to one day less of shelf life... ANYWAY just keep it iced (cut flesh never touching ice, with plenty of drainage etc)!

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
It's sibs weekend at the local university. From 6pm tonight until 3 pm Sunday we're projecting to do about 4/5ths the sales that we'd do in a normal week. Please send booze.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I believe the unsmoked fish at a lower temp applies in NY as well. May need a refresher.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Second job interview I have gone into that isn't quite what they advertised on Poached. First one was for head chef. I knew I wasn't that qualified but they called me back and set up an interview. I get there and the guy tells me I am interviewing for line cook... well at least he let me know early. Second job was advertised as sous, which I am qualified for, but I get there and they tell me they are looking for production. This one might be a cool job but man.

Getting sort of bummed here. Left my good paying asst. manager job of four years to go try fine dining. Got my rear end handed to me for six months and realized fine dining is not my jam. Being a 20 year industry vet and starting over sucks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well tonight's Mardi Gras party is off to a good start. 20 covers before the band even started and their groupies haven't even gotten here yet.

I hope I made enough étouffée.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

sporklift posted:

Second job interview I have gone into that isn't quite what they advertised on Poached. First one was for head chef. I knew I wasn't that qualified but they called me back and set up an interview. I get there and the guy tells me I am interviewing for line cook... well at least he let me know early. Second job was advertised as sous, which I am qualified for, but I get there and they tell me they are looking for production. This one might be a cool job but man.

Getting sort of bummed here. Left my good paying asst. manager job of four years to go try fine dining. Got my rear end handed to me for six months and realized fine dining is not my jam. Being a 20 year industry vet and starting over sucks.

That is no fun man :(.

If you live near Houston I know a few places that are looking for capable managers and chefs. If anything, you could always get into the service side of things and walk with a couple bills every night in fine dining.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Secret Spoon posted:

That is no fun man :(.

If you live near Houston I know a few places that are looking for capable managers and chefs. If anything, you could always get into the service side of things and walk with a couple bills every night in fine dining.

I'm in Portland. We have, like, four culinary schools so the market is saturated and the pay is pretty lovely. Cooks tend to get tips in this town though.

I am not cut out for front of the house. Can't stand people. The prevalence of open kitchens and chef's counters kills me. I just wanna keep my head down, bust some rear end and go home like the good old days. I am busy and I don't need some dumbass who calls themselves a foodie and twitstagrams the entire meal asking me questions in the middle of getting crushed.

poo poo. Just frustrated.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

sporklift posted:

I'm in Portland. We have, like, four culinary schools so the market is saturated and the pay is pretty lovely. Cooks tend to get tips in this town though.

I am not cut out for front of the house. Can't stand people. The prevalence of open kitchens and chef's counters kills me. I just wanna keep my head down, bust some rear end and go home like the good old days. I am busy and I don't need some dumbass who calls themselves a foodie and twitstagrams the entire meal asking me questions in the middle of getting crushed.

poo poo. Just frustrated.

I hear you brother. I made a huge shift in gears a year and half ago getting into what I'm doing now. Went from handling millions of dollars in aircraft parts and repairs to selling steak (and literally making double doing). I was super frustrated for like 5 months and felt like I had become a huge failure.

If Portland is where your net is, where your family and friends are, you can make something work man. Im honestly so green I cant even think of a way to help, but I can say that I totally understand losing years of your life on a mistake. I will also say this, it inst anything you cant recover from. With 20 years experience, there have to be people who want you working for them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
What's the legal situation if I have the flu officially and my work still wants me to come in? Is there any law protecting me from repercussion for not coming in?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

goodness posted:

What's the legal situation if I have the flu officially and my work still wants me to come in? Is there any law protecting me from repercussion for not coming in?

do you live in the US? if so, lol

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

do you live in the US? if so, lol

Yeah, does the health oversight agency not care?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

goodness posted:

Yeah, does the health oversight agency not care?

I'm sorry, I can't parse the words you just used when applied to the United States.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

goodness posted:

It depends on your state. But if you have a doctors note showing you have the flu they would be loving stupid to want you at work.

Edit: also keep in mind firing you for being sick with a doctors visit to back it up is prime unemployment money scenario.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 8, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It depends on your state. But if you have a doctors note showing you have the flu they would be loving stupid to want you at work.

Edit: also keep in mind firing you for being sick with a doctors visit to back it up is prime unemployment money scenario.

Well, I've never been on unemployment but I'm always up for a new experience.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only time I've ever claimed unemployment I spent 8 months in court for 3 weeks pay because apparently my employer is allowed to appeal and request a hearing, then not show up for it, over and over FOREVER. It didn't stop until I accused the court of being complicit in harassing me since I'd missed 6 days of work at my new job at that point trying to attend appeals that the appellant wasn't coming to.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
God damned bartender came to work last night with the flu. So of course my immune system is shot because of my surgery a week ago, now I have the loving flu.

Stay home if you are sick.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God damned bartender came to work last night with the flu. So of course my immune system is shot because of my surgery a week ago, now I have the loving flu.

Stay home if you are sick.

We can't if we get in trouble :/

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Trouble is a fake idea! Or something.

I'm seriously weighing my options between a computer engineering scholarship that will pay 50% of my tuition at a reputable university if I keep my grades up or getting screamed at over moules au safran full time. Help.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Simoom posted:

I'm seriously weighing my options between a computer engineering scholarship that will pay 50% of my tuition at a reputable university if I keep my grades up or getting screamed at over moules au safran full time. Help.

learn. make money.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Simoom posted:

One of these things will leave you broken and useless by 40, the other is a field full of high-paying desk jobs that just require you to keep semi-recent and have some kind of work ethic to prosper.

You know your path.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Simoom posted:

I make literally more than 10 times what I made cooking (which I did for a decade) as a software developer with no degree.

This shouldn't even be a question.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Same here. ~10 years in kitchens, made three times my best year's total in nine months of datacenter work this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Shut the gently caress up all of you, I'm still trying to make this kitchen poo poo work. I'm only 6 years deep, but I'm 6 years removed from my almost-completed engineering degree so there ain't no going back now, suckaaaaaas.

• Locked thread