Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
We ended up playing for 10 hours straight and I had dreams about belts afterward.

How do you manage resources in the mid to late game? Do you deposit them in a central depot somewhere and have logistic robots/smart inserters grab what's needed for production?
We currently have a sprawl of belts that carry resources where they're needed, but it's messy, hard to extend and incredibly unstable.

I'm trying not to look up too much about game strategies right now, since discovering new ways of doing things is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You could look into trains, when belts become too long and unwieldy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A common system is to use a bus - a long trunk of parallel belts carrying common components that branch off into sub-factories for the more advanced parts.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
This bus can be as sparse as three belts (iron plates, copper plates, green circuits because they are used in mass quantities in advanced parts) or as dense as all partial components.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's not the biggest one that a goon has produced but check my post history in this thread for THE BUS. I explain some reasoning for it which you may may find helpful.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
With the game approaching release is anyone considering a new op?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Solumin posted:

We ended up playing for 10 hours straight and I had dreams about belts afterward.

How do you manage resources in the mid to late game? Do you deposit them in a central depot somewhere and have logistic robots/smart inserters grab what's needed for production?
We currently have a sprawl of belts that carry resources where they're needed, but it's messy, hard to extend and incredibly unstable.

I'm trying not to look up too much about game strategies right now, since discovering new ways of doing things is really fun.

Once your first factory reaches a certain size it can be helpful to create a new one in a convenient location so you can take advantage of what you've learned and the technologies you've unlocked to
build something more efficient.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I prefer logistics systems for handling resource movement, bus feels limiting in how adaptable it can be. I set up a warehouse basically (bunch of storage chests around a roboport) where all resources move to and distributed to various factories using the provider and requester chests.

Example: Roboport surrounded by storage chests, and then a few train depots to handle input and output into the warehouse. Trains then distribute resources to where they are needed or bring in resources to the warehouse.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I don't know much about modding, but I really wish there was a cheap item that could recharge logistics/construction robots. Don't have to store them or even add logistic/construction area, just recharge them. Roboports are a pain in the rear end to make.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the advice! I started over with a new game to try it out. The bus is so much easier to handle! I went with the really simple Iron Plate--Copper Plate--Green Circuit bus, though I might expand it with red circuits once I get those going.

Now I'm trying to transport batteries and plastic from my petrochemical plant up to the main factory. I think trains + logistic robots would be the easiest way, since there's a lot of geography in the way...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Someone had a beautiful chemical plant somewhere in the thread. Anyone remember who made it?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Mighta been me... Lemme dig it up

edit: Might mean this (I have a better design since, but I don't see my pics of it argh)

Evilreaver posted:

Brother I know cracking. I crack like spiderman. That analysis was basically for 'just fuel' refineries, it's basically impossible to balance oil throughput against plastic and batteries and whatnot, so it's best to keep pumping oil in until your petrol tanks fill, until the wells die and you do it again.

E: VVV Nope!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 14, 2016

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Solumin posted:

Thanks for the advice! I started over with a new game to try it out. The bus is so much easier to handle! I went with the really simple Iron Plate--Copper Plate--Green Circuit bus, though I might expand it with red circuits once I get those going.

Now I'm trying to transport batteries and plastic from my petrochemical plant up to the main factory. I think trains + logistic robots would be the easiest way, since there's a lot of geography in the way...

If your oilfields aren't too far away, you can run them closer to your base before setting up your refineries. You can also put liquids on your bus by running underground pipes. Running lubricant, petroleum, and water will help keep your manufacturing all in the same area and can keep you from having a million sulfur and plastic bars in belt storage.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Evilreaver posted:

Mighta been me... Lemme dig it up

edit: Might mean this (I have a better design since, but I don't see my pics of it argh)

Yep!
Thank you!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
When running pipes, read and understand this post first

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066

It will help you understand why there's nothing coming out the pipe at the end even though you have umpteen inputs. Personally I find 2 or 3 pump stations plenty since that still lets you have a lot of pipe in between stations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Royal W posted:

If your oilfields aren't too far away, you can run them closer to your base before setting up your refineries. You can also put liquids on your bus by running underground pipes. Running lubricant, petroleum, and water will help keep your manufacturing all in the same area and can keep you from having a million sulfur and plastic bars in belt storage.

They're pretty far, and there's a large lakes in the way. (Main factory is on the north shore, refinery + chemical plants on the south shore, oil fields further south east of that.) I actually kind of like having the petrochemical stuff away from the main factory -- it feels neater for some reason. They have their own iron, copper and coal fields and electricity network.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Went ahead and bought this a few days ago and it's a lot of fun. Been trying out a line layout I found in a tutorial video on YouTube where you keep one big resource line as a central pipe with factory lines coming off on the sides. I'm only on the third campaign mission but it's a lot more interesting than the free-form play. Are there any good custom scenarios you guys can recommend? I'm still in the green science area and haven't gotten to blue yet.

Edit: Also any mods that are recommended for when I get a good handle on the game?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 17, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: Also any mods that are recommended for when I get a good handle on the game?
Blowing my own trumpet, but my Side Inserters mod has been fairly well-received. It adds 90° left and right versions of all the inserter types, which you can change back to normal by building and picking up again. Useful for compact builds.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

GotLag posted:

Blowing my own trumpet, but my Side Inserters mod has been fairly well-received. It adds 90° left and right versions of all the inserter types, which you can change back to normal by building and picking up again. Useful for compact builds.

Going to second this. This is easily one of the best gameplay-enhancing mods I've found. Didn't realize it was goon-made!

Also be sure to look up electric furnaces.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Along with GotLag's Side Inserters I always use the following mods.

UpGrade
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13812

Longer underground belts and pipes, longer range substations and power cables.

Straight Pipes
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=16373

Non-auto connecting pipes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

That's a nice one, added it to my game.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
:f5: Can't wait for the Steam version so it can start logging the number of hours I play, as well as the achievements!

There's a new fire mechanic on the way, I wonder if they'll add some ability to extinguish them. My play from a few years ago informed me that trees are important for pollution control, so erasing a whole forest to a fire seems like a bad thing. On the other hand it saves shotgun rounds when you really don't want a forest in the way of your buildings, I guess.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

texasmed posted:

On the other hand it saves shotgun rounds when you really don't want a forest in the way of your buildings, I guess.

This what the personal roboport and deconstruction planner are for :science:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Boogalo posted:

This what the personal roboport and deconstruction planner are for :science:

Once the fire mechanic is in it'll all burn. All of it. I'll make maps with extra forest juat to burn it all.

It was a sad day when notch nerfed the fire mechanic in minecraft, now I can have it back!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Caconym posted:

Once the fire mechanic is in it'll all burn. All of it. I'll make maps with extra forest juat to burn it all.

It was a sad day when notch nerfed the fire mechanic in minecraft, now I can have it back!

Nothing beats the alchemical fire from the Thaumcraft addons in pure destructive power.

So is the steam release a new version with more stuff in it, or is it an early access with the alpha build that's up now?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

So is the steam release a new version with more stuff in it, or is it an early access with the alpha build that's up now?

I don't think it'll be early access, but it'll be the current version, including the challenge maps.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-126

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/

:woop:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bob's Mod's are concentrated sperg, holy poo poo. So many intermediate steps but at least it dumps a bunch of complexity on you once you've gotten bored of the base game.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Demiurge4 posted:

Bob's Mod's are concentrated sperg, holy poo poo. So many intermediate steps but at least it dumps a bunch of complexity on you once you've gotten bored of the base game.

I have described Factorio as 'candied Asperger's Syndrome'

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I have described Factorio as 'candied Asperger's Syndrome'

100% Accurate.

Bob's mods does a lot of stuff with fluids and various chemical products than the base game and I really like this. Water has a bunch more uses but it's also easily available through the pump which seems to create it out of nothing, and you can pretty easily set up a local chain for whatever reaction you need. I've been thinking that the biters don't really add much to the game, it's just an impetus to build turrets and it would be great if the game had more features besides the building aspect though I'm sure that is planned.

Something I'd like to see is flowing water. Rivers that feed into an ocean or large lake and other types of pollution that you need to dispense with. Redirecting chemical byproducts into a river or reservoir that creates new types of pollution and triggers biter mutations in bases situated along the river. If you tap the river downstream for industries you'd need to purify it first, etc.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Steam Key are out, you can grab them from the website now, though it doesn't come out on Steam until Thursday.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Will 0.13 be part of the steam release? Or is there still no release date for that?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Coming after, but they did a small patch today with new music and a few bugfixes.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I'm pretty excited to get an achievement system into the game. I've been thinking about how to build a factory with the limitation of manually crafting up to 111 items. I figure once automation is researched and a couple factories are built, it's not so difficult, but I think it's gonna be a pain keeping track of how many items I've built.

I think my first strategy is going to be to just use a bunch of boxes instead of belts to get started, with just enough power buildings to get it done. Extra points for not playing on peaceful mode :flame:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I had to sperg and total it

Things you MUST build manually:

1 small pole
-2 wood planks
-2 copper wire

1 offshore pump
-2 electronic circuits
--6 copper wire
-1 pipe
-1 gear

1 boiler
-0 stone furnace(already provided)
-1 pipe

1 steam engine
-5 gears
-5 pipes

1 lab
-10 circuits
--30 copper cable
-10 cogs
-4 transport belts
--4 cogs
-
10 red science
-10 gears
1 assembly machine 1
-3 circuits
--6 copper wire
-5 gears
1 assembly machine 2(no manual construction of components required)

which... totals 124. Maybe the cables count as half because you're making 2 each time???

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
you also need to mine the raw materials and fuel for all of those

That said I could see a scenario focused around that completely removing the player's ability to craft and mine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Krysmphoenix posted:

you also need to mine the raw materials and fuel for all of those

That said I could see a scenario focused around that completely removing the player's ability to craft and mine.

That'd take forever without an iron pickaxe.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
1 Small Pole
1 Offshore Pump
1 Boiler
1 Steam Engine
1 Lab
10 Red Science Packs
1 Assembler

2 Planks (crafts: 1)
47 Wires (crafts: 24)
33 Gears
7 Pipes
15 Circuits
4 Belts (crafts: 2)

Total crafts required: 98

This gives you some leeway for pickaxes, furnaces and crates.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I was glancing through the Factorio mods the other day and there's one that adds a "no hand-crafting" challenge mode. It starts you off with a burner assembly machine: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=17940

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In anticipation of the Steam release, I'd like some balance feedback on my Electric Furnaces mod.
Furnaces burning fuel directly convert fuel to energy at 100% efficiency, boilers and steam engines convert fuel to electricity with 50% efficiency.
Vanilla:
Stone furnace: 180 kW burner, speed 1
Steel furnace: 180 kW burner, speed 2
Electric furnace: 180 kW (fuel equivalent 360), speed 2 (2 upgrade slots)

My mod:
Electric stone furnace: 135 kW (270), speed 1
Electric steel furnace: 180 kW (360), speed 2
Advanced electric furnace: 225 kW (450), speed 4 (4 upgrade slots)

Should I raise the electric stone furnace 180 kW, to more strongly incentivise upgrading to steel? Not having to route coal to the furnaces is a pretty big bonus, I wonder if the current 50% increase in fuel use is sufficient to balance that.