Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
They have stats for Dark Troopers from DF1 and heck, they have pictures of Jerec littered across the F&D books. I was just looking for something like the info they had on Nar Shaddaa with DM ideas and locals.

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I really hope that in Rogue One that the Death Star plans are just a fakeout, they find them in the opening scene, and then the rest of the movie is Jyn taking down the Dark Trooper Project. Yeah, I basically just want Dark Forces:: The Movie.

Especially because that means the sequel is Jedi Knight, which is basically just a samurai movie in space. :hellyeah:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So I'm thinking about using this system to run a Star Wars game. Now I've played plenty of d6, but I have an infernal appetite for new game systems so I want to try this one out. What I want to do is run an Imperials game so my question is "how easy is it to hack Age of Rebellion into such a thing?"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dr. Tough posted:

So I'm thinking about using this system to run a Star Wars game. Now I've played plenty of d6, but I have an infernal appetite for new game systems so I want to try this one out. What I want to do is run an Imperials game so my question is "how easy is it to hack Age of Rebellion into such a thing?"

Super easy. The classes are built as military dudes, not specifically rebel dudes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; this system is super hackable re: different factions/time periods within the Star Wars universe.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

That's good news, I was just skimming through and wasn't sure how well the "duty" mechanic would translate.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dr. Tough posted:

That's good news, I was just skimming through and wasn't sure how well the "duty" mechanic would translate.

Everywhere that it says "Rebel" or "Alliance" in Duty just cross them out and write "Imperial" or "Empire" instead.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If what I've seen from this thread and goon games in general are any indication, it's perfect at running Imp games, because god knows that seems to be the only thing people around here run.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ProfessorCirno posted:

If what I've seen from this thread and goon games in general are any indication, it's perfect at running Imp games, because god knows that seems to be the only thing people around here run.

Hey, TIE Fighter was a drat good game, okay?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's also a hilariously common trope in star wars to have the hero of the empire defect to the rebellion for reasons.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

kingcom posted:

It's also a hilariously common trope in star wars to have the hero of the empire defect to the rebellion for reasons.

Mostly because you can't have a character who isn't literally hitler and have them be in the Empire for long.

What with them being literally facist genocidal maniacs and all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's okay, we shot our officer.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Mostly because you can't have a character who isn't literally hitler and have them be in the Empire for long.

What with them being literally facist genocidal maniacs and all.

It's why I want to run a 5-minutes-after-EpIII campaign at some point. It's the Republic, then they switch uniforms and paint out the squadron markings and every single military officer, government official, and taxpaying citizen apparently becomes suddenly evil. The process by which Palps insinuates the old Sith Empire into place until it's wearing the Galactic Republic like a skin seems like a more interesting place to be than that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Madurai posted:

The process by which Palps insinuates the old Sith Empire into place until it's wearing the Galactic Republic like a skin seems like a more interesting place to be than that.

There's definitely story there, that game basically has 20 years it can cover.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Madurai posted:

It's why I want to run a 5-minutes-after-EpIII campaign at some point. It's the Republic, then they switch uniforms and paint out the squadron markings and every single military officer, government official, and taxpaying citizen apparently becomes suddenly evil. The process by which Palps insinuates the old Sith Empire into place until it's wearing the Galactic Republic like a skin seems like a more interesting place to be than that.

I mean, literally look to the rise of facism during WWII for why stuff happened. The republic was crippled, in massive debt, people were starving to death, inflation was huge, they had just gotten out of the largest most costly war anyone had ever seen. Palpatine takes command as the emergency head, and he fixes things. He causes the economy to stop plummeting, he causes people to stop starving, he looks good on paper, he looks like a genius, who is fixing all of the problems the republic has.

He is just doing this on the backs of Othering 'undesirables' like aliens, and forcing people into slave labor and poo poo like that, over time blaming these people for all the problems the proper, human Imperials had, that they no longer do.

This is literally the 'story' for how he came to power and how the Empire became the Empire. It wasn't exactly subtle in how it went 'THE EMPIRE IS LITERALLY NAZI GERMANY'

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hell half the reason Palpatine can fix all those things is that he was causing them in the first place.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have to admit that full on Age of Rebellion games seem like the least played sort compared to Edge of the Empire bounty hunters and smugglers or Force & Destiny Jedi hijinks.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

wiegieman posted:

Hell half the reason Palpatine can fix all those things is that he was causing them in the first place.

Well yeah, which is why he could fix all of them and blame them on other things, to reinforce how his rhetoric was correct.

It's not like 'everyone in the galaxy is evil', it's that an Imperial game, by sheer loving existence as being an Imperial game is not about the 'innocent taxpayers', it's about members of the imperial military. The ones who are enslaving planets, bombarding non-human species, who are wiping out dissidents daily without second thoughts.

If you want to change how Evil with a capital E the Empire is for your game, that's fine, but yes, there is a reason why 'all the good people leave the empire'

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I have to admit that full on Age of Rebellion games seem like the least played sort compared to Edge of the Empire bounty hunters and smugglers or Force & Destiny Jedi hijinks.

It is, which is too bad since AoR is probably the most well designed of the three. Each career and spec is more cohesive and focused, and there's few to no 'wasted' talents on things that most characters playing a specific spec are likely to never have use for.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kai Tave posted:

It's probably a bit of compensation for how things were previously (anecdotally, every single supplement I'd ever seen for WEG d6 involved the players being in the Rebellion; and I don't recall any official Imperial sourcebook or anything for d20 but I might be wrong there), and a bit of the sign of the times. Up until fairly recently (within the last 15ish years?), the idea of Star Wars as this black-and-white moral universe has been challenged by a lot of people who want to see more shades of grey injected into the setting, for better or worse.

Anecdotally though I'd have thought F&D was the least-played of the three core games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Drone posted:

It's probably a bit of compensation for how things were previously (anecdotally, every single supplement I'd ever seen for WEG d6 involved the players being in the Rebellion; and I don't recall any official Imperial sourcebook or anything for d20 but I might be wrong there), and a bit of the sign of the times. Up until fairly recently (within the last 15ish years?), the idea of Star Wars as this black-and-white moral universe has been challenged by a lot of people who want to see more shades of grey injected into the setting, for better or worse.

I read a synopsis of one of the novels that's come out since Disney acquired the property and it sounds utterly ridiculous. It's the story of these two kids who grow up and both join the Imperial Navy and eventually things get strained for various reasons and one of them defects to join the Rebellion since he sees the Empire for what it is. Meanwhile the other one refuses his repeated efforts to get her to defect along with him, her reasoning being? That if all the good people leave the Empire then only the bad people will remain, and she wants to try and fix things from the inside.

This is after Alderaan gets blown up btw. So the Empire has literally committed planetcide by this point but hey, that's no reason to jump ship :downs:

People who try to inject shades of grey into Star Wars are frequently terrible at it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
star wars is a children's story that doesn't have shades of grey because it would be confusing to have two factions of grey fighting each other

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I pay about as much attention to most Star Wars books as I do to most 40K books. A small number are the equivalent of literary junk food, and I ignore the rest.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I read a synopsis of one of the novels that's come out since Disney acquired the property and it sounds utterly ridiculous. It's the story of these two kids who grow up and both join the Imperial Navy and eventually things get strained for various reasons and one of them defects to join the Rebellion since he sees the Empire for what it is. Meanwhile the other one refuses his repeated efforts to get her to defect along with him, her reasoning being? That if all the good people leave the Empire then only the bad people will remain, and she wants to try and fix things from the inside.

This is after Alderaan gets blown up btw. So the Empire has literally committed planetcide by this point but hey, that's no reason to jump ship :downs:

People who try to inject shades of grey into Star Wars are frequently terrible at it.

Yeah shades of grey in general is super dumb. I figured Death Star is the point where anyone remotely look jumps ship. Prior to that its pretty easy to pretend its all okay or view the propoganda as truth but when you blow up a planet you set your moral lines pretty hard and fast. I feel the good story is the kind where everyone is trying to get out with being killed for it but not trusting anyone else because they might turn you in.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Lost Stars is a young adult novel, I wouldn't expect any more shades of grey out of it than from Hunger Games. :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kai Tave posted:

That's why my players skipped right to the "any means necessary" stage. The recent death of a pc dropped their obligation by a massive 17.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

Drone posted:

Anecdotally though I'd have thought F&D was the least-played of the three core games.

Makes sense that AoR is the least played...EotE was 1) the first of the line released and 2) a good fit for the sort of rag-tag group of murderhobos that a lot of casual RPG groups tend to embody. AoR is assuming s a lot of regular interaction with a military chain of command, unless the group is like a commando squad left to their own devices...in which case that's just an EotE campaign with better hardware.

As for F&D...the first question out of a LOT of people's mouths was "where's the Jedi??" when EotE hit. Star Wars tends to lead to an expectation of playing a glowstick warrior with psychic powers. While I personally love getting away from that from time to time, Jedi are rather synonymous with the setting for a lot of people.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Players don't like taking orders in RPGs and AoR involves taking orders more than the other two. It's also the least "let's just kill the quest-giver" of the three.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Players don't like taking orders in RPGs and AoR involves taking orders more than the other two. It's also the least "let's just kill the quest-giver" of the three.

Much more succinct than my post, haha.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Madurai posted:

So! I just ran the first session of my campaign, set 15 ABY, yesterday, and once we get things rolling, I'm planning to make the big stuff about that -- a third of the party is recently-defected imperials, who JUST NOW realized that things have gone very wrong indeed. (frex: a Clone who had gone over to recruiting duty, who realized, in the space of about a month, that a: a distressing number of his most-talented recruits were being vanished and b: his latest "recruiting tour" had just become a "kidnapping mission") We don't have a lot of new-canon info on the exact timeline of the Lasat genocide, and the enslavements of the Wookies and Mon Calamari, so I'm putting them ALL in the immediate past or ongoing. Right now, all of the characters want to just get by and stay under the radar of the Empire for whatever reason (deserters, separatist droid, heiress from a family that fell out of favor during the reorganization), and I'm going to see what it takes to make them to actually turn on the Empire rather than just trying to get along.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

jivjov posted:

As for F&D...the first question out of a LOT of people's mouths was "where's the Jedi??" when EotE hit. Star Wars tends to lead to an expectation of playing a glowstick warrior with psychic powers. While I personally love getting away from that from time to time, Jedi are rather synonymous with the setting for a lot of people.

Well that's because space wizards with laser swords that can cut through anything own, have owned forever, and will always own. I get that people want more stories about ordinary joes (and they're right), but for me personally it's the Jedi that keep me coming back to Star Wars time and time again, ever since ten-year-old me watched Luke light up a motherfucking green lightsaber and completely kick the poo poo out of Jabba's goons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ninjahedgehog posted:

Well that's because space wizards with laser swords that can cut through anything own, have owned forever, and will always own. I get that people want more stories about ordinary joes (and they're right), but for me personally it's the Jedi that keep me coming back to Star Wars time and time again, ever since ten-year-old me watched Luke light up a motherfucking green lightsaber and completely kick the poo poo out of Jabba's goons.

Accurate.

God I hope the green saber pops up in the Sequel Trilogy

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jivjov posted:

Accurate.

God I hope the green saber pops up in the Sequel Trilogy

Was anyone else really put off by the fact that the saber Rey uses is the hand-me-down Anakin Skywalker lightsaber? The same one that Luke lost with his hand and that plummeted out of the ventilation chute on Cloud City and down into the Bespin atmosphere, being forever lost?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Was anyone else really put off by the fact that the saber Rey uses is the hand-me-down Anakin Skywalker lightsaber? The same one that Luke lost with his hand and that plummeted out of the ventilation chute on Cloud City and down into the Bespin atmosphere, being forever lost?

That's an excellent question...for another time.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Drone posted:

Not really. In the old EU both the hand and the lightsaber were recovered and the hand was used to clone Luuke Skywalker by Joruus C'baoth. Then I think Luke gave the blue saber to Mara Jade and I think she lost it later? So by comparison the new canon has 2 fewer dumb clones with an extra u in their names.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Drone posted:

We never saw it go out of Cloud City, though. It dropped down, certainly, but never showed up again. Presumably it didn't fall down the same series of tubes that Luke did. After all, there was that one that suddenly opened up underneath him, which led directly to him falling onto the antenna.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh god...I just had a horrible thought...if the lightsaber was recovered, the hand might have been too. What if Episode VIII or IX has a clone of Luke? Or what if that's who Snoke is?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

Oh god...I just had a horrible thought...if the lightsaber was recovered, the hand might have been too. What if Episode VIII or IX has a clone of Luke? Or what if that's who Snoke is?

We don't ask about what's in the stew at Maz's cantina.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jivjov posted:

General Hux intimates that Snoke has considered a clone army...

But this has been covered in EU pretty extensively. You don't remember Luuke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

No, that's not true. That's impossible.