Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

What is he saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"Today I can say with certainty: I want to be president again. I'm going to ask the Brazilian people for permission to vote for me."
- Google Translate

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Negrostrike posted:

Is this real

http://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2017/04/28/politica/1493403387_106996.html

It is!

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Negrostrike posted:

Is this real

the most obvious reaction. why are you guys surprised?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Magrov posted:

why are you guys surprised?

it is a trump-level shoot yourself in the foot maneuver

PMDB (the party in power) is a hydra and it just snacked one of their own heads

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Could someone outline the most outrageous points in the labor reform?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcOcB0jqOc

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Freezer posted:

If an employee is injured or dies while working, and the employer is to blame, the damages are proportional to the wages.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I've never been more disheartened by my country. It's not even over the success/failure of the strike*. Just the general mood and the quality of the debate. People I thought were smart and moderate openly calling for mass arrests and executions of undesirables. Types who were rabidly anti-corruption affecting a jaw-unhinging yawn at the nakedly, bizarrely dysfunctional government they helped put in place. Former friends descending to grade-school level 'trolling' of each other.

At this point the only question will be who will be the pre-fab parachuted savior who will be anointed as the Great Moderate Hope and return everything to the normality of paying interest, keeping your mouth shut and wanting to be like the boss, with plentiful nightstick blows to anyone who objects, if they are ever noticed at all.

*- I never had expectations for that in the first place, to be honest. Strikes and demonstrations are a known quantity at this point, easy to deflect/demonize or lionize according to what the narratives of power require. They'll hasten the fall of truly moribund governments that already lost all other media/institutional once in a while, but no more. You could have clogged every single street in Brazil with ten million people and it'd still have gone back to business as usual the next monday.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Freezer posted:

It allows for employees to collectively bargain worse conditions than those established by current law, while at the same time making any union fees optional (i.e., similar to the American "right to work" laws).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sephyr posted:

Just the general mood and the quality of the debate. People I thought were smart and moderate openly calling for mass arrests and executions of undesirables. Types who were rabidly anti-corruption affecting a jaw-unhinging yawn at the nakedly, bizarrely dysfunctional government they helped put in place. Former friends descending to grade-school level 'trolling' of each other.

I've never met a smart right wing brazilian. They only come in Libertarian and straight up fascist stances.

I may not agree with ring wing people but I do socialize and discuss poo poo with them since they have a general set of ideas that can be discussed. With Brazillians pending to the right the conversation starts and ends with me being che guevara's son who supports FARC and the Cuban doctors who spread cultural marxism in the favelas.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
New labor law being proposed in Brazil so rural worker can be paid with lodging and meals instead of actual wages.

At this point I think even the princes in Saudi Arabia are looking at us and shaking their heads. "These guys are way too backwards..."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's not just that:

http://www.valor.com.br/politica/4953786/leis-do-trabalho-rural-devem-mudar

They will also be able to "sell" their vacations back to their bosses, work up to 12 hours a day "if necessary," and work 18 days straight without a break.

But the real evil part of the proposal is this:

It will now be up only to the ministry of agriculture to regulate how pesticides are handled, and the ministry of health and the ministry of labor are excluded from the process, and eliminates the requirement to decontaminate security related equipment after use.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Hey Antonio, I'm buying your vacations for 40 bucks. I need you cutting sugar cane next week."

"But I am traveling to see my family! It's been 2 years!"

"Actually it's just 30 bucks now. Or you're just fired and then you can spend lots of time with them, I guess."

Negotiating with the boss is such a boon.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Except instead of using money they can use lodging plus food:

"I will need you to work next week, so you won't be able to go home to see your family. I'll pay you an extra 40 bucks for it. Now, since you will need to be here next week and will be eating my food, I will be paying those 40 bucks in the lodging and food you will be taking up"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So a "job" for lodging and food is just serfdom, right?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Badger of Basra posted:

So a "job" for lodging and food is just serfdom, right?

Indentured service. Kudos for doing away with the pretense that wageslavery was anything but, I guess.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I know all Latin American leftists are invested in proving that their own country has the worst fachos, but I gotta hand it to the Brazilian right wing, I can't think of any other gang that straight-up literally sought to reinstate serfdom. They're the worst, competition over.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, if anything it is a rather terrifying for people outside of Latin America as well. It seems that the Brazilian government really has geared up for an economic war against the population itself.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
When I said I missed the 90s this isn't what I meant.

E: this is actually worse than the 90s

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Brazillian political class has realized they can get away with anything given general apathy and media control/support, and anything is exactly what they are going to do.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are they gonna call the lodging the senzala or would that be too on the nose?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ZearothK posted:

The Brazillian political class has realized they can get away with anything given general apathy and media control/support, and anything is exactly what they are going to do.

Yeah, valor economico itself describes the law as a necessary step so as not to treat rural workers as "coitadinhos" ("poor little things").

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Brazil is reinstating feudalism? Did I read that right?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
You mean boldly modernizing labor relations away from a paternalistic culture of victimization in order to save us from the bolsheviks.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

When I said I missed the 90s this isn't what I meant.

E: this is actually worse than the 90s

This is worse than the 1930s

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
How hosed up that all of this is being rammed through during, technically, Dilma's term.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I missed this thread. And thank you for providing the translations so this filthy gringo can educate himself on LatAm politics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, that's definitely how people remember the first year of a president with 10% approval rating.

Ethics and respect for public funds, my rear end.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-39892553

quote:

A Mexican businesswoman who headed a group of 600 families searching for their disappeared relatives has been killed. Miriam Rodríguez Martínez was shot in her home in the town of San Fernando in Tamaulipas state. She was known for successfully investigating the kidnap and murder of her daughter by a local drug cartel, the Zetas.

The administration of former President Felipe Calderón (2006-2012) militarised the Mexican security forces to fight the drug cartels. In 10 years, the so-called war on drugs he launched left tens of thousands of murder victims with numbers varying widely between civic institutions and government figures. The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) issued its annual survey of armed conflict on Tuesday, saying that 23,000 people had died in Mexico in armed conflict in 2016. The Mexican government has questioned these figures.

The thing that worries me is that you tend to see these kinds articles shortly before societies begin to undergo collapse of one degree or another.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lollontee posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-39892553

The thing that worries me is that you tend to see these kinds articles shortly before societies begin to undergo collapse of one degree or another.

Hasn't this kind of news been coming out from Mexico for the better part of this decade?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

joepinetree posted:

It's not just that:

http://www.valor.com.br/politica/4953786/leis-do-trabalho-rural-devem-mudar

They will also be able to "sell" their vacations back to their bosses, work up to 12 hours a day "if necessary," and work 18 days straight without a break.

But the real evil part of the proposal is this:

It will now be up only to the ministry of agriculture to regulate how pesticides are handled, and the ministry of health and the ministry of labor are excluded from the process, and eliminates the requirement to decontaminate security related equipment after use.

But see if it wans't for Temer you'd be ~~~~~~~Venezuela~~~~~~~ by now!!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

Hasn't this kind of news been coming out from Mexico for the better part of this decade?

Brazen assassination of civil society leaders represents a bit of an escalation of the trend I think, but sure. You can't ever predict when a revolution ignites, but they do tend to happen after one too many vegetable sellers self-immolate after their stall is broken.

Personally I'm a bit astonished there hasn't been any major violent retaliation by the people against drug gang members. Or maybe there has been and I'm just ignorant? Anyway, this sort of poo poo just seems to me to be the kind of crap that makes for mob violence and lynchings and all that good stuff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A revolution against whom? The cartels? The currenct cycle of insane ultraviolence started because the state finally made a few token efforts to crack down on them.

Look up narcocorridos. Mexico is hosed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
People are afraid. They're not gonna make a concerted effort to attack drug cartels and risk their lives — plus, drug lords quite often more supportive of their community than the government itself. There's a reason why Pablo Escobar became a folk hero, you know.

It's not like there isn't popular backlash against criminals, but it's the random pickpocket dude getting lynched, or support for insane people that believe all we need to solve the issue is even more violence.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoops, forgot to adress that part. But yeah, I guess it's a bit hard to revolt against someone who doesn't have a flag. But if I've understood the situation, zetas et al don't really care much about hiding their identities inside communities, since they know they've got nothing to fear from anyone. Why not throw a firebomb or two into a ganghouse or something?

As for why the violence has exploded, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. A combination of diminishing smuggling routes due to increased American border surveillance combined with the collapse of old gangs and resulting power struggles and so on.

I guess I just don't get what life in a cartel society means in practice. Note that I'm not advocating for more violence or anything like that, I just can't wrap my head around why these attacks seem to go on without... Well, retaliations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Successful organized crime groups 1. destabilize government services, then 2. supplant them to gain community support, then 3. goto 10. This is basically the pattern the world over, it's just that the Mexican cartels have been incredibly successful at it, in no small part because they have a ton of money to work with and an insatiable demand for drugs.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lollontee posted:

Whoops, forgot to adress that part. But yeah, I guess it's a bit hard to revolt against someone who doesn't have a flag. But if I've understood the situation, zetas et al don't really care much about hiding their identities inside communities, since they know they've got nothing to fear from anyone. Why not throw a firebomb or two into a ganghouse or something?

As for why the violence has exploded, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. A combination of diminishing smuggling routes due to increased American border surveillance combined with the collapse of old gangs and resulting power struggles and so on.

I guess I just don't get what life in a cartel society means in practice. Note that I'm not advocating for more violence or anything like that, I just can't wrap my head around why these attacks seem to go on without... Well, retaliations.

Because they would straight up murder you with even less hesitation than the state?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Because they would straight up murder you with even less hesitation than the state?

In a very brutal manner, and very likely your entire family as well so no one has ideas. Except for the young women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ZearothK posted:

In a very brutal manner, and very likely your entire family as well so no one has ideas. Except for the young women.

I think they would murder the young women too. Eventually.