Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Finally got off my rear end and posted about damage tables in the facebook group. Come argue with me for sensible mechanics if you're on there :v: https://www.facebook.com/groups/604774826202800/permalink/2142502845763316/

In addition to that i also got off my rear end and finished up my Shaltari Tutorial, i'm on a roll here.

crossquoting from the painting thread:

Bistromatic posted:

Who's ready to finally learn about Alien Sparkleships?

Algonquin Tribe Shaltari

Took me a while but i finally managed to sit down and hammer out a decent draft for another tutorial. Shaltari are quite a different beast from my main UCM fleet, they’re absolutely loaded with tiny details and they have very strange technology so none of the little bits are readily identifiable as anything familiar. For this scheme i went with comparatively simpler techniques and relied more of the amount of details than fancy execution to get the overall effect. Judging by the reactions they get it works out.

Hull:
Do Test pieces! The sprues have plenty of extra parts and if you put on too much violet or purple you can’t really lighten it up.

First, prime your models black. Metallics usually work best on a black undercoat. It doesn’t really matter if it’s a small rivet or something but if you’re doing a whole mini in metallics there should definitely be black underneath. If you want to go the extra mile you could look into gloss black primer for an even better effect. If you do be sure to send me pictures! Since wasn’t going for maximum shiny i just went with the Vallejo airbrush primer i normally use.

Next i sprayed a basic gradient of Gunmetal, Chainmail and Silver, going lighter toward the front.

After that i hit the front with some violet. A light coat will look almost pink, a heavier one will bring out the colour you see below. Definitely do experiment, even the light coat with look great after it gets a little bit of violet.

The final touch on the hulls is the violet. I sprayed it all over but went lighter on the front and heavier on the back. You can reach a very dark colour with two or three coats, use this to build a nice gradient over the whole of the ship. Below you can the comparison before and after the violet, so don’t worry if your ships don’t look great after just the purple.

Overall i went a bit darker than i had originally planned. This helps all the glowy bits stand out more though so all is well.

Set your ships aside for a while and let them dry thoroughly, i recommend at least 24 hours.

The Golden paints will have a pretty glossy finish so hit your fleet with some satin varnish. This will help you make out details and also protect the purple in case you need to make corrections I also found that the glossiness plays a pretty big role in how the metallic purple comes out. I went with Citadel Munitorum Varnish as that has just the right amount of shine for my taste.

You also can’t really do touch-ups on the metallic purple but since the varnish will protect the paint underneath you can clean up small mistakes with a bit of thinner. You can do this before the cores and hit your models with a second coat afterwards or if you’re confident in your cleanliness you can wait until after the cores are done. In any case, once you get to the dots you /will/ appreciate it.

Cores:

Varnish or no, next up are the cores. Start out with Meridius Blue and try to get a nice even coverage with two or three thin coats. In general you want to avoid too many coats on these parts, even if they are thin ones. Otherwise the paint will build up about the dots on the cores and make them harder to paint neatly afterwards.

After you got the basecoat down shade with Coal Black

Highlight by mixing in white and go all the way to pure white. Be sure to let the paint dry thoroughly then give it a thin and even glaze with Turquoise Ink, this will give a nice depth and richness to the colour.

Sadly the picture for this step didn’t come out too well but i think you can still tell the difference.

Details:
From here on you can do things in any order, i decided to proceed with the dots.

I used Schmicke Primacryl Titanium White, it has great coverage and a nice consistency. Thin it down only a little and add some drying retardant. Then take a small brush with a relatively heavy load and carefully dab a bit of white on each dot. You’ll get a feel for the right brush load and thinning pretty quickly and the retardant will help to keep the pain wet on the brush.

Don’t worry if you mess up, as long as the paint is relatively fresh you can easily do cleanup with a stiff brush and some Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. As i mentioned before, a coat of varnish really helps to protect the underlying paint. Without it you have to be extremely careful not damage the layers beneath.

After the white the dots get a wash of P3 Turquoise Ink, this both gives them a bit of colour and acts as a pin-wash. You can be relatively generous, i think it actually is a nice effect if the turquoise extends outward a bit and adds a little bit of variety to the purple.
The picture below shows the difference.

Apart from a million dots a Shaltari ship has a whole bunch of other details. I decided to do these in a gold tone. Nothing fancy here, just a basic gradient of Deathless metal -> Bronze -> Gold at the very tips. Larger parts get a 50/50 mix in between the steps.

The weapons got the same treatment as the cores but i skipped the Coal Black as i wanted them to glow more brightly and they didn’t need the “depth” of the cores.

And that’s it, all done! In my opinion Shaltari don’t require super fancy techniques but they strongly reward patience and diligence.

Paint List:
VGA = Vallejo Game Air
VMA = Vallejo Model Air

Hull:
Prime Black
VGA Gunmetal
VGA Chainmail
VMA Silver
Golden Permanent Violet Dark
Golden Transparent Dioxazine Purple

Cores:
P3 Coal Black
P3 Meridius Blue
P3 Arcane Blue
White
P3 Turquoise Ink

Gold:
P3 Deathless Metal
Golden Iridescent Bronze
Golden Iridescent Gold

Dots:
White
P3 Turquoise Ink

Citadel Munitorum Varnish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

Finally got off my rear end and posted about damage tables in the facebook group. Come argue with me for sensible mechanics if you're on there :v: https://www.facebook.com/groups/604774826202800/permalink/2142502845763316/

A worthy fight!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So many people so resistant to change.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
"But there are bigger issues than this!" they cry without giving an example or explaining why a new edition can't address more than one point.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Also the people who don't comprehend that it's purely about more intuitive presentation instead of changing the odds.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Well if you will try to dumb the game down.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That'd be the group I left after their moderators repeatedly took no action against the guy posting Nazi-themed armies?

Just sayin', that might be influencing the quality of the debate.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That very same! I was out of it for a few years too but grudgingly joined again eventually due activity becoming increasingly centralised there. For what it's worth i haven't seen any nazi scum since i rejoined, just run of the mill grognards :v:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Feeling real salty right now.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"better things aren't possible" - a belief that can apply to all aspects of life no matter how trivial

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Hello fellow nerds I just bought into Dropfleet after watching some demos at Origins and I’m hoping you can give me some guidance as there don’t seem to be any central repositories of wisdom that I could find.

I picked up the rulebook, a UCM battle fleet box and a destroyer blister.

My main questions are:
1) what should I magnetize and what should I just glue? I’ve picked up that some ships (New Orleans, Seattle) are used pretty consistently but is it worth magnetizing everything else for maximum flexibility?

2) the book didn’t come with the token sheet - any good place to order 3rd party tokens?

3) what’s the gooncensus on the bases? The guy giving the demos was using beads and dice to mark damage and altitudes. Are the bases too fiddly?

4) any good sources for mats or satellite imagery posters?

5) what’s the go-to place for game info? Are the Hawk forums still used much?

Thanks!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

1) UCM cruisers are easy to magnetize. The only thing that I found was more hassle than it's worth is trying to get the heavy/regular tops switchable, so just make one or two of them heavy and the rest smooth top. The wing sections friction fit on and off so no need for magnets on them. For the frigates, the sides also friction fit, so you can make enough strike carriers and leave the rest to switch around. No idea about the destroyers though!

2) You can print out a token sheet from the TT combat site (https://ttcombat.com/pages/dropfleet-commander-downloads) if you're fine with paper ones.

3) I think they work fine for spikes/altitude but I use dice for damage.

4) Not sure on this, the guy I bought mine from stopped making them. I've seen some posts about people using these (https://matsbymars.com/collections/dropfleet-commander) but they seem pricey.

5) Unfortunately TTcombat are a bunch of lazy asses and can't be bothered to maintain the old Hawk forum and instead maintain a presence on the shitpile that is Facebook. There's a Dropfleet Community page you can request to join.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If you fancy it, TTCombat also do Dropfleet acrylic tokens for effects and sectors on their webstore for not that much. As do other companies, such is the way with gaming tokens.

I like the bases for spikes and altitude but the damage pegs get fiddly so I have started using small dice for damage as well. I still use the pegs though, I painted a bunch of them different colours and use them to mark my battle groups.

Deepcut studios also make some nice dropzone maps. They do them in PVC, cloth or mousepad depending on how much you want to splash out. The possibly cheaper alternative is to download the maps on the TTCombat site and go to a printers. The history of these is that Hawk offered map packs for the kickstarter but the printers who quoted for them jacked up the price making them unviable - so the images were released for free and the backers are getting store credit (eventually).

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 21, 2018

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Okay, I’m deep into magnetizing my UCM cruisers and am planning to play baby’s first game this weekend but...what’s the philosophy behind building battlegroups? I get the mechanical pieces -the min/max number of each weight class in the types of battlegroups (and I have dflist) - but what’s the thinking behind what ships go together in a battlegroups, and whether that should be a Pathfinder or a Line bg for example (like if I have 2 frigates and a cruiser, it could be either one)? Or am I overthinking this?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
For me the two biggest considerations are usually:

Special Orders: Put ships that like the same orders in the same BG. For example a Moscow really wants to go Weapons Free while a New Cairo doesn't benefit at all from Weapons Free.

Strategy Rating: Glass cannons and especially Strike Carriers really want to activate before any substantial enemies so they prefer small BGs.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I try to have a couple of very low rating groups to snipe activation advantage.

Otherwise I'm looking at what will be positioned close to each other and if anything can freely operate away from the rest of the battlegroup for card playing flexibility.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
3D debris markers! Made from sprues and leftover bits!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

finally had some time to bang these out in an evening, fully magnetized

wasn't the biggest fan of the models at first but they've grown on me

^ i like the actively exploding one, gotta house rule it to destroy poo poo that passes through the field that much better

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 4, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Brief update from Dave showing off the UCM Dreadnought render.

Comes in two flavours, 40 dice of railguns or launch 15 death swarm!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was worried about the UCM dreadnought but it looks pretty decent. Obviously mass turret overload but what were you expecting? Leeetle disappointed in the recycling of the Remnant cruiser gun turrets; you'd think the UCM would have a different turret design after 160 years.

Kinda reminds me of the Comet Empire missile cruiser.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, I'm not real hot on the design myself. Just kind of looks like two Atlantis siamesed together with turrets on every surface. Something more along a beefed up New York with the turrets sporting 3 or 4 barrels would probably have looked less like a design overload.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I am wondering if the PHR version will be two leonidas welded together with 4 gun decks. Hopefully it will be more subtle.

I do still like the idea of one ship throwing out an entire fleets worth of launch assets. But then these things are probably going to cost half your fleet so I guess that balances out.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

But with guns down the entire sides.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I’m kind of disappointed by the UCM super ship too :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

Want Homeworld

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Friend and I played our first game yesterday, my UCM vs his PHR. Lots of fun and I don’t know that we got anything horribly wrong. I definitely learned a lesson about not bunching up my ships though - holy cow is the catastrophic table rough. I think I blew up more of my own ships than my opponent did.

We only played 999 points to get our heads around the game. I know now I need more drop. I was only able to commit to 2 of the 3 clusters we had on the board, and one of them I didn’t get anybody on the ground before my strike carriers got vaporized. Also I need more protection with my drop groups to keep them from just getting chewed up. Also, UCM destroyers are love.

This was my list, I’d appreciate any feedback on it.
--------------------------------------
Speartip - 995pts
UCM - 3 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (200pts)
1 x Moscow - 163pts - H
   + UCM Commodore (20pts, 3AV)
1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (262pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
3 x Santiago - 66pts - L

SR9 Line battlegroup (240pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
1 x Kiev (exp.) - 65pts - L2

SR13 Pathfinder battlegroup (273pts)
2 x New Cairo - 176pts - M
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L
1 x Kiev (exp.) - 65pts - L2

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bistromatic posted:

*starts playing Agnus Dei*

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man, I'm really torn on those Dreadnought sculpts, especially the UCM one! But they are cool...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I think the UCM one will look a lot better sans those irritating turrets. Stick some WW2-style triple or quad guns on there and it'll look a lot better.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm happy enough with the Scourge and Shaltari offerings. The Scourge dreadnought was always going to be some massive squid beast and I'm OK with that. The Shaltari get a new silhouette with recognisable features so that's fine.

I'm less sure about the PHR and UCM. I feel like Dave has just scaled up the Perth and Hector here and I was hoping for new shapes. I don't hate them, but they don't feel all that original. Too safe I guess?

The chunky look of the PHR dread is growing on me a bit. Apparently the one at Gencon is actually sporting a broadside armament of some kind and those aren't launch bays. So it's very typical of the PHR line ships, just even more so. The prow BTL can roll into double digits apparently, so that is probably crippling if not out right murdering a cruiser in one shot.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

The Scourge dreadnought was always going to be some massive squid beast and I'm OK with that.

I feel it's the wrong way round, probably out of a desire to recycle the Akuma nose. If it were tentacles-first, like the Aquan dreadnought from Firestorm Armada, I'd be all for it.

I'm perfectly fine with the PHR death-whale, it knows what it is and makes it work with a modicum of style. And the UCM one will be fine as soon as I reshuffle the turrets.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

the PHR one is just a big ship of the line in spaaaace, I kinda like it for that alone. The UCM one has that same look as the Battlecruisers, it should have just been a scaled up Battleship, not that crappy tongs design.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I posted the Pride of Hiigara before but yeah i'd really have like to see new shapes and vertical ones at that. Both because they're interesting to me personally and to minimise the amount of footprint and overhang of these fuckoff huge ships. Practical placement concerns are actually one of my bigger beefs with the game at the moment. They really should either provide incentives for ships to stay away from each other or just remove the option of stacking ships.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Vertical large resin ships would topple over like crazy unless you used iron bases.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Vertical large resin ships would topple over like crazy unless you used iron bases.

I feel that there is a middle ground. I was hoping for a bit more verticality out of them as well. For scourge I was thinking something like a Reaper in Mass effect, tentacles sure, but tapering upwards with the body. I can see how tentacles at the front could have been cool, but it would probably irk some people that it isn't fluff consistent design thingy.

If there is a big stability concern though, couldn't they just come up with a larger base? If it meant shorter models you would probably still come out ahead on footprint.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm really not feeling the UMC one at all. I wanted the super carrier to have more of an aircraft carrier/battlestar galactica feel to it. :(

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Anyone seen any indication from TTCombat about when/if they expect to be able to restock retailers?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm still wondering when I'm going to get my store credit for the maps that were never made...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pash posted:

I'm still wondering when I'm going to get my store credit for the maps that were never made...

Last update was 'August, released in waves', so soon hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

Anyone seen any indication from TTCombat about when/if they expect to be able to restock retailers?

Judging by what I've been able to find on the facebook groups it looks like the answer is no, for the US at least. Which is really weird that no one's pressed them on that?

Warstore and MM have limited stock and are starting to show stuff as straight discontinued, which is probably not the case and more of a reflection of their inability to restock.