Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

NikkolasKing posted:

Zorn and Thorn showing up to try and join Garnet makes no sense and really bugs me. I have beaten this game several times and it just doesn't work any way you try to explain it.

Their boss just died and they have no idea where their next meal will come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ZiegeDame posted:

Their boss just died and they have no idea where their next meal will come from.

Isn't it later revealed that the twins were Kuja's agents all along?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

morallyobjected posted:

Zorn and Thorn want to be serving anyone with power, and Garnet has the power that Brahne used to have. they aren't big on morals, so it's not really surprising they'd try to come back. the worst that's going to happen is that they get turned away, since they know the "heroes" aren't going to kill them on sight.

Well, Garnet COULD order them executed for aiding in Brahne's war crimes against Burmecia, Cleyra, and Lindblum. Probably not likely though since, as you mentioned, heroes. Though the -orn duo are cowards, so they're not going to take chances.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

This might have been brought up already, (who reads threads?????) but I just had a thought. "Fossil Roo", do you suppose it was intended to be Fossil Route but with a french pronunciation?

In French you still pronounce the T.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Isn't it later revealed that the twins were Kuja's agents all along?

(Disc 3 spoilers): no, they join Kuja later; they haven't been working for him all along.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

GunnerJ posted:

Why are Blank and Marcus suddenly night watchmen on Zidane's behalf...?

Haven't you ever read Discworld?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

George posted:

Well yes, but it's more subtle. Would french transliterated to japanese still have it?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

(Disc 3 spoilers): no, they join Kuja later; they haven't been working for him all along.

They are literally just some monster Kuja split into two humans for.._some reason.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

George posted:

Unless it was intended to be "Fossil Rue"

NikkolasKing posted:

They are literally just some monster Kuja split into two humans for.._some reason.

Yeah this is what I remember

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

This might have been brought up already, (who reads threads?????) but I just had a thought. "Fossil Roo", do you suppose it was intended to be Fossil Route but with a french pronunciation?

Yeah, the French word for road is rue, and is in fact pronounced like roo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

Zorn and Thorn showing up to try and join Garnet makes no sense and really bugs me. I have beaten this game several times and it just doesn't work any way you try to explain it.

I'm sure she has no hard feelings about that whole 'trying to kill her and using her extracted Eidolons for the genocide of every other major nation in the world' thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

To add onto this, it's meant to parallel the 'Gargan Roo' area name as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dissipating Sorrow/Passing Sorrow is a very nice theme. In fact this game has a bunch of really good themes that only play like in one or two scenes in the entire game, one of them might be my favorite track in the series even.

Having gone to see a live symphonic orchestra play FF music a couple of times now, the FFIX portion was definitely one of the highlights. It's a pretty great experience that nobody should pass up if they've grown up with these games and their music.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No matter what, in French no place name would end in "rue", it would be like "rue Fossil" or "rue du fossile"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

This is simultaneously Shakespeare and anime as gently caress.

New thread title this should have been the thread title all along.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sure she has no hard feelings about that whole 'trying to kill her and using her extracted Eidolons for the genocide of every other major nation in the world' thing.

Eh, they could have gone with 'we were just following the queen's orders, and just like Beatrix, we decided to have a change of heart!'.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fister Roboto posted:

No, that's the french word for street. The french word for road is 'route'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

This is simultaneously Shakespeare and anime as gently caress.

Yup, that sounds like FF9 all right.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This part of the game is where I stopped being kind of irrationally in hate with Eiko and started to appreciate her character more. I was barely fifteen the first time I played (INTERESTING SIDENOTE: I somehow was more dumb that is humanly possible during my first playthrough and either missed or ignored a bunch of the synth options, and was running Exploda on Zidane from the moment you find/make it until I got the Orichalchum Dirk (I think?) from muuuuch later on Disk 3 (like, superspoilerterritory far in disk 3)), and Eiko just hit all of my Dumb Teenager Hate Points By Being A Child. I honestly clung to that far longer than was necessary, because Eiko never actually is the annoying child character trope I pegged her as on first meeting, but this entire letter sequence softened it all up and made her into a proper member of the cast for me. Which is for the best, because there are quite a few moments upcoming where Eiko shines.

The whole start of Disk 3 is fantastic. It gives everyone a nice breather right after one hell of a disk (and act) climax, and it starts setting up the pieces for the next major events. The best part is that this is a natural feeling pause within the story, and everyone is doing as... Well, they would! Reassess where they stand, plan for the sudden changes that happened, try to merge back into a sense of normalcy. The queen is dead, all the major powers have been crippled in some way except for Alexandia, and that kingdom is drawin in on itself to protect what it has left, since the people in charge also know that there is a bigger threat on the horizon, or at least that the existing threat hasn't actually be dealt with. It also gives a good excuse to let the player experience a bit of freedom after being on plot rails for half a disk. (not immediately but it's coming (should I spoiler this oh god no now we know there's going to be faffing about for a bit D:)). It's a wonderful merging of gameplay and story that this game excels at sooo drat much.

Everything about the letter is perfect and could only exist in this game :3:

As an aside;

I've been toying with the concept of cutting the game up into discrete acts, to see how it works out as an Elizabethan play, or even novel, and I keep ending up with FAR TOO MANY PARTS OH GOD WHY.
To date, I've seperated them out;

POLOGUE: From into to crashing the prima vista
I: Evil Forest to Lindblum
II: Lindblum to end of Disk 1
III: Burmecia to Atomos eating Lindblum
IV: Lindblum to the battle outside of the Iifa tree
V: Beginning of disk 3 to spoiler like crazy but even I'm not sure in hindsight which part would be the end of act V and beginning of VI it's beel a while since I played this game?

And, IIRC, there's enough story to have at least two more acts after V. Depending if you consider the end of a disk to automatically mean a new act or not, which I don't this is exactly true but it's a good rule of thumb. I've tried to condense a few, but it felt like I was mixing up too many threads into a ball, instead of letting the natural breaks in the plot give me the act breaks.
Maybe I'm just trying too hard but damnit it should work >(

Also also;
I got the game on steam and started replaying and I got to Lindblum and THE loving SAGITARIUS IS NOT THERE I NEED MY STELLAZIO WHAT THE HELL I'll check again after the festival of the hunt, but it should be there the moment you're able to explore freely as Zidane, no?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Honestly, the kingdom of Alexandria is indebted to Zidane (and the rest.) His contribution to the safety of Garnet should merit some nobility title, or at least knighthood. Maybe I don't know anything about fantasy medieval politics, but his social standing should be higher than what we see right now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Earnestly posted:

Honestly, the kingdom of Alexandria is indebted to Zidane (and the rest.) His contribution to the safety of Garnet should merit some nobility title, or at least knighthood. Maybe I don't know anything about fantasy medieval politics, but his social standing should be higher than what we see right now.

Game seems like it really wants to re-establish the status quo and feeling of normalcy. That includes Zidane being a nobody.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Game seems like it really wants to re-establish the status quo and feeling of normalcy. That includes Zidane being a nobody.

I always figured it was also because Zidane never tried. He just... Kind of moped and whines about Garnet. I never really doubted that there would be some kind of official recognition for Zidane and the others that helped during the first couple of disks, just... Y'know, a bit after the interregnum ended.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

Also also;
I got the game on steam and started replaying and I got to Lindblum and THE loving SAGITARIUS IS NOT THERE I NEED MY STELLAZIO WHAT THE HELL I'll check again after the festival of the hunt, but it should be there the moment you're able to explore freely as Zidane, no?

if you're talking about the one I think you're talking about, it doesn't show up until after Brahne goes all Atomos on the city, as far as I know.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 29, 2016

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

morallyobjected posted:

if you're talking about the one I think you're talking about, it doesn't show up until after Brahne goes all Atomos on the city, as far as i know.

The one next to the pickle cart?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

The one next to the pickle cart?

Yeah, that one. It shows up during the reconstruction.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well thank god for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Well, Garnet COULD order them executed for aiding in Brahne's war crimes against Burmecia, Cleyra, and Lindblum. Probably not likely though since, as you mentioned, heroes. Though the -orn duo are cowards, so they're not going to take chances.
Yeah, Garnet probably wouldn't execute them. The worst she'd do is exile them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Garnet probably wouldn't execute them. The worst she'd do is exile them.

Queen Garnet is going soft on crime. I know I won't be voting for her this election.

p.s. WHERE'S THE BIrtH CErTiFICATE

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

Queen Garnet is going soft on crime. I know I won't be voting for her this election.

p.s. WHERE'S THE BIrtH CErTiFICATE

She's a crypto pagan who worships strange gods who thirst for blood in battle
Garnet blew up Cleyra, where was she when it happened? She claims that she was capture, but why is there a purged email server?!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

....well...we did just learn Garnet actually is from Kenya/Madain Sari....So "where is the birth certificate" works here.

Who knows what kind of monarchy Alexandria has, anyway. I doubt the writers put much thought into it but monarchies are complicated. It isn't always just "there's a person with a crown at the top who directs everyone around." Is this some sort of absolute monarchy? There does not seem to be any sort of assembly or council. How long has the bloodline reigned and indeed how much authority is invested in that bloodline because Garnet has not a trace of it?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

....well...we did just learn Garnet actually is from Kenya/Madain Sari....So "where is the birth certificate" works here.

Who knows what kind of monarchy Alexandria has, anyway. I doubt the writers put much thought into it but monarchies are complicated. It isn't always just "there's a person with a crown at the top who directs everyone around." Is this some sort of absolute monarchy? There does not seem to be any sort of assembly or council. How long has the bloodline reigned and indeed how much authority is invested in that bloodline because Garnet has not a trace of it?

Well, the only people who know for sure that Garnet is not of royal blood are those who can be considered part of the council. Tot, Beatrix, Steiner. They, with Garnet, are now the higher-echelons of Alexandrian politics.
And I doubt any of them will want or need this to get out. Beatrix outright said "I don't care if your blood isn't royal, you were raised as one and you are one."

And, honestly, if word got out to the citizens, I don't think they'd care much. Heck, just a simple "I think having someone not related to Brahne in charge is a good thing" would work considering the past couple of... Months? Weeks? Whatever timescale FFIX works under.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The bloodline being the most important thing only matters to societies where the monarch tries to palm the right to rule via descent from deities, typically. There's no shortage of societies where people are adopted, even as adults with living parents, specifically to be part of the line of inheritance. Garnet being adopted as a six year old to replace a dead Garnet is completely reasonable as the next heir in a semi-European feudal society, especially since we aren't given any indications of cousins.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bufuman posted:

Garnet is a protagonist in a FF game. I think there has never been a FF protagonist that at one point or other hasn't felt sorry for the villain, even if he burned a village of children or murdered your girlfriend right in front of you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

lezard_valeth posted:

Garnet is a protagonist in a FF game. I think there has never been a FF protagonist that at one point or other hasn't felt sorry for the villain, even if he burned a village of children or murdered your girlfriend right in front of you.

FF V. Pretty sure none of the Light Warriors or the Dawn Warriors felt sorry for Exdeath at any point.

Not that Exdeath would've given a gently caress. Dude loved being the hammiest goddamn Saturday morning cartoon villain ever.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I doubt anyone felt sorry for Kefka, either. Or Sephiroth/Jenova. Ultimecia. Seymour. The Emperor.

We need more villains like Exdeath. He's not crazy like Kefka and he had so much fun being an rear end in a top hat. Like if Donald Trump were a tree.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Terra felt sorry for Kefka in Dissidia.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think it is every stated openly, but for Sephiroth I am certain cloud had a certain empathy for the guy. They were both products of genetic engineering with a Lovecraft, they were both lied to (well Cloud mostly lie to himself BUT STILL), and both were driven into depths of insanity by the revelations.

While Cloud did hella murder sephisama, it alway felt like more of "This is something I need to do for the good of everyone", and not a personal vengeance vendetta of hatred.

The VII parties feelings towards Jenova was pretty much "Burn it down and piss on the ashes" though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That could be because Terra is unable to feel positive emotions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Cloud pretty decisively hates Sephiroth and never shows any real empathy for what drove Seph crazy. All that matters is that Sephiroth did murder that village of children and killed his (sort of) girlfriend and so Cloud never forgave him for it.

The FFX party's feelings on Seymour are...well, they might have felt sorry for Lil' Seymour. They never discuss it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Cloud pretty decisively hates Sephiroth and never shows any real empathy for what drove Seph crazy. All that matters is that Sephiroth did murder that village of children and killed his (sort of) girlfriend and so Cloud never forgave him for it.

That's where it started, I never got the "raging hatred" by the end of it. Maybe I'm just reading too much of my own subtext into it, but once the revelation was in that Jenova was the one driving much of the plot up partway through Disk 2, Sephiroth became... Less of a thing.

• Locked thread