Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Am I to gather that Israel is secretly bombing targets in Syria all the time? The only reason we appear to know about this one is apparently because the Syrians shot a missile back at the planes and set of ye olde rocket alarm back in Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dont even fink about it posted:

Am I to gather that Israel is secretly bombing targets in Syria all the time? The only reason we appear to know about this one is apparently because the Syrians shot a missile back at the planes and set of ye olde rocket alarm back in Israel.

It's not really a secret. This happens about once a month. Israel rarely admits when they do this, but sometimes they do, and the reasoning is always the same: they're bombing supplies directed towards Hezbollah/Hamas/etc. Israel has bombed in Sudan several times for similar reasons. This is what overwhelming air superiority looks like.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double posting for interesting news: Turns out most bomb threats against Jewish centers in the US, and several other countries, were literally a false flag - except perpetrated not by liberals trying to make Trump look bad, but by a disgruntled American-Israeli hacker!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/former-israeli-security-chiefs-warn-of-tyranny

A good read. Half a century is not an occupation, it is something entirely else.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it was you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

פסח כשר ושמח!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Doubleposting for important hair update:

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/853521271623233537

For those of you not fluent in Hebrew, towards the end he makes fun of his dye job and says the grey will be coming back soon.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doubleposting for important hair update:

https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/853521271623233537

For those of you not fluent in Hebrew, towards the end he makes fun of his dye job and says the grey will be coming back soon.

Whoever came up with that ad was definitely into some green and brown.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

For the record, I hate that this is getting focus. Sure, he's an idiot, but he's also slowly destroying the country and killing/torturing millions. One of those is more important than the other.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013
I thought Purim was over already?

Anyway, have there been any interesting revelations in the corruption case already?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah let's talk about dumbfuck's hair and not the 1,100 palestinian detainees currently hunger striking in israeli prisons.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Ultramega posted:

Yeah let's talk about dumbfuck's hair and not the 1,100 palestinian detainees currently hunger striking in israeli prisons.

Speaking of:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A big whiny baby and a shameless populist who goes by an infantile nickname has caused a diplomatic incident with Germany because the German Foreign Minister scheduled meetings with B'Tselem and Breaking the Silence - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/netanyahu-snubs-german-foreign-minister-meetings-left-wing-israeli/

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The best part is every journalist digging up every time he met with someone who hated their current administration (some priest in the states during Clinton's years for example) and assholes in general like the current president of South Sudan.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How do you do something like that and not think, maybe, you're the baddies?

I mean, unless they're well at peace with being evil as gently caress.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Lobe posted:

I mean, unless they're well at peace with being evil as gently caress.

That's a requirement to being a colonialist, racial supremacist power. The only way you can go on with being an Israeli is if you fill your heart with an all-consuming hatred towards your victims.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

That's a requirement to being a colonialist, racial supremacist power. The only way you can go on with being an Israeli is if you fill your heart with an all-consuming hatred towards your victims.

I though thats Republicans.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lady Morgaga posted:

I though thats Republicans.

It's a common factor to right-wing nationalists all over the world. They believe that they are in the right, and that anyone who opposed them is a genocidal villain.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a common factor to right-wing nationalists all over the world. They believe that they are in the right, and that anyone who opposed them is a genocidal villain.

I see.

Say do you think that

Cat Mattress posted:

The only way you can go on with being an Israeli is if you fill your heart with an all-consuming hatred towards your victims.

this person believes himself be in the right and Israelis being genocidal villains?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

There was an alternative remembrance day in tel aviv. It was for both Jews and Palestinians. Most of the Palestinians didn't get granted access, but the important thing is that a bunch of right wingers were outside cursing, wishing death and throwing crap at the people on the ceremony, who had bereaved families and soldiers among them. Naftali Bennett tweeted that if they celebrate the death of murderers (I assume because it was for Palestinians victims as well) then they shouldn't be bothered by some spitting, cursing and having stuff thrown at them. The tweet was then deleted and blamed on an intern. He has still not said anything about how it was a lovely thing to tweet, surprisingly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lady Morgaga posted:

I see.

Say do you think that

this person believes himself be in the right and Israelis being genocidal villains?

Oh yeah, absolutely. There are problematic people on both sides of the debate. But the real question isn't whether "Israelis" are genocidal villains, it's whether the Israeli government are genocidal villains. Every group has its shitheads, what matters is whether or not those shitheads are in power and whether or not the people in power are willing to restrain those shitheads.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Lady Morgaga posted:

I see.

Say do you think that

I think you're really trying to make a mountain out of an overly earnest post is what's going on here.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

quote:

The state-run Israel Broadcasting Authority was notified hours before Tuesday's broadcast that "Mabat LaHadashot" (A glance at the news), which has been on air for 49 years, was to be shut down.
Choking back tears, Channel 1 News anchor Geula Even announced on air that Mabat's broadcast would be its last. The program's staff turned out for a tearful send-off and sang the national anthem.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said the broadcaster's shutdown is part of reforms to create a new replacement organization. But staffers say Netanyahu was unhappy with what he considered critical coverage and is trying to control the media.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.788280

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

By all accounts, the truth really is in the middle here - the IBA was a ramshackle, horrendously mismanaged zombie organisation, and Netanyahu is taking advantage of that to increase Likud's control over the media now it's collapsed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Heartbreaking, honestly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Norway’s largest trade union federation endorses full boycott of Israel to advance Palestinian human rights

quote:

Today, the Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions (LO), representing close to one million workers, endorsed a full boycott of Israel to achieve Palestinian rights under international law. LO is the largest and most influential umbrella organization of labor unions in Norway.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've seen Israeli right-wingers screaming about Abbas 'supporting violence' by endorsing the ongoing hunger strikes. In what world is a hunger strike a call to violence??

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've seen Israeli right-wingers screaming about Abbas 'supporting violence' by endorsing the ongoing hunger strikes. In what world is a hunger strike a call to violence??

The argument is that the hunger-strikers, particularly the ringleader, Marwan Barghouti, were imprisoned for violent crimes, so any improvement of their situation is 'supporting violence'. So there's some logic to it, just not of a sort that has any compatibility with any concept of prisoners' rights.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
http://www.jta.org/2017/05/08/arts-entertainment/fidget-spinner-inventor-was-motivated-to-stop-palestinians-from-throwing-rocks-at-israelis

quote:

Do we have Palestinian rock throwers to thank for the fidget spinner?

The inventor of the ubiquitous stress-reducing toy says she came up with the idea during a trip to Israel in the 1980s, during the First Intifada, as a way to distract the “young boys throwing rocks at police officers.”

Catherine Hettinger told CNN Money last week that she first brainstormed the gadget while visiting her sister in the Jewish state and hearing about the clashes between Palestinian youth and Israeli security.

She first considered designing a “soft rock that kids could throw,” according to CNN Money.

“It started as a way of promoting peace,” Hettinger said.

The I/P conflict has given the world 'fidget spinners' apparently.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, no, not really.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've heard of the No-Spin Zone, but this is ridiculous...

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://mobile.twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/864179329231720450

This is just surreal. Is Trump senile? Or is Bibi loving with us?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Gobbeldygook posted:

I guess he's under considerable pressure from the right and probably assumes Trump isn't going to accomplish anything or will get impeached

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gobbeldygook posted:

Both.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

C'mon, standard thread etiquette is to post paywalled articles in full.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why do you think that? It's pretty clear what's going on. Trump promised on the campaign trail that he'd move the embassy, and the Israeli right generally assumed he'd change the course of US-Israel policy in a very pro-Israel direction. A few months into the Trump presidency, though, none of that's happened and there's no particular sign that any of it is going to happen, so the Israeli right is furious. Meanwhile, after spending the last eight years feuding with the Democrats, Netanyahu doesn't want to risk pissing off the Republicans too, so he's forced to play along with Trump's calls for restraint and push the Knesset and cabinet to hold back, which is really disappointing to right-wingers who thought they'd just be able to go hog wild once Trump was sworn in.

It seems like Bibi's rivals from the right are trying to harness that right-wing anger by claiming that Trump's failure to live up to the right's expectations is the fault of Netanyahu, who they claim is betraying the right by secretly telling Trump to keep the embassy where it is and so on. Doesn't sound very plausible to me, but I guess it's taking off anyway. Fox News picked it up and reported it, which prompted Netanyahu to release transcripts proving it false.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Why do you think that? It's pretty clear what's going on. Trump promised on the campaign trail that he'd move the embassy, and the Israeli right generally assumed he'd change the course of US-Israel policy in a very pro-Israel direction. A few months into the Trump presidency, though, none of that's happened and there's no particular sign that any of it is going to happen, so the Israeli right is furious. Meanwhile, after spending the last eight years feuding with the Democrats, Netanyahu doesn't want to risk pissing off the Republicans too, so he's forced to play along with Trump's calls for restraint and push the Knesset and cabinet to hold back, which is really disappointing to right-wingers who thought they'd just be able to go hog wild once Trump was sworn in.

It seems like Bibi's rivals from the right are trying to harness that right-wing anger by claiming that Trump's failure to live up to the right's expectations is the fault of Netanyahu, who they claim is betraying the right by secretly telling Trump to keep the embassy where it is and so on. Doesn't sound very plausible to me, but I guess it's taking off anyway. Fox News picked it up and reported it, which prompted Netanyahu to release transcripts proving it false.

That sounds about right.

Here's my prediction: the parties right of Likud (at least Jewish Home) leave the coalition, Bougie drags Zionist Camp in, unity government until Bibi finds a way to gently caress them over and call an election at an opportune time for him. ZC/Labour barely scratch the threshold next election.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Belay that: according to the NYT, Israel is the source of the information Trump leaked. This basically means that Netanyahu, who tied himself to good relations with Trump rewarding Israel, has lost both the right-wingers (because suddenly he's talking like any other President as far as the West Bank is concerned) and the security people. Yaa'on, Netanyahu's former defense minister and former IDF chief of staff is ready to talk about the submarine misdeeds if no charges are brought. It's all falling apart for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So what are the odds that this leads to the US just cutting ties with Israel and the rest of the ME flattening the nation, leading all the Nazis in other nations to feel fully safe that they won't be Mossaded if they try to do their Nazi thing? :tinfoil: