Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Can we all agree that Kelvin Benjamin should have been valued way higher in the drafts this year? He smashed all of the projections last night against one of the strongest secondaries in the league.

Just got finished bragging on him in my Goon League thread. I'm so glad football is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He also looked like one more hit to the back of the knee is all he can handle and it happened in the first game.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Michael Corleone posted:

He is considering un-retiring.

Florio is full of poo poo. Big surprise, I know.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I had a response to that but I lost it and dropped the ball.

Like Tevin Coleman does.

To literal footballs.

Like all the time.

Then it says a lot about Freeman that we are even having this discussion and that his coach talks about riding the hot hand at RB. Truth is, Freeman averaged something like 3 yards a carry the last 7 or so games year. And his big games earlier in the year? Came against some of the worst run defenses in the NFL. Even if you don't believe in Coleman, it's really, really hard to trust Freeman. If you think otherwise, you are free to draft him at this crazy ADP :)

timp posted:

Can we all agree that Kelvin Benjamin should have been valued way higher in the drafts this year? He smashed all of the projections last night against one of the strongest secondaries in the league.

Just got finished bragging on him in my Goon League thread. I'm so glad football is back.

I drafted him in my big money league, but I have to admit, I did not think he'd get so many looks in week 1 against the Broncos. Looking like a huge year is in store for him.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

kiimo posted:

He also looked like one more hit to the back of the knee is all he can handle and it happened in the first game.

Really? I saw that hit but wasn't that in the first half? He ended up playing 51/72 offensive snaps so I am not sure what you mean.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

timp posted:

I'm kinda mad I didn't grab him. He's running a variety of routes now and looks really good catching in traffic.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

timp posted:

No. It's week 1 and he largely disappeared in the 2nd half. He's going to be a td dependent player on a team with 3 legit red zone targets.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It was one game. Don't get too overhyped yet, he had some good games his rookie year too. Doesn't mean the volume will be there or that he's improved his efficiency.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

RVProfootballer posted:

It was one game. Don't get too overhyped yet, he had some good games his rookie year too. Doesn't mean the volume will be there or that he's improved his efficiency.

I'm not getting hyped but when everyone was saying he would be limited in snaps and it turns out he played 51, had the most targets of anyone on either teams, and produced a solid game against one of the best secondaries in the league, this is certainly a step in the right direction and makes me hopeful.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Papes posted:

No. It's week 1 and he largely disappeared in the 2nd half. He's going to be a td dependent player on a team with 3 legit red zone targets.

Who is the other red zone target besides KB and Olsen?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Cam* or JStew I'd imagine. (Funchess)

*He's going to throw it to himself for a TD one of these days.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

MrSargent posted:

Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart and Mike Tolbert. The Panthers play power football in the red zone and these guys are all used effectively.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
ajayi isn't even leaving south beach this weekend:eyepop:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/774340618315190272

Well, I think he's safe to drop in all leagues now.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/774340618315190272

Well, I think he's safe to drop in all leagues now.

Whos the next person behind him?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

OxySnake posted:

damien williams is the #2

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OxySnake posted:

Damian Williams and Isaiah Pead, which says way more about Ajayi than it does about Williams and Pead.

(He's inactive because he doesn't play special teams)

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
So this Spencer Ware situation is turning non ideal with coach talk. It's now making me considering someone else at RB2.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MrSargent posted:

6'5 240 Funchess

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Samu posted:

Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart and Mike Tolbert. The Panthers play power football in the red zone and these guys are all used effectively.

Oh, so not targets at all but runners. I think this is a bit overblown. Of course if they are <10 yards in, they are going to power run for the most part but as far as actual PASSING targets, KB is going to get a solid share of red zone targets due to his size. This is the same KB that had 9 touchdowns his rookie year, and while I can't go look through each one of them, I don't think its unreasonable to assume he will get the looks. The Panthers have a great all-around offense and will score a lot of points.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Papes posted:

6'5 240 Funchess

Funchess had 5 TD's last year with KB missing the whole season. It is clear that Cam heavily favors KB as he saw 3x as many targets as Funchess. Funchess may grab a TD here and there but I just don't see him being a consistent threat to KB's production.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Kelvin as my WR3 after Green and Keenan is pretty cool. Lockett as a WR4 is pretty cool too.

Younger Cam used to lock onto Steve Smith quite a bit.

I think Kelvins numbers will improve by a little from the rookie year maybe 80 catches for 1100 and 10 tds. I would love that.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 9, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I'm not getting hyped but when everyone was saying he would be limited in snaps and it turns out he played 51, had the most targets of anyone on either teams, and produced a solid game against one of the best secondaries in the league, this is certainly a step in the right direction and makes me hopeful.

Oh yeah, it's certainly a nice bit of evidence that Kelvin is going to be decent this year. But you're reading too much into one game when you say stuff like:

MrSargent posted:

Funchess had 5 TD's last year with KB missing the whole season. It is clear that Cam heavily favors KB as he saw 3x as many targets as Funchess. Funchess may grab a TD here and there but I just don't see him being a consistent threat to KB's production.

No, it isn't clear that Kelvin will be heavily favored and Funchess not a threat to his production. First, it's one game, against an outlier of a defense in terms of quality. Second, Funchess was still 3rd in targets for Carolina. Third, Kelvin only caught half his targets, so we still have plenty of reason to be a little nervous about his efficiency. I'm not even saying your conclusion is wrong, and if I had to bet, I'd definitely put money on Kelvin being the top dog. But you're emphasizing the results from one game way too much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren:

https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/774355443825029120

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

RVProfootballer posted:

I remember three years ago when Ray Rice has two TDs on opening night and I'm all jazzed about my discount RB1

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

No, it isn't clear that Kelvin will be heavily favored and Funchess not a threat to his production. First, it's one game, against an outlier of a defense in terms of quality. Second, Funchess was still 3rd in targets for Carolina. Third, Kelvin only caught half his targets, so we still have plenty of reason to be a little nervous about his efficiency. I'm not even saying your conclusion is wrong, and if I had to bet, I'd definitely put money on Kelvin being the top dog. But you're emphasizing the results from one game way too much.

That's fair that I am putting too much stock in one game. I was also considering Funchess's production last year vs. KB's production his rookie year for comparison because one of the things I noticed in 2014 was that Cam and KB seemed to quickly develop chemistry. Funchess didn't seem to develop as much with Cam and he was even behind Ted "lol" Ginn Jr. in terms of receptions, yards, and TD's last year.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Allright, well, looks like I'm starting Jesse James as my TE1 unless you guys think there's someone on the waiver wire worth picking up. (Jared Cook?)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Funchess was also a converted TE who was pretty well regarded as a project who could've stood to stay another year in college to polish (though he really didn't have much else to prove at that level) so it's not really fair to compare their rookie years, especially with how often rookie WRs don't really contribute. Not to mention that Cam was very much a "lock on to my #1 WR or scramble" QB during Benjamin's rookie year, where he matured last year and was more capable at spreading the ball around than he's probably ever been.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 9, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Funchess was also a converted TE who was pretty well regarded as a project who could've stood to stay another year in college to polish (though he really didn't have much else to prove at that level) so it's not really fair to compare their rookie years, especially with how often rookie WRs don't really contribute. Not to mention that Cam was very much a "lock on to my #1 WR or scramble" QB during Benjamin's rookie year, where he matured last year and was more capable at spreading the ball around than he's probably ever been.

I don't think the point that Funchess needs more time to develop as a receiver is a good argument for him being a threat to KB's production.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It's not, I was remarking on you comparing their rookie seasons and why that's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

That chemistry between Benjamin and Cam that you mentioned probably had just as much to do with Benjamin's talent as it does with Cam not really learning how to go through progressions until sometime around last year's OTAs

e: IF Funchess does take that expected step forward, Cam's newfound ability to spread the ball around could definitely hurt Benjamin's production. Whether most of that attention goes toward Funchess or not is kinda immaterial.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 9, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oh I didn't mean to make it sound like it was cut and dry. It was just another piece I looked at that leans me in the direction of thinking he won't hurt KB's production this year.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It's not, I was remarking on you comparing their rookie seasons and why that's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

That chemistry between Benjamin and Cam that you mentioned probably had just as much to do with Benjamin's talent as it does with Cam not really learning how to go through progressions until sometime around last year's OTAs

e: IF Funchess does take that expected step forward, Cam's newfound ability to spread the ball around could definitely hurt Benjamin's production. Whether most of that attention goes toward Funchess or not is kinda immaterial.

Because I have free time right now and no life, I wanted to actually look at whether Cam took a major step forward in terms of distributing the ball around. Here are the top 6 receivers in terms of receptions for 2014 and 2015 on Carolina.

I am not an analyst or anything but I don't see a big difference in the distribution of targets between the 2 years that can't be explained by losing your #1 WR. With no clear #1 option on the team, it makes sense that the distribution of targets would be tighter amongst the remaining receivers and the end result isn't much different. Ted Ginn grabbed a majority of Benji's targets, and then the remaining were kinda spread out amongst the rest of the receivers. If I am completely off-base let me know.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Really? I saw that hit but wasn't that in the first half? He ended up playing 51/72 offensive snaps so I am not sure what you mean.

I mean that was his one.

Hope there isn't a second.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The biggest thing I see there is the drop off between his #3 and #4-6 targets from year to year. Olsen is always going to get peppered as his best underneath option, and whoever the WR1 is is going to get the most downfield work, but it seems, at least on paper, that he relied heavier on those 4th and 5th reads last year than the year before and locked on to his WR1 less.

Now whether that is a mark if maturity, or a function of not having Benjamin remains to be seen, but considering how talented Cam is, I think it's a safe bet on the former (I personally think that not having Benjamin actually helped Cam in this regard but that's conjecture)

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 9, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah I think my reasoning for that is that Ted Ginn Jr. is not a WR1 in the same vein as KB so I would have never expected Ginn to see close to the targets that KB saw. I do see what you mean about his distribution between #4-6 and it will be interesting to watch as the year goes on.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I personally think that if Benjamin is healthy, he will definitely return his draft slot, and possibly a bit more (he was a guy I was targeting if he fell a round but that never happened), but I think with the steps forward that Cam has taken and the (potential) competition for targets, if anyone is expecting more than like WR15-18 with weekly TD-dependent WR1 upside, they are almost definitely going to be disappointed.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

That is fair. He is my WR3 and I would be flexxing him and would be really happy with that kind of production. (Other WRs are AB84 and Keenan Allen)

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I like week 1 overreacting, but game 1 overreacting is solid too.

KB just showed us he's a solid player on the road against a stout D. He disappeared in the second half since Cam's brain got rearranged.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Hey if I can't overreact and overanalyze the first game of the season, then why the hell am I playing fantasy football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
100%. Football season is all about small sample sizes and injury reports. And Charles Sims.

• Locked thread