Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In duels, you gotta be good at honorabu fightingu

In dominion, you dont actually have to be good at anything. Just start slapping the guy the other guys are slapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Honestly I wish duels let everyone just take a little bit of gear. Just for customization. We don't have to have a race to get better and better gear, just let me have my goddamn stat trade offs. I think my expectations of my character's performance is being skewed by my stat changes in Dominion.

Zzulu posted:

In duels, you gotta be good at honorabu fightingu

In dominion, you dont actually have to be good at anything. Just start slapping the guy the other guys are slapping

I dunno I'm pretty decent at taking on 1v2's even.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Gear being in the game at all outside of cosmetics is terrible design imo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What does "Takedown" mean? I need to do 5 of those to get my daily steel

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zzulu posted:

What does "Takedown" mean? I need to do 5 of those to get my daily steel

Kill a dude without executing him.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Do you have a uPnP option on your router? I just had to tick that to go from red to green, no manual shenanigans needed.

Also, apparently I'm the base around which all the matchmaking has been designed, cause in 1v1 honorabru duels I have a perfect 50% W/L rate with a 0.9x K/D ration. AMA.

You are an angel and I love you. I havent played the game since 8pm last night due to matchmaking.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

panda clue posted:

Kill a dude without executing him.

No I think it just means kill or kill assist.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's just a kill.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I 1v1 dueled a warden yesterday (as Lawbringer) who didn't know how to guard break, so for three rounds I just ran straight up to him and threw him off a cliff right at the start of the match.

He demanded an honorable rematch without falls, so I agreed, fully intending to just keep throwing him off the cliffs, but he selected a map that doesn't have cliffs.

After two rounds of me throwing/shoving him into every possible wall he rage quit when he realised he was gonna lose.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I probably should not have tried to go straight into Warlord. Is 1v1s the place to git gud? I feel like there's core stuff but experience between game modes might not carry well.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Pretty sure takedowns include assists but don't quote me.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

EDIT 2: I'm stand uncorrected.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 17, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
they don't. it's why the '8 takedowns without dying' is so hard, because you're unlikely to get that many kills in general.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pinbacker posted:

I 1v1 dueled a warden yesterday (as Lawbringer) who didn't know how to guard break, so for three rounds I just ran straight up to him and threw him off a cliff right at the start of the match.

He demanded an honorable rematch without falls, so I agreed, fully intending to just keep throwing him off the cliffs,

You bring Honor to all goons with this tactical strategy

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there such a thing as MMR in this game? Cause most of the time, 2v2 puts me up against people who get dominated. 60% of my matches are now purely made up of bots because people rage quit after a round or two.

I WISH Ubi would add a drat suspension penalty for ragequitters, it's honestly bullshit. You end up being forced to fight against a dummy bot even though it's no fun. Suspend players from rejoining an online match for 15 minutes or something if they ragequit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just had a warden main complain that lawbringer needed to be nerfed lmao

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they don't. it's why the '8 takedowns without dying' is so hard, because you're unlikely to get that many kills in general.

They do, that mission was for a kill streak, which doesn't count takedowns.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Funny how the most whiny players are Wardens and Orochis who just cant fathom how they could have lost to someone else.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Peacekeeper's stab timing.. So far I've only been able to do the triple stab once. Is the rhythm in time with the dagger entering them or?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's an important part of fighting games to be able blame yourself for all your failures.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I've had good luck timing it with each visual stab, not sure if that's the actual timing or simply coincidental.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

Any opinions or tips on Shogoki? Picked the game up last night and I love big slow characters and he seemed fun.

I've been playing him only for a short while, so take it with a grain of salt:

-Your Parry chains into a guardbreak that may or may not be uncounterable (I've had enemies tech out of it very rarely, so I dunno whether there's a window or I just messed up the timing in those instances). Make judicious use of it, since the guardbreak leads into your heavy demon ball for some pretty significant damage and the chance for bowling your enemy into some hazards.

-You have your armour for a reason. When you see the enemy wind up for something that's not hugely damaging, just slam them with one of your heavies instead of going for a block.

-Conversely, when your armour is drained, take a more defensive tack until it's restored. Go for parries and guardbreaks, avoid throwing out regular attacks that might be parried.

-You can cancel your running charge with the feint button. If you time it right, you can bowl over an enemy, cancel out of it, and have enough time to land a heavy attack.

-Your charge-up for an unblockable attack actually isn't all that much slower than a regular heavy. If your opponent looks like they'll be coming at you with something that has a long recovery (e.g. one of the Vikings' leaping attacks) give it a try. The range and arc is big enough that it's quite likely to catch them even if they finish the animation beforehand, and the damage is simply ridiculous.

-Demon's Embrace is kind of a gimmick, but a hilarious one. I'd generally suggest avoiding it until the last moment, when it would either make or break the fight. Knocking your opponent into a corner and then canceling into it from a heavy attack has alright odds at catching them. It's incredibly useful for groupfights, too.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Hahahaha yeah ok

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Loopoo posted:

I WISH Ubi would add a drat suspension penalty for ragequitters, it's honestly bullshit. You end up being forced to fight against a dummy bot even though it's no fun. Suspend players from rejoining an online match for 15 minutes or something if they ragequit.

LMAO that's a great way to hollow out the playerbase in about a week. Maybe blame the lovely matchmaking rather than the players who didn't want to pay money to get their face smashed in?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

LMAO that's a great way to hollow out the playerbase in about a week. Maybe blame the lovely matchmaking rather than the players who didn't want to pay money to get their face smashed in?

This is a pretty bold stance.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Reclaimer posted:

This is a pretty bold stance.

The argument is essentially "I am having fun crushing them and they're not having fun getting crushed. They leave and then I don't have any fun. So, they should be forced to be miserable so I have fun, on penalty of being locked out of their game that they paid for."

How about put the blame in the right place: the dumbshit matchmaking that puts together a match where one guy is guaranteed not to have any fun? Not the guy who leaves, not the guy who does the smashing. Or just resign yourself to fact that they already got punished with an asskicking + having to leave, re-queue, and try to find a decent game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minorkos posted:

guard break cancelling is pretty easy anyway

Until you buy the game for real shut up shut up shut up

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heartcatch posted:

It's an important part of fighting games to be able blame yourself for all your failures.

"Um actually I am faultless and I only lost because the fat man is a dumb and broken character!"- half the people I fight

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heartcatch posted:

Okay Mario, that one was your fault. :cheeky:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I have fun even when I'm losing because I'm learning new things and trying to discover how to counter them. If you're only having fun when winning, play against bots?

Even if you're getting totally shitstomped and are getting frustrated by it, it should only take about 2 minutes for the game to end. If you don't have the patience for that, you probably shouldn't be playing multiplayer games at all.

The argument is essentially "I am having fun crushing them and they're not having fun getting crushed. They leave and then I don't have any fun. So, they should be forced to be miserable so I have fun, on penalty of being locked out of their game that they paid for."

The argument is that games take only a couple of minutes (less if you are losing badly) and you should just suck it up and try to learn something rather than tossing your controller and stomping off. Hell, I usually re-queue against people that 3-0 me because I want to figure out how to counter their style of play. This is what fighting games are all about.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 17, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Until you buy the game for real shut up shut up shut up

I'm not about to get into the offensive/defense argument again, but guard break is largely considered very easy by people who play the game.

Unrelated: Play comp stomp dominion matches for full XP gain and skyrocket your way towards sick looking gear.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

In looking at character guides, lots of people keep talking about dashing. Are they just talking about dodging, or is there something I'm not aware of?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm not about to get into the offensive/defense argument again, but guard break is largely considered very easy by people who play the game.

Unrelated: Play comp stomp dominion matches for full XP gain and skyrocket your way towards sick looking gear.

People in this thread play the game and have posted otherwise :v: that's the whole point

10 Beers posted:

In looking at character guides, lots of people keep talking about dashing. Are they just talking about dodging, or is there something I'm not aware of?

Some people call certain moves dash attacks, like the Kensei or Orochi have? Maybe that's it?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's not hard. if you are finding it hard, you are not good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

In an actual fight against a real human throwing mixups at you, it is. If you know its coming, it isn't. That's the whole point.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Game's hard with mouse :( I find myself keep blocking wrong directions

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

People in this thread play the game and have posted otherwise :v: that's the whole point

There are people that think working a cash register is difficult. That doesn't actually make it difficult.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So how exactly do you check your K\D per hero on the PC? All i can see is my general win loss as a whole under my profile.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

"Um actually I am faultless and I only lost because the fat man is a dumb and broken character!"- half the people I fight

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay Mario, that one was your fault. :cheeky:

Hey! I said important, not necessary. :argh:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Then I am not good because I find it impossible to anticipate a guard break, I can't block any of the dual hatchet viking's attack chains, and am too astonished to use my bleed attack when I manage a deflect.

If you're a scrub bitch like me then take heart because you can still have fun and win some of your matches and even have a positive kdr sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Can you guard break Shugokis run? What do I do when they run to a choke like a bridge?