Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Morrow posted:

With all due respect, they didn't even need to show up to this battle. I feel like the villains need the divine name to succeed and can only get it from the heroes, while the heroes could probably have spent that hour evacuating Elmville or something instead. Villains would get pulled into hell but Porter can't ascend.

Of course, in that case they'd just get ambushed at Mordred Manor or something.

I've seen it pointed out that Sandra Lynn would know it, they talked about it with her there. That could have been a backdoor for Brennan. Or could still come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

MikeJF posted:

I've seen it pointed out that Sandra Lynn would know it, they talked about it with her there. That could have been a backdoor for Brennan. Or could still come into play.

Exactly. Hostages would bring them to that arena, one way or another

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
I'm kinda interested to see how the one artificer teacher takes what happened to his nephew. Given how he was trying to keep his nephew safe he might end up showing up as a new nemesis later.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Morrow posted:

With all due respect, they didn't even need to show up to this battle. I feel like the villains need the divine name to succeed and can only get it from the heroes, while the heroes could probably have spent that hour evacuating Elmville or something instead. Villains would get pulled into hell but Porter can't ascend.

Of course, in that case they'd just get ambushed at Mordred Manor or something.

there was a short scene on the ship while it was still in the air where after they attempted to summon with the fake name, three of the villains stealthed and landed on the ship, cast something that brennan implied was a detect thoughts spell, and then teleported away & i think everyone assumed that the true name was given up at that point. it either wasn't the case or brennan forgot he did that foreshadowing, but either way that necessitated their intervention

plus they had to get the ballots in before midnight

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

flatluigi posted:

there was a short scene on the ship while it was still in the air where after they attempted to summon with the fake name, three of the villains stealthed and landed on the ship, cast something that brennan implied was a detect thoughts spell, and then teleported away & i think everyone assumed that the true name was given up at that point. it either wasn't the case or brennan forgot he did that foreshadowing, but either way that necessitated their intervention

plus they had to get the ballots in before midnight

If I remember right the implication was whoever it was (gorgug I think?) made the save

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Blockhouse posted:

If I remember right the implication was whoever it was (gorgug I think?) made the save

Sure, but they could have just cast it again. Shouldn’t take too many attempts to probe a barbarian, and the Bad Kids were way too busy with the dragons etc. to mount an effective counterattack

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Seeing a lot of angst online about the dual nature of Brendan’s explicit anticapitalist messages vs the violence encouraged by the miniatures and ruleset.

I mean, yeah… that’s kinda the problem with miniatures heavy games and ttrpg systems that have 100:1 combat to else rules written down.

Also some angst at the clowning and sheer dedication to bits over story from a cast of seasoned live improv comedians.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'boy, some people have some strong opinions elsewhere that i don't agree with' is a pretty weak way to start a conversation

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

MrQueasy posted:

Seeing a lot of angst online about the dual nature of Brendan’s explicit anticapitalist messages vs the violence encouraged by the miniatures and ruleset.

I mean, yeah… that’s kinda the problem with miniatures heavy games and ttrpg systems that have 100:1 combat to else rules written down.

Also some angst at the clowning and sheer dedication to bits over story from a cast of seasoned live improv comedians.

I saw an interview with him or read secondhand about how that’s what he loves about the rulesets. As a person, he does not give a gently caress about how combat works or how far an arrow can fly, so he uses rulesets that handle that for him so he can get back to designing situations for people to talk to each other and build out stories

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

flatluigi posted:

'boy, some people have some strong opinions elsewhere that i don't agree with' is a pretty weak way to start a conversation
I think I'm naturally gun-shy when tiptoe-ing around System Matters kind of discourse.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Curious if by "a lot" you mean a handful of people on the Dropout Discord or something. Personally the Discord reminded me a lot of when you go to a live recording of a podcast and realize people are waaaaaaay more into that thing than you are. The devotion you would see teens giving pop stars, which, whatever, but personally find kind of uncomfortable.

The MSG thing made a bit more sense to me, as doing a big live show that costs $300 for the nosebleeds is a big oof given their politics... but also they're entertainers not politicians. Hate the game not the players, live in a society, etc. etc.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Curious if by "a lot" you mean a handful of people on the Dropout Discord or something. Personally the Discord reminded me a lot of when you go to a live recording of a podcast and realize people are waaaaaaay more into that thing than you are. The devotion you would see teens giving pop stars, which, whatever, but personally find kind of uncomfortable.

That's why I stopped hanging out in the Discord too! But I'm mostly seeing it in my twitter feed, which is what I get for clicking on GameChanger clips and also continuing to read twitter.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I get the sense Dropout in it's positivity and legitimately great programming has a more parasocial fanbase than, say, Netflix might. Talent and brand are much more intertwined and the cross pollinated and such.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's definitely super parasocial. Many of the recent GameChanger episodes rely on you knowing or giving a drat about the contestants (Brennan, Grant, Don't Cry..).

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

When I first started watching D20 in January of 2023, I’d sometimes pop over to read old Reddit posts about the episodes. ACOC was absolutely when I had to stop doing that because reading them going apoplectic at Emily’s second character’s rudeness was making my skin crawl from awkwardness

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Not to be awkward and parasocial myself, but I get the impression that, if anyone can handle their own online backlash, it is Emily Axford.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Inkspot posted:

Not to be awkward and parasocial myself, but I get the impression that, if anyone can handle their own online backlash, it is Emily Axford.

I think you mean Mary-Ann Scuttle

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MrQueasy posted:

theres nothing anti-violence about anti-capitalism. dropout discord posters are children

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dimension 20 seems to attract a lot of people who absolutely refuse to treat it as a comedy show.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is there any show where the fans online aren't the worst part?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dropout official discord is dropping chat features, BTW.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

MrQueasy posted:

I've noticed a very strange dichotomy at play with fans of D&D actual play shows. They correctly identify a lot of the problems inherent with D&D (a fixation on violence as the ultimate way of dealing with problems, a historical link to extractivist colonialism, extremely regressive ideologies regarding races being inherently better or worse at things) yet completely lose interest when the hosts pivot to different systems in order to avoid those problems entirely. It's an extremely weird Oberoni Fallacy by proxy ("I need to watch you play D&D or else I lose interest, but also I need you to fix all of D&D's problems or else I'll get mad at you").

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Froghammer posted:

I've noticed a very strange dichotomy at play with fans of D&D actual play shows. They correctly identify a lot of the problems inherent with D&D (a fixation on violence as the ultimate way of dealing with problems, a historical link to extractivist colonialism, extremely regressive ideologies regarding races being inherently better or worse at things) yet completely lose interest when the hosts pivot to different systems in order to avoid those problems entirely. It's an extremely weird Oberoni Fallacy by proxy ("I need to watch you play D&D or else I lose interest, but also I need you to fix all of D&D's problems or else I'll get mad at you").

i think this falls into the fallacy of assuming these are the same people complaining, instead of a shift leading into a different subset of voices becoming louder.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

flatluigi posted:

i think this falls into the fallacy of assuming these are the same people complaining, instead of a shift leading into a different subset of voices becoming louder.

Eh, this kinda thing happens in a lot of fandoms. I know Wrestling had a problem for a while where people were saying "I want wrestling, but with/without $thing", and when people happily pointed out that there were promotions that did $thing, or didn't do $thing, they resisted.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Curious if by "a lot" you mean a handful of people on the Dropout Discord or something.

This got mentioned in one of my work chats this morning, so I glanced at the howling wasteland that used to be Twitter. There are a surprising number of people on there who immediately hyperfixated on the Rat Grinders and aren't thrilled about how their story appears to be concluding.

Somebody made the point in an unrelated discussion that "this story isn't turning out how I wanted" isn't a criticism as much as it's a customer service complaint, and that's most of this. There's a vocal part of the FHJY audience that would be much happier with this season if the Rat Grinders weren't antagonists.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Froghammer posted:

the desire to shift systems confuses me because d&d is a good enough sim system for complex social interaction, especially if you have the patience to reskin skill and stat names. the problems inherent with d&d that you listed dont really have mechanical origins, or at worst are mechanically irrelevant now and can be easily ignored. but maybe the alternatives youre referring to are like super-advanced sim engines like GURPS and im approaching this from the wrong angle

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Neito posted:

Eh, this kinda thing happens in a lot of fandoms. I know Wrestling had a problem for a while where people were saying "I want wrestling, but with/without $thing", and when people happily pointed out that there were promotions that did $thing, or didn't do $thing, they resisted.

there's a pretty fundamental difference in that, though: if you have a group that you're a fan of doing something that you're not a fan of, what you're talking about is essentially dropping the group entirely, versus wanting the group to change what they're doing so that you can enjoy the group more. it's just a matter of whether you like the group more than you dislike what they're doing, as well as how likely the group is to switch up what they're doing in the future

if i personally want to go dive into some actual play that doesn't use dnd, i'll go listen to friends at the table (which i'm horribly behind on). simultaneously i do also really like the dropout crew, and as much as 5e is entirely serviceable for what they're doing most of the time i'd love to see them play different systems that might suit both storytelling and gameplay a bit better (when pbta) -- but also i don't think i need to have them do it because they've been entirely up front with why they're using 5e & how aware they are of its weaknesses and strengths. i really liked hearing aabria say that 5e was chosen for burrow's end *because* it fundamentally centers combat and therefore colors how the stoats interact with the world at a baseline

edit:

scary ghost dog posted:

the desire to shift systems confuses me because d&d is a good enough sim system for complex social interaction, especially if you have the patience to reskin skill and stat names. the problems inherent with d&d that you listed dont really have mechanical origins, or at worst are mechanically irrelevant now and can be easily ignored. but maybe the alternatives youre referring to are like super-advanced sim engines like GURPS and im approaching this from the wrong angle

it's 'good enough' for a lot of things (especially the more house rules you throw on top of it), but there's absolutely systems that provide better support for noncombat situations as well as frameworks to introduce interesting complications to gameplay in general.

it's a bit hard to explain until you've seen people play with different systems and seen what can spring up from being on that different foundation. one of the most fundamental things to me is that d&d is very pass/fail by default; you meet a threshold and you do the thing or you don't hit the threshold and nothing happens. roll badly enough and you're just never moving the narrative forward. a lot of alternative systems address that

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 17, 2024

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Xand_Man posted:

Dropout official discord is dropping chat features, BTW.

they mentioned a few weeks ago the official Discord was shutting down soon, probably because the people there are insufferable

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

New VIP is up and I think in an interview weeks ago Sam said this is the most Brennan Brennan has ever Brennan'd

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, the first 20 seconds of the interview are already amazing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I am very surprised about how absolutely physical Brennan was in this episode.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mob posted:

they mentioned a few weeks ago the official Discord was shutting down soon, probably because the people there are insufferable

Honestly, running your own fan community seems like an awful idea, since any moderation issue, whether it be strict or lax, can blown up into a PR nightmare. Also, for a brand that is as personally driven as Dropout, an official Discord has an implication of access to the performers.

Which is ridiculous to a normal person, of course, but well... Nerds, man.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mob posted:

While I kind of agree, I'm still generally happy for the obsessive fans. Always going to be that energy out there, and if you're going to glob onto something, Dropout feels like it has to be one of the healthier ones. Also certainly helped them survive and thrive when they were working on a shoestring budget.
Enjoying the theme of guests asking to move into Vic's apartment.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
pretty sure Brennan broke character when he was climbing all over Sam and asking about the coffee smell

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

there's a pretty fundamental difference in that, though: if you have a group that you're a fan of doing something that you're not a fan of, what you're talking about is essentially dropping the group entirely, versus wanting the group to change what they're doing so that you can enjoy the group more. it's just a matter of whether you like the group more than you dislike what they're doing, as well as how likely the group is to switch up what they're doing in the future

if i personally want to go dive into some actual play that doesn't use dnd, i'll go listen to friends at the table (which i'm horribly behind on). simultaneously i do also really like the dropout crew, and as much as 5e is entirely serviceable for what they're doing most of the time i'd love to see them play different systems that might suit both storytelling and gameplay a bit better (when pbta) -- but also i don't think i need to have them do it because they've been entirely up front with why they're using 5e & how aware they are of its weaknesses and strengths. i really liked hearing aabria say that 5e was chosen for burrow's end *because* it fundamentally centers combat and therefore colors how the stoats interact with the world at a baseline

edit:

it's 'good enough' for a lot of things (especially the more house rules you throw on top of it), but there's absolutely systems that provide better support for noncombat situations as well as frameworks to introduce interesting complications to gameplay in general.

it's a bit hard to explain until you've seen people play with different systems and seen what can spring up from being on that different foundation. one of the most fundamental things to me is that d&d is very pass/fail by default; you meet a threshold and you do the thing or you don't hit the threshold and nothing happens. roll badly enough and you're just never moving the narrative forward. a lot of alternative systems address that

This is all true, but I think in this discussion what often gets lost is those alternative systems also have their own issues and confines just as much as D&D or Pathfinder. Like, you cited PBTA, and every game using that system I've ever seen/heard or even just read the sourcebooks for has the issue that you have to be telling a story with the very specific kind of arc the designers intend or the whole thing breaks. It's basically impossible in most of them to play a character against type, and that can be wonderful if you buy into the social contract that that's exactly the story you're going to tell, I do feel like it's nowhere near as flexible as people make it out to be. Or as another example, Dread is a great system for a very particular kind of horror experience that is defined by loss or sacrifice, and you could absolutely hack it to represent other things, but it's fundamentally built around a mechanic designed to create tension around when, not if, a catastrophic failure's going to happen. Or heck, dipping into licensed games, the Doctor Who RPG has a fantastic system FOR Doctor Who to resolve initiative, where talking is resolved first, and fighting last, because that's how the show works, violence is the last resort. But that wouldn't work for a more traditional space opera where the players want to be shooting lasers and rescuing space princes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean the answer is that you use those systems for the things they're suited for and you don't use those systems for the things they're not suited for

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i joined the dropout discord a few weeks ago and in the rules they are very explicit about not being too familiar with the cast of the shows if/when they show up.

on to more fun stuff. holy poo poo today's vip is the best one so far.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm excited for season 2 of vip now that people have more of an idea of what works and doesn't work when exploring the setup of the show

and yeah, brennan's ep is easily the best

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

holy poo poo what did i just watch at 1am

how are brennan and vic so loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

holy poo poo what did i just watch at 1am

how are brennan and vic so loving good

Really want Vic on a side quest. They did a little arc on Zac’s podcast and their sweet bumbling energy was so good