Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/nsw-health-facing-criminal-prosecution-over-deaths-of-two-nurses-20230717-p5doue.html

The SMH posted:

NSW Health is facing criminal prosecution over allegations the agency failed in its duty of care over two nurses who died while working at the largest psychiatric hospital in the state.

Friends of the two nurses, who worked in an acute mental health ward at Cumberland Hospital, have been kept in the dark over why, in late 2020, the two women, who were in a relationship, died within weeks of each other.

Details of the case remain secret because of a strict confidentiality agreement between the Western Sydney Local Health District and the prosecutor, SafeWork NSW.

During a hearing on Monday, lawyers for the district said they would oppose a bid by the Herald to have the 52-page court document released to the public.

But multiple sources told the Herald their deaths occurred shortly after a suspension from work which had left them both deeply distressed and confused.

Like the case, the details of the suspension remain unclear, but friends who spoke to the Herald on the condition of anonymity because they are employees of NSW Health said the two women had been left “gobsmacked” after they were stood down.

“They weren’t told anything,” one source said.

At the time of the suspension, both women told friends they believed they had been stood down due to their relationship, and because, the sources recounted, they had been blamed for “doctoring” a logbook that tracked the distribution of medicines.

“She believed they were being discriminated against,” one NSW Health employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said of the second of the two women to die.

“They had found some discrepancies in [the log] and she said they were being blamed for it but that she didn’t do it.”

While this masthead has not been able to confirm whether those fears are the subject of the current criminal case, during Monday’s brief hearing Judge Andrew Scotting confirmed that the case related to the “two nurses”.

The culture of some NSW hospitals has been the subject of significant scrutiny recently.

Earlier this month staff at Concord Hospital passed a motion of no confidence against the Sydney Local Health District chief executive Teresa Anderson due to concerns including a toxic workplace culture and a backlog of radiology scans. The concerns prompted an intervention by Health Minister Ryan Park after they were revealed by this masthead.

SafeWork began investigating the Western Sydney Local Health District after the NSW Nurses and Midwives Union referred the matter to the agency in late 2020 because of concerns about an internal investigation carried out by the health district.

The union’s secretary Shaye Candish confirmed the union had “raised concerns” with SafeWork in November and that “a case is currently before the court”.

This masthead has learnt that in December 2020 SafeWork issued Cumberland Hospital with three improvement notices relating to the case. The agency refused to comment on those notices, due to the ongoing case.

However, it continued to investigate and in November 2022 filed a criminal case against the district.

A charge sheet lodged with the NSW District Court shows the Western Sydney Local Health District is alleged to have failed to comply with its duty of care over the two nurses under work, health and safety legislation. The charge relates to a three-month period between August and November 2020.

Despite lawyers for SafeWork NSW telling the court on Monday that it was “an appropriate time” for the district to enter a plea, its lawyers successfully had the matter deferred until August.

The Western Sydney Local Health District has refused to comment, but during the brief hearing its lawyer Emily Aitken said it would be opposing the Herald’s application for documents relating to the case to be released to the public.

NSW Health continues to unsurprisingly be an absolutely terrible employer.

It's like they didn't learn anything in the past three years.

Edit: :synpa:

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lol Victoria

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

Lol Victoria

Lol. Probably the right thing to do though

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

EoinCannon posted:

Lol. Probably the right thing to do though

Absolutely. It would have completely hosed a nearly completely hosed Geelong.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Adelaide Metro has to be the worst loving public transport system in the entire country.

Always late, terrible coverage, and they intentionally hosed up letting riders use debt card to pay instead of their lovely metrocards by 1) only placing debt readers on like 50% of the busses so you still had to keep a card on you every time you ride just in case 2) hiding the debt readers at the exit of the bus so nobody used them

Now it seems they've ripped them all out because of lack of use. gently caress buses.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pleasant Friend posted:

Adelaide Metro has to be the worst loving public transport system in the entire country.

Always late, terrible coverage, and they intentionally hosed up letting riders use debt card to pay instead of their lovely metrocards by 1) only placing debt readers on like 50% of the busses so you still had to keep a card on you every time you ride just in case 2) hiding the debt readers at the exit of the bus so nobody used them

Now it seems they've ripped them all out because of lack of use. gently caress buses.

They haven't ripped anything out yet, they just haven't finished the rollout.

It started not too long ago on all Trams and O-Bahn buses, and is planned to be on all buses by the end of 2023.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about-us/news/news-items/2023/easy-ways-to-pay-on-buses

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Didn’t Victoria only win this bid reasonably recently? Amazing whipsaw in the space of a year or so.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
wish theyd cancel those bloody olympic games next

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Recoome posted:

Didn’t Victoria only win this bid reasonably recently? Amazing whipsaw in the space of a year or so.

Not win, just say we’ll do it because no else will. And no no one will.

King Chuck will never open a Commonwealth Games.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they were asked to do it a year ago because no one else was interested (because the games are a bad idea that don't make financial sense for anyone) but they significantly underestimated the costs then and realised it doesn't make any sense now

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Recoome posted:

Lol Victoria

I thought your gimmick was pointing out Victoria doing stupid stuff???

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eediot Jedi posted:

I thought your gimmick was pointing out Victoria doing stupid stuff???

the smart move would've been not to do it at all, but similarly to QLD Labor state governments have been horny for international sporting events at the expense of literally everything else

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Recoome posted:

the smart move would've been not to do it at all, but similarly to QLD Labor state governments have been horny for international sporting events at the expense of literally everything else

:hai:

I hear there's good facilities going to waste in Wagga Wagga though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
If the world still exists in 2032 I will probably fly to Brisbane for the Olympics so I can watch the climbing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SMH posted:

High-earning PwC partners were “almost bulletproof” against misconduct claims and the pursuit of profit meant ethics wobbled when prospective clients were being pursued, a former director of the major consulting firm told a Senate inquiry. Earlier on Monday at the inquiry into consulting giants, Deloitte confirmed an employee had been stood down over an “inadvertent breach” involving government information, while former competition watchdog chairman Allan Fels argued for the break-up of the big four consultancies – KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and EY.
Labor senator Deborah O’Neill, who chairs the Corporations and Financial Services Committee which released a damning 143-page document revealing the scale of the tax scandal, criticised the current system that meant partners who were fired for misconduct were often free to work elsewhere.
Murray recalled one incident when a managing partner, now deceased, went from a long, boozy lunch to an event welcoming the firm’s new graduates where, according to Murray, he was making inappropriate comments and getting “handsy”. “[He] went and handed himself into HR [human resources] the next day to say, ‘hey, if I might be in a bit of trouble here’,” she said. “Nothing came of it in terms of complaints,” she said. Employees also had to be “sponsored” by senior partners to get promoted to partner themselves, which perpetuated some of the behaviour.

A shocked pikachu that is made up of smaller, shocked-er pikachus.

Also lol using the term "wobbled" regarding ethics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

They haven't ripped anything out yet, they just haven't finished the rollout.

It started not too long ago on all Trams and O-Bahn buses, and is planned to be on all buses by the end of 2023.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about-us/news/news-items/2023/easy-ways-to-pay-on-buses

I don't know about trains or O-Bahn but I was talking to a bus driver today and he said they scrapped them. Adelaide Metro stinks.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Recoome posted:

Yes, and the context makes it dumber. South Australia withdrew their bid to host it in 2019 for reasons that might be familiar (people realised that it would cost billions more than it would generate). Commonwealth Games Australia spent another year or so lobbying SA to try to get them to reconsider and even got PwC to create a report that claimed it would generate billions in revenue for South Australia. They didn’t make any progress convincing SA and Victoria inexplicably made a bid after this, so Victoria’s bid was very last minute

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yes, and the context makes it dumber. South Australia withdrew their bid to host it in 2019 for reasons that might be familiar (people realised that it would cost billions more than it would generate). Commonwealth Games Australia spent another year or so lobbying SA to try to get them to reconsider and even got PwC to create a report that claimed it would generate billions in revenue for South Australia. They didn’t make any progress convincing SA and Victoria inexplicably made a bid after this, so Victoria’s bid was very last minute

I wonder how much one of the big 4 got paid to write the bs that briefly conned Victoria.

Of course, notorious idiot Basil Zemplis is all for Perth to host it. I am glad he is willing to throw money after useless bullshit while trying to not give any money to protect the "smelly" homeless in the city.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At this point it's pretty much a contest between who realises it's a massive white elephant and city-destroying grift vs who wants at this point mostly imaginary prestige and clout.

Do people even care that much about the Olympics anymore? I feel it was a bigger thing when I was a kid, though maybe that's just nostalgia talking. At this point I feel like Sonic and Mario get more attention than the actual games do.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At this point it's pretty much a contest between who realises it's a massive white elephant and city-destroying grift vs who wants at this point mostly imaginary prestige and clout.

Do people even care that much about the Olympics anymore? I feel it was a bigger thing when I was a kid, though maybe that's just nostalgia talking. At this point I feel like Sonic and Mario get more attention than the actual games do.

The negative reality of hosting an Olympics, who it really benefits, and the corruption involved in bidding and the IOC is more widely known than it used to be. There's a pretty big anti Olympics organisation for the LA games. It's probably in decline as far as what governments are willing to spend on it, but sports are still a pretty powerful and bankable spectacle.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i hope dan andrews ran it by the big four before cancelling it..

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

The negative reality of hosting an Olympics, who it really benefits, and the corruption involved in bidding and the IOC is more widely known than it used to be. There's a pretty big anti Olympics organisation for the LA games. It's probably in decline as far as what governments are willing to spend on it, but sports are still a pretty powerful and bankable spectacle.

Yeah but we have worldwide broadcast media, why does one place need to host "the olympics" and build a billion loving stupid useless stadiums.

Here, I have a solution. Track and field is in Denver. Swimming is in Hokkaido. Combat sports in Milan. Stick different sport groupings in different cities, simulcast.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hooman posted:

Yeah but we have worldwide broadcast media, why does one place need to host "the olympics" and build a billion loving stupid useless stadiums.

Here, I have a solution. Track and field is in Denver. Swimming is in Hokkaido. Combat sports in Milan. Stick different sport groupings in different cities, simulcast.

lol no idea why. It's a mystery. Just like why everyone likes medicare but for some reason it's never properly funded. It's super weird!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't know about trains or O-Bahn but I was talking to a bus driver today and he said they scrapped them. Adelaide Metro stinks.

Sounds like the bus driver doesn't know what he was talking about, unless this is hot off the presses in the last few hours.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On this note, I hope we gently caress the F1 back off to Adelaide next

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I mean this is also the state that had a defence lawyer as a police informant and literally went "welp, nothing to see here" with pollies criticising the person they brought in to investigate this mess.

The Victorian state government weren't tricked into this, they knew the cost when they signed up to it.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

freebooter posted:

On this note, I hope we gently caress the F1 back off to Adelaide next

F1 is boring as poo poo, and I hate the tourists jamming up trams when I'm trying to get to work, but at least all the infrastructure is already there

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

:hai:

hahahaahahahahaa

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I get the games are stupidly expensive, what happens to the costs if the same country just keeps rehosting each time?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Why empty office spaces could be bad news for your super - ABC news

Want your super to keep rising, well get back into the office you bum. Its your fault the overly inflated and propped up business leasing bubble is floundering and they're having to *shock horror* drop their prices.

Oh dear, it's as if certain investments are meant to be guarantees and banks aren't at all concerned about this shipload of commercial property being leveraged and it's the poors fault for not commuting hours to and from work each day to keep the prices meaty.

Get hosed and convert them to liveable space since there's now magically fuckloads of demand.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snickothemule posted:

Why empty office spaces could be bad news for your super - ABC news

Want your super to keep rising, well get back into the office you bum. Its your fault the overly inflated and propped up business leasing bubble is floundering and they're having to *shock horror* drop their prices.

Oh dear, it's as if certain investments are meant to be guarantees and banks aren't at all concerned about this shipload of commercial property being leveraged and it's the poors fault for not commuting hours to and from work each day to keep the prices meaty.

Get hosed and convert them to liveable space since there's now magically fuckloads of demand.

There's a discussion in some other thread I can't remember at the moment, turns out it's not easy or cheap to convert office buildings to apartments, and they tend to turn out poo poo

It was the tech nightmares thread

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 18, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeh it's the same with shipping containers. Turns out poo poo that wasn't made to live in is bad to live in and requires so much modification that it makes far more sense to build elsewhere. Also there's already plenty of good homes ready to go right now. On Airbnb there are hundreds for tonight rn in Melbourne CBD. Hundreds of entire apartments.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

EoinCannon posted:

There's a discussion in some other thread I can't remember at the moment, turns out it's not easy or cheap to convert office buildings to apartments, and they tend to turn out poo poo

It was the tech nightmares thread

I had a look and I gotta post this listing from that thread

Rebel Blob posted:

Relating to the conversation about converting offices to housing, here is an office in San Rafael that has done just that. Not inside a major city, but an interesting example. Listed for $520,000 for a 1,066 ft² 1 bedroom/1 bath condo (with $655 a month in HOA fees).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
that looks really nice its just a shame about the flourescent lights

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the government should repossess the land and tear down the office buildings and build flats

local council and state government gets no say

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recoome posted:

I mean this is also the state that had a defence lawyer as a police informant and literally went "welp, nothing to see here" with pollies criticising the person they brought in to investigate this mess.

I didn't really follow the Gobbo case closely, but I know that one of the results was a massive (and possibly counter-productive) strengthening of disclosure requirements to the point where Victoria's are now the strictest in the country, so I don't think it's fair to say the result was "welp"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GrandMaster posted:

F1 is boring as poo poo, and I hate the tourists jamming up trams when I'm trying to get to work, but at least all the infrastructure is already there

Yeah but it's still an event where the government claims it brings in more money than it costs us to host, and we're supposed to take them at their word for it. And not ask "money for whom"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like F1 it's cool. Fun day watching cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

I didn't really follow the Gobbo case closely, but I know that one of the results was a massive (and possibly counter-productive) strengthening of disclosure requirements to the point where Victoria's are now the strictest in the country, so I don't think it's fair to say the result was "welp"

Hold the people accountable tbh - it’s just classic public service mentality of “it’s too hard to challenge” and lack of bravery to hold VicPol accountable, never mind the trust in the courts.