Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

what college basketball doesn't count?

As a UNC alum, the romance has worn thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I could stare at closed blinds anywhere.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm a merchant seaman, I make like 150-200k, I ship out of Norfolk and I'm home on vacation half the year. Most of my peers live in like some overseas garden spot or a farm in Vermont or a ski town. Can any of you imagine spending big money to vacation half the year in Raleigh? All I do here is kill my liver and grow new chins. I was living downtown in Durham in 2014, and it was supposed to be temporary, just to party for a while, but here I am.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and you're not a hockey fan either I guess

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

and you're not a hockey fan either I guess

I enjoy the hockey games, they're a bright spot here, but I don't really consider the poor NHL major league either.

Edit: the US is just so bad to live in at densities between "heavy rail mass transit" and "farmhouse"

poll plane variant fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 12, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Offer day, first one in: 50k over asking, escalation clause to 100k over asking.

:stare:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Residency Evil posted:

Offer day, first one in: 50k over asking, escalation clause to 100k over asking.

Weak, double asking is apparently getting to be a starting point in Raleigh.

edit: Wife says she will not leave Raleigh unless studio apartments go over 6k/mo, period. She's dead set on staying here lmao

edit2: nightmares about ending up under a bridge in Durham like everyone else who thought they could stay solvent longer than the market could stay irrational

poll plane variant fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 12, 2021

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
You could get a 6k/mo studio in San Francisco pre-pandemic. Probably a decent 1-bed now for that price.

I liked Raleigh a lot, but also the time to buy was 5 years ago when downtown was really starting to make big changes. Got a friend who bought a small house and walkable to Fayetteville Street; I'm sure he'll do well when he eventually sells. We looked at buying now in Raleigh and it's the worst of both worlds: lots of new houses for $$$, but also more room for more developments so if you go to sell there in 10 years there will be even newer houses in that Research Triangle -> UNC or Durham area.

If they ever did build light rail between the cities, that would help immensely, but that's a pipe dream. Good luck goon.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
If you're in the right industry, the RDU area has jobs like a motherfucker and is showing precisely zero signs of stopping any time soon.

We moved here for my wife's job in 2013 and bought a house in the burbs in 2016. It's us, we're the transplants.

Not ideal, but nowhere is. No matter where you move to you can find something to bitch about. That said, it's 2.5 hours from the ocean, 3.5 hours from the mountains, so could be worse.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The only problem with Raleigh is that too many people like Schnorkles are moving to it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm embarrassed about how much I'm offering but it seems sane compared to these.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

And you were worried.....

The downside to this bullshit market is you’ll have write a similar offer for the next house.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm a merchant seaman, I make like 150-200k, I ship out of Norfolk and I'm home on vacation half the year. Most of my peers live in like some overseas garden spot or a farm in Vermont or a ski town. Can any of you imagine spending big money to vacation half the year in Raleigh? All I do here is kill my liver and grow new chins. I was living downtown in Durham in 2014, and it was supposed to be temporary, just to party for a while, but here I am.

I think you’re a loving monster for having a job where you’re away for half of the year and demanding that your wife leave her entire support system of family and friends just so you can own a house. She would be utterly alone for 6 months out of the year. If she was a real life friend of mine, I’d be warning her heavily off and sending her abuse questionnaires.

Get some therapy for your anxiety, see a financial planner to make a real retirement plan instead of just bitching about how you missed out on a real estate bubble, and save money for a better down payment. My sister in law just bought a house in a Raleigh suburb and she’a a loving kindergarten teacher. It’s doable, but you will have to reconsider your priorities. With $200,000 coming in, you should be able to save a massive one unless you’re just shooting hundreds out of a t shirt cannon constantly.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We're putting in an offer tomorrow for 100k over asking (waving all contingencies natch) and our realtor thinks it's on the lighter side. I mean we could technically afford another 10k I gotta put my foot down somewhere!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This thread is an emotional rollercoaster of the truest sense. Do never buy

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's up with markets where stuff goes for Over Asking? We just raise asking, here

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

And you were worried.....

The downside to this bullshit market is you’ll have write a similar offer for the next house.

Yeah, I have no idea how to even calculate whether this is a good or bad offer/return after 2 years. Did houses in our suburb of Philly go up more or less than a comparable house in Denver? Maybe? How specific is it to our individual house/neighborhood versus the market? Etc

Real estate is really dumb to speculate on.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

skipdogg posted:

Yea I just had this conversation yesterday. Unless you are renting your next place or moving to a substantially cheaper home, then the gain isn't as great as it seems because you're going to have to sink those gains back into the inflated market. But its still a way better position than the first-time home buyers who are buying in for the first time without the windfall from selling in a hot market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's up with markets where stuff goes for Over Asking? We just raise asking, here

You raise the asking price? How gauche. Must be a west coast thing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

nm.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 12, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

laxbro posted:

Yea I just had this conversation yesterday. Unless you are renting your next place or moving to a substantially cheaper home, then the gain isn't as great as it seems because you're going to have to sink those gains back into the inflated market. But its still a way better position than the first-time home buyers who are buying in for the first time without the windfall from selling in a hot market.

I'm afraid that the market I'm selling in isn't going to be NEARLY as hot as the one I'm looking at buying in :stonk:

Which brings me to another question . . . . in theory, there's no way that this is how the market is going to be forever, yeah? That is to say: the market can be pretty cyclical, can't it? (Or am I way off base here and it really only ever does go up)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hutla posted:

I think you’re a loving monster for having a job where you’re away for half of the year and demanding that your wife leave her entire support system of family and friends just so you can own a house. She would be utterly alone for 6 months out of the year. If she was a real life friend of mine, I’d be warning her heavily off and sending her abuse questionnaires.

Get some therapy for your anxiety, see a financial planner to make a real retirement plan instead of just bitching about how you missed out on a real estate bubble, and save money for a better down payment. My sister in law just bought a house in a Raleigh suburb and she’a a loving kindergarten teacher. It’s doable, but you will have to reconsider your priorities. With $200,000 coming in, you should be able to save a massive one unless you’re just shooting hundreds out of a t shirt cannon constantly.

Thank you for summarizing my feelings on all of those posts that happened overnight.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm a full remote worker, still live here, and this even depresses me. There's a certain economic security by staying in a tech area even when you have a remote job, and pre-covid I did a lot of business travel (RDU is a stellar airport and I will defend it to the death even though air travel is killing the planet). But goddamn dude maybe don't be married if you are out to sea forever and your spouse loves an area you hate.

People defending Raleigh with the #hrs to destinations have to do that because the triangle is such a non-destination itself.

Some background: I moved here in 2003 for grad school and bought a house in 2007 just outside the beltline in southeast raleigh. Our house needs more renovations than we have the energy or time for given we have a toddler, and we need a bit more space for extended stay grandparents due to same toddler. Our lot nor house are particularly well suited for an addition but if this housing market poo poo continues we may be looking at a move-out remodel.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 12, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Primary residence gains are tax free, don’t get that in a reit

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Throatwarbler posted:

Primary residence gains are tax free, don’t get that in a reit

Only a pittance of em

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

People defending Raleigh with the #hrs to destinations have to do that because the triangle is such a non-destination itself.
Counterpoint: The beaches in NC are amazing. I think a lot of people in Raleigh would live closer to the beaches if there were jobs any closer to the beaches.

Also, Raleigh is fun, but it suffers from it's fast growth. There are very few people in Raleigh that are from Raleigh. So moving to Raleigh and then complaining that there's nothing to do means that you are the problem you're complaining about.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Dik Hz posted:

Counterpoint: The beaches in NC are amazing. I think a lot of people in Raleigh would live closer to the beaches if there were jobs any closer to the beaches.
This isn't a counterpoint, this is literally my loving point.

Dik Hz posted:

Also, Raleigh is fun, but it suffers from it's fast growth. There are very few people in Raleigh that are from Raleigh. So moving to Raleigh and then complaining that there's nothing to do means that you are the problem you're complaining about.

Buddy I moved here in 2003 and am from NC so while I'm not a Raleigh native I'm sure as gently caress closer than 90% of the folks here. There has *never* been anything to do in Raleigh. It is simply the overlap in a venn diagram of: tech jobs, cheap housing, and humidity. Or at least it was until about a year ago when it moved into just the overlap between tech jobs and humidity.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
I'm in Michigan and just had a conversation with my lender and even she is telling me I should just wait and sit tight for the market to settle the gently caress down. There are plenty of properties in my budget and preferred areas, but none of that really matters if I can't even get to the table without offering some degenerate price over asking and bridging whatever gap appears in appraisal out of pocket. When I told my lender that this was common in the market here she said, and I quote, "that's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard".

My main draw to buy was just to build equity in something. Worst case I just resign my apartment lease and keep on keeping on, since its not like my current house is selling and I need to find something NOW or I'm hosed.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

jaffyjaffy posted:

I'm in Michigan and just had a conversation with my lender and even she is telling me I should just wait and sit tight for the market to settle the gently caress down. There are plenty of properties in my budget and preferred areas, but none of that really matters if I can't even get to the table without offering some degenerate price over asking and bridging whatever gap appears in appraisal out of pocket. When I told my lender that this was common in the market here she said, and I quote, "that's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard".

My main draw to buy was just to build equity in something. Worst case I just resign my apartment lease and keep on keeping on, since its not like my current house is selling and I need to find something NOW or I'm hosed.

I assume she didn't have any insight on when the market would cool down, eh? :v:

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Zarin posted:

I assume she didn't have any insight on when the market would cool down, eh? :v:

Oh of course not. I just hope it actually does and this isn't just the way its going to be going forward.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

This isn't a counterpoint, this is literally my loving point.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: Being the closest civilization to somewhere cool is a positive. And deriding Raleigh for being 2 hours from the beach as "People refer to Raleigh by how many hours it take to get somewhere cool" shouldn't be a ding on Raleigh.

GEMorris posted:

Buddy I moved here in 2003 and am from NC so while I'm not a Raleigh native I'm sure as gently caress closer than 90% of the folks here. There has *never* been anything to do in Raleigh. It is simply the overlap in a venn diagram of: tech jobs, cheap housing, and humidity. Or at least it was until about a year ago when it moved into just the overlap between tech jobs and humidity.
What are you looking to do that you can't do in Raleigh, out of curiosity?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Dik Hz posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: Being the closest civilization to somewhere cool is a positive. And deriding Raleigh for being 2 hours from the beach as "People refer to Raleigh by how many hours it take to get somewhere cool" shouldn't be a ding on Raleigh.

What are you looking to do that you can't do in Raleigh, out of curiosity?

Good museums (NCMA is ok, not much else tho).
Any kind of geographical feature or point of interest at all.
Not be overwhelmed by humidity and mosquitos from May through October
Any kind of restaurant or store culture that isn't just banal chalkboard instagram facimilies from every other place.

Raleigh isn't a real city, this was fine when it was a value proposition but it isn't that anymore either.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

SchnorkIes posted:

No it's not.

SchnorkIes posted:

Edit 2: is cash gift a big thing in Raleigh yet?
if I had a house right now I'd put it up for sale with a 5% fee just to make an offer, pocket all of that, and not take any offers,

No one's doing this either. Where are you even getting this stuff?

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm just bitter that I need the investment performance, no stock is going to give me 30% and have that be a bad year
Every homeowner friend I have has made more in appreciation than salary lol.

Pretending the best year ever for real estate, with a global pandemic driving weird levels of demand and no inventory, is a "bad year" is just stupid.

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm a merchant seaman, I make like 150-200k,
Edit: 200-300k being lower lower middle class is just something I need to learn to live with.

This is where it just gets offensive. 150-200k isn't "falling out of the middle class," let alone 200-300k which is top 2%.

Hutla posted:

Get some therapy for your anxiety

seconding.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

jaffyjaffy posted:

Oh of course not. I just hope it actually does and this isn't just the way its going to be going forward.

I wish that would happen in Seattle but at best it’s probably going to slow down at best and maybe instead of selling a house in 1-2 days before offer review date it might be more common on the date. Microsoft is hiring like crazy, Amazon is hiring 25k people and building more towers in the east side. It’s just going to get more crazy unless they start building more houses.

My wife and I went and toured Snoqualmie area and a guy on the street in a nice neighborhood said that the house we were eyeing already sold, 2 days on the market.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

SchnorkIes posted:

I'm priced out but my wife won't let us move.

Edit: genuinely stressed if I'll be able to do my job safely for 4 months at sea knowing I'm plummeting out of the middle class for her sentimentality about living near friends and family. I only sleep a few hours a night and we fight about it constantly but she won't believe stories like yours and thinks we will be able to buy something.

You should be able to save a pretty solid downpayment making 200k a year. And with that income you're really not "plummeting" anywhere.

The market is pretty wild in some areas, but you also seem to be getting pretty bad information from somewhere. 30% being a bad year? C'mon man, you need some perspective.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

Any kind of restaurant or store culture that isn't just banal chalkboard instagram facimilies from every other place.

Raleigh isn't a real city, this was fine when it was a value proposition but it isn't that anymore either.
I'm dying to hear your list of real cities, given that list of complaints.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

GEMorris posted:

Grass is always greener, etc. I live a few miles outside of DC and I think Raleigh is an awesome city (my wife grew up there). I would love to raise my family there - which is what I'm guessing so many other people like about it. If my job wasn't so specific to the Federal government I would move to Raleigh in a heartbeat. It's definitely on the sleepier side of things but I think that is the allure for lots of people.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Hutla posted:

I think you’re a loving monster for having a job where you’re away for half of the year and demanding that your wife leave her entire support system of family and friends just so you can own a house. She would be utterly alone for 6 months out of the year. If she was a real life friend of mine, I’d be warning her heavily off and sending her abuse questionnaires

I mean this is why I'm staying there but I'm worried that within a few years of 10% quarterly home price growth we'll have to leave either way. Isn't it better to get ahead of it in order to stop pissing away money on rent and enjoy the highest performing non crypto asset class we've ever seen?

poll plane variant fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SchnorkIes posted:

I mean this is why I'm staying there but I'm worried that within a few years of 10% quarterly home price growth we'll have to leave either way.

If you are so sure prices will rise this much and are sure you are staying, then now is the time to buy (or in 6 months when you get back from being a Maersk captain or first officer or whatever it is that you do). What's there to complain about?

Yes, reduced cash flow from a high mortgage will suck, but if you are so sure prices will rise then you are doing Future You a big favor. Plus you are making 150-200k... is your cash flow really going to be that restricted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Inner Light posted:

If you are so sure prices will rise this much and are sure you are staying, then now is the time to buy (or in 6 months when you get back from being a Maersk captain or first officer or whatever it is that you do). What's there to complain about?

Yes, reduced cash flow from a high mortgage will suck, but if you are so sure prices will rise then you are doing Future You a big favor. Plus you are making 150-200k... is your cash flow really going to be that restricted?

I lost a lot of money during the pandemic due to emergency expenses and don't have the cash to cover the DD and appraisal gap and straight up baksheesh on top of a down payment. Afaik these days I'd need easily 200k cash to buy something that lists at 500k and I'm just nowhere close. I think the plan right now is buy a townhouse to stop the bleeding, but they aren't seeing the same appreciation.

Cash flow will be fine but I'm worried I'll get priced out entirely while I'm rebuilding my savings.

PS thanks BFC for telling people to have a good sized emergency fund, I'm talking about comparative asset performance instead of living in a cardboard box, after an utterly hosed year.