Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GenericServices posted:

Kind of a mutual torment thing, really. If the bouncy goon stops pumping those jump jets for even a few seconds to rest aching legs, a relentless Mackie strikes for the kill! And thus do they circle, forever doomed to the dance of a cruel, cruel Union.

It would basically be heaven for a Death Commando. Trolling an enemy commander with dishonorable combat, forever. Or at least until he goes insane and throws himself off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zaodai posted:

It's just like that guy who was punished by being eternally thirsty locked in a room of neck deep water, which would recede every time he tried to take a drink. "I'll finish off this Clan bastard and- ANOTHER loving DROPSHIP BLOCKING MY SHOT?!".

Tantalus, from who we get the word "tantalize." :eng101:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd have to GM's judgement that into a player loss.

A kiting 'Mech is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for players to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it’s often much harder on PTN than on the Goonlance. However, I also know that it doesn’t necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. Goons can move past it, and ruin everything.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

A player loss?

Yes, because I am a harsh taskmaster and don't think the thread would enjoy watching someone play jump-jet-keepaway with a `Mech too damaged to even trade a shot every now and then.

Even if that is the case, running away isn't the correct solution when you always win initiative.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 18, 2013

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, because I am a harsh taskmaster and don't think the thread would enjoy watching someone play jump-jet-keepaway with a `Mech too damaged to even trade a shot every now and then.

Even if that is the case, running away isn't the correct solution when you always win initiative. Fortunately, T.G. Xarbala knows what he's doing so if it comes down to a 1v1 deathmatch I think the thread may be in for a real treat.

Assuming he lives that long.

I admit I'm the worst at Battletech (I spent almost all of my game failing consciousnesses rolls) but it seems to me like the odds of Goonlance'n'friends getting stopped here is pretty low? I mean the enemy is down to less than 1/3'rd of its strength, while the DC/HH forces are still pretty much all around and kicking?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

I admit I'm the worst at Battletech (I spent almost all of my game failing consciousnesses rolls) but it seems to me like the odds of Goonlance'n'friends getting stopped here is pretty low? I mean the enemy is down to less than 1/3'rd of its strength, while the DC/HH forces are still pretty much all around and kicking?

The enemy is down to less than 1/3 of its total forces, but that command lance is still fresh with full ammo and armor.

Conversely, Goonstar and Goonlance have been put through the wringer this whole fight, and Xarbala aside, most of them are pretty beat up by this point, not to mention running low on ammo.

So it's actually pretty much anyone's game at this point. :ohdear:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Gothsheep posted:

The problem is damage and armour. Goonstarlance had been through the wringer, the boss fight command lance is near-mint condition. It won't take too much more fire to strip weapons and wreck mechs, but even a crippled mech with one gun is still a threat. However, Steve is fast, agile and heavily armed, and his player knows how to use that to optimum effect. 'clan jumpymech bullshit' can be a very effective strategy even against ostensibly superior mechs.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

To say nothing of the fact that Battletech Happens. Take for example, the Atlas. It got it's leg blown off a while ago. Had that not happened, that thing could easily have taken at least one or two more mechs out, or alternatively saved one or two by being able to soak more torso hits. It might even be alive now had that crit not been a 12.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If the bulk of a `Mech's firepower has a maximum range of 9 hexes, I have a max range of 12, and can jump as fast (or faster) than the other guy can run in a straight line, then I wouldn't need to play Forever-Keep-Away to win.

I'd just get headcapped by an HPPC, is all.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What he means by "Battletech Happens" is that the first hit Steve takes will be a Heavy PPC through the cockpit.

Edit: drat, that was quick.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Edit: drat, that was quick.

It's just a possibility probability that's been on my mind for a rather long IRL period of time. We've been doing this scenario for the better part of a season, if I'm not mistaken.

That said, orders in a bit early. No contingency orders because I don't have LOS to anybody besides the guy I'm shooting at.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's just a possibility probability that's been on my mind for a rather long IRL period of time. We've been doing this scenario for the better part of a season, if I'm not mistaken.

That said, orders in a bit early.

Heh, this campaign started in mid-July of 2012. As far as instant-kill possibilities, another one would be a Heavy PPC TACing your CT with a double gyro crit or triple engine crit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

Heh, this campaign started in mid-July of 2012.

How time flies. :psyduck:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm honestly still amazed that the number of Davion headchoppers on the field haven't managed to cap anybody (yet).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I'm honestly still amazed that the number of Davion headchoppers on the field haven't managed to cap anybody (yet).

Don't let PTN's dice hear you :ssh:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Don't let PTN's dice hear you :ssh:

They hear everything. Know everything.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
VVV They will know true terror eventually.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 19, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Stop warning people about those! :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm amazed none of the Clanners have commented on the Mackie even being fielded yet (unless I missed it, I read most of the updates at work). It'd be like having someone show up to a fight in a WWI era tank except it suddenly has the most advanced weaponry and fire control systems known to man on it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Zaodai posted:

I'm amazed none of the Clanners have commented on the Mackie even being fielded yet (unless I missed it, I read most of the updates at work). It'd be like having someone show up to a fight in a WWI era tank except it suddenly has the most advanced weaponry and fire control systems known to man on it.

They are all in mute awe. I imagine the only thing that would be more bananas is if the Inner Sphere surats decided to field an Atlas II.

...Now I know what to create in the first mech contest after the LB/10 becomes available. I will restore all the forgotten classics.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

I'm amazed none of the Clanners have commented on the Mackie even being fielded yet (unless I missed it, I read most of the updates at work).

Nope, none of the Clanners or Death Commandos have made any remarks on the Mackie yet. Guessing that's going to change soon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GhostStalker posted:

Nope, none of the Clanners or Death Commandos have made any remarks on the Mackie yet. Guessing that's going to change soon.

Well, the Death Commandos probably shouldn't have much knowledge on it. But the Mackie is something that should be known to the Star League, and by extension the Clans. At the very least you would think it would seem out of place to them, either as an ancient relic or as something that belongs to them by right.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think what we're all really wondering is where this incarnation of the Mackie mounts it HPPC.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Everything I know about battletech I've learned from this thread and from playing the demo of MWII once when I was a kid. I actually rather enjoy these rare moments where people don't comment on something and I get to be surprised when something crazy is deployed.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Zaodai posted:

It's just like that guy who was punished by being eternally thirsty locked in a room of neck deep water, which would recede every time he tried to take a drink. "I'll finish off this Clan bastard and- ANOTHER loving DROPSHIP BLOCKING MY SHOT?!".

Is that a variation of the Hell of the Upside Down Sinners? You Chinese have a lot of hells.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Telamon posted:

Is that a variation of the Hell of the Upside Down Sinners? You Chinese have a lot of hells.

Greek, not Chinese.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Telamon posted:

Greek, and just to be clear that kind of stuff was only for people who REALLY deserved it.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Is there some script in Megamek's testbot AI that makes it seek out high places? The reason I'm asking is because the AI is sticking its mechs on Height 20 pillars. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They prioritize line of sight. Height 20 is great for that.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I'm a little more surprised that the Kestrels haven't noticed they are fighting a company of Death Commandos. Granted, there probably isn't much black paint and white skull left on those chassis, but I'd wager Hanse's boys would be even more likely to recognize the Chancellor's top babykillers than the Clanners would recognize (or deign it worthy of commenting on) a heavily modified Mackie. Hell, every Inner Sphere mech they fought so far is a museum piece by their standards, what is one more?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Servicio en Espanol posted:

I'm a little more surprised that the Kestrels haven't noticed they are fighting a company of Death Commandos. Granted, there probably isn't much black paint and white skull left on those chassis, but I'd wager Hanse's boys would be even more likely to recognize the Chancellor's top babykillers than the Clanners would recognize (or deign it worthy of commenting on) a heavily modified Mackie. Hell, every Inner Sphere mech they fought so far is a museum piece by their standards, what is one more?
Weren't the Death Commandos originally supposed to have come here posing as Kestrel Grenadiers?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sgt. Geoffrey Barnes has returned on The Mittani, talking about the Trebuchet. If anyone's interested.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JT Jag posted:

Weren't the Death Commandos originally supposed to have come here posing as Kestrel Grenadiers?

They did, but in unmarked mechs I think. They basically showed up and said "We're the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers" and the Clans, having no idea who that is or any reason to care, just said "Ok, sure. Let's fight!"

With the Davion commander not knowing what to expect from the Clans besides an rear end kicking, any mechs that were painted up black would likely not stand out. It isn't like black is a particularly uncommon color, and this is pretty far away from Capellan space.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Hell's Horses garrison galaxy's `Mechs are flat black with flames on `em, so it's likely the Draconis Suns won't know the difference unless the players lose.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

GhostStalker posted:

A custom retrofitted Mackie was baby's first assault mech, way back in the mid 90's as a gawky teenager. I had more headcaps with the AC/20 I had fitted to it than should have been legal. Fear the Mackie.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Talmonis posted:

A custom retrofitted Mackie was baby's first assault mech, way back in the mid 90's as a gawky teenager. I had more headcaps with the AC/20 I had fitted to it than should have been legal. Fear the Mackie.

I would have never used the doofy looking Mackie as my Mary Sue commander's custom 'mech back when I was twelve. Mine was a Star League era dual Gauss Atlas called the Raigeki, named such because it cleared the field of enemies.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

fool_of_sound posted:

I would have never used the doofy looking Mackie as my Mary Sue commander's custom 'mech back when I was twelve. Mine was a Star League era dual Gauss Atlas called the Raigeki, named such because it cleared the field of enemies.

It was a Merc campaign with some friends. We found a cache of lostech with a Mackie inside and pumped a silly amount of C-bills into it. God I loved that mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still short some orders

Edit: Also, corrected an issue with the Cougar's range last turn.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 21, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Just sent mine in; didn't realize it was time yet. Not that my move this turn is horribly complicated.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

Just sent mine in; didn't realize it was time yet. Not that my move this turn is horribly complicated.

Same! Here's hoping my mech holds together yet another turn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
My bad! Orders in now. Execute Operation: Hide Behind a Rock. :smith:
Maybe next turn.

• Locked thread