Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

djfooboo posted:

Vortex at KI was my jam, but if they ever disassemble The Beast I will cut them.

People would boycott the whole park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

skooma512 posted:

Got a used HyperX headphone AMP.

I mean... I guess it sounds better? I have a Sony MDR-V6 for headphones so it probably needs a boost, especially since I have a 3.5 extension from my computer anyway, for speakers, my guitar amp, or these headphones.

The media controls are neat, but I have media keys mapped to my mouse and a whole row on my keyboard, so I'm kinda good on that. The virtual 7.1 sounds good.

Idk, it kind of seems like bullshit? I tried explaining to my GF what it is, she was confused, and I can't say I really blame her. Still not sure what the value add is over just plugging into the Realtek sound card on the motherboard. Though I got it used for 15 bucks, so even if it's snake oily, I'd say that's worth a 7.1 mode, some buttons, and have two different outputs.

Pretty simple. Headphone Amps make headphones louder. Dunno about that thing you bought, but it looks like a gamer dongle designer to turn stereo cans into 7.1 specifically for directional sound. Doubtful that it's going to make things sound better intentionally.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

oddhair posted:

Pixel 5

Tim Whatley posted:

Let us know if you dig it. I have a 3XL and am sort of thinking about going for a 5 because I have Google Fi and thus could have 5G.

I'm a little biased, as I've now had the Pixel 2 for a year (from launch), then got the 3XL 64 GB (pre-order), held onto it for two years 'cuz gently caress face unlock, and though I was already planning on getting the Pixel 5 if the fingerprint reader came back, I went ahead and got the Pixel 4A as well to see how the A models are. Also using Fi as my carrier.

A few things:
Camera has allegedly not actually changed hardware much since the 2, so camera is still stellar but with no Neural processor the more post-process-heavy stuff is a bit slower but it wasn't like instantaneous on any previous model. (I loved selling my Pixel 2 to a friend who was tired of $70 specials and then having Night Sight added to his phone and mine after the fact.)
3XL had some obvious RAM limitations, e.g. I'd see a link tweet on the Awful mobile app, click on it, like the content, copy address, switch to Hangouts to share it with someone else, and when I switch back to the Awful app it's scrolled back up to wherever I started reading the page, like it was unloaded. the 4A and 5 both have >4GB of RAM, so while they're not as high-spec as before, the added RAM seems to ameliorate this behavior enough that I haven't noticed it.
4A regular-rear end is a perfectly fine phone but the battery seemed to run down faster than on my 2-year-old 3XL, though I did copy everything over, and we use Outlook/Teams for work which can be extra demanding. I chalked it up to my observation bias/lower tier processor not having the power saving options of higher spec, etc.
4A 5G is bigger than Pixel 5, somehow, and would probably be fine as well at $500 if you want 5G and don't need the newest model or simply want the bigger screen.
5 is my jam because I love un-skinned Android (calling it vanilla is a disservice to vanillin do not @ me), and didn't know how much I'd miss the waterproofing. Also, the Al case feels nicer/heftier/more premium in the hand, and wireless charging is something I've moved away from now that PowerDelivery is on the scene but I got a Qi 2.0 charging stand anyway since I already use Anker 5- and 6- port chargers and have spare capacity.
Final thought: first phone I believe I've ever owned with >4,000 mAh battery capacity. It is only a week old but battery capacity is simply insane, like still 100% an hour after leaving the charger, though I use my laptop/desktops (home/office) for most things, anyway, to be fair.)

The specifically bad, to be honest: I don't use my stereo speakers to play music, but the top one being behind the glass isn't great quality-wise.

Tl, dr: if you're cool with the slight limitations and already like Pixel it's a no-brainer.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Think you sold me on it. Gonna wait to see if it gets a similar Black Friday drop that the 3 did. Thx!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My Pixel 3 is from launch and the battery is poo poo and it restarts on its own kind of a lot.

drat you for making me want a 5 when I need to save for a PC upgrade.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Here's some of the vinyls. They usually don't stay on sale for long:
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=popular&rh=p_32%3AChillhop+Music

Unless they changed it, your best bet for Chillhop vinyl is jumping on their qrates pre-order. Don't think they operate an Amazon shop so anything you get there is gonna be marked up.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Jeza posted:

Pretty simple. Headphone Amps make headphones louder. Dunno about that thing you bought, but it looks like a gamer dongle designer to turn stereo cans into 7.1 specifically for directional sound. Doubtful that it's going to make things sound better intentionally.

Agree with all this, plus the Sony V6’s are pretty easy to drive, so probably won’t benefit from an amp very much (especially that one!).

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

drat you for making me want a 5 when I need to save for a PC upgrade.

The Pixel 5 *is* a PC upgrade. :smug:

colas has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Nov 13, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought a piece of a roller coaster that was an important part of my childhood. I bought it as soon as it appeared on the store and when I went back to the page it had sold out. I have no idea how I pulled that off

:aaaaa:

Vortex was my first real coaster! What a bummer I missed that

djfooboo posted:

Vortex at KI was my jam, but if they ever disassemble The Beast I will cut them.

I got so ridiculously injured on the son of beast... I was glad tp see that one go. Even the beast just rattles my teeth out. That new wooden one though, Mystic Timbers, is my absolute favorite

Inspector 34 posted:

Mini Museums has some really cool stuff!

It’s so hard to restrain myself from going nuts there, too much neat stuff. Where else you going to find a sample of medieval chain mail or mummy beads?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

frogbs posted:

Agree with all this, plus the Sony V6’s are pretty easy to drive, so probably won’t benefit from an amp very much (especially that one!).

Yeah the impedance on the V6 is like 62 ohms, which I understand to be within reach of a standard mobo sound chip.

Oh well. If I ever get headphones that require an amp I'm ready. I wouldn't have got it at all, but for Amazon offering it used, probably returned by someone else who was confused as to its use case.

I'll hang on to it because eh, it's still kinda neat and having something in the middle of the chain to clean up the signal isn't the worst thing. I pipe audio to my AUX in my guitar amp when I jam along in my headphones and sometimes the long cable run picks up noise.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I would like to thank whoever last posted about Glerups in this thread - went through a bit of rigmarole to get the right size, but now that cold weather has hit and my feet are consistently warm without getting sweaty, I am incredibly thankful

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

Unless they changed it, your best bet for Chillhop vinyl is jumping on their qrates pre-order. Don't think they operate an Amazon shop so anything you get there is gonna be marked up.

They run an actual storefront now! https://shop.chillhop.com/ is where I’ve been getting the compilations for the past year or two.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

They run an actual storefront now! https://shop.chillhop.com/ is where I’ve been getting the compilations for the past year or two.

If you're missing any of the old ones I should have a box of anything with Brock on it somewhere.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I bought a new dining room table, place mats, and napkins that will all likely show up a day or two after I host a COVID Party Thanksgiving (just my brother and his girlfriend), buuuuut look I didn't even know I wanted a new table until this weekend so please stop yelling at me.

The West Elm catalog is slowly taking over my whole house.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

That's not a napkin, that's a loving work of art.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

colas posted:

That's not a napkin, that's a loving work of art.

Yeah I love that. drat.

But what are the care instructions? I have kids here, so my joy for white-based table items is tempered.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Nov 17, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got the big foldy phone

and some warm tone paper as well as other darkroom gear, for making prints

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Megabound posted:

and some warm tone paper as well as other darkroom gear, for making prints

Matte and fiber-base. That's some classy-rear end paper.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I found the ultimate christmas sweater.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless

Argyle posted:

Glerups loving rule. I don't remember if I heard about them in here or in the product recommendation thread, but for the first time in my life I can wear slippers without my feet getting sweaty and gross. Super breathable but still plenty warm. Worth every penny.

My cheap slippers from last year fell apart on me the day before I saw this post. As someone who has a hard limit of $75 for shoes, there was no way I was going to spend $100 on slippers, but all of the praise in this thread won me over. I've only had them for three days and I'm already recommending them to people. Comfy, warm, breathable. If you're after slippers, holy poo poo, get these!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ordered like 2 months ago but came in today.

Same

Got my EVGA queue email today after two months as well just to further make bad decisions from the past. :homebrew:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I got one of these, but without a huge gross bulge for the disk drive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

How else are you gonna enjoy your 4K HDR movies?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Slimy Hog posted:

Bad take imo

Physical media forever

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I just bought some kidney stone removal with stent placement!

Wooooo!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bad take imo

Physical media forever

For current consoles? Absolutely, I've got a nice ikea display thing for games, which is nice because sometimes I'll randomly see something and wanna play it again. For switch? Nah, I've gone 100% virtual on that, which I hate as it has some of the best game releases of the whole last gen. Really not sure which direction I'll go whenever I migrate to the next gen consoles :ohdear:

Coca Koala posted:

They run an actual storefront now! https://shop.chillhop.com/ is where I've been getting the compilations for the past year or two.

Very cool! Bought Tales of a flowering forest and Winter 2019... hoping it'll get here in time to spin while putting up decorations :3:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bad take imo

Physical media forever
Agreed

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't really give a poo poo about 4K blu-ray but do love physical media... then I found out that PS4 can remote play PS5. Now I can't decide if I should get the digital edition and keep my PS4 for discs and multi-room play.

Thankfully, the choice has been removed from me for a while once all the bots and resellers hoard consoles. Don't pay above MSRP, friends.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm getting physical because i still have a shitload of ps4 discs i haven't played yet

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought the disc version largely for 4K blu rays, yeah. Pretty much all my PS4 games are digital.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Physical for me, cause a: there's always the chance I wanna sell a game later, and b: I'm pretty near a lot of places that have poo poo for broadband and if I end up having to move, I am hosed if I am digital only. Lucky to get dialup speeds on dsl at my mom's house, forget trying to download a 50 or 80gb game, or stream a 4k (or any actual) movie.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Got the PS4 version because I didn't want to wait until I could eventual buy a PS5, if I even wanted a PS5. So far I've only played one game on PS4 before this.....Spider-Man :haw:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna get the disk drive one because it's an extra hundred bucks and I'd rather have the option and not use it than need it and not have it. Like a condom. The PS5 media drive is like a condom for my TV.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't buy physical games and if I ever buy a movie or whatever it immediately goes onto my Plex server; might as well save $100 now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got a set of lockpicks from Sparrows. I've been using paperclips and flathead screwdrivers for years, so I might as well invest in quality tools.

My hand hurts from practicing, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Rotating the tumbler is what's getting me, I put way too much force on it.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

My hand hurts from practicing, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Rotating the tumbler is what's getting me, I put way too much force on it.

Did you get training locks or random master locks etc? I got one of the practice locks and I still have problems even when I can see the pins. It's almost like luck if I can get the trouble pins out of the way.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

skooma512 posted:

Got a set of lockpicks from Sparrows. I've been using paperclips and flathead screwdrivers for years, so I might as well invest in quality tools.

I personally would recommend using the far-right pick in that set. Also I'd strongly recommend against using the tension wrenches with the twist in them. The fact that they flex makes it really hard to control the amount of tension you put on the core.

There's definitely multiple trains of thought on how much tension to apply, but personally I find that it's best to use heavy tension, and lighten up when you're on the pin that's binding. Basically, you want to apply heavy tension until you find the pin that's binding, and then carefully let up tension until you can actually move the pin smoothly without it "popping" when it slips free. That's really the big reason why I don't like the tension wrenches that flex. If you use light tension, it can be hard to tell which pin is binding, but if you use heavy tension you have to let up tension until the pin will move—but, with the flex wrenches, when you get close, the force you put on the pin with the pick will allow the tension wrench to flex enough to let the pin pop, which can make it hard to tell apart from the click of the pin actually being set (and it only gets worse when you get into security pins).

Also, if you're trying to pick random padlocks or whatever, sometimes there's not much room in the keyway to get the pick in under the pins, which makes things harder in general. It can sometimes be better to apply tension from the top of the keyway, which is easier with this type of prybar rather than any of those tension wrenches.

Lockpicking is fun, though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Since I now live with an actual woman, having huge floorstanding speakers in the living room isn't the best option any more. I was planning to buy myself a Bowers & Wilkins surround system for my 40th birthday, but suddenly a KEF KHT3005SE system showed up in the classifieds. The police recommended everyone stay home due to the dark stormy rainy weather last night, so I drove 40 miles each way to pick it up. Saved me $1600 compared to what I had planned to spend on the B&W.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Phthisis posted:

I personally would recommend using the far-right pick in that set. Also I'd strongly recommend against using the tension wrenches with the twist in them. The fact that they flex makes it really hard to control the amount of tension you put on the core.

There's definitely multiple trains of thought on how much tension to apply, but personally I find that it's best to use heavy tension, and lighten up when you're on the pin that's binding. Basically, you want to apply heavy tension until you find the pin that's binding, and then carefully let up tension until you can actually move the pin smoothly without it "popping" when it slips free. That's really the big reason why I don't like the tension wrenches that flex. If you use light tension, it can be hard to tell which pin is binding, but if you use heavy tension you have to let up tension until the pin will move—but, with the flex wrenches, when you get close, the force you put on the pin with the pick will allow the tension wrench to flex enough to let the pin pop, which can make it hard to tell apart from the click of the pin actually being set (and it only gets worse when you get into security pins).

Also, if you're trying to pick random padlocks or whatever, sometimes there's not much room in the keyway to get the pick in under the pins, which makes things harder in general. It can sometimes be better to apply tension from the top of the keyway, which is easier with this type of prybar rather than any of those tension wrenches.

Lockpicking is fun, though.

You're right, I've definitely had more consistent performance with just the plain ol pick and the flat wrenches.

sterster posted:

Did you get training locks or random master locks etc? I got one of the practice locks and I still have problems even when I can see the pins. It's almost like luck if I can get the trouble pins out of the way.

Nope but I kind of wish I did. I've been picking a Master combo lock that has a bypass key, and the cable lock that came with my pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

If you're missing any of the old ones I should have a box of anything with Brock on it somewhere.

Ah, nice! I try to limit my chillhop collecting to the essentials collections because otherwise I'll just run out of space too fast, but if you have Spring 2017 or or Summer/Fall/Winter 2016, let me know if we can work out a deal!