Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

virmintide is the messiest, visually most bloated game ive ever played and i just dont see why it should exist when left for dead is there, which is far easier to follow and probably more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

virmintide is the messiest, visually most bloated game ive ever played and i just dont see why it should exist when left for dead is there, which is far easier to follow and probably more fun

left for dead was a great game to emulate a zombie apocalypse, especially in a place where firearms aren't ready available and everyone has resorted to defending themselves with airsoft guns

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

d3lness posted:

On a game note, I'm happy EO: mystery dungeon 2 didn't come to the US. I just tried getting into 1 yet again and boy howdy does mystery dungeon combat not work with EO. Especially when you have to fight in a hallway and the back AI just decides to take a vacation. Oh, manually controlling your party of 4 would fix that? To bad it uses your burst because reasons!

Yeah that was one of those games that sounded great on paper but like 8 minutes in you realize you'd be having much more fun either playing a real EO-style dungeon crawler or a proper Mystery Dungeon style roguelike. The way they mashed them together feels like a weird romhack.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im from a gunfree society so i cant really tell the difference tbh

guns should just obey gameplay necessity. in l4d it's okay that some enemies are spongy because it's supposed to be this massive horde you're fighting. in a regular fps i want the shotgun to have whatever the most satisfying sound effect is with some ridiculous spread but very high point blank damage, because that's cool. pistols should also all make a BLAM BLAM BLAM sound

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

im from a gunfree society so i cant really tell the difference tbh

guns should just obey gameplay necessity. in l4d it's okay that some enemies are spongy because it's supposed to be this massive horde you're fighting. in a regular fps i want the shotgun to have whatever the most satisfying sound effect is with some ridiculous spread but very high point blank damage, because that's cool. pistols should also all make a BLAM BLAM BLAM sound

oh well me too man I'm from Scotland but the guns in L4D just felt a bit too weak to me, never did play the second one

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PinheadSlim posted:

While this is true, you can see the beginnings of the "one way to complete a mission" bullshit in some of the lazier missions in GTA:SA

Like the one where OG Loc wants you to chase down his boyfriend from prison so no one will find out he's gay. Loc clearly just wants to kill this guy, but your bullets do no damage to him until after you chase him all over town and he stops. Also while you're chasing him it doesn't really matter how fast you go because he will always go a little faster, and if you go kind of slow he will actually stop and wait for you at certain points.

Most missions aren't like that but still I loving hate that mission.

Possibly the worst mission in the series, not counting some of the RC missions in SF that are more busted because of their control limitations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

!Klams posted:

One of my friends is 'not a gamer', like he doesn't get on with computer games, but he's always kind of into the 'idea' of playing them, he obviously enjoys the power fantasy of it, and he's super into cutscenes, and lore etc, he just didn't really grow up with it much, so he's not very skilled at it and has zero interest in losing at a game. So, now and then something will come along that I think might tickle his fancy, and I try and rope him in coz it's fun to play with him.

Vermintide 2 seemed perfect, he loves all the GW fluff, it's brainless enough that he wouldn't get confused, and it's co-op so if it gets hard ever, me and my wife can pick up the slack. The problem? It was too brainless. For him. Like, literally the whole game is walking forward and clicking on the same enemy thousands of times. Sometimes a special gets someone and you have to divert from holding W to move towards them. The maps are loving gorgeous, but there's so little interaction with them they rarely come alive, none of anything you can equip makes a drat difference, and there aren't really any cosmetics? Once you've finished two or three levels, you've seen literally everything in the game, which would be fine if the gameplay was anything?

So, obviously, this is all because we're on too low a difficulty. The problem is that turning up the difficulty is the same game, except now he dies a bunch. That isn't more fun? I get that, yeah, it means you have to be more tactical, but given that he's not going to, it just turns it from 'so trivial as to be boring' to 'too difficult to be fun'. Which would be completely fine, I don't think the game owes him a fun time if he's bad at it, except that the developers massively dumbed everything down, in a concession to this?

At least in Left 4 Dead you could play as the zombies.

He's got the right idea- play games to your own satisfaction, no more and no less. A lot of games are really bad about this and basically try to hide it with smoke and mirrors. (of course, good game design is also smoke and mirrors, but used better)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Possibly the worst mission in the series, not counting some of the RC missions in SF that are more busted because of their control limitations.

The rhythm mini-game missions are pretty bad on San Andreas when played on the PC. Porting the game to PC screwed up the timing, so if you actually tap the buttons to the rhythm of the music, you'll fail the missions every time. For one of them, the game confuses the up button and the down button, so you have to remap them backwards to be able follow the instructions on the screen and get the taps to register.

The Zero missions weren't that bad on the PC version. Maybe they fixed them? I remember the one where you had to blow up the courier vans and dirt bikers was difficult on PS2.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Wizard posted:

age of sigmar has the potential to be warhammer planescape which is Fairly loving Sick in my humble opinion. will it be? time will tell

you can play D&D miniatures like a war game. its actually works quite well

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Snackula posted:

Yeah that was one of those games that sounded great on paper but like 8 minutes in you realize you'd be having much more fun either playing a real EO-style dungeon crawler or a proper Mystery Dungeon style roguelike. The way they mashed them together feels like a weird romhack.

That's basically what I did. I ended picking Chocobo MD back up and I'm having a blast with it. I've finally started to enjoy rougelikes because I stopped giving a poo poo about dying. Mind you that my first game in the genre was Dungeons of Dreadmore and that game set the bar fairly high.

In regards to Vermintide 2, it's a great game to hang out with my friends for a few hours and shoot the poo poo. That's the reason I'm so pissed with the newest expansion. It's not a super complex game, but beating the piss out of my favorite WH faction with meaty thuds and squelches is uniquely satisfying. I also looked up the new class + it's separate cosmetic bundle. What the loving piss Fatshark.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Back then you were expected to read the manual, take notes and share tips with your friends.

no back then you were expected to buy Nintendo Power or call the $5/min tips line

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

The rhythm mini-game missions are pretty bad on San Andreas when played on the PC. Porting the game to PC screwed up the timing, so if you actually tap the buttons to the rhythm of the music, you'll fail the missions every time. For one of them, the game confuses the up button and the down button, so you have to remap them backwards to be able follow the instructions on the screen and get the taps to register.

The Zero missions weren't that bad on the PC version. Maybe they fixed them? I remember the one where you had to blow up the courier vans and dirt bikers was difficult on PS2.

The PC version came with the Zero missions already patched with the updated fuel system, I think. If they didn’t the patch was available right away.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Muscle Wizard posted:

more needlessly aggressive poo poo

So in summary almost everything I said was right, and you're just pissy for some reason

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Red Dead Redemption 2 is really boring and the controls are clunky.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Devil posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is really boring and the controls are clunky.

but the horse balls are unparalleled

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want an action cowboy game, not an rpg, where you have bullet time and your cowboy is heavily sexualized and can jump around and do somersaults off the saloon, like bayonetta but in the old west

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

i want an action cowboy game, not an rpg, where you have bullet time and your cowboy is heavily sexualized and can jump around and do somersaults off the saloon, like bayonetta but in the old west

Chaps are assless, you have a lot of the lifting on the “heavily sexualized” done for you already.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Call of Juarez is pretty close?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

no back then you were expected to buy Nintendo Power or call the $5/min tips line

Or buy the guidebook. IIRC, Sierra games would start telling you to buy their guide when you died. Point and click was, is, and always will be the worst genre of game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Call of Juarez is pretty close?

i forgot about that game, i own it, but it was just a bland ubi shooter, but yeah i guess its action cowboy...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

your cowboy speaks japanese for some reason although the other characters all speak english

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

your cowboy speaks japanese for some reason although the other characters all speak english

I can't remember which one but one of the CoJ games is really good.

E: Gunslinger

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

but in call of juarez your cowboy doesnt fight a pistol duel by dodging all of your opponents bullets in an elaborate dance and then fires his shot by bending over and doing a "peek a boo" through his own legs, like in the game im imagining right now

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I can't remember which one but one of the CoJ games is really good.

E: Gunslinger

All but one of the CoJ games are good (the Cartel blows so bad they don’t sell it anymore) but Gunslinger is excellent.
The first one is good, Bound in Blood is really loving good, but Gunslinger sets out to do one thing and executes it perfectly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

So in summary almost everything I said was right, and you're just pissy for some reason

You're the kind of poster who drove veni away!

You monster!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

Red Steel 2 was an extremely cowboy samurai game iirc

Also Mortal Kombat has a cowboy now

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Red Dead Revolver is still the best Red Dead game, and the Redemption games do not deserve to share a title with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Red Dead Revolver is still the best Red Dead game, and the Redemption games do not deserve to share a title with it.

They are totally unalike and Red Dead Revolver is amazing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's come up a few times in this thread but i watched the super mario bros. movie again this weekend and it still owns, gently caress the haters

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
who hates the super mario bros movie? anyone that is even away of its existence must like it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

This reminded me of my favourite ps1 game.

RISING ZAAAAAA-AAAAN, SAMURAI GUNMAN!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

it's come up a few times in this thread but i watched the super mario bros. movie again this weekend and it still owns, gently caress the haters

The Street Fighter movie is still the best thing in the Street Fighter franchise, and I really don't know what else people expected from it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rutibex posted:

who hates the super mario bros movie? anyone that is even away of its existence must like it

Bob Hoskins going 'Monkey!' is literally the "Marilyn on the steam grate" of 1990s Cinema: there is simply no moment more iconic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

The Street Fighter movie is still the best thing in the Street Fighter franchise, and I really don't know what else people expected from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7c8QghPxk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Someone mentioned it is one of the more profitable things Capcom has ever made and a large part of why they were totally fine with the Resident Evil movies. The film made more than twice its budget back in theaters and on home theaters/cable syndication Capcom has racked up over $165 million since it came out.

I really enjoy it even if its just an overstuffed mess, probably because its energetic and full of some great lines.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Better still, some of the big special effects were running away from them. “There was a scene where we blew up a temple,” says Heygate. “The art department built it,” he hastens to add. “The effects were only supposed to blow a quarter of it up but it got a bit out of hand. We had Jean-Claude, Kylie [Minogue, who played Cammy] and a bunch of other actors right outside it as it blew – and the whole thing went up. There was $240,000 of scaffolding and it just melted. But the sequence looked great.”

Ming-Na Wen, who played Chun-Li, and underwent intense weight training in the lead up to the film, remembers it a little differently. “They were all big wussies,” she says, laughing. “I won’t name names, but I got into one of those brother-sister banter relationships with one of the other actors. I remember one day, I punched him so hard he cried. We were just goofing around!”

Julia also drew the admiration and respect of his fellow actors. Terribly ill throughout the production, and accompanied by his wife and children – who may have known their time with him was limited – he gave everything he had to the Bison role.

“It was a joy to be on the same set as him,” says Mammone. “He wasn’t a movie star, he wasn’t a celebrity – he was an actor in the true sense of the word. The focus and concentration he maintained are things that I’ve carried with me for the rest of my career. When he stepped on set, he was that character.” Seth, too, has fond memories. “He used to sneak out at night like a tomcat,” he says. “He would go off gambling with a big Havana cigar clenched between his teeth. I thought that was terrifically romantic.”

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sunswipe posted:

They’re all technically Gun.Smoke sequels anyway.

Red Dead Revolver came into existence as a “Ghouls n Ghosts to Maximo”-style reboot of the franchise before Capcom canned it and sold it off to Rockstar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SilvergunSuperman posted:

“It was a joy to be on the same set as him,” says Mammone. “He wasn’t a movie star, he wasn’t a celebrity – he was an actor in the true sense of the word. The focus and concentration he maintained are things that I’ve carried with me for the rest of my career. When he stepped on set, he was that character.” Seth, too, has fond memories. “He used to sneak out at night like a tomcat,” he says. “He would go off gambling with a big Havana cigar clenched between his teeth. I thought that was terrifically romantic.”

When he was filming one of the Addams Family movies one of his eyes fell out while he was talking to someone.

He just put it back in and kept talking. Raul Julia was a goddamn treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

All but one of the CoJ games are good (the Cartel blows so bad they don’t sell it anymore) but Gunslinger is excellent.
The first one is good, Bound in Blood is really loving good, but Gunslinger sets out to do one thing and executes it perfectly.

I'm still not sure why they decided to make that modern day cartel game. The only thing that stands out about the calls of juarezes (a series of games that I enjoyed) was that it was a cool wild west shooter. If you move that to the modern day, why, then it just seems like a generic shooter game.