Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

All I want for RDM is Versuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Versona

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Verthunder/Stone 2, Verflare/Holy 2, Scorch 2, Resolution 2 and I’ll be happy

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Arist posted:

I dunno, parts of Heavensward on the gameplay side of things were pretty dire.

Yeah, saw a youtube video that was essentially a counter to the discourse that EW is the worst expansion that made the point that no actually it was definitely hw. It was like an hour so I just kinda jumped around but there sure was a lot of, "drat I sure forgot how much that poo poo fuckin sucked." Just to name a few

1. Ranged Physical cast bars.
2. Absolute dumpster job balance, worst the game has ever had.
3. Gordias destroying the raid scene.
4. Original 3.0 endgame crafting being a complete nightmare clusterfuck.
5. The multiple, terrible versions of Diadem.
Special Mention: Paladin job quests.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All they need to do is rename all of their abilities that do not have the prefix Ver to have the prefix Ver.

Why not Verscorch and Verresolution?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah, saw a youtube video that was essentially a counter to the discourse that EW is the worst expansion that made the point that no actually it was definitely hw. It was like an hour so I just kinda jumped around but there sure was a lot of, "drat I sure forgot how much that poo poo fuckin sucked." Just to name a few

1. Ranged Physical cast bars.
2. Absolute dumpster job balance, worst the game has ever had.
3. Gordias destroying the raid scene.
4. Original 3.0 endgame crafting being a complete nightmare clusterfuck.
5. The multiple, terrible versions of Diadem.
Special Mention: Paladin job quests.

All this is something FFXIV's developers have demonstrably learned from, though, so we're unlikely to get another Heavensward.

The worst we'll get might be 'playing it overly safe', and... honestly, that might be Endwalker.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's time for Verultima

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Arist posted:

I dunno, parts of Heavensward on the gameplay side of things were pretty dire.

I think HW was still showing some signs of labor pains, it was a stage between ARR and later expansions and things have smoothed since then.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cleretic posted:

All this is something FFXIV's developers have demonstrably learned from, though, so we're unlikely to get another Heavensward.

They did but they may unlearn a couple of those lessons after all the endless homogenization braying.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The question is, what new heights of thirst induction will they bring to Dawntrail?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nessus posted:

The question is, what new heights of thirst induction will they bring to Dawntrail?

Catmoms

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Again, still not really getting the whole "Endwalker is the worst expansion" consensus at the moment. It was a great expansion, not quite as good as shadowbringers, but what is, and the 6.0 MSQ (even if it had its warts) was incredible

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Feldegast42 posted:

Again, still not really getting the whole "Endwalker is the worst expansion" consensus at the moment. It was a great expansion, not quite as good as shadowbringers, but what is, and the 6.0 MSQ (even if it had its warts) was incredible
If you don't give a poo poo about the story I guess maybe there's a case since I don't think stuff generally broke new ground.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Nessus posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about the story I guess maybe there's a case since I don't think stuff generally broke new ground.

I'm bad at really understanding the nuances of games. when people called death stranding a game unlike anything they've ever played before, I played it and loved it but when you boil it down it's just MMO fetch quests. what would "breaking new ground" mean for an MMO?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
EW is probably tied for my favorite expansion (which is all of them for different reasons other than ARR, which is poop from a butt), but I don't really think it's fair to say EW's story is particularly incredible. The 6.0 story owned, probably the best story in the game, but I really just did not vibe with the 6.X story at all. I'm not going to say it was Objectively Bad or anything but due to the now-longer expansion cycle and 6.0 being a complete story it meant I was stuck with MSQ patches I didn't really care about for 2 years.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

When I think of EW story I think 6.0, with 6.x basically being a filler arc bridging to the next major arc of the story. But yeah I can see people not being big on 6.x MSQ souring on the expansion (even if all the fights have been real legit).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly it's my favorite expansion, I was just noting that as far as gameplay goes it's kinda meek and unimpressive.

I think a lot of the 'Endwalker is the worst' arguments come from people who either came in with Shadowbringers, or just overfocused on it as a favorite, and are now dealing with a return to the mean. For the (many) people who started with Shadowbringers, I think Endwalker is also when they're first reaching a point where they've just run out of pre-existing content that already appeals to them, hence the 'content drought' complaints.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've said it before, as a standalone I don't think Endwalker was a high point (not that it was a low point either) but what it really did was stick the landing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

The endless complaints elsewhere are that jobs are too homogenized now and there's no content to do. Having spent enough time arguing with these idiots, I think the crux of it comes down to there not really being adequate combat content for the kind of player who plays this game 4+ hours a day but has no interest in anything above baseline normal content. In shb and sb, these players had exploratory zones and in all the previous expansions, relics were a semi-significant time-ink, usually amounting to 40ish hours of gameplay for the first relic.

There's no similar content in EW with a long-playtime grind attached. Doing anything above floor 30 of Orthos is decidedly not for these people. Variant dungeons are but you can grind out all the rewards for that in like, 8 hours of play time and they definitely aren't going to be doing criterion or savage. Relic would quality if they multiplied the tomestone requirements by 10. Combined with the lengthened patch cycles, all these players think there's "nothing to do."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I stopped playing for 1.5 years so I only had to deal with mid msq over like a couple of months so frankly EW is prety swell.

Anyway, there's always going to be complaints about the current patch/expansion/whatever of any live service games and people need to stop focusing on it so much. I think FFXIV has just finally gotten so big those complaints are seeming louder than they used to, but in essence every expansion has had the same thing go on.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Feldegast42 posted:

I've chalked it up to content creators needing something to yell about, so they're taking mild-medium issues they have with the state of the game and making them seem like major issues. My anecdotal experience with the groups of friends I have is that EW has been good and the game is still fun to play.

Dwesa posted:

I think HW was still showing some signs of labor pains, it was a stage between ARR and later expansions and things have smoothed since then.
This was my thought while reading down the thread. HW release was 2015 and they've shown in the last 8.5 years that they know better than they did during HW development with the three expansion releases since.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm gonna be honest here and wondering if the complaints around the relic is because it's linked to the uncapped 90 tomestones being... actually limited to get. Like yeah, you get them for doing lv 90 content in general, but outside of roulettes (which people might want to save for EXP if not having everything at 90 or just don't want to do) you don't... get much of it doing content. Any non-EW content just gives you poetics so the relic ends up being "run Expert Roulette daily and weekly raids" which kinda runs against the dev's wish to let players get the relic doing whatever they want.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm gonna be honest here and wondering if the complaints around the relic is because it's linked to the uncapped 90 tomestones being... actually limited to get. Like yeah, you get them for doing lv 90 content in general, but outside of roulettes (which people might want to save for EXP if not having everything at 90 or just don't want to do) you don't... get much of it doing content. Any non-EW content just gives you poetics so the relic ends up being "run Expert Roulette daily and weekly raids" which kinda runs against the dev's wish to let players get the relic doing whatever they want.

Huh? There's tons of roulettes that give that currency. You can pretty easily farm 600 or so of it a day just from roulettes; https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Duty_Roulette. Expert isn't even the best source! And all of the complaints about it are that it's too easy to get, not too hard.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Failboattootoot posted:

The endless complaints elsewhere are that jobs are too homogenized now and there's no content to do. Having spent enough time arguing with these idiots, I think the crux of it comes down to there not really being adequate combat content for the kind of player who plays this game 4+ hours a day but has no interest in anything above baseline normal content. In shb and sb, these players had exploratory zones and in all the previous expansions, relics were a semi-significant time-ink, usually amounting to 40ish hours of gameplay for the first relic.

There's no similar content in EW with a long-playtime grind attached. Doing anything above floor 30 of Orthos is decidedly not for these people. Variant dungeons are but you can grind out all the rewards for that in like, 8 hours of play time and they definitely aren't going to be doing criterion or savage. Relic would quality if they multiplied the tomestone requirements by 10. Combined with the lengthened patch cycles, all these players think there's "nothing to do."

basically correct, though the one point i think they make that could be experimented with is more content of ex or first-floor savage difficulty for people who get walled going farther. but that's also dependent on hiring experienced MMO devs who speak japanese, which is why yoship concludes every live letter and fanfest with "please apply for jobs here we need bodies"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just thought the base story wasn't as great as it should have been for the ending of a big story and the patch storyline disappointed me too. Gameplay is fine-ish? I am kind of bored of the relic questline though. It's not even funny.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I stopped playing for 1.5 years so I only had to deal with mid msq over like a couple of months so frankly EW is prety swell.

Anyway, there's always going to be complaints about the current patch/expansion/whatever of any live service games and people need to stop focusing on it so much. I think FFXIV has just finally gotten so big those complaints are seeming louder than they used to, but in essence every expansion has had the same thing go on.

IMO it's this, a lot of people got onboarded during Shadowbringers and so EW is their first current expansion. Combine that with the game just being more popular in general lately and people are gonna find things to focus on and complain about.

Any claim that the game is "dying" is patently ridiculous, from what I hear the active player numbers are way higher as a percentage of what they were at EW's launch, the undisputed peak of the game's popularity, than they were this long after Shadowbringers' launch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mister Olympus posted:

basically correct, though the one point i think they make that could be experimented with is more content of ex or first-floor savage difficulty for people who get walled going farther. but that's also dependent on hiring experienced MMO devs who speak japanese, which is why yoship concludes every live letter and fanfest with "please apply for jobs here we need bodies"

See, I think that the main point those people make is that they aren't actually trying things that didn't fit into the baseline content and difficulty structure they learned in... well, Shadowbringers.

If what they truly want is what was broadly provided by Bozja--content that's harder than your typical roulettes but not at 'get a static together and spend a night just learning parts of a fight' difficulty, and can theoretically be done in a self-motivated way instead of with a coordinated group--then... well, they got that: Eureka Orthos and the variant and criterion dungeons are that. And I'd actually argue Eureka Orthos is better at that than any content before it, deep dungeon or field operation.

And what I've seen of these crowds doesn't suggest that those pieces of content are falling short in practice, but more falling short in pitch; these people don't seem to realize that this content is what they're looking for, it's a straight-up blind spot. In Eureka Orthos' case I think it's being let down by PotD and HoH being seen as braindead powerleveling, so they're just not equipped to look at it as 'content that demands you pay attention and be careful or else it'll punch your lights out'.

It feels a little weird, but I wonder if this sort of thing could be solved by sort of an in-game (or at least external but generally findable and agreed-on) difficulty grade. Like, if these people see that Bozja and Eureka Orthos fill the same '5-6/10' spot on the difficulty chart, will they actually treat it like that?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

IMO it's this, a lot of people got onboarded during Shadowbringers and so EW is their first current expansion. Combine that with the game just being more popular in general lately and people are gonna find things to focus on and complain about.

Any claim that the game is "dying" is patently ridiculous, from what I hear the active player numbers are way higher as a percentage of what they were at EW's launch, the undisputed peak of the game's popularity, than they were this long after Shadowbringers' launch.

Yeah exactly. I caught up with SB, which is still an expansion I think of pretty highly, and y'know it was showered with complaints. To my memory it was certainly worse than current thoughts about EW so i'm always a little surprised when people talk about how crazy the current complaints are. Like I dunno man, were you here for Eureka? People could not shut up about this poo poo, its really nothing new.

Topics have changed slightly but for the most part this is how it goes.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
you can't just hop into a orthos run with some friends for a little bit and make progress, or go solo and run around with randos, or do 3 different cool quasi-alliance raids in orthos

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I do kind of agree that a lack of a eureka / bozja is part of it. The stardew valley island is supposed to be a replacement but its not everyone's cup of tea (including mine).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
high floor deep dungeons are definitely more pressure than the said audience is looking for. the big fates in bozja are basically ivalice/nier level alliance raid bosses in an open world zone.

another big complaint is that "i'd do criterion if there were PF groups for it" and it's true that four player content is more likely to be done within friend groups and is therefore quieter in PF. again, this is why they go back to bozja, it's something you just queue in for.

but just like the homogenization argument, this is also fighting upstream against the culture. the reason every job is on a strict 2 minute timer is because the ones that weren't got quietly excluded from PFs. the answer to criterion not having an active PF scene is to get your friends into it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Farg posted:

you can't just hop into a orthos run with some friends for a little bit and make progress, or go solo and run around with randos, or do 3 different cool quasi-alliance raids in orthos

You can do the first one. And honestly, I'd argue that the second one has a solution that manifests differently, but in a stronger form.

Soloing in Eureka or Bozja ultimately relies on a 'ships in the night' sort of approach. You aren't going to make appreciable or meaningful progress by doing things completely solo; what you're ultimately hoping for, even if you don't know or aren't open about it, is to link up with other people doing the same thing. That's not a problem and is absolutely intentional, it's part of that 'classic MMO' styling that inspired Eureka in the first place, but it does hit a problem that sometimes, there's a dead end. That there's just not people in Eureka or Bozja, either in general or not doing the content you need to do, so you stall out.

Meanwhile with the deep dungeons, not only is it actually entirely possible to throw out a Party Finder ad and see what happens (I feel like there's a lot of people in general who go 'I don't see a PF ad, there must literally not be a community for this' and never try making one themselves), it's also entirely possible--and incentivized--to try just doing it yourself. It's a very different sort of challenge, and requires a very different skillset than the rest of the game, but it's available, engaging and in its way rewarding.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Arist posted:

I mathed this out while arguing with some doofus and yeah. All the other expansions saw a 31%ish dip in player count between their peak and their low, EW's low hit 22%ish if I remember, and then went on to be a gentle upward slope based on the last lucky bancho survey. But I wouldn't expect that to hold, this coming content drought is dire and there's no wow exodus to prop it up (well... probably won't be). But I also wouln't expect it to dip too much below a 31% loss in player count either.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Don't discount the Xbox launch coming during the downtime before 7.0. I don't think it'll be near as big as the wave of people coming at the end of ShB, but I doubt it'll be insignificant.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I think Orthos is fine; I liked it enough to do two full clears vs 1 HoH clear and no PotD clears. The reason I wanted another foray zone vs Island-Orthos-Variant-Criterion (dev resources were also used on Duty Support, which is good for the game overall but not targeted at someone like me) is that those are made for 1-4 people, and I have groups of friends that have had groups of 10+ people that want to do stuff together. A bunch of us idiots hopping into Skyslippers/Lunar Whales and doing stuff in Eureka or Bozja made for some fun nights during the pandemic lockdown days. Going into those zones to group up with random people is fun for me too, along with seeing people repeatedly and making new friends out of them.

Sometimes it's still fun for an MMO to be massively multiplayer. I just finished doing a hunt train because I also enjoy being a part of 100+ people running around to kill things.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also straight up, Criterion is not easier than Savage raiding. It's appreciably equal to the middle two floors of a raid tier.

It requires less people, yes, but it's difficult content that is designed for Savage raiders to do in smaller groups alongside the current Savage Tier mechanically speaking.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Onean posted:

Don't discount the Xbox launch

you are powerless to stop me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Onean posted:

Don't discount the Xbox launch coming during the downtime before 7.0. I don't think it'll be near as big as the wave of people coming at the end of ShB, but I doubt it'll be insignificant.

I'm mentally steeling myself for another Raubahn EX.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kazinsal posted:

I'm mentally steeling myself for another Raubahn EX.

I think the most likely thing given the Xbox launch is coming pre-Dawntrail anyway is that we're gonna see a huge influx of people queueing for Ramuh EX and then getting mad that A: the queue times are long, and B: the mentors keep telling them not to do that instead of carrying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I think the most likely thing given the Xbox launch is coming pre-Dawntrail anyway is that we're gonna see a huge influx of people queueing for Ramuh EX and then getting mad that A: the queue times are long, and B: the mentors keep telling them not to do that instead of carrying them.

Healer and tank queue times for leveling and MSQ roulette are going to go into the negatives. Your queue will pop immediately upon checking the duty box.