Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

He asked for the items in code which does in fact indicate he could not speak freely. Tony is like Snape in that he is a good guy trying to save Harry from falling off the broom. However in this story Snape got Lily, gently caress James (Potter and Eglamore I guess).

Snape may have been on the side of good, but he'd still have failed a visit from Ofsted.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Snape may have been on the side of good, but he'd still have failed a visit from Ofsted.

True but so would all of Hogwarts. You are not supposed to be in the monster forest! Your punishment is to go into the monster forest at night!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can we keep the Harry Potter talk on lovely social media feeds? Thanks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tony can have all the good intentions and heartbreak in the world but he's still been a complete and utter dick to his daughter to the point of causing harm.

Welcome to the realization your parents are just people and sometimes they gently caress up and break down too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Welcome to the realization your parents are just people and sometimes they gently caress up and break down too.

:confused:

I mean yeah this is obvious, but I think Tony's actions are more damaging than the average parental fuckup

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

:confused:

I mean yeah this is obvious, but I think Tony's actions are more damaging than the average parental fuckup

Yeah most fathers don't kill their wives.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Darth Vader wasn't a villain, unless you have some kind of hangup about your parents.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Next time on Gunnerkrigg Court: Tony confronts the psychopomps!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So that's how he lost that hand!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah everything is still pointing at "Tony is an rear end in a top hat," just that he's a sad rear end in a top hat out of his depth rather than an outright malicious double-hitler rear end in a top hat.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah everything is still pointing at "Tony is an rear end in a top hat," just that he's a sad rear end in a top hat out of his depth rather than an outright malicious double-hitler rear end in a top hat.

Sure I think most posters accept he is not bad so much as causing bad things by his actions. However what I am saying is causing bad things to happen by accident or misguidedness doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Also I don't think we know enough to even say he made the wrong choices yet. That is just my opinion though. However it is a very good looking opinion with classically handsome cheekbones and nice hair.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Ch 27 commentary video is up, by the way. Spring Heeled.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

EmmyOk posted:

Sure I think most posters accept he is not bad so much as causing bad things by his actions. However what I am saying is causing bad things to happen by accident or misguidedness doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Also I don't think we know enough to even say he made the wrong choices yet. That is just my opinion though. However it is a very good looking opinion with classically handsome cheekbones and nice hair.

I'm of the opinion that experimental surgery should only be done with the patient's informed consent and that to do otherwise kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat, and that going out of your way to humiliate your daughter the very first time you see her after so many years also makes you an rear end in a top hat, and that both of those choices were the wrong choices, but maybe I'm just weird :shrug:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hremsfeld posted:

I'm of the opinion that experimental surgery should only be done with the patient's informed consent and that to do otherwise kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat, and that going out of your way to humiliate your daughter the very first time you see her after so many years also makes you an rear end in a top hat, and that both of those choices were the wrong choices, but maybe I'm just weird :shrug:

No you see he is just *~misunderstood~* and in my fanfic he

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hremsfeld posted:

I guess you read chapters I did not where all of these things happened and were explained like that

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hremsfeld posted:

Yeah. Anthony has suffered, has good intentions and is not malicious. Anthony has also neglected, humiliated and hurt his daughter to the point that she is suffering an emotional breakdown. Both of these things can be true. How much is Anthony's fault is a whole can of worms but also irrelevant to the fact that he has done hurtful things to his daughter. Annie learning these things will probably do a lot to help her deal with it, but the sad part is it probably still wont help them be closer. Unfortunately when someone internalizes poo poo to this degree, it takes more than a hug and a talk to fix it.

In short, I wouldn't call Anthony an rear end in a top hat but he undeniably behaved like one. I think that's an important distinction.

It's complicated, like real life relationships often are.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I guess you read chapters I did not where all of these things happened and were explained like that

We still don't even know wtf happened in that chapter, it was incredibly vague by design. NON CONSENSUAL EXPERIMENTAL SURGERY might very well be a possibility but people should stop taking it as hard fact and using it as undeniable evidence in their theories.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm hoping the next page is just a panel of Donnie saying "Antimony talks to those guys all the time" followed by 15 panels of Tony staring sadly at his stump.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
All of this could have been avoided if Tony just talked to his kid. She didn't even loving know, man.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Ok so anthony is literally gendo now.
Get in the Omega Device, Annie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackheart posted:

We still don't even know wtf happened in that chapter, it was incredibly vague by design. NON CONSENSUAL EXPERIMENTAL SURGERY might very well be a possibility but people should stop taking it as hard fact and using it as undeniable evidence in their theories.

Pretty much this. I like Tony but I don't need him to be innocent or perfect. I'm just trying to say that we know so little about what happened with him and even less about the Bone chapter. It's super surreal and vague and might be what people suspect but it's being treated like an episode of Dateline. "Is your child safe from the phantom bone surgeon? Our study says no they're already dead". Before this conversation people had a fairly dim view of Tony that has improved since it started. Maybe be open to the fact it might improve more

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Love makes you act in strange ways. Tony's love for his daughter has impelled him to act toward her in ways that are indistinguishable from being motivated by hate. Annie isn't stupid; she knows he loves her, even though nobody else sees it. But she did not understand why he was hurting her, and every explanation she could think of only deepened the harm.

What does Tony intend to do with the psychopomps, and what will he think if he learns Annie is becoming one?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Blackheart posted:

We still don't even know wtf happened in that chapter, it was incredibly vague by design.
It's sufficiently bad that Annie got hospitalised over it, whatever it was.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lurdiak posted:

Can we keep the Harry Potter talk on lovely social media feeds? Thanks.

What's wrong with comparing two relatively similar series?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 1, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That second panel is really pretty. Is that avatar material?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
> Tony is angry at whatever psychopomp took Surma to the other side

> Surma had Annie take her

Hoooo boy, here we go.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

EmmyOk posted:

I guess I did. For one, I read The Tree. It's a chapter wherein the very first time Anthony sees Annie after several years is when he publicly humiliates her. I also read the scene at the end of Red Gets a Name (an earlier chapter) where she hears from her father for the first time in years, Microsat 5 (the next chapter) which is about Annie and Donald sending Anthony some surgical supplies, and Divine (the next chapter), which is about Annie being unconscious in the hospital. While she's there, Zimmy does some etheric stuff to try to help, sees some bones sticking out of her and holding her in place, and traces them back to her father (who as a reminder Annie had just sent surgical supplies to). Zimmy destroys the bones, and nearly immediately afterwards, Annie wakes up.

It's certainly possible that Annie just so happens to have had weird bone-like etheric projections that had never made an appearance before and hadn't affected her before, and just happened to fall into a coma, and just happened to wake back up right after the bones were destroyed, but Occam's Razor says the bones were what caused her to go into that coma in the first place. Similarly, it's possible that these bones which seemingly put her into a coma and led back to Anthony were actually put in place by some third party and made to falsely appear to go back to Anthony in the event someone etherically capable tried to trace them, but it's far more likely that Anthony made them somehow, likely utilizing the surgical supplies that the preceding chapter made a very big deal about getting to him.

They're pretty good chapters and have beautiful art, by the way. I highly recommend reading them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Anthony has been compared to Gendo ever since he showed back up (before then, probably) and none of what I've seen has dissuaded me from that comparison yet. It's apt, right down to the obsession with his dead wife and willingness to neglect his child in order to repent for his past actions.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

IMJack posted:

Annie took her alright. She still has all of it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't think you could use regular scalpels to do distant magic surgery so they might have been for something else, even if they were related to the events in divine. Now imagine the bones represent a mental link instead, what if they actually were unknown to both Annie and Tony and only Zimmy was able to identify them? I'm not ruling out that tony was behind them (because that much can be discerned from that chapter at least), but it wouldn't be strange either if the link was an unintended result of something he did for some other purpose and he just received an ether punch outta nowhere (from his perspective).

IMJack posted:

Hoooo boy, here we go.

I don't believe he hates the death guides, he just said he blames himself for "killing" her so an afterlife guide only did its job. He mentions them almost casually in today's comic, like if they were just regular work colleagues of her and he went to them for some extra info. This is what I think but, well, friday's comic could always prove me wrong.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Hremsfeld posted:

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, Anthony Carver is Father of the Year!

It's just that the year in question is 1851.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have read these chapters too! I guess we did not have the same opinions though because that is the nature of a piece of art and also because I don't take resolute stands on incomplete information. Yeah Anthony's return was lovely but so was a lot of his behaviour that has recently explained to be much more reasonable and kind than people expected. If he explains why he returned so abruptly and I think it's acceptable great if not I will be much more at ease deciding he's a jerk. It's definitely weird how sure people are about what the Bone chapter was, it's super strange and not clear cut at all. I mean there's a great chance you're right about Tony but it won't make a difference to me because I'm not compelled to cast judgment till I know more. I am sure it will be very satisfying for you if your deductions were correct.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EmmyOk posted:

I have read these chapters too! I guess we did not have the same opinions though because that is the nature of a piece of art and also because I don't take resolute stands on incomplete information. Yeah Anthony's return was lovely but so was a lot of his behaviour that has recently explained to be much more reasonable and kind than people expected. If he explains why he returned so abruptly and I think it's acceptable great if not I will be much more at ease deciding he's a jerk. It's definitely weird how sure people are about what the Bone chapter was, it's super strange and not clear cut at all. I mean there's a great chance you're right about Tony but it won't make a difference to me because I'm not compelled to cast judgment till I know more. I am sure it will be very satisfying for you if your deductions were correct.
If it looks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then people aren't being unreasonable for saying it's a duck and extrapolating from that, even if it ultimately turns out to be a perfectly accurate robotic replica of a duck. It is pretty obvious that while divine is open to interpretation, the intent is for us to assume for now that it was Tony. Nobody will have been "wrong" for being succesfully "fooled" for narrative effect by the guy 100% in control of everything we know about this story.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

If it looks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then people aren't being unreasonable for saying it's a duck and extrapolating from that, even if it ultimately turns out to be a perfectly accurate robotic replica of a duck. It is pretty obvious that while divine is open to interpretation, the intent is for us to assume for now that it was Tony. Nobody will have been "wrong" for being succesfully "fooled" for narrative effect by the guy 100% in control of everything we know about this story.

Well for me it looks more like a winged shape in the distance that people are calling a duck, to horribly maul your analogy. My point isn't that "CAN'T LET MYSELF BE FOOLED" my point is that people seem more concerned with being right than with exploring possibilities.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Well for me it looks more like a winged shape in the distance that people are calling a duck, to horribly maul your analogy. My point isn't that "CAN'T LET MYSELF BE FOOLED" my point is that people seem more concerned with being right than with exploring possibilities.

What are some other possibilities for the events in the chapters quoted? Ideally ones that are supported by the comic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What are some other possibilities for the events in the chapters quoted? Ideally ones that are supported by the comic.
Most likely none of us are 'right' and the real answers will be nothing like anyone expected. However I am sure people would call that a cop out answer so here are some alternatives to the chapters listed by Hremsfeld. Though obviously I agree with his/her assertion that the art is wonderful.

Well like I said Tony's return is quite bad but depending on where he was and why he returned we don't know why it was so abrupt. The make-up part was over the top though but I think it should be pointed out Annie was wearing the same eye shadow Surma used to wear. That does not make what Anthony did appropriate but if true is the difference between trying to embarrass Antimony and not wanting to be reminded of the wife he failed.

As for the scalpels and phone call, I think the key thing here is that Tony had to send it as a coded message and not openly. It's important to note also he might not have had to call Antimony and was explicitly stated not have needed to say her name. That to me says that Tony is in a position or place where communication is very strictly monitored or possibly even totally blocked and he managed to find a security hole to get his message out.

The Etheric Bone Surgery is a very strange chapter but let's assume it is literally what people think and it was definitely Tony performing long distance bone surgery. The big question then is why did he not get Antimony's consent? Maybe he didn't have time. Perhaps all of a sudden the surgery was needed and there was no time or way to get a message to Annie before the surgery had to be done. Or maybe it was something that could only succeed if the elemental was unaware of it. Perhaps it was a way to temporarily seal the fire elemental that would only work if it was taken by surprise.

I have made some assumptions in those paragraphs however I believe they are sufficiently grounded in things seen and said in the comic. I don't think all these opinions or possibilities are more or less likely than the commonly held ones and a few are much less likely than the common views. I do however think they are valid enough that I am far from certain what has happened, is happening, or will happen.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Annie is gonna snap and blow up something

but i think her little room is designed to contain that and it will ultimately power the bad thing

annie and kat will have to stop bad thing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also I am rereading to Kill a Mockingbird and I just finished the part where Scout overhears Atticus talking to Uncle Jack about the upcoming case and about Scout herself. The entire time Atticus knew she was there and it was years later before she realised this. I think it'd be neat if Tony knows Annie is listening in and this is the only way he can be open with her, it'd be sweet. Sweet as in cute not as in kickin' rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EmmyOk posted:

Not really. As Hremsfeld summarised, Tony asked for surgery supplies, right afterwards Annie is in the hospital, Zimmie says her dad is involved, Zimmy climbs the (five) bone spears and punches a guy who looks like her dad, Annie immediately wakes up, later her dad shows up all beat up and missing a hand. Saying "Well yes but maybe it was someone else" is definitely robot duck territory. As to the "out of his way to humiliate her" part: literally the first thing he says to her after returning from years of absence is "Go to the rest room to wash that ridiculous makeup from your face. Cosmetics are not allowed in my class". Then held up the class until she did. That he is currently being shown to not actually be the autistic sociopath he presents himself to much of the world as actually makes this worse, because if he is an actual functioning human being with human emotions that means he knew what he was doing.