Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ShootaBoy posted:

I didn't die to the combat, though. I died because the combat ran out the invisible timer I was never told about and I burned to death.

I really would like to know for sure what the hell is up, because I'd rather not spend time on it if I'm always running the risk of ending up at square one.

Just keep going, your game isn't going to be erased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sniper Party posted:

This isn't entirely clear. The entire game makes the point that objective reality is extremely hard to define. The end cinematic is not in a place we've seen in any of the flashbacks (I think?) and explicitly features a mountainous landscape, different from the flashbacks to Senua's village. It seems clear to me that Senua has traveled somewhere, and it makes sense that many of the events that happened during play could have been real but heavily distorted due to her hallucinations.

While this is true, they also were far too consistent about it for me to believe anything but.

Senua’s enemies all appear from nowhere and disappear back into nowhere. All of the puzzle solutions boil down to “make Senua believe she did something to get past this obstacle or unlock the door”. You never use keys or find a lever or lock, Senua simply overcomes a mental barrier every time. Geometry and props that block your way aren’t moved, they simply disappear. The only people she ever talks to in the game are either completely imaginary or already dead. All of her lasting wounds by the end of the game are completely unrelated to combat and instead look like the injuries of someone who’s had a few really lovely days in the wilderness.

I’m not saying her journey isn’t real, but I am saying that despite seeing tons of enemies and hearing Senua have conversation flashbacks, she’s the only character who ever actually appears in the game. I don’t see any evidence whatsoever that any of the enemies in the game actually exist.

They never pulled the “it’s all in her head” moment because that would not only require a second character but it would seriously undermine everything they were going for. We in the 21st century know what mental illness is, but to someone in Senua’s time there’d be really no even thought of that. She’s cursed and haunted, not insane.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ShootaBoy posted:

I didn't die to the combat, though. I died because the combat ran out the invisible timer I was never told about and I burned to death.

I really would like to know for sure what the hell is up, because I'd rather not spend time on it if I'm always running the risk of ending up at square one.

You should just carry on playing, but if you really want to know

(Hellblade spoilers)
there is no permadeath except on your last 'failure', which is when you complete the game. There are fights you're not supposed to win; listen closely to the voices in your head and you'll know when you should give up and when you shouldn't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout 3: In the Reilly's Rangers quest, you're tasked with finding the leader of a squad of mercenaries, who'll want you to go rescue them (they're trapped on the roof of a hotel.) The leader will give you directions through the ruins from where she is, to where they are. What's annoying is that her directions are different from the route your UI will come up with to do the same thing, and this takes place on a part of the map that's already pretty confusing to navigate.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I had to put down Hellblade when I got to the part where you're in a catacomb and just saw Senua's mom behind a door because I plain couldn't figure out where to go and how to open the door. I must have spent at least half an hour looking for the third symbol to open the door. I just don't give enough of a poo poo to keep looking.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
I've been playing the enhanced edition of Planescape: Torment and while the writing itself more or less holds up the actual scripting for conversation trees is very inelegant in that it has a bad habit of dumping you back to the beginning of a conversation and making you awkwardly repeat the same few branches of conversation to get back to where you were to pursue a different line of questioning rather than more organically letting you flow from one point of discussion to the next. Especially since there's no visual indicator that a tree of the dialogue has already been explored fully or has new text in it and the groupings of dialogue choices can be awkward; even knowing that it was possible it took me way too long to get Dak'kon to start teaching me about the ways of Zerthimon because the option to start it is buried in the options to have him switch your classes. Factor that in with the game's penchant for having huge exposition dumps and character backstories (albeit justified by the main character's amnesia) and instead of conversations with actual characters it can feel more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhBDmogXxFQ&t=24s

Also the inventory being limited by both weight and item slots is annoying in a game that encourages you to hold onto strange items for possible future plot or character uses. Especially since there are a ton of items that have no use or value that you can pick up and carry for seemingly no reason, a piece of junk or a hammer and prybar might be mandatory for plot progression while a leather strap and a pile of rags can sit in your entire inventory the entire game despite having no actual use in-game. Even worse is that there are times when an item seems like it would have a use and doesn't, like when you meet an NPC who collects skulls and will trade for the skulls of a few named NPCs but won't take any of the many generic (and useless) human and monster skulls you can have collected up to that point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls III: My fault for not using SweetFX but the colour-scheme is so god-awfully dull. Over half the levels are predominantly grey: the cemetery, the hub, the high-wall, the settlement, the swamp, the cathedral, the catacombs, the dungeon, the capitol, the castle, the archives, the rehashed cemetery, the garden, poo poo it's actually two-thirds grey. Since all the areas blend together too well the world feels tiny because you never leave your initial drab surroundings. Demons' Souls came out in "Brown Graphics Era" and yet it wasn't this monotone.

A drawback with being the second sequel to a game that had the word "Hard" in the marketing is that the makers kept trying to up the ante even further with challenging enemies. The end-result is the Giant-Snakeman. He's huge and armed with an axe, but they don't balance his size with a slower speed, instead he's faster and more aggressive than the majority of enemies. He can't be backstabbed and you're unlikely to ever make him flinch. He's almost never alone and you even fight two of him at once, and as a final gently caress-you on death he'll probably drop a useless Shard instead of a Chunk. They may as well make him invincible like that hacker that took no damage and killed my summoned ally before he could move. Anything that isn't the Nameless King in Archdragon Peak is utter poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jun 3, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The big snakemans are pretty much "Lure them near a ledge" because they totter all over the place and fall to their death often enough or you just plunging attack them, I think they can be parried too but can't remember entirely on that one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On mobile so I’ll find it later but I downloaded a good reshade setup that made the game look a lot more vibrant and better in general

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the nameless king is utter poo poo too. that first phase is utter dogshit with a lovely arena with a lovely camera.

gently caress the nameless king. worst boss in any souls game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'd say that out of all the dark souls bosses, the one i hated the most was the mini-boss of the posion dlc in DS2, just three super strong NPCs that get even worse if you have more people.

The boss I feel is the worst designed would be the bed of chaos on any day.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

spit on my clit posted:

i'd say that out of all the dark souls bosses, the one i hated the most was the mini-boss of the posion dlc in DS2, just three super strong NPCs that get even worse if you have more people.

Yeah, all of the DLC challenge-gauntlet bosses were lazy as poo poo, but the NPC gank squad was head and shoulders above the rest in the race to rock bottom. The other two being "palette-swapped Smelter Demon fought in an identical arena" and "the same boss you just fought an hour ago but two of them."

I don't think Nameless King is a particularly well-designed fight or anything, but it at least has the decency to try to look cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

the nameless king is utter poo poo too. that first phase is utter dogshit with a lovely arena with a lovely camera.

gently caress the nameless king. worst boss in any souls game.

What's it like in backwards land? I had a ton of fun fighting him. First phase is lame but the dragon has almost no HP and you can murder it easily once you get used to its pattern. When the real fight begins, the guy's just an amped up version of Ornstein and it's a great fight that keeps you on your toes. It's one of the few fights that manages to come close to being as fun as Artorias.

My least favorite dark souls boss comes down to a tie between Kalameet and Midir. Because they're pretty much the same boss an they both suck to fight.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

phase 1 is utter trash and it blows my mind that even in the third game they still have no loving idea how to make the camera work against flying enemies

it's bad enough to spoil what is otherwise a fine fight in phase 2

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

You're not trying to lock on, are you?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Digirat posted:

On mobile so I’ll find it later but I downloaded a good reshade setup that made the game look a lot more vibrant and better in general

hetr it is

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/5515/

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nuebot posted:

You're not trying to lock on, are you?

of course not

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
in The Last Guardian you jump with triangle

in Let It Die you jump with square

in Warframe you jump with x

Playing all of those interchangeably leads to some fun :suicide: times

"It's okay, Trico, it's a simple jump *hurl myself into a precipice*"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
SPEAKING OF WARFRAME

disruptor enemies are the absolute worst. They rapidly drain your energy and have an utter poo poo ton of hitpoints, so for more energy focused characters like Equinox, you're basically hosed if you aren't packing an utterly ridiculous gun like the Hek or a blade like the Redeemer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oh, the Thing Dragging Down Warframe for me currently is Toxicity. The game works like a bunch of modern shooters, you have a Shield that regenerates and a Health that doesn't. Health drops are sparse but most of the time that's not a problem because even if you get into poo poo deep enough to cut your Shield to 0 and take some damage, you can scrape off or hide behind a pillar or something while it returns. Except that the Toxicity status straight out ignores your Shield and drains your Health for a set amount of time, and the best you can do is either avoid it - very hard when you're trying to survive a wave of enemies that specifically create poisonous clouds - or get some resistance to the status - which only reduces the amount of time it affects you, but not completely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Samuringa posted:

Oh, the Thing Dragging Down Warframe for me currently is Toxicity. The game works like a bunch of modern shooters, you have a Shield that regenerates and a Health that doesn't. Health drops are sparse but most of the time that's not a problem because even if you get into poo poo deep enough to cut your Shield to 0 and take some damage, you can scrape off or hide behind a pillar or something while it returns. Except that the Toxicity status straight out ignores your Shield and drains your Health for a set amount of time, and the best you can do is either avoid it - very hard when you're trying to survive a wave of enemies that specifically create poisonous clouds - or get some resistance to the status - which only reduces the amount of time it affects you, but not completely.

The best thing about it was that it was introduced to counter a specific cheese tactic that doesn't exist anymore, IIRC. Back in the dark ages Rhino's super just flat out made him invincible for a specific duration. Players could max out their duration, minimize energy cost and set it up so they were basically invincible forever. So they tackled the problem in two ways. One was toxicity which just went through all forms of shielding and invulnerability. Killing rhino players pretty much instantly regardless of whether or not they were in their super. The other was by directly nerfing Rhino. They took his super and made it only reduce incoming damage. However it would also only absorb a certain amount of damage before disappearing completely - often vanishing after a single attack. At the time Rhino also had absolutely no other redeeming skills because they hadn't gone through with the big rhino make-over at this point. He was now a completely garbage, unused frame because of this. People literally only used him for his game breaking super, and they nerfed that without any real compensation. After introducing toxicity which plagues people to this day.

DE is bad at balancing their game. See also; the mass removal of i-frames from all caster ult skills which turned a lot of frames, like Mag, from great nuke options to glorified suicide buttons.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

DE is bad at balancing their game. See also; the mass removal of i-frames from all caster ult skills which turned a lot of frames, like Mag, from great nuke options to glorified suicide buttons.

This is hilarious, because Atlus, my favorite warframe, has invincibility frames when he uses his 1 skill, "Landslide". 25 mana to start a punch combo, in which you're invincible every punch, and each punch costs 5 mana. If you just stockpile all the efficiency mods on to him that you can, you could probably be invincible forever while dealing a flat 300 impact every punch. Another thing is that melee mods effect his punches, so you don't need to worry about ability strength as much as you would otherwise.

so yeah he gets to be a murder god while most other frames can just suck it. thank you DE souls

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

in The Last Guardian you jump with triangle

in Let It Die you jump with square

in Warframe you jump with x

Playing all of those interchangeably leads to some fun :suicide: times

"It's okay, Trico, it's a simple jump *hurl myself into a precipice*"

I've been going between Let it Die, Monster Hunter, I am Setsuna, and God of War.

I have no idea wtf I'm doing half the time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played in a few months so maybe they actually fixed this (unlikely), but a thing dragging warframe down is that health orb drops are bugged and do not drop from enemies at all. Only from lockers and nekros' loot ability. To my knowledge they have been bugged for outright years (they were dropping from enemies when I played back in 2013-2014, but no one was able to give me a straight answer for how long they've been bugged once I started playing again in 2017).

Apparently DE_Steve actually personally noticed this bug on a stream when he was playing, but months later nothing had been done about it, and I'm not sure whether DE has even acknowledged it at all outside of that one thing. On most missions this isn't a big deal, but sometimes you get a mission where never seeing a health orb drop is actually really frustrating

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

I haven't played in a few months so maybe they actually fixed this (unlikely), but a thing dragging warframe down is that health orb drops are bugged and do not drop from enemies at all. Only from lockers and nekros' loot ability. To my knowledge they have been bugged for outright years (they were dropping from enemies when I played back in 2013-2014, but no one was able to give me a straight answer for how long they've been bugged once I started playing again in 2017).

Apparently DE_Steve actually personally noticed this bug on a stream when he was playing, but months later nothing had been done about it, and I'm not sure whether DE has even acknowledged it at all outside of that one thing. On most missions this isn't a big deal, but sometimes you get a mission where never seeing a health orb drop is actually really frustrating

The answer is because DE_Steve probably thinks it's a good idea to drop no health. He's the guy who got into forum slap fights with their users about whether or not it was a cool idea to give Mercury enemies shields and make them so durable new players would literally run out of ammo before killing more than one or two guys all while setting the boss' HP to scale insanely so if you got someone to help you, you'd be fighting a boss that had literally millions of HP. He's also on the record, more than once now, of trying to slip Nervos back into the game when no one is paying too much attention. When Scorpions were introduced and were bugged to the point where they could grapple you, instantly, through walls across any distance instantly and hold you in place indefinitely - his response as a developer was to "get good". Rollers used to do damage every frame of contact to you, or to an objective meaning they would end defend missions near instantly just by casually touching the objective. He defended that as well. This is just the top of the iceberg too. That rhino nerf I posted about? His great idea "to add challenge to the frame's playstyle". Basically every bad idea is rooted in DE_Steve.

Usually you can't blame a single person for all the flaws with a product. But with Warframe? You can. You genuinely can.

spit on my clit posted:

This is hilarious, because Atlus, my favorite warframe, has invincibility frames when he uses his 1 skill, "Landslide". 25 mana to start a punch combo, in which you're invincible every punch, and each punch costs 5 mana. If you just stockpile all the efficiency mods on to him that you can, you could probably be invincible forever while dealing a flat 300 impact every punch. Another thing is that melee mods effect his punches, so you don't need to worry about ability strength as much as you would otherwise.

so yeah he gets to be a murder god while most other frames can just suck it. thank you DE souls
Yeah. You'd think they'd at least have given those frames like, damage reduction or something? Nope. You hit that button, you stand still to blow everything up. Every enemy turns and just shoots you to death.
It's especially hilarious with all the newer frames like Atlus, or that one that turns into a tiny turbo-fast death machine. So many of the newer things are ridiculously unbalanced and borderline invincible compared to the old poo poo they just let rot. They like to follow the league of legends style of thing too where they'll introduce a brand now and crazy over powered frame. Let it sit for a while (like Vauban, which literally broke the game for a bit. Or Nova who used to be able to clear entire maps with a single button press) and then when the next new toy comes out, nerf the old hotness into irrelevancy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The answer is because DE_Steve probably thinks it's a good idea to drop no health. He's the guy who got into forum slap fights with their users about whether or not it was a cool idea to give Mercury enemies shields and make them so durable new players would literally run out of ammo before killing more than one or two guys all while setting the boss' HP to scale insanely so if you got someone to help you, you'd be fighting a boss that had literally millions of HP. He's also on the record, more than once now, of trying to slip Nervos back into the game when no one is paying too much attention. When Scorpions were introduced and were bugged to the point where they could grapple you, instantly, through walls across any distance instantly and hold you in place indefinitely - his response as a developer was to "get good". Rollers used to do damage every frame of contact to you, or to an objective meaning they would end defend missions near instantly just by casually touching the objective. He defended that as well. This is just the top of the iceberg too. That rhino nerf I posted about? His great idea "to add challenge to the frame's playstyle". Basically every bad idea is rooted in DE_Steve.
Is DE_Steve and Goldfarb (formally Overkill/PayDay 2) the same person? They sound like the same person.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Goldfarb at least did few good things, few, but they were there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If they make another Souls game and it's as fast as the last two, then they should get rid of the input-queue. Bloodborne had a short one, but DS3 has one the same length as DS1 and DS2 despite the increased pace of combat. It sucks to punished for rolling straight into an enemy's attack because the action you took made sense 1.5 seconds ago but is suicide now and you can't change your mind.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting rid of the input queue wholesale isn’t the solution, it just needs to be sane like the other games. I have no idea why they made it so long relative to how much faster everything is in dark souls 3. Idk if the queue’s longer than before or it’s just the pace of the game, but it sure feels a whole lot longer

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If they make another Souls game and it's as fast as the last two, then they should get rid of the input-queue. Bloodborne had a short one, but DS3 has one the same length as DS1 and DS2 despite the increased pace of combat. It sucks to punished for rolling straight into an enemy's attack because the action you took made sense 1.5 seconds ago but is suicide now and you can't change your mind.
DS3 isn't a great game. It's better than 2 at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is a rendition of the audio during a boosted morale/traitor mission in Hyrule Warriors:

Gong

gong

gong

gong

gong

he-heeeyaaaaa

gong

gong

he-heeeeyyyaaa

gong

gong

gong

gong

he-heeeeyyyaaa

For 3 straight loving minutes as all 20 of your captains are getting knocked to in trouble, then into danger, then fleeing one after another. And of course each one announcing their retreat with their soundbite playing. The boosted morale one has all your captains spread around the entire map right next to a bunch of enemy captains who stomp them, the traitors one just has basic rear end troops turn coat right on top of your captains with a morale boost, meaning your captains get their rear end kicked by regular rear end mooks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only Hyrule Warriors version I played was the original WiiU release but I’m sure they’ve never rebalanced anything. Adventure mode gets stupidly unfair pretty quickly and never unfucks itself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RyokoTK posted:

The only Hyrule Warriors version I played was the original WiiU release but I’m sure they’ve never rebalanced anything. Adventure mode gets stupidly unfair pretty quickly and never unfucks itself.

They totally rebalanced it though

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’m genuinely surprised to hear that. What did they do?

Getting top ranks on the Twilight or Termina maps was practically an act of god in the original release.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They changed how damage worked for ranking. Before it was like a flat if you lose 4 hearts you didn't get an A, now its a percentage of your total HP. Which is great cause otherwise it made hearts completely useless. Its great, you can actually get hit now. But man, I really wish they didn't just set captains up in areas to instantly be routed and then spam me with the sound effects for minutes straight.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't see why people have problems with Dark Souls 3, it's everything fans of the series wanted: More of the original Dark Souls!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always lock on to him and find phase 1 really easy so maybe that's your problem.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The Switch one is a huge improvement in a ton of small ways. I didn't like it on Wii U but I love it on Switch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Switch one is a huge improvement in a ton of small ways. I didn't like it on Wii U but I love it on Switch.

Being able to buy item cards once you've earned them once is a huge improvement over having to replay stages to get more. That alone makes adventure mode way better. Also 60 FPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

I don't see why people have problems with Dark Souls 3, it's everything fans of the series wanted: More of the original Dark Souls!

The problem with that is a lot of DS3's "You wanted more of this right?" stuff felt kind of hokey and not intentionally in some "gently caress you player" thing, just like "Please like our new game, see, we brought back this and that and these and this is just like that!" Also I've said it before but a big problem with a bunch of DS3's encounters is that they practically straight lifted Bloodborne enemies, but you don't have Bloodborne mobility anymore, so you've got a deal of enemies who do a "GET OFF ME" crazy blender attack that you'd see pretty frequently in BB, but in BB you had a definite level of high agility and the enemies were made with that in-mind, so you could disengage or use your ranged parry or whatever there, which you just don't have in DS3, so if you get vacuumed into a few of those enemies attacks in DS3 you get clobbered by it.

Also 2 > 3 easily, in it's desperation to bring back all of DS1, 3 forgot to bring back the best weapon in the entire series, the Bone Fist.