Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

Dear Doctor and many many other Star Trek episodes are handicapped by the twin weird beliefs

1) Evolution is predetermined and has a "natural" course.
2) because this course is "natural" it is a moral obligation to not disrupt it.

Treating evolution as some sort of weird atheist predestination is a common problem in bad sci-fi but Star Trek gets struck by it more often than most.

The problem with that is that going off the logic of the Voyager episode "Threshold", human beings will eventually evolve into salamanders, which doesn't seem accurate.

I remember SFDebris did a series of videos covering the worst episodes of each Trek series. TNG got 'Code of Honor', Voyager I think got Threshold, and Enterprise got 'A Night in Sickbay'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

The problem with that is that going off the logic of the Voyager episode "Threshold", human beings will eventually evolve into salamanders, which doesn't seem accurate.

I remember SFDebris did a series of videos covering the worst episodes of each Trek series. TNG got 'Code of Honor', Voyager I think got Threshold, and Enterprise got 'A Night in Sickbay'.

I will tell you for free that Threshold is not the worst episode of Voyager. It's just outrageously stupid.

You want truly terrible, you gotta dig down a little and watch the unsalvageable trainwrecks that are Lineage and Repentance in season 7.

Lineage is about Torres dealing with her baby going to be 1/4 Klingon and having forehead ridges. She does so by reminiscing about a camping trip with her dad, uncle and cousins, throwing a whopper of a tantrum because "THEY HATED HER FOR BEING HALF KLINGON!" :qq:. The youngest cousin of the three gave her a worm-filled sandwich as a childish prank, the other two treated her fine and kept trying to make things up with her because their youngest brother was a wretched little poo poo. The other argument was her Daddy left her because she was half-Klingon, and the flashback makes it pretty clear he was having trouble with her mother, and she was turning into a teenager. Normal poo poo anyone sane would've gotten over years ago. You know, sometime before being in your 30's.

But that's just the framing device. You see, she spends the episode trying to get the Doctor to genetically alter all those pesky traits out of her unborn daughter, which is already a MAJOR no-no in Star Trek (and DS9 covers the topic very well). It also gets very uncomfortable when she starts editing a hologram of how her daughter will look around ten years old and isn't happy until she's blonde with blue eyes :godwin:. The episode ends with her reprogramming the Doctor (you know, their sentient friend) to want to do the procedure and locking herself behind a forcefield to stop Security interfering. You know, like a sane person worthy of a Command position would do.

Now, let's talk about Repentance. Incidentally, it's the very next episode.

Repentance sees Voyager assisting a derelict and winding up having to transport prisoners on death row. So you get the usual diatribe about capital punishment, but where it goes south is the episode gets racist. Really, really overtly racist. See, a prisoner gets the poo poo kicked out of him, taken to Sickbay for treatment, and in the process they accidentally undo a neurological issue that prevented him from feeling remorse. Suddenly he feels guilt for his many murders, etc, etc. While on the other hand, turns out there's a second alien race on their planet. The total population is only about 10% of the global population, but they're apparently three times more likely to be convicted of a violent crime. They're also have a dark skin tone. This guy pleads innocence aaalll the way through the episode and seems like a perfectly decent guy... until his brother rocks up in a ship to jailbreak him and he happily murders a warden during the breakout attempt. Because you see, the white guy was just mental ill, while all the dark-skinned aliens really are brutal criminals :pseudo:.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The conflict in "Sub Rosa" is resolved when Geordie and Data sneak out into a churchyard in the dead of night and dig up an old lady's grave.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The conflict in "Sub Rosa" is resolved when Geordie and Data sneak out into a churchyard in the dead of night and dig up an old lady's grave.

Don’t forget that the energy being ghost possesses the dead old lady’s body and attacks Geordie! That was hilarious and I wouldn’t blame Allison for doing that episode just for that scene.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The guy who played the sex ghost also played Zorro in the early 90s syndicated Zorro TV series (which I think was Disney?) which is a show often overshadowed by Highlander, Hercules and Xena despite managing to get about five seasons or so.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Max Wilco posted:

I thought they had devolved. :confused:

Doesn't matter I guess.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 8, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Doesn't matter I guess.

That was Genesis in TNG. The one with spider Barclay.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

lornekates posted:

One of the reasons I will never post a video to Facebook. I'll gladly upload a video to an vid hosting site (Vimeo, in my case), and share the embed. But never, ever, ever direct to Facebook.

I'm shocked Facebook hasn't been sued out the rear end for doing this. I mean, FFS, I can't take a 5 second clip from a 10 year old Simpsons episode and post it to Youtube without seventy three bots making GBS threads themselves-- but Facebook can take content creator's video and pirate it wholesale.

This is true for a lot of the web - people abandoned their websites because facebook meant people wouldn't have to find it, it'd just end up on their feeds. Once a straight www was no longer the way to go, the prices go up and people are stuck to be seen at all without paying for every post.

Facebook's video takedowns are just slow enough to make sure you lose that initial revenue bump with no recourse or ability to monetize that in the first place. I had friends lose hundreds of thousands of views over that.

Also, Viacom bought Vidcon: http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/viacom-acquires-vidcon-conference-official-1202690303/

I was waiting for the moment astroturfed YouTuber stars started showing up in droves; I guess this is as good a time as any.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

No it's the one where basically nothing happens other than "Worf has parenting issues and Troi's mom is annoying"

I think there's some conflict with a planet or something but all I can focus on is stupid poo poo like this:

That's the best episode in the show.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lwaxana taking a child on a date to the orgy planet owns

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

stillvisions posted:

This is true for a lot of the web - people abandoned their websites because facebook meant people wouldn't have to find it, it'd just end up on their feeds. Once a straight www was no longer the way to go, the prices go up and people are stuck to be seen at all without paying for every post.

Facebook's video takedowns are just slow enough to make sure you lose that initial revenue bump with no recourse or ability to monetize that in the first place. I had friends lose hundreds of thousands of views over that.

Also, Viacom bought Vidcon: http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/viacom-acquires-vidcon-conference-official-1202690303/

I was waiting for the moment astroturfed YouTuber stars started showing up in droves; I guess this is as good a time as any.

Oh, Hank and John Green sold out to a megacorp? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

This girl rules, she's like June Diane Raphael except she makes me laugh instead of annoying the poo poo out of me.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

The guy who played the sex ghost also played Zorro in the early 90s syndicated Zorro TV series (which I think was Disney?) which is a show often overshadowed by Highlander, Hercules and Xena despite managing to get about five seasons or so.

:eyepop:

Five seasons? I didn't think it finished even one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro_(1990_TV_series)

Looks like it got four seasons aired before wrapping up. Wow, good for the folks working on the show.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

Dear Doctor and many many other Star Trek episodes are handicapped by the twin weird beliefs

1) Evolution is predetermined and has a "natural" course.
2) because this course is "natural" it is a moral obligation to not disrupt it.

Treating evolution as some sort of weird atheist predestination is a common problem in bad sci-fi but Star Trek gets struck by it more often than most.

It helps that "do nothing" is also often cheaper to animate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baka-nin posted:

:eyepop:

Five seasons? I didn't think it finished even one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro_(1990_TV_series)

Looks like it got four seasons aired before wrapping up. Wow, good for the folks working on the show.

Well, I wasn't too far off. That's not a bad run.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

lwaxana taking a child on a date to the orgy planet owns

Gonna have to be more specific than that, there have been at least four, maybe five of those planets in Star Trek.

That Zorro guy also showed up in DS9 as a resistance hero/love interest for Kira/Prime Minister.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Doesn't matter I guess.

Evolution doesn't have a direction, so to get salamanders out of humans you could get either way. Of course going back would be infinitely more reasonable, since we know if we just go back far enough we indeed end up with salamander-like creatures, the way forward is a complete unknown. And if you think about this logically, whatever happened in that Star Trek episode is contingent on local evolutionary pressure and has about zero value when contemplating what humans as a species would evolve into.

Besides that, everything in that episode is also contingent on evolution working like magic, so everything makes total sense as long as you remember that for that episode, Star Trek essentially skipped genres into fantasy. :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Libluini posted:

Besides that, everything in that episode is also contingent on evolution working like magic, so everything makes total sense as long as you remember that for that episode, Star Trek essentially skipped genres into fantasy. :v:

The behind the scenes plot was that witches were just turning people into newts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That was the one that the series itself decanonised by having a character declare in a later episode that one of the events in it never actually happened.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Linear Zoetrope posted:

The behind the scenes plot was that witches were just turning people into newts.

I got better!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/958030314323968001

The video that prompted that tweet has been posted today! Luckily Joel's on vacation in Japan, so he'll miss out on the weirdos spamming that link to him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol I didn't know H3 did multiple, different, interviews with Professor Pronoun Crybaby

https://twitter.com/petercoffin/status/961792244083720192

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

If Peterson proves anything, it's the power of presentation. The man's a fool who talks utter nonsense, but he manages to do so in a manner that tricks the weak and gullible into taking him very seriously and proclaiming him a genius. There's no need to have anything valuable or interesting to say when you can just lean back in a chair, clasp your hands together and pretend like the nonsensical drivel you are saying is anything other than inane biotruth garbage easily debunked by anyone that actually has any knowledge of the subjects at hand.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which did lead to a bunch of lefty podcast types to start pondering about what could possibly be his appeal, namely Ricky Rawls and Shuja Haider. In a way that doesn't quite factor how youtube/twitch watching / observing works. This sounds nuts but Slowbeef has to be there to explain how exactly this stuff works to them or else it's going to be another week of "We need the PewDiePie... OF THE LEFT!" and "We need the Peterson... OF THE LEFT!!" and "We need Content Cop... OF THE LEFT!!1" or the most weirdly cynical and desperate way possible. Christ. It's not even me dismissing the idea of seeing if there's something they're missing or whatever, it's just that proposing this stuff in opposition just comes across as "Hey you dumb rubes, check out the same stuff but stated by someone who isn't hosed up."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 9, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Karloff posted:

If Peterson proves anything, it's the power of presentation. The man's a fool who talks utter nonsense, but he manages to do so in a manner that tricks the weak and gullible into taking him very seriously and proclaiming him a genius. There's no need to have anything valuable or interesting to say when you can just lean back in a chair, clasp your hands together and pretend like the nonsensical drivel you are saying is anything other than inane biotruth garbage easily debunked by anyone that actually has any knowledge of the subjects at hand.

it really rules that a bunch of new atheist stemlords love a guy who's just a really boring Tony Perkins type but he wears jeans and a blazer so it's cool and hip. Like, the things he says that aren't absurd poo poo like 'women wearing makeup is why they get harassed because red lips signal men that they're aroused' and 'this law that has prosecuted zero people will lead to armed cops kicking my door in forcing me to use some wacky pronoun no one actually identifies as' are all just really boring self help things. Like, he goes from 'clean your room' and 'you have to WANT to succeed' to 'WOMEN SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE WORKPLACE'.

I have no idea how the Champagne Sharks dude is that 'of the left' though or why he needs Slowbeef to tell him why he's bad...

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I didn't say that he has to be explained to why he's bad, I was saying that someone like SB should tell them how folk consume those sorts of videos / game streaming.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just don't even see how he's trying to be that dude of the left at all, unless the Sharks' patreon feed is some wild poo poo their podcast is just a normal leftist podcast with a heavy focus on black community perspectives and issues?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He made this thread a couple days ago, which in the middle someone tells him about Jordan Peterson being interviewed by YT celebs:

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/961290142530056192

Which ended on this post:

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/961304468422909952

Serf
May 5, 2011

i mean he ain't wrong. youtube is crawling with reactionary shitheads who are "non-political" in the sense that they assume a superficial right-wing view of the world is "no politics"

scratch a youtuber and you'll find a fascist

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the problem is that reactionary right wing politics are just easier and more satisfying, the idea that "everything you know is wrong and you have to make hard changes to be a better person" isn't the sort of thing a kid wants to hear unless they're a real rebel type, most of the right wing politics on youtube are filtered through the lens of "just leave us alone" which is a really attractive idea for shithead teenagers

ultimately I think this is why the left loses so hard to the right so much; being a good person is hard, it takes work

confronting the idea that you might be a bad person isn't something people actually do all that often

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Logan Paul just had his entire channel demonetized.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
subscribe to my patreon

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Logan: {fucks around with a corpse}
Everyone: WTF?!?!
YouTube: ...
Advertisers: That's bad.
YouTube: Logan, that's bad. We're reducing your ad revenue. Don't do that again.
Logan: {fucks around with a corpse}
YouTube: ...
Advertisers: Um...
YouTube: right right right. Demonitized.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/BennettTheSage/status/961754760029220864/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbenthesage.com%2F

Holy crap way to go, Bennett. He's transforming into Jim Holden from the Expanse.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first video since he comes back from playing with a corpse in the woods and he's torturing a dying fish and tasing a dead rat. Wow man, I think your brain gone all broke!

Calico Heart posted:

So I made three videos all getting around 250 views, and then two weeks ago I make a Star Wars video that gets 2.3k in three days. Maybe I shoul sell my soul and just make Star Wars content - thoughts???

Anyway, I made a video about the new Cloverfield movie, and how it might be the first ever example of "Cinamatic Clickbait"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFN7ftg4974

I actually thought this was pretty good and subscribed, it's an interesting take I never really considered as I have come to really, really dislike this movie.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Thompsons posted:

This girl rules, she's like June Diane Raphael except she makes me laugh instead of annoying the poo poo out of me.

Honest question: What do you have against June?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

Muy excellente

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cat doter posted:

the problem is that reactionary right wing politics are just easier and more satisfying, the idea that "everything you know is wrong and you have to make hard changes to be a better person" isn't the sort of thing a kid wants to hear unless they're a real rebel type, most of the right wing politics on youtube are filtered through the lens of "just leave us alone" which is a really attractive idea for shithead teenagers

ultimately I think this is why the left loses so hard to the right so much; being a good person is hard, it takes work

confronting the idea that you might be a bad person isn't something people actually do all that often

Yeah, recently ran into a guy who simplified all his anti lgbtq, anti trans, anti "liberal bs" with "If it aint broke, dont fix it!"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

The first video since he comes back from playing with a corpse in the woods and he's torturing a dying fish and tasing a dead rat. Wow man, I think your brain gone all broke!

I guess Team Ten is turning into a Dark Triad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Conal Cochran posted:

Honest question: What do you have against June?

My main exposure to her is through How Did This Get Made, which is a goofy bad movie podcast I used to love but fell off of pretty hard over the years. I mean in general I don't think Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas were doing much to make me want to keep at it, but I got really, really sick of Raphael because it just devolved to the point where every single episode is her doing a bit of just pretending to not understand anything about any movie they're watching. I think for the Street Fighter one she might've actually done the "but if they're STREET fighters why isn't there any street fighting" and by then I'd just had enough of it. Like every time it was her asking some inane question as a joke and it was never funny for me.

• Locked thread