Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This classic article covers most of it, but the tl;dr is that Germany didn't have any way to transport troops to Britain or support them if they got there, and what little planning for the operation that did occur indicates that it would have been a collosal disaster.

This is still my favorite article. I think the best part is where they only had enough life vests for one wave, so they told the soldiers "Just take them off and throw them back on the boats so we can reuse them!" But there were two problems:

1. The life vests were worn under their packs, so they needed to remove their packs to take the life vests off before they could actually get around to shooting back at the British.

2. Nobody had been assigned to bring the life vests back to the barges and the barges were given strict orders to leave immediately after the troops were out, so in practice every life vest for the entire invasion would have either been in a pile on the beach or floating on a corpse after the first wave.

Also, the Free Republic thread had some neat analysis of how a Red vs. Blue civil war in the United States would go and someone suggested a Hearts of Iron-style wargame be made about it (like how even if the right-wing rural areas hold lots of oil fields and farms, these are separate from one another and smuggling supply lines would be necessary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cessna posted:

In contrast he had a German army he'd made as a "OPFOR" army to loan out to potential opponents. They were painted with thick black spraypaint. When they were eliminated in the game, he's toss them across the table into their storage container, a cardboard box with the word "FASCISTS" scrawled on the side.

And here I thought I couldn't like the guy any more than I already do.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, the Free Republic thread had some neat analysis of how a Red vs. Blue civil war in the United States would go and someone suggested a Hearts of Iron-style wargame be made about it (like how even if the right-wing rural areas hold lots of oil fields and farms, these are separate from one another and smuggling supply lines would be necessary).

More accurate analysis: "Holy poo poo, it is hot out here, and I have to carry HOW much on my back, and I can't use my phone at ALL? Guys this sucks, I am going home, I thought this would be more like me getting to use my tricked out AR to cap liberals"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Even more accurate analysis: Everyone dies! The end, no moral.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

More accurate analysis: "Holy poo poo, it is hot out here, and I have to carry HOW much on my back, and I can't use my phone at ALL? Guys this sucks, I am going home, I thought this would be more like me getting to use my tricked out AR to cap liberals"

Oh yeah, the realistic ending is inevitably all the "fighters" saying "Gee, I'd love to help out but I've got this dad-gummed bum knee and I need insulin, but I'm supporting you from afar!"

I just think rural vs. urban civil war would be a neat wargame, dealing with supply lines guarded by federal government vehicles and the lack of resources that cities ordinarily provide (like factory parts and refined fuels). It would be an experiment in how long the rural insurgency could last and how much damage it could do before collapsing.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
What uniforms are these dapper ladies wearing?

Are they likely to be wearing them because they serve in whatever force wears said uniforms or is this a ye olde cosplay thing?

e: seriously tho peep that jaunty angle of her fancy plumed hat

bloom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, the realistic ending is inevitably all the "fighters" saying "Gee, I'd love to help out but I've got this dad-gummed bum knee and I need insulin, but I'm supporting you from afar!"

I just think rural vs. urban civil war would be a neat wargame, dealing with supply lines guarded by federal government vehicles and the lack of resources that cities ordinarily provide (like factory parts and refined fuels). It would be an experiment in how long the rural insurgency could last and how much damage it could do before collapsing.

You just make the rurals live in walled villages divided into units of 1000 each and hold clan leaders accountable for everyone with their family name. If that doesn't work you just execute all family within 9 degrees of relation. Bing bong so simple.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bloom posted:

Are they likely to be wearing them because they serve in whatever force wears said uniforms or is this a ye olde cosplay thing?

The one on the right is wearing a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czapka

I'm pretty sure, which giving the Cyrillic at the bottom of the picture implies Polish/Russian cavalry (lancers).

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

bloom posted:

It was a thing that members of the royal family would have a regiment that was nominally "theirs". Those guys are probably romanovs, from the double eagle and the Russian Federal Archive watermark, but this is Viktoria Luise of Preußen:

in the uniform of the 2nd life guard hussars that she was technically commanding.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

chitoryu12 posted:

The most recent wave of secessionist bluster was out of California, so a more realistic scenario would be a federal army full of southern rednecks marching on San Francisco as they desperately try to retool the Juicero factory to make munitions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tunicate posted:

There's a similar gag about top gear, noting that the moment a Scottish or Welsh person becomes famous or notable for anything good, they change to being from scotland or wales to being from the united kingdom.

This is a running joke about Irish people too, except with a smidge more bitterness.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just thread FYI: The Death of Stalin is now in limited Art house release in the USA

deleted scenes

The cold war thread has been discussing it, subject has turned to educating people what a monster Beria was :shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just thread FYI: The Death of Stalin is now in limited Art house release in the USA

deleted scenes

The cold war thread has been discussing it, subject has turned to educating people what a monster Beria was :shepface:

I'm really annoyed since it played last friday in Ann Arbor and I didn't take the opportunity to see it, and now it's not listed as playing anywhere near me anytime soon.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

deleted scenes

Isaacs plays a wonderful Zhukov in this film. Just hilarious one liners in every scene hes in.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Got burnt out a teensy bit after that long entry.

JcDent posted:

The maps should be placed before the big part, I think.

Noted, thanks.

JcDent posted:

If it's all OK, I'd like to share the post on my blog.

Feel free. Might want to take a glance through for silly errors (made by me - I try to leave as much of the original in there as regards spelling etc. It seems that the army had decided that they had paid extra for those typewriters with full stops and shift keys and they better get full use out of them , dammit!)

13th KRRC War Diary, 10th Mar 1918 posted:

Everything is more or less quiet now and the usual routine proceeds. Many bombs, stores, Very Lights, S.O.S. Rockets etc. are being sent up to the Companies. Rations were taken up to "B" and "D" Companies by a party from "A" and "C" Coys under 2nd Lieut TAYLOR, who has reported from leave.
"B" Coy sent out a patrol at 2.15 a.m. under 2nd Lieut YATES with 7 other ranks. They left No. 5 post and proceeded down the left edge of CAMBRON COVERT to the REUTELBEEL. On arriving there they found a broken plank bridge by which they crossed, and on the other side found the body of a partially naked man recently killed. They patrolled about 100 yds of the REUTELBEEK and then struck some enemy wire. Here they listened for 30 minutes but nothing was heard. The Patrol returned at about 4.30 a.m. "D" Coy also sent out a Patrol under 2nd Lieut HARRIS consisting of 4 Scouts. They left at 2.30 a.m. from CAMBRON HOUSE. An enemy working party was heard and an old sap head was discovered and reconnoitred. No enemy were seen during this patrol and it returned at 4.30 am.

13th KRRC War Diary, 11th Mar 1918 posted:

RESERVE AREA.
The Battalion was relieved in the Line by the 13th R.Bs. Advance parties were sent up and took over at about 3 p.m. After dark the Battalion came up and as the Coys were relieved they marched back to reserve at MANAWATU CAMP. "B" Coy was gassed very slightly during the relief.
MANAWATU CAMP is near Shrapnel Corner and is composed of Nissen huts.
Two Working Parties had to be found consisting of 1 Offr and 25 O.R. from the remnants of A and C Coys and these came back to Reserve after completing their tasks.

13th KRRC War Diary, 12th Mar 1918 posted:

The day was at the disposal of the Coy Commanders. Baths were allotted to the Battalion at VIVJERHOEK and about 150 men were bathed and received clean clothes.
A Working Party of 1 Offr and 50 other ranks had to be found for salvaging, and in the evening two parties of 1 Offr and 25 other ranks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

aphid_licker posted:

It was a thing that members of the royal family would have a regiment that was nominally "theirs". Those guys are probably romanovs, from the double eagle and the Russian Federal Archive watermark, but this is Viktoria Luise of Preußen:

in the uniform of the 2nd life guard hussars that she was technically commanding.

Also it looks like the Cyrillic across the bottom makes a clear reference to Russia (POCCNNCKON, something like 'Rossiyaskoi/Rossiyaskaya' I think?)

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Also it looks like the Cyrillic across the bottom makes a clear reference to Russia (POCCNNCKON, something like 'Rossiyaskoi/Rossiyaskaya' I think?)

It translates to "State Archive of the Russian Federation".

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
In hindsight I feel like a dumb-dumb for not spotting the double eagle. In my defense, whiskey.

Still curious if someone can figure out exactly who they and their regiments were.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kopijeger posted:

It translates to "State Archive of the Russian Federation".

Oh, that's what the other poster meant by the Russian archive watermark. Welp, that probably doesn't identify it cleanly one way or the other beyond showing it is held within the post-Soviet Russian archives, unless Imperial or Soviet Russia ever called itself a 'Federation.'

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bloom posted:

In hindsight I feel like a dumb-dumb for not spotting the double eagle. In my defense, whiskey.

Still curious if someone can figure out exactly who they and their regiments were.

Do a Google reverse image search and you'll find out that it's the grand duchesses Olga and Tatyana Nikolaevna, daughters of Nick II. Olga was the nominal head of her namesake hussar regiment and Tatyana had an ulan regiment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bloom posted:

https://velkokneznamaria.deviantart.com/art/Hussar-and-Uhlan-102739882

There you go. Note the dates of death of both women - they presumably got shot in a basement. :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The one on the left is easy, It is the Prussian Hussar regiment that used the deaths head insignia before the SS decided it was cool.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

Olga was the nominal head of her namesake hussar regiment and Tatyana had an ulan regiment.

Think they ever had their regiments fight each other?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

https://velkokneznamaria.deviantart.com/art/Hussar-and-Uhlan-102739882

There you go. Note the dates of death of both women - they presumably got shot in a basement. :ohdear:

Arent those two of the Romanov daughters? In which case they definitely got murdered.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

bloom posted:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B3%D0%B0_%D0%9D%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B0_(%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%BA%D0%BD%D1%8F%D0%B6%D0%BD%D0%B0)

Великие княжны Ольга и Татьяна Николаевны в парадных мундирах «своих» подшефных полков, 1910 год.

Grand, uh, Knjashes, I think that's a Duke, Olga and Tatjana Nikolajewitsh in Parade, uh, presumably dress/uniform of "their" podshefnich, no idea, squadrons, 1910 year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchess_Olga_Nikolaevna_of_Russia

Knjaz is a Duke, Knjazhna is a Duchess, Knjazhni are apparently Duchesses so I learned multiple things today.

I can't find anything about what regiment they nominally commanded in the english wiki and reading cyrillic gives me major migraine bc I'm so bad at it so :saddowns:

e: beaten like a Romanov in a basement

e:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The most recent wave of secessionist bluster was out of California, so a more realistic scenario would be a federal army full of southern rednecks marching on San Francisco as they desperately try to retool the Juicero factory to make munitions.
Would watch this show on Netflix

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 12, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

rossiyskoy, if anyone is curious

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Arent those two of the Romanov daughters? In which case they definitely got murdered.

Yep. That was exactly my point.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

Do a Google reverse image search and you'll find out that it's the grand duchesses Olga and Tatyana Nikolaevna, daughters of Nick II. Olga was the nominal head of her namesake hussar regiment and Tatyana had an ulan regiment.

Thank you both.

feedmegin posted:

they presumably got shot in a basement. :ohdear:

oh noooooo :smith: Tatyana and her jaunty czapka deserved better goddamnit.

On that note, I wonder why wearing headgear at a funny angle seems to be so lastingly popular. I'm basing this entirely on the source of my rear end, but I'd swear I've seen photos of people wearing various hats in a rude and rowdy fashion from pretty much every time and place since photos were invented. There must have been roman legionnaires back in the day getting yelled at for wearing their helmets like assholes. And you just know HG's dudes had some next level ways of putting on a fancy feathered hat.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Gosudarstvennoi arkhiv rossiskoi federazii. Kind of a bummer that I stopped learning Russian, it was fun.

e: I mean not that anything is stopping me from picking it up again but :effort:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The jaunty hat has always been a tongue in cheek thing through history and I love it.

It looks pimping on shakos.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
On a completely different note, I know there's a few finns itt(weirdly large amount of finns on SA in general), and I'm wondering if any of you happen to know how legit of a historian Lasse Laaksonen is? Quick googling tells me he teaches at Helsinki Uni and has been published a bunch of times before, but I'm nowhere near enough of an academic to know if that means poo poo.

Reason I ask is because I'm currently waiting to get his Viina, hermot, rangaistukset : sotilasylijohdon henkilökohtaiset ongelmat 1918-1945(Booze, nerves and punishments: Personal problems of military high command 1918-1945) from the library and I'm curious how confidently I can quote funny anecdotes from it.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Grand, uh, Knjashes, I think that's a Duke, Olga and Tatjana Nikolajewitsh in Parade, uh, presumably dress/uniform of "their" podshefnich, no idea, squadrons, 1910 year.

Knjaz is a Duke, Knjazhna is a Duchess, Knjazhni are apparently Duchesses so I learned multiple things today.

Knjaz is usually translated as "Prince". The female version is княгиня (knjagina), but a княжна (knjazjna) is the daughter of a knjaz. Podsjefnyj means something like "under patronage", while polk usually means regiment. So they are daughters of the grand prince wearing the uniform of the regiments under their patronage.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Knjaz is usually translated as "Prince". The female version is княгиня (knjagina), but a княжна (knjazjna) is the daughter of a knjaz. Podsjefnyj means something like "under patronage", while polk usually means regiment. So they are daughters of the grand prince wearing the uniform of the regiments under their patronage.

Whoops. Thanks!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bewbies posted:

Showing up to the revolution like

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Monday 12th March

Fuel situation critical and the soup was cooked by sawing up the eaves of the cookhouse. Parcel issue tomorrow & henceforth 1 parcel per week per man. Camp officials are trying to further a ‘keep-fit’ campaign. P.T. & soccer etc. General opinion regards this scheme premature & ambitious yet it takes me all my time to circuit bash.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bloom posted:

On a completely different note, I know there's a few finns itt(weirdly large amount of finns on SA in general), and I'm wondering if any of you happen to know how legit of a historian Lasse Laaksonen is? Quick googling tells me he teaches at Helsinki Uni and has been published a bunch of times before, but I'm nowhere near enough of an academic to know if that means poo poo.

Reason I ask is because I'm currently waiting to get his Viina, hermot, rangaistukset : sotilasylijohdon henkilökohtaiset ongelmat 1918-1945(Booze, nerves and punishments: Personal problems of military high command 1918-1945) from the library and I'm curious how confidently I can quote funny anecdotes from it.

Lehtonen is legit, his dissertation (published in book form as Todellisuus ja harhat) about the final days of Winter War deals largely with the personal conflicts of the generals. :justpost:

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

bloom posted:

I'm not really knowledgeable of the academic side of history so I'm unable to evaluate his scientific output. He's a a docent in a bunch of places and the standard for that is commonly something like "research output worth two good PhDs". Most of his works seem to be about Winter War.

How familiar are you with the concept of docenture in the Finnish academia? Since about 2010 its simply an additional honorific and not a staff position or anything like that. His ORCID page says he is currently a docent in the University of Helsinki, but the staff listing only has an email address without a staff position and lists him under "outsiders". In the University of Eastern Finland he is similarly listed as a docent but does not seem to hold any staff positions. The National Defense University rather obviously does not have a public facing personnel listing so :shrug:

At the least he has done a few PhDs worth of solid research.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I publicly take offense to the transliterations posted in this thread

gosudarstvenn'y arkhiv rossiyskoy federatsiy

we post in english therefore the transliteration should ape english pronunciation as hard as possible.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Loezi posted:

How familiar are you with the concept of docenture in the Finnish academia?

So unfamiliar I find it hard to express in words. Had a brief fling with higher education when I was young, quickly realized I'd much rather do physical labor for a living and read interesting things as a hobby.

Anyway I'll be sure to translate a few choice bits from the book for this thread, since my lurking tells me ya'll are extremely into generals(all soldiers, really) getting drunk and rowdy. May be a while though unless I can get my librarian buddy to punt me to the front of the reservation queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kopijeger posted:

the german word is regiments-inhaber/inhaberin