Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
The real secret is to buy another guitar to replace the one you're selling, then use the box from the new one for the old guitar. So far, I seem to have gotten really good at the first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Well goons, I may have been less than sober last night and possibly bought a reactive load someone builds in their garage. Assuming this doesn't destroy my amp or burn my house down, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternatives, will report back with clips when I get it.

If this sounds good and doesn't melt I'm probably about to go on a tube amp buying spree.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/rs/index.html

Facebook's targeted ads are really nailing it for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The revstars are all gorgeous, but Yamaha needs to learn how to make a left handed guitar.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

2700 bucks for an incomplete guitar - what a deal! https://m.samash.com/g6131-my-malcolm-young-signature-jet-electric-guitar-g1916821x-p?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Having tried one I liked it a lot more than I ever expected to. Being open like that makes it nice and audible when not plugged in obviously.

Never gonna buy one though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

2700 bucks for an incomplete guitar - what a deal!

well yeah it's missing the dirty socks stuffed in the pickup cavities

presumably they leave that up to the consumer

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

well yeah it's missing the dirty socks stuffed in the pickup cavities

presumably they leave that up to the consumer

For 2700 bucks they really should be including reliced tone socks.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Anyone played a Jackson SLX3? Thinking of picking one up and want opinions.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Looking to step up my education, and was thinking about purchasing Justin Guitar’s intermediate course package. Has anyone used it, and have any opinions? Are there any good online paid courses or instructional apps or anything?

I’d get an instructor, but I’m currently working weird shifts at work which makes that option difficult at the moment.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H13 posted:

So I'm a guitar player for over 10 years and I'm having an issue with my Les Paul that I've never had before...

I play in classical position (Right handed, guitar sitting on left knee). For some reason, the edge of the guitar is cutting into my picking arm near the elbow. When I'm digging in a little to get the BROOTZ, the guitar seems to be cutting off circulation to my arm.

This is new to me and never happened before. Anybody else had this weirdness? Suggestions?
I had this with my telecaster, and it got to the point where I couldn’t play it for very long at all. Guitar forums (other than this one) being what they are, the suggestions for other people having the same problem were “suck it up, pussy” and “it’s a perfect design, why do you hate perfection” with the occasional “gain some weight” thrown in. I was able to get some relief with some stretches/rehab for golfer’s elbow, but I ended up getting rid of the Tele. I miss it a bit now though, so I might be right back in this boat someday.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Looking to step up my education, and was thinking about purchasing Justin Guitar’s intermediate course package. Has anyone used it, and have any opinions? Are there any good online paid courses or instructional apps or anything?

I’d get an instructor, but I’m currently working weird shifts at work which makes that option difficult at the moment.

What exactly do you want to learn?

I ask because I felt stuck at an intermediate level for years. I had a ton of books/videos that I'd bounce around until I really figured out what I wanted to play. I feel like once you get past the beginner level you want to start specializing in a genre, since every genre has its own technical and stylistic quirks. No point wasting time with extreme sweep picking if you mostly wanna play blues, etc. I really started to make progress again once I got really into the genre(s) I'm interested in.

(Which isn't to say that exploring other styles isn't very useful for your development.)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If the hard edge on a Tele is bothering you, put in an elbow cut like a strat has. Carving up your guitar makes it look 1000% more badass, this is a proven fact and is science.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fender makes Teles with the elbow cut now IIRC

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I don't think so. I see the American Elite has the tummy cut, but nothing for the elbow. I know with my Deluxe the tummy cut really is a nice enough break from the solid plank of my Classic Vibe. It would be kind of cool to try an elbow cut on that though.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Gnumonic's got some good advice I should follow myself. Learning a bunch of songs from a genre really does seem like a good idea.

As far as a platform for learning, I've tried both Ultimate-Guitar Pro and Fender Play. UG Pro has a bunch of tabs, and kind of lets you on your own. There isn't much more to it than that. At $24.99 a year is hard to complain about though, the tabs really are good quality. Fender Play is definitely more guided, and I appreciate it more for some songs than others. It'd be worth trying, but it might be better geared toward the beginning guitarist.

I don't know about JustinGuitar, I've only got his beginning songbook, but he is well regarded. If there was a trial, it's definitely worth giving a go.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 2, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The $100 SX brand tele-like that I made Birdtele out of has an elbow and tummy cut, as well as God's Own Radius, 14"

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The $100 SX brand tele-like that I made Birdtele out of has an elbow and tummy cut, as well as God's Own Radius, 14"

Most of them seem to be slab bodies, but I did find this one, which not only has the elbow and tummy cuts and the 14" radius but also a bound maple fretboard. What a weird grab bag of features.
https://www.rondomusic.com/SX_Guitars_Furrian_MN_Ash_TBU.html

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Having seen the change in the classic vibe range for 2019 I decided to pick up one of the much vaunted 50s classic vibe teles in case they stopped production and they became expensive and hard to pick up.

The first two places I checked were sold out and the third cancelled my order (i am in the UK). Finally I got one and I am not disappointed. The build feels as good as my USA stratocaster, the neck is sublime and both pick ups sound great, richer and smoother than my start.

I does feel a bit like playing a large chunk of wood but not so much as a les paul. It also needed a bit of a set up but not too much.

Anyway, another recommendation to add to the pile.

(Butterscotch 4life).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Ahhh ok, I got confused between the belly cut and elbow rest.

I'm glad I hung on to my Pacifica. After playing the CV Tele for a while it's good to go back to a light alder strat with the cutouts. It's super comfy.

Dysgenesis posted:

Having seen the change in the classic vibe range for 2019 I decided to pick up one of the much vaunted 50s classic vibe teles in case they stopped production and they became expensive and hard to pick up.

The first two places I checked were sold out and the third cancelled my order (i am in the UK). Finally I got one and I am not disappointed. The build feels as good as my USA stratocaster, the neck is sublime and both pick ups sound great, richer and smoother than my start.

I does feel a bit like playing a large chunk of wood but not so much as a les paul. It also needed a bit of a set up but not too much.

Anyway, another recommendation to add to the pile.

(Butterscotch 4life).

Welcome to CV Squad. I have the white one.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Welcome to CV Squad. I have the white one.

The correct one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Anime Reference posted:

Most of them seem to be slab bodies, but I did find this one, which not only has the elbow and tummy cuts and the 14" radius but also a bound maple fretboard. What a weird grab bag of features.
https://www.rondomusic.com/SX_Guitars_Furrian_MN_Ash_TBU.html

That's pretty much exactly the one, but I guess they added neck binding? Anyway the pickups and tuners were poo poo, and the pots were pretty grindy. Put in new stuff, it plays like a dream.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

For shits I actually grabbed my Schecter for the first time in like 8 years and played it. No elbow cut on it though, I played that guitar for like 2-3 years. After playing my Strat exclusively for so long my drat arm started hurting and I had a big rear end indentation when I was done playing. Super uncomfortable, pretty much sealed that guitars fate and any other without the elbow cut for me. Not sure I’ll ever buy another one though, I have an awesome Breedlove acoustic also.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Owning a Strat basically ruined every other guitar for me. Thx Leo.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
If I ever buy another ERG it needs a forearm contour. My Jackson just has a slight archtop and it still kinda digs in more than I'd like.

If I ever go fuckin' nuts I'll ask the local luthier to bolt the neck from it onto a Jazzmaster body and make myself a proper abomination, cuz I still haven't found a body type I like more than those.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nitsuga posted:

I don't think so. I see the American Elite has the tummy cut, but nothing for the elbow. I know with my Deluxe the tummy cut really is a nice enough break from the solid plank of my Classic Vibe. It would be kind of cool to try an elbow cut on that though.

They call it "bent top" apparently, there's a few custom shops with it

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I used to have issue with the Tele body after I got my custom - it seemed to have slightly sharper corners than a usual Tele and it has a thinner body depth equal to the original Esquiers. I even posted on some forums about it asking for advice. Now it is a total nonissue and I’m used to it. So my usual advice is “deal with it” in the most sympathetic way possible. However they do make armrests for telecasters that can be either drilled in or fixed with adhesive. I didn’t like the look because my Tele is really minimalist but it could look cool in addition to being functional for someone really bothered by the sharp angle where the top meets the side of the body. I sanded in a concept curve on my old MiM and hated it. I just don’t like the way it looks on a Tele and it ruined the aesthetic for me (not just due to me not knowing what I was doing but even on stock guitars that have it). To each their own though - whatever gets people playing a Tele, the guitar that ruined all other solid bodies for me. Leo got it right the first time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tele > Strat imo. I love my CV Custom

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

skooma512 posted:

gently caress that poo poo

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nitsuga posted:

Gnumonic's got some good advice I should follow myself. Learning a bunch of songs from a genre really does seem like a good idea.

As far as a platform for learning, I've tried both Ultimate-Guitar Pro and Fender Play. UG Pro has a bunch of tabs, and kind of lets you on your own. There isn't much more to it than that. At $24.99 a year is hard to complain about though, the tabs really are good quality. Fender Play is definitely more guided, and I appreciate it more for some songs than others. It'd be worth trying, but it might be better geared toward the beginning guitarist.

I don't know about JustinGuitar, I've only got his beginning songbook, but he is well regarded. If there was a trial, it's definitely worth giving a go.

Problem is that I’m all over the map, though I’d probably like to get better at blues and folk music, maybe throw some shredding in for good measure. I just want to be better versed in theory and skill, and do a bit of everything.

Tony polecastro was another one I was looking at, but I may just pull the trigger on the intermediate course and see where that goes. It’s only a hair under two months worth of lessons anyways.

I just wish I was more focused when I had an instructor or that he had some sort of plan or format. I wasted two years just going in and him being like what do you want to work on and me being like I don’t know, I just want to be better, and so probably 70% of said lessons were just me sitting there while he transcribed songs I wanted to know how to play. 25% was me talking to him about what was new in his life, and 5% was me fumbling through the new stuff he transcribed. I can’t say that it was all that great or useful, and now I just wish I had someone to get together and jam with, but I don’t feel like I’m good enough to go to open mic stuff and try to find other players who I could then play with to get better. Catch 22 I guess

What’s the secret sauce for finding other people in your area to play with anyways?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 3, 2019

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

OSU_Matthew posted:

probably 70% of said lessons were just me sitting there while he transcribed songs I wanted to know how to play

Ugh, this is why I quit taking lessons back when I was 13. He asked me what I wanted to learn and I said Hendrix, so I sat in the room with him while he tabbed out the intro to All Along The Watchtower by hand over the course of 30 minutes. The lessons were in the back of a music store; just go grab one of the tab books off the shelf!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's like having a driving instructor who spends the whole lesson mapping out a route for you to drive

Find someone else!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

There are some definite time wasters lovely teachers use and that is one of them. Writing stuff out is fine of course, and one of the pluses of having a teacher, but when it consumes a large portion of the lesson then they either aren’t managing time or are deliberately trying to eat up lesson time.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

OSU_Matthew posted:

What’s the secret sauce for finding other people in your area to play with anyways?

Never stop trying, start making craigslist postings and a band mix page or whatever. Put your phone number everywhere and answer it when people call despite if you think they would be a good fit or not. I got a bug up my rear end about a year ago to put another band together. I was posting everywhere that I was looking for people. Here, Facebook, Craigslist, bandmix, work, acquaintances, poo poo even old band members that I don’t even like anymore just to be able to play.

I went through 2 different drummer/bass lineups and at least 12 people total. I ended up with a 5 piece and we are all super excited to practice every other week. Don’t be scared to jam with older people also, our drummer and one of the guitar players are in their 50’s. Also once you get them over, encourage them.

Nothing is going to sound good the first day, but if you focus on the good stuff you did together they will too. Then you have a better chance of them coming back. First 5 piece I had the drummer went off on the bass player because he said he couldn’t make the next practice. The other 2 guys there were relatively new and looked at each other as the drummer was berating the bass player and quit over txt messages 2 days later. Once I dropped his toxic rear end people started actually coming back week after week. The vibe has to be smooth or the music won’t be.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Problem is that I’m all over the map, though I’d probably like to get better at blues and folk music, maybe throw some shredding in for good measure. I just want to be better versed in theory and skill, and do a bit of everything.

Tony polecastro was another one I was looking at, but I may just pull the trigger on the intermediate course and see where that goes. It’s only a hair under two months worth of lessons anyways.

I just wish I was more focused when I had an instructor or that he had some sort of plan or format. I wasted two years just going in and him being like what do you want to work on and me being like I don’t know, I just want to be better, and so probably 70% of said lessons were just me sitting there while he transcribed songs I wanted to know how to play. 25% was me talking to him about what was new in his life, and 5% was me fumbling through the new stuff he transcribed. I can’t say that it was all that great or useful, and now I just wish I had someone to get together and jam with, but I don’t feel like I’m good enough to go to open mic stuff and try to find other players who I could then play with to get better. Catch 22 I guess

I totally get this and have had some really similar experiences with lessons. I'm all over the map too, and I'm guessing we're not alone either. Still, I think by focusing my efforts better (getting good at a few songs rather than OK at a bunch, thinking about notes, et cetera), I can get better. It's not easy, but certainly having something to follow along with will be helpful (really no matter what it is).

I guess what I'm trying to do myself is give something a go, and try to do it 3-5 times a week. I see the appeal of any of the options out there, but I know I have to spend time with them to learn from them. Then with free time, I can roam a bit more, though even here I'd like to be a bit more thoughtful.

As far as finding people to play with, you might want to look around for blues jams in your area. I just did a search and found a couple options in my neck of the woods. If nothing else, I guess I'd talk to people you know. Maybe they don't play, but they might know someone who does. Again, it's not easy, and it can be uncomfortable for sure, but it really is something I miss doing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The internet has changed things of course but don’t forget the value of hanging out at local music shops. Be friendly, chat people up, etc.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I'm alone in that I don't want to learn someone elses songs. I'm so stubborn about it that I may be regulated to noodling scales until I die.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Philthy posted:

I feel like I'm alone in that I don't want to learn someone elses songs. I'm so stubborn about it that I may be regulated to noodling scales until I die.

I’ve never learned an entire song :hfive: I’ve only ever wanted to play my own stuff/steal the riffs/noodle

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Reverb posted a demo of that Acoustasonic Tele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhsAyRpM6U

seems cool! Not sure I notice a massive difference in the voices in the video, and there's hella effects in the song at the end, but the basic range of sounds is nice from a single guitar, plus I like the look (especially the fretboards)

Didn't show the actual acoustic sound though :thunk:

e- also it has an elbow curve

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Isn't that technically an Esquire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

So my truss rod is as tight as it can get and I still need less relief on my neck. I was instructed by the dude at the guitar shop to put the neck between two surfaces and hang some weight on it to bow the neck the opposite way and then loosen the truss rod again to get it to where I want it. So now I have it set up like this:

only issue is I have no idea how much weight I should be suspending this way. I looked it up and strings usually apply 100-200 pounds of pressure to the neck, so should I be trying to hang that much weight from the neck? Is this even going to work?

d0grent fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 4, 2019