Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
What ancient rear end apps are still 32 bit beyond games and Adobe trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Crunchy Black posted:

Lets just say I know its possible to make it work on HS.

Please let me know any relevant info that you have!

Although it seems like a bunch of updated games actually require System 10.14 or 10.15 so I will probably upgrade at some point anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Malcolm XML posted:

An annoying amount of printer and scanner drivers, Microsoft Office 2008/2011, Acclivity AccountEdge (fairly popular Mac accounting software, the vendor actually states in giant letters that it will never be upgraded to 64 bit so your options are never upgrade past Mojave, run it in a VM, run a web version or run the Windows version which will continue to be upgraded and supported.)

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Malcolm XML posted:

DragThing for one, it will never be updated to 64-bit and has officially been retired. It's sort of Apple's Dock on steroids and one of the most useful apps I've ever used.

I've tried two replacements for it, iCollections and Station, both pale in comparison to DragThing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maybe it's time to stop using microsoft office 2011

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

maybe it's time to stop using microsoft office 2011

you can take my ribbon from my cold dead hands

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arivia posted:

you can take my ribbon from my cold dead hands

2019 still has the ribbon! you just don't have to cling to an os that will be eol in 18 months

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Yes, though this isn't just a Catalina thing, they've been making this push for years now. The next major Macbook update will have an ARM processor. :toxx:

~Coxy posted:

Please let me know any relevant info that you have!

Although it seems like a bunch of updated games actually require System 10.14 or 10.15 so I will probably upgrade at some point anyway.

What's your actual hardware platform? Mac Pro 3,1 can do it with the usual kext mods you can find with a google dosdude but idk any complications if your hackintoshing, etc. If you're using it to game there may be additional complications I haven't run into.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

An annoying amount of printer and scanner drivers, Microsoft Office 2008/2011, Acclivity AccountEdge (fairly popular Mac accounting software, the vendor actually states in giant letters that it will never be upgraded to 64 bit so your options are never upgrade past Mojave, run it in a VM, run a web version or run the Windows version which will continue to be upgraded and supported.)

I couldn't imagine supporting an enterprise/b2b software solution that won't ever be upgraded to 64-bit. CPAs are the worst people to develop software for - if they had things their way, they'd still be doing accounting in DOS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 28, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Acclivity AccountEdge (fairly popular Mac accounting software, the vendor actually states in giant letters that it will never be upgraded to 64 bit
Popular for now maybe but that sounds like they have no interest in ever getting new Mac customers, I’d say the software is as good as abandoned

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a 64-bit FileMaker?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
The current version of Filemaker (Pro 18 Advanced) says it runs on High Sierra and up, so yes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone know of a good Mac pinboard client? I was using Spillo but that appears to be abandoned and crashes a lot. I don't like the pinboard website so I've experimented with jumping ship to Raindrop but their apps all appear to be web apps wrapped in platform specific app launchers (I'm not sure what the term is for that) and I'm not loving them.

I've fallen in love with the new NetNewsWire and it's reinvigorated my love of platform specific apps.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Had never heard of AccountEdge, and was curious, so I went looking for that notice and

Acclivity posted:

We are disappointed to share that we will not be able to offer a Catalina-compliant version of AccountEdge - now or in the future. In the end, AccountEdge’s 30-year-old codebase proved too outdated to establish compatibility with Apple’s newest operating system. In spite of a multi-year project that involved a team of developers and analysts, it’s a project we will not be able to complete.

30yo codebase and can't be converted to 64-bit == it's a carbon app they never updated to cocoa for nearly 20 years despite carbon clearly being EOL for at least 10 years now, lol

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Anton Chigurh posted:

DragThing for one, it will never be updated to 64-bit and has officially been retired. It's sort of Apple's Dock on steroids and one of the most useful apps I've ever used.

I've tried two replacements for it, iCollections and Station, both pale in comparison to DragThing.

:eyepop:

ok you should stay on < catalina with all the other people without taste

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

what kind of dumb fuckin printer can't use generic IPP drivers or scanner w/o TWAIN

use a vm for the other old rear end apps

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Crunchy Black posted:

Yes, though this isn't just a Catalina thing, they've been making this push for years now. The next major Macbook update will have an ARM processor. :toxx:

No as in dropping 32-bit support now doesn't really give any direct hint about ARMing the Mac. There are many, many other reasons for Apple to want to drop 32-bit support. It allows them to get rid of a bunch of legacy stuff they'd rather not maintain any more.

I continue to be skeptical that an ARM Mac is right around the corner. I don't think they will want to do that until they can do the entire product line, and for Apple, designing chips similar to desktop and workstation Intel chips is dicey. Macs just don't have the sales volume to make the economics good. (iOS devices do, which is why Apple's in the chip design business with no outside customers for their chips.)

If one or more of the various companies trying to build ARM server chips eventually gets rolling, with performance good enough for Apple, maybe that's when we'll see some action.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

:eyepop:

ok you should stay on < catalina with all the other people without taste

it’s like the Apple Dock on meth

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a way to use icloud passwords and a 3rd party password manager at the same time? Like sync them so if I'm ever on a non-Apple device I can just use the 3rd party password manager but if I am on an Apple I can use the built in password manager which is nicer to use?

Say for instance I'm registering on a new website. I ask either the Apple system or the 3rd party system to generate a random password for me. Then both icloud passwords AND the 3rd party password manager both get updated with that password in their database.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Malcolm XML posted:

use a vm for the other old rear end apps

I’m actually kind of intrigued by this idea. I have Parallels already, if I can run a Mojave VM for Office and a few other 32bit apps, I might be sold. Where do you get the install media for old versions of MacOS?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a way to use icloud passwords and a 3rd party password manager at the same time? Like sync them so if I'm ever on a non-Apple device I can just use the 3rd party password manager but if I am on an Apple I can use the built in password manager which is nicer to use?

Say for instance I'm registering on a new website. I ask either the Apple system or the 3rd party system to generate a random password for me. Then both icloud passwords AND the 3rd party password manager both get updated with that password in their database.

1Password safari extension will ask if you want to add new credentials (or update them for a pw change) as will iCloud keychain when you have Keychain as your default handler.

I use the Keychain as my primary for macOS/iOS stuff. I capture logins and such with 1Password so everything is also sync’d up with my non mac computers. Agilebits has a write up on how to replace Keychain with 1Password completely, but I’m not sure if Keychain asks to store credentials anymore if you do that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iCloud Keychain is far superior than stuff like 1Password but there’s no reason you can’t use both.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Malcolm XML posted:

[timg]ok you should stay on < catalina with all the other people without taste

DragThing is highly modifiable and doesn’t have to look like that. Mine doesn’t. You prick.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BobHoward posted:

No as in dropping 32-bit support now doesn't really give any direct hint about ARMing the Mac. There are many, many other reasons for Apple to want to drop 32-bit support. It allows them to get rid of a bunch of legacy stuff they'd rather not maintain any more.

I continue to be skeptical that an ARM Mac is right around the corner. I don't think they will want to do that until they can do the entire product line, and for Apple, designing chips similar to desktop and workstation Intel chips is dicey. Macs just don't have the sales volume to make the economics good. (iOS devices do, which is why Apple's in the chip design business with no outside customers for their chips.)

If one or more of the various companies trying to build ARM server chips eventually gets rolling, with performance good enough for Apple, maybe that's when we'll see some action.

It's been an open secret for almost a year and industry scuttlebutt for much longer.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/07/24/why-apples-macs-can-now-ditch-intel-x86

I have it on good authority that the reason Cascade Lake-WS even actually came to market was Apple's commitment to the platform. Intel had to start pumping them out to get the high-end yields where Apple needed them because they knew takers of the platform were going to be a U-curve between people who just wanted a Pro and studios that bought the highest-end CPU configs.

Apple got to the point where they wanted to do an ARM processor for it but the Pro was too far down the development rabbit hole and Apple didn't have the PCIe platform dev experience to trash it all and start over, leaving the trash can as a 10 year old "Professional" platform they had to keep updating for, by the time they would have been able to push something out the door.

Yes, the Pro has an Intel CPU but the T2 chip gives them a root of trust that only Apple can control which gives them much more leeway to let the Pro sit out in la-la land as its own thing. It's also powerful enough that it can probably safely not be updated for nearly another decade while they get the rust knocked off of laptop and desktop CPU development, at least long enough to develop a stable core or chiplet situation that can scale to HEDT or Server. That or they do what everyone else in the industry is and just subcontract with AMD's semi-custom division, which at this rate, they probably should've done for the Pro anyway, but that's another discussion.

Apple subbing or co-developing with Cavium is an interesting proposition but AFIK Apple hasn't done anything with them [Marvell] since the WiFi ASIC in the OG iPhone so idk if there is bad blood there or what. Calling ARM server chips nascent is slightly behind the curve IMO. All the major cloud providers are offering some amount of ARM capacity.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Last Chance posted:

iCloud Keychain is far superior than stuff like 1Password but there’s no reason you can’t use both.

Explain please.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

1Password has a far superior interface for looking through your various passwords, and has better options for creating new passwords. It can also store things like TOTP tokens.

iCloud Keychain works well for many simple sites, but it sometimes creates multiple entries for the same site. I’ve ended up with multiple passwords stored for a given site in iCloud Keychain and it’s a pain to figure out which is the real one. It’s certainly possible to eliminate the incorrect entries, but it’s much more of a pain than it should be.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’m actually kind of intrigued by this idea. I have Parallels already, if I can run a Mojave VM for Office and a few other 32bit apps, I might be sold. Where do you get the install media for old versions of MacOS?

seriously what is so good about office 2008/11 that you people cannot give it up

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Weedle posted:

seriously what is so good about office 2008/11 that you people cannot give it up

It’s the same way I feel about the dishwasher in my kitchen. I paid for it once when I switched to Mac and it still works?? If I was still on Windows I’m pretty sure I’d feel the same way about my copy of Office 2003. It turns out my needs to write a small document or make a spreadsheet with some minor summing formulas has not changed in 20 years.

Can I even buy Office anymore without some SaaS subscription that will leave me having spent a thousand dollars in the next 10 years?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

It’s the same way I feel about the dishwasher in my kitchen. I paid for it once when I switched to Mac and it still works?? If I was still on Windows I’m pretty sure I’d feel the same way about my copy of Office 2003. It turns out my needs to write a small document or make a spreadsheet with some minor summing formulas has not changed in 20 years.

And, much like your dishwasher, it won’t get updates.

I mean, if the current suite of software you have is good enough, it makes total sense to just stop updating (until the security updates stop, then you’re taking your life into your hands if you use the internet with a computer that has anything important on it).

My dad kept using a Mac Plus until something like 2002. He wasn’t interested in the internet particularly and the version of excel that ran on it did all the accounting functions he needed. I gave my parents a hand me down iPad and white MacBook after they retired and they ran those into the ground too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weedle posted:

It's a paid for app that you won't have to pay hundreds of more dollars via a yearly subscription for.

It wrote documents fine in 2011, it probably writes documents fine in 2020 as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a Mac 5,1 and there's no good reason it shouldn't be on the list of supported Macs for Catalina but alas. I've contemplating patching it to update but the only thing that would interest me is the Apple Watch unlock features and that's just not worth it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

FCKGW posted:

It's a paid for app that you won't have to pay hundreds of more dollars via a yearly subscription for.

It wrote documents fine in 2011, it probably writes documents fine in 2020 as well.

It still works fine but doesn’t get security updates or work on a new OS. Updating to fix security issues and to work on new operating systems requires developers to work on it, which costs money. If you’re just writing documents and you’re not connected to the internet then great, keep using it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Install Mojave or lesser in a VM, like VMWare, disable Ethernet ports on VM, problem solved

https://www.huibdijkstra.nl/how-to-set-up-a-osx-mojave-vm-in-vmware-fusion/

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Weedle posted:

OneNote isn’t even the same app anymore it’s so neutered.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Mojave installer is here. (Link will open App Store.)

Also here are High Sierra, Sierra, and El Capitan.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can I even buy Office anymore without some SaaS subscription that will leave me having spent a thousand dollars in the next 10 years?

Yes

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

FCKGW posted:

I have a Mac 5,1 and there's no good reason it shouldn't be on the list of supported Macs for Catalina but alas.
It’s the the unpatched Intel CPU vulnerabilities, probably.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

gyrf posted:

Mojave installer is here. (Link will open App Store.)

Also here are High Sierra, Sierra, and El Capitan.

thanks much!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

It’s the the unpatched Intel CPU vulnerabilities, probably.

Pretty much this. Even with the Security Update 2020-002 for Mojave, Apple patched the BootROM of every machine that qualifies for Mojave except the Mac Pro 4,1 (patched to 5,1) and 5,1. BootROM 144.0.0.0 is the last update it will ever officially receive.

Luckily we have OpenCore which already supports enabling HEVC transcoding and video playback hardware acceleration on RX480/580 and above, so that it's actually possible to run Netflix in Safari on my 580 equipped 5,1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Are there any extra steps that need to be taken before reselling a Mac now that they lock like iOS devices do?