Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

I consider myself very lucky since there are architects in other departments that can't take a poo poo without charging the time to some customer's project bucket.

I feel like this is taking making GBS threads on the company dime to a new level.

making GBS threads on the dime of a company you don't even work for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flosofl posted:

I consider myself very lucky since there are architects in other departments that can't take a poo poo without charging the time to some customer's project bucket.

They have to poo poo in a customer's bucket?! :stonk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the bucket have some sort of specification? Maybe you'd call it a spec bucket, for example.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They have to poo poo in a customer's bucket?! :stonk:

It's our best selling product.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hahaha, my company is trying to not pay me for the overtime I did during the ransomware attack (they said they'd forgot the first month, second month they're directly stating they're not giving it to me). I worked from 9am until 3am.

E: I suppose I better mention their justification. They're trying to argue that because I took 2 half days off to go see a doctor/go get an x-ray that they shouldn't pay me for the overtime.

I've printed out my resignation and left it on the bosses desk because they didn't have the balls to do it while any of upper management was here. Cya nerds, i've got another (slightly worse) paid job to go to and I don't give a gently caress because its closer and i'll save the money in fuel! :yotj:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dogstile posted:

Hahaha, my company is trying to not pay me for the overtime I did during the ransomware attack (they said they'd forgot the first month, second month they're directly stating they're not giving it to me). I worked from 9am until 3am.

E: I suppose I better mention their justification. They're trying to argue that because I took 2 half days off to go see a doctor/go get an x-ray that they shouldn't pay me for the overtime.

I've printed out my resignation and left it on the bosses desk because they didn't have the balls to do it while any of upper management was here. Cya nerds, i've got another (slightly worse) paid job to go to and I don't give a gently caress because its closer and i'll save the money in fuel! :yotj:

Don't forget to call the Labor Board on their asses. I know California at least gets really salty about overtime payments.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Dogstile is in the UK so what his (old) company did is hilariously illegal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I'm gonna make a legal case of some sort, but I won't discuss that on here.

Seriously though, best way to do it. gently caress them

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

dogstile posted:

Yeah I'm gonna make a legal case of some sort, but I won't discuss that on here.

Seriously though, best way to do it. gently caress them

I for one wouldn't mind hearing updates.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MANime in the sheets posted:

I for one wouldn't mind hearing updates.

While nice, I'm sure for legal reasons posting details until the case is settled is possibly a bad idea, and might hurt his case, but I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you asked the lawyer handling the case if you can post about it anonymously and vaguely on a comedy internet forum they'd tell you not to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I'd like to hear about it in a few months when it's going to end up being a boring tale of how you served papers and they instantly decided to settle.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Guess it all depends on your implementation, authentication you're using, SSIDs, portals, disclaimers, meshing, scanning and knowing everything about your building, all of it's dead zones.

If you're putting up wifi for 100 people in a call center or small office, sure, buy a few poo poo ubiquity APs and throw them on the ceiling.

If you think you're going to cover 160ksq/ft of office and manufacturing facilities, support various hardware and all the security requirements and it's just going to be a matter of running some wire and sitcking APs on the ceiling... no. That's not how it works.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DigitalMocking posted:

Guess it all depends on your implementation, authentication you're using, SSIDs, portals, disclaimers, meshing, scanning and knowing everything about your building, all of it's dead zones.

If you're putting up wifi for 100 people in a call center or small office, sure, buy a few poo poo ubiquity APs and throw them on the ceiling.

If you think you're going to cover 160ksq/ft of office and manufacturing facilities, support various hardware and all the security requirements and it's just going to be a matter of running some wire and sitcking APs on the ceiling... no. That's not how it works.

Yeah, this, good wireless deployments on a large scale are not hurf durf bought ubiquity gear just need to mount it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

I never said that.

You do all the work before the hardware ever even reaches the site.

I mean holy poo poo, you don't just wing it and make adjustments as you go along with the hardware installation. That's insanity.

You do site surveys, or at the very least predictive ones that take into account building materials and floorpans to get your initial power and channel plans and to determine where the APs will be mounted. You define all your configurations (making as much of it policy based as possible) far ahead of time. You get your BOM and do any device level overrides into the system before hand. You determine the most effecient cables runs on the plans deciding which cables terminate in the MDF and which will go which IDF. Then and only then do you ship hardware for the install team. If you're deploying less 200 APs at any one site, you can usually get away with two installers doing overnights for two days in a row. Add another day for acceptance testing and any tweaking of the power and channel settings and you're done. More than 200 at any location you go with three installers, and take 2 to 3 nights with 2 of them stringing cable and 1 following with AP mounting.

I've done deployments of over 10,000 APs at 750ish locations in one project and it only took a little over 4 months of hardware installs (logistics are slightly different in terms of stringing wire and hardware placement) with a 3 month design and development lead-up. I'd say less than 1% of the APs needed to deviate from the designed placement and that was usually because of a structural element not captured on the floor plan. If you find yourself having to continually move APs and constantly tweaking power and channel settings or other configuration stuff to get it to an initial working state, you're bad at wireless and should probably hire someone that can do it right the 1st time.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 30, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Are Ubiquity APs really that bad? One of our client companies is remodeling and they have four of them now mounted on the walls and ceiling, unconfigured. I wanted to know what kind of poo poo I might expect when I start trying to set them up.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MrMojok posted:

Are Ubiquity APs really that bad? One of our client companies is remodeling and they have four of them now mounted on the walls and ceiling, unconfigured. I wanted to know what kind of poo poo I might expect when I start trying to set them up.

As long as thy bought the new gen they're good, last gen (I think it was last gen) had all sorts of problems. Ubiquiti is good, but not for an enterprise, they're consumer/small (maybe medium) business gear.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

For smaller installs, they're fine.

For larger scale installs (think multiple buildings, many floors, factory poo poo etc), I'd look elsewhere.

Then again, I don't work with wifi deployment stuff on the regular, so this is pretty vague :v:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK. This appears to be what they bought: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Which I think (hope?) is new gen. Their office is pretty small, only about 20 people.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A 4 AP configuration in a small office can be just fine with ubiquiti. Just know your network configs so you can properly set vlans and troubleshoot routing if needed.

If you're on a flat network with default configs god help you son it should be pretty close to plug and play.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I have one at home and love it for personal use. I haven't tried playing around with a mesh, I've wanted to for my parents house but I can't convince them to spend the money on 2 APs when the router has wireless that gets half the house and they have another network on an old linksys router only offering g.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MF_James posted:

As long as thy bought the new gen they're good, last gen (I think it was last gen) had all sorts of problems. Ubiquiti is good, but not for an enterprise, they're consumer/small (maybe medium) business gear.

They're fantastic for small/medium business, or for one-off "I need to bridge to a building 3km and line-of-site away".
We've got a few doing that, and they tie in with our Cisco AP's/etc. with zero hiccups. Their bridges are fracking amazing for the price. Hell, they even punch through some moderate wooded area without much issue. So, yeah - 10000000 users - no. Small? Hell yes.
I've got an AP-AC-Lite at home and I can get most of the way down the block with signal.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MrMojok posted:

OK. This appears to be what they bought: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Which I think (hope?) is new gen. Their office is pretty small, only about 20 people.

I'm using an AC-lite at home, I can stream netflix on a Roku, stream music from pandora on a tablet, browse the internet on a phone, download a game on my PS4 and another download another game on my Switch without any of them having a problem with everything connected to the AP.

I did this as a stress test, I was able to max a 150/150 connection, you have the pro linked which is the better model. I was really happy with the results of 5 devices connected and 3 of them using some pretty heavy traffic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To pull a figure out of my arse I'd say that 80% of the stuff required to make a wi-fi network perform is about the RF survey, understanding what the network has to do, and matching radios and antennas to those needs. As long as you aren't buying literal poo poo products they should all perform pretty well.

If you go and spend a fortune on top of the range Meraki APs and throw them around then you're going to be upset.

Ubiquiti point-to-point stuff is great, up there with the best you can get for unlicensed stuff. In terms of Wi-Fi the latest round of AC gear is acceptable and performs in line with what it costs. It has central management and reporting but really has gently caress all features. I don't know if they have vendor support nailed down better now, but you don't want to have an AP die and be waiting around weeks for their distribution channels to fill up with stock again.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 30, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Siochain posted:

They're fantastic for small/medium business, or for one-off "I need to bridge to a building 3km and line-of-site away".
We've got a few doing that, and they tie in with our Cisco AP's/etc. with zero hiccups. Their bridges are fracking amazing for the price. Hell, they even punch through some moderate wooded area without much issue. So, yeah - 10000000 users - no. Small? Hell yes.
I've got an AP-AC-Lite at home and I can get most of the way down the block with signal.

Yeah I used one of their point-to-point setups for a buddy out in his cottage in Wisconsin, it works surprisingly well despite there being some tree stuffs in the way.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DigitalMocking posted:

So then you didn't actually read the rest of the post that you left in the quote where it talked about heat maps etc. then. Are you a user?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress cheap rear end clients that expect a free ride. You made a change that broke poo poo, don't complain to me when you ask for my help and then get a bill for it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Maybe it's a company buy out thing, maybe its not but gently caress if our ISP hasn't become a real pain in the rear end to deal with. Tickets/support requests shouldn't take all drat day for a response or require chasing as before they re-branded they were on to our problems like white on rice, makes things especially fun when they manage the router in addition to paying for managed firewall and voip.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Thanks Ants posted:

Does the bucket have some sort of specification? Maybe you'd call it a spec bucket, for example.

Oh God, the flashbacks.That loving bucket, man. *shudders*

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Speaking of wireless I just finished what is probably my most complex network setup yet. Remote site, staff wifi is full tunnel back to the main hub, public wifi has a splashpage with DNS heading through the tunnel to be filtered by the hub and data going straight to the internet from the remote site. Had to do a bunch of ACL, VLAN, VPN, and NAT configurations to make it all work but I'm now at 100%.

It took me two days to deploy.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Super Slash posted:

Maybe it's a company buy out thing, maybe its not but gently caress if our ISP hasn't become a real pain in the rear end to deal with. Tickets/support requests shouldn't take all drat day for a response or require chasing as before they re-branded they were on to our problems like white on rice, makes things especially fun when they manage the router in addition to paying for managed firewall and voip.

The helldesk for the MSP I work at had really good response times and fast resolutions when I started. Over the last year or so that sort of fell apart when they 'integrated' the support teams from a few other MSPs we had bought as well as the one from the company that bought us. It's an absolute shitshow now, I'm very happy I gtfo to another department.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Petty poo poo that pisses me off:

Don't bother to include the god drat driver in a package. Make me install your poo poo tier software. I'm a simple gently caress and can't IT. :argh:

gently caress you Canon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Remote site 'cleaned' all of their touchscreens with a wet cloth. Suddenly it's my emergency this morning to go out there, wipe the watermarks off the screen that were causing them to freak out, and give them a microfiber cloth.

I didn't think it was important for me to tell users "Don't put water on the computers".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Generator took damage from the weekend storms. This caused more problems with the power going in and out and the holiday upon us. No big deal, I pull up the service number from our spreadsheet and call it. Number isn't good. This was my bosses project years before i joined the company so I hit him up.

Long story short, it seems that this service contract info is all bullshit my boss made up. Digging deeper shows that my boss bought this generator straight from china and all signs are pointing to him getting cheap labor to install it. If any of you have any experience with this sort of items you are already know where this is going.

No electricians worth their salt are going to touch our loving generator. Every reputable company is going to want to only service generators they sell. So far we have had 3 different companies come out and they all said the same thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, you're gonna be told to look up the failed parts in google, order them, and install them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yep, you're gonna be told to look up the failed parts in google, order them, and install them.

I am not a facilities person. I am also not an electrician or a mechanic. I am not doing poo poo but calling people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately being in IT anything that touches a computer is your problem. :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately being in IT anything is your problem. :v:

Fixed it!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So your boss at some point has reported to the people needing to compile their DR/BC documentation that there's a generator and here's the service contract details and here's the contract for getting it refuelled if necessary, and it's all bullshit with a made up contact phone number?

:munch:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

So your boss at some point has reported to the people needing to compile their DR/BC documentation that there's a generator and here's the service contract details and here's the contract for getting it refuelled if necessary, and it's all bullshit with a made up contact phone number?

:munch:

When I came on board I was compiling all the telephone numbers of all the vendors and partners that license/service our poo poo. Of course I asked for the name and contact for the generator and he filled out the info on the spreadsheet himself.

Its partly my fault in a way because I didn't call each number given to me by him to verify that its working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately being in IT anything that touches a computer is your problem. :v:

I had to courier a laptop for an exec from his accountant's office to some firm that's totally not going to be doing something big here soon last week.

They didn't give me an address till 4... they wanted it to the destination by 5:30. On a Friday, in a major metro area known for traffic. I actually did get it there on time, but the contact left for the day. I guess it was super critical it sit on her desk all weekend. Why this isn't an EA's problem, particularly when they're on the email chain anyway, I have no idea. Perhaps he'd like me to bring him something to eat as well?

By the way, this is the day after I was told to focus on ransomware mitigation, and absolutely nothing else.

Just when I think this place can't get any weirder....