Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I went to undergrad with someone who claimed to be from Houston, she was from Conroe

To be fair this is pretty common if you don't want to explain where you're properly from every time. Like, I told everyone in Québec that my family lived in Dallas because I don't want to explain wtf a "Fort Worth*" is over and over again.

*it's a bad place, nice zoo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Alkydere posted:

Dunno, how bad is the traffic around I Say Swear's place? If it's bad enough I'd say make him an honorary Austinite.

It's pretty wretched all the way up to Georgetown now

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To be fair this is pretty common if you don't want to explain where you're properly from every time. Like, I told everyone in Québec that my family lived in Dallas because I don't want to explain wtf a "Fort Worth*" is over and over again.

Yeah, like I know Cedar Park is not Austin, but I tell people I'm from Austin and it gets the point across.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This thread is full of stolen valor

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sup Tarrant county says he’s from Dallas buddy?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

real stolen valor gets me 25% off at taco cabana too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can TC sell alcohol through the window now?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Can TC sell alcohol through the window now?

Whole state can

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the drive-thru is always so packed i just go inside. i assume they make to-go though

pretty sure you can buy an entire gallon of whatever sixth street level cocktail they make

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I lived in Dallas (Oak Cliff that’s my hood) for approximately age 0-4, then lived in suburbs (Duncanville, Cedar Hill, Lewisville, Coppell, Lewisville) or College Station for the rest of my life. Yes, I’m from Dallas why do you ask?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Captain Monkey posted:

I've worked and lived in/near downtown Houston for a while now. It definitely has pedestrians and foot traffic. And (in non-Corona times) it has a pretty walkable selection of bars, restaurants, and other stuff.

I'm starting to think maybe some of you goons just don't go out and do stuff where people are and it's altering the way they think about cities.

Houston's downtown is empty compared to every other large city. It's too loving hot and there's a perfectly good tunnel system to use anyway.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

No Safe Word posted:

I legitimately don't know what this is supposed to be talking about and I've seen a lot of Texas sidewalks

Fancier neighborhoods have sidewalks that are more walking trails in/around them. Also the literal walking trails that meander around

Sir Tonk posted:

Houston's downtown is empty compared to every other large city. It's too loving hot and there's a perfectly good tunnel system to use anyway.

Isn't that basically just for the office people working in the towers

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Pretty much yeah, but anyone can walk into a random connected office building during normal hours to enter the tunnels. I used to work near the Four Seasons and inevitably there would be tourists (why?) bunched up around the tunnels map by the elevator access.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
My favorite part of the tunnels from working downtown was the old people that power walked them in the morning. Oh, and the constant mildew smell.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Everyone in here is gentrifying being from a city and frankly it’s disgusting

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah, I'm from Austin*.

*Lubbock

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i'm from austin. austin, chicago

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I've wondered this two and haven't gotten an answer. I speculated it was to dissuade motorized use. What really gets me are the bike trails that do poo poo like that.

Edit: Just to bitch some more, wherever they do that and also install a bike lane, I get to deal with joggers just using the bike lane.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My neighborhood has sidewalks but that doesn't stop this weird old lady from walking down the middle of the street at 6:30 every day.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

My opinion is that Tesla is a fake company propped up by memes and one day it's going to come crashing down like a house of cards.

It's stock price is overvalued, but it is a luxury car company that builds and delivers lots of luxury cars and that portion of it is almost entirely divorced from the weird meme driven stock run up. There is more to that company than Elon Musk.

As far as tax incentives. Yall said that, not me. But on a similar topic, I wish the state delegation had any clout in DC to require that jobs or mfg for new green energy products in the infra bill be done in Houston. I would like the Government to spend money to force companies receiving said government money to locate their jobs here to offset the job losses from the long slow death of O&G.

Anyway, I just have this crazy dream that Houston doesn't have to become Cleveland of this century.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

They do this because developers think they look nice and it's a way for a contractor to get some more $ for extra LF of sidewalk and the developer doesn't care since they're reimbursed for that cost anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They actually do that for ADA reasons. You’ll notice it moves away from trees/the light pole but is otherwise straight. You have to have a certain amount of clearance for ADA compliance.

Also lol @ thinking Houston will be Cleveland even if oil goes away. It’s one of the largest ports in the world and it has a number of non-oil industries. You’re living in the 80’s.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

yeah i'm from austin. austin, chicago

for some reason this post reminded me of Houston street, NYC and lmfao.

The smugger you say Howwwwwwwwwwwston the more imma call it Houston Street

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that just reminded me of my 7th grade texas history teacher who pronounced it yooston and it drove us all nuts

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

They actually do that for ADA reasons. You’ll notice it moves away from trees/the light pole but is otherwise straight. You have to have a certain amount of clearance for ADA compliance.

Also lol @ thinking Houston will be Cleveland even if oil goes away. It’s one of the largest ports in the world and it has a number of non-oil industries. You’re living in the 80’s.

ADA only requires that the sidewalk be 5 ft wide and they have ramps, no requirement to be X ft from a pole or a tree, those just can't be in the path (though Centerpoint will often do that anyway because they don't care). They can be right next to a tree or pole or whatever, otherwise no sidewalks could ever be built in urban areas.

What do you think goes in and out of that port? It's petroleum and petroleum products (e.g., plastics made at the various ship channel refineries.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

What do you think goes in and out of that port? It's petroleum and petroleum products (e.g., plastics made at the various ship channel refineries.

Oil might "go away" as a transport fuel for cars and reduce the number of refineries, but we don't really have as many good options for petrochemicals yet. There is way more oil coming from current wells to satisfy all that and we really are just drilling for more vehicle fuel. The death of the US oil industry is when we get to that low demand and it is a lot cheaper to develop stuff in the middle east and transport it than drill another horizontal well in the US.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sab0921 posted:

It's stock price is overvalued, but it is a luxury car company that builds and delivers lots of luxury cars and that portion of it is almost entirely divorced from the weird meme driven stock run up. There is more to that company than Elon Musk.

Slight correction here - they used to be a luxury carmaker but are not anymore. Get in a Model 3 or Model Y and you'll see that outside of the drivetrain they are outclassed by the entry level models from Honda and Toyota, and and there's simply no comparison with stuff from Acura, Lexus, or other companies high end lines.

Right now they are largely coasting off the first Roadster and Model S being rich techie playthings. That would be fine except that the other automakers are coming up very quick and it is very possible that Tesla will find itself in a similar position as domestic manufacturers did in the 80s-90s - suddenly facing intense competition and with a (well deserved) reputation for absolute poo poo quality.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Slight correction here - they used to be a luxury carmaker but are not anymore. Get in a Model 3 or Model Y and you'll see that outside of the drivetrain they are outclassed by the entry level models from Honda and Toyota, and and there's simply no comparison with stuff from Acura, Lexus, or other companies high end lines.

Right now they are largely coasting off the first Roadster and Model S being rich techie playthings. That would be fine except that the other automakers are coming up very quick and it is very possible that Tesla will find itself in a similar position as domestic manufacturers did in the 80s-90s - suddenly facing intense competition and with a (well deserved) reputation for absolute poo poo quality.

To drive this point home, the issue is that they are neither a good luxury car maker nor a mass-market car maker. Their valuation is so absurdly high that there's gonna be tears if they're not bigger than Ford and GM combined in the not-that-distant future, and that just ain't happening, they just do not have the capacity and Elon's been more interested in hyping up fake prototypes of pickup trucks and blowing up rockets over Texas than in expanding smartly.

And keep in mind that this is the company that in January decided to plow billions into bitcoin investments, which suggests that they think simply holding bitcoin will have a better return on investment than building more capacity for their own manufacturing business, and completely betrays the environmentally-friendly image Tesla has, given the environmental disaster that is bitcoin.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Shifty Pony posted:

with a (well deserved) reputation for absolute poo poo quality.

I love going back and rereading the Twitter posts from people whose Teslas spontaneously burst into flame and burned down into husks, sometimes twice.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

lol there's no way this is for ada reasons, people with disabilities hate poo poo like this, they just want a straight line that's 6 ft wide

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Schubalts posted:

I love going back and rereading the Twitter posts from people whose Teslas spontaneously burst into flame and burned down into husks, sometimes twice.

and the posts always end in "still love the car, thanks elon!!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pretty sure Tesla has barely ever tried to put up a front of environmentalism beyond just the general implication that electrical vehicles carry. I think the big accomplishment of the Tesla brand has been to sell the idea of its electric vehicles as some kind of high-tech luxury, which has been somewhat useful to push EVs forward in the popular consciousness as something cool rather than just an unfun environmental mandate.

I'm not gonna say that a company moving in to create jobs is bad, but I will say that a company with a very anti-labor CEO that already has a sketchy safety record moving into a right-to-work state doesn't really bode well. Also when Musk declared he was moving to Texas it seemed like basically he was trying to bully California into lifting its pandemic restrictions, so that still seems wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

for some reason this post reminded me of Houston street, NYC and lmfao.

The smugger you say Howwwwwwwwwwwston the more imma call it Houston Street

I thought NYC was supposed to be the place where none of the streets have real names and they just have soulless numbers.

Unlike where I live where the streets have names that change too often along their paths to be useful and most people just use their 4-digit designation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love meeting someone who lives on like 189th street because they're either from nyc or lubbock

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I love meeting someone who lives on like 189th street because they're either from nyc or lubbock

trap sprung I'm both

technically Hockley County not Lubbock so stolen valor etc etc

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...r-ex-navy-seal/

quote:

Rep. Dan Crenshaw undergoes emergency surgery on his remaining eye, ‘terrifying prognosis’ for ex-Navy SEAL

WASHINGTON – Houston congressman Dan Crenshaw, a former Navy SEAL who lost an eye in Afghanistan, underwent emergency surgery on Friday for a detached retina, leaving him blind for at least a month. Prospects for recovering his vision remain uncertain.

”This is a terrifying prognosis for someone with one eye, and the nature of the injuries that I sustained in Afghanistan,” the two-term Republican said in a statement issued by his office on Saturday. “Anyone who knows the history of my injuries knows that I don’t have a ‘good eye,’ but half a good eye. The blast from 2012 caused a cataract, excessive tissue damage, and extensive damage to my retina.”

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

this could also be miami

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So did he piss someone off and they hit him hard enough for this to happen? Or is it the more terrifying version where it just detached on its own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
When he got hit by a bomb, the shrapnel had also affected his left eye so it was always precarious, it's not like explosions are surgical instruments.