Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

ruddiger posted:

He should do a follow up where he starts stalking Stan.

Kinda like (exactly like) the song Lee from Tenacious D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1e5H4Cs5M

"Skinny dipping in a sea of Lee". That Tenacious D album is better than it has any right to be.

I cannot bring myself to listen to any of that new Em album and just reading those lyric reviews causes physical pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Black Thought measures up with anyone alive or dead

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/brckhmptn/status/941384491423039488?s=17

Last album my rear end!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:worship:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
NERD album leaked and it's loving crazy. It's going to be polarizing as hell but it's what Humanz should have been imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Got the new Eminem on here in work. Gonna see how far I can make it.

Brave move opening with the single that everyone hates!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still haven't listened to that one.

Does it really have no drums? Like lol, what was he thinking? Though you could probably say that about the entire album

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Godspeed brave goon.

HorseRenoir posted:

NERD album leaked and it's loving crazy. It's going to be polarizing as hell but it's what Humanz should have been imo

Been really looking forward to this. I know a lot of people didn't like the Rihanna track but I thought it was awesome and had really interesting production.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty sure they haven't even tuned Alicia Keys vocals properly. It sounds loving terrible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AH THIS ALBUM IS 80 MINUTES!!!

gently caress outtttta here

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I feel bad for laughing at your pain but you brought this on yourself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is such a loving chore. It's sooooo long and bad

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Black Thought measures up with anyone alive or dead

https://twitter.com/Evidence/status/941397326022590464

Also this is :lol:
https://twitter.com/mattwhitlockPM/status/941359111635169281

highme fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2017

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
hey this NERD album ain't bad

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

assuming saturation 3 is as good as the first two, my AOTY is, easily, by a mile, "the best five tracks from each saturation album in a playlist"

Make this spotify playlist and share it with me

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

This is such a loving chore. It's sooooo long and bad

i was going to comedy listen to it after that diet caffeine free migos impersonation was leaked because that was the hardest ive laughed in weeks, is it not worth it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hughesta posted:

Yeah I have changed my tune I have to say. Deep Down Body Thurst and Kites are really good.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

hughesta posted:

haven't listened yet but it really seems like they did a disservice to themselves releasing those tracks as singles (except for Lemon, which still bangs outta context). exact same problem that Humanz had; I'm starting to get really annoyed by the major label playbook of dropping a full fuckin third of an album before the release date

bows1 posted:

Make this spotify playlist and share it with me

tbh the best songs on Saturation I & II are basically just the songs Spotify lists as their ten most popular, outside of like, two slightly-deeper cuts. they're pretty uneven albums but I think is fun to listen to them all the way through at least once because Brockhampton is a huge collective and you get a real sense of all the different people and vibes they're trying to collect

I'll probably post one after I've had a few listen throughs of Saturation III tho

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 14, 2017

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Black Thought does 10 minutes of purestrain freestyle rappity-rap and y'all talking about Eminem.

SAD!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Black Thought does 10 minutes of purestrain freestyle rappity-rap and y'all talking about Eminem.

SAD!

Just listened to this freestyle twice and its probably the best one I have heard in years if not ever, holy poo poo.

highme
May 25, 2001

The Modern Leper posted:

SAD!

It takes a long time to get through 10 minutes of Black Thought. You gotta rewind it every few bars because you're not sure he said what you think he said, and then you gotta rewind again because he did say that and it was dope.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I still need to put in full listens but FIGHT on SATURATION II was what really clicked outside of their videos.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
yeah this Black Thought freestyle is loving awesome

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Stoked about saturation 3 dude

Also honestly playboi carti tape this year is actually still good

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Even if the music isn’t as consistent as it used to be, the album art sure as gently caress is. I didn’t think he could beat Woptober but here we are. It also fits w him calling himself “The Glacier”

Also, that Black Thought freestyle was loving killer. Where should I start w The Roots?

I continue to get more into Dedication and it probably makes my top 5 for the year.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

SimpleCoax posted:

I appreciate lots of stuff I’ve found in here, but it’s killing me when people are hyped on Chief Keef, Young xyz, Lil etc, etc. I can get down with some ignorant rap music, but who can I (your boy) listen to these days that isn’t tryna out-lazy the next guy? I have to move on from Freddie Gibbs, Dopplegangaz, Danny Brown, RTJ, and my classics, e.g. The Alkaholiks, Percee P and what not. Apple music’s “for you” basically shows me the albums in my library. It’s so terrible for finding music. Feels like it’s getting harder.

So yeah you might like the new Statik Selektah album.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ruddiger posted:

He should do a follow up where he starts stalking Stan.

he should do a follow-up where Stan's brother kidnaps him, and then Eminem is the one who's actually in the trunk of the car, and it's because of the Stan thing, but it's also because Stan's brother is mad at Eminem for all the bad things he said in his songs, and it's an actual real song, and it's the opener to an album he called the Marshal Mathers LP 2

highme
May 25, 2001

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, that Black Thought freestyle was loving killer. Where should I start w The Roots?

Things Fall Apart
Undun
Do You Want More??!?!
Illadelph Halflife
and Then You Shoot Your Cousin

And there are a couple of "greatest hits" jawns out there that might be a good listen if this is truly your first exposure to them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ElNarez posted:

he should do a follow-up where Stan's brother kidnaps him, and then Eminem is the one who's actually in the trunk of the car, and it's because of the Stan thing, but it's also because Stan's brother is mad at Eminem for all the bad things he said in his songs, and it's an actual real song, and it's the opener to an album he called the Marshal Mathers LP 2
lol at the people who actually fell for the garbage nostalgia the dude was peddling in mmlp2
I know a couple unfortunately

RIP Marshall Bruce Mathers 1966-2003 tragically killed in lean related aviation accident before he could even put out Encore. Whatever that is.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

highme posted:

Things Fall Apart
Undun
Do You Want More??!?!
Illadelph Halflife

And there are a couple of "greatest hits" jawns out there that might be a good listen if this is truly your first exposure to them.

Thanks!

Also, I hosed up and posted this in the wrong thread

Boywhiz88 posted:

I figured it out. Eminem is actively making terrible music in an attempt to become extremely lame and not a star, so he can live his life in quiet seclusion w Hailie and the rest of the members of D12.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

NERD album is woker than Jim Carrey.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

highme posted:

Things Fall Apart
Undun
Do You Want More??!?!
Illadelph Halflife

And Then You Shoot Your Cousin is the one Roots album that's not at all worth listening to imo.

Everything up through Phrenology is pretty jazzy and closer to classic backpack sound. Their material afterward is much darker, both musically (except for How I Got Over) and lyrically. They're insanely consistent as far as quality goes but I personally prefer the stuff from Phrenology up through undun. Game Theory might be the best one.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you're looking to hear Black Thought featured and at his best, Game Theory and Rising Down

If you just want the best Roots albums, Do You Want More, Illadelph Halflife, Organix, and Things Fall Apart (which is by far their best album-I've always had a theory that the reason Phrenology was so different and they moved away from their live/jazzy sound is because Questlove knew they couldn't do better than Things Fall Apart).

Everything after Rising Down i think is pretty much super boring. That's the time they became Fallon's house band, quit touring, and started making adult contemporary rap albums.

Also if you do like the early stuff I would also recommend their live album. For the longest time they were probably the best live act in rap.

highme
May 25, 2001

75 Bars is one of my favorite tracks for showcasing Black Thought's ferocity on the mic.

alansmithee posted:

Also if you do like the early stuff I would also recommend their live album. For the longest time they were probably the best live act in rap.

One of the best shows I've ever seen was The Roots in 1995 at La Luna in Portland. They're set was over 2 hours long with a 30ish minutes solo Rahzel set during intermission where he just did covers of early 90s classics by himself.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

A little late but I’ll never say no to more 21

https://youtu.be/a3PpYLI4c2o

EDIT: thanks for the info!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

this is honestly insane. for some reason i love that "i'm all ears, like obama" line.

also "sippin on something with a strong taste, like whiskey or bootleg bourbon with a corn base"

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 15, 2017

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Can we all appreciate for a moment cool rap dad using philly slang when talking about a philly artist?

highme
May 25, 2001

If you're an Apple Music user, Saturation III just dropped. (According to my daughter as I don't use it)

Robert Analog posted:

Can we all appreciate for a moment cool rap dad using philly slang when talking about a philly artist?

:respek:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s dropped

It’s good as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

This album brings great joy to me, he doesn't deserve to be called Eminem after this album. His name is Marshall, the legendary rapper of all time. This gives me great strength and motivation to continue my journey in life. This album had brought me back to life and brought the tears to an end. gently caress TRUMP, I love Ed Sheeran's feature, I believe that it adds diversity to Marshal's music. Beyonce continues to perform tremendously even with an alternate music star. I give this album a 5/5, with the album of the year title.