Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I don't know what game you're playing but Overwatch is a social experiment to see if six people can independently recognize the same goal and work at it in a manner similar to monkeys writing Shakespeare. They can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times?!?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's not that big of a if as she's a flank class just like the Spy. Pros will engage when the death-balls run into each other and she'll lock out whatever target needed before they realize it.

The hack only takes a second or two to complete, but in the middle of a firefight that's a lot more time than you'd think. The counterplay to good teamwork is good teamwork--if the other team has a Sombra sneaking up on you, you need to recognize that's what she's doing (and you should know she's coming because you can just press tab) and have somebody ready to whip around and drop a few shots in her the instant she starts that hack. The person on Sombra duty might have to split their attention a bit fighting and watching their back at the same time, which means they might not be able to contribute to the direct teamfight as much, but since the time that person spends keeping an eye out for Sombra is time Sombra spends sneaking around the back not directly helping her team, even in the worst case scenario it's a wash.

If you drop your guard and let her sneak up on you while her team is keeping you busy then yeah, getting hacked is going to be really punishing. Sombra's presence forces you to stay vigilant and divert resources away from the teamfight towards making sure she doesn't screw you over from the back, which is basically what other flankers like Tracer and Genji already do anyway. And if your problem is that you can't count on anybody watching your back because your team of randos are all oblivious uncoordinated idiots, well, the randos Sombra's playing with are probably oblivious uncoordinated idiots too. That's just standard procedure for solo queue.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 7, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Manatee Cannon posted:

drop translocator
cloak behind enemy team
ult
warp back for free

She also has a lot of verticality. If hacking doesn't have a visual effect people are not necessarily going to notice someone on the high grounds hacking down on them until they're hacked.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

This is going to spawn a lot of 'puppetmaster' memes

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
With Sombra I was watching Stylosa at blizzcon playing Sombra,

Its very much an easy flanker and can be quite annoying - think Mei with a mercy block.

You see 5 people dead and mercy running in ... Ult and then kill mercy.

You see lucio drop the beat... Ult and kill the shield

You see rein protecting his team mates in the huddle on a choke... Ult or hack rein and let the slaughter begin.

Insanely fun and can't mess up your team like Mei can.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the mercy thing is something I'd not considered before. gonna be even harder to get that hero res now. I mean yea, it blows your ult, but sometimes the mercy res is the only way the other team can get another fight in before overtime runs out. tho even if you blow it and the mercy gets the ult off, you can just use yours and the newly res'd enemy team is just gonna get slaughtered all over again. sorry mercy, you still suck

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Comparisons to Mei aren't disheartening but I'd be lying if I said my eye didn't twitch reflexively.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't think she's really like mei at all. she'll be tough to kill, but she's more like a tracer who is hard to pin down than a mei who just goes loving invulnerable

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was being facetious

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I was being facetious

oh ok my bad. its 2 am

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Sombra is a close range 200 hp hero with no reliable way to negate incoming damage, Aka she is reaper food.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

oh ok my bad. its 2 am

Nah it's a really good point and from the evidence I've seen I agree.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Sombra is a close range 200 hp hero with no reliable way to negate incoming damage, Aka she is reaper food.

Sombra wont be fighting where reaper is lol unless its like an overtime clusterfuck

Like, im pretty sure dying is completely optional on Sombra due to her kit and how strong hacked health packs are. Enemy team needs to seriously divert attention to deal with you decisively. Like with all annoying heroes the best answer to sombra will be mccree and winston

ALso she is not as close range as tracer, the blizz dude hanging over the showfloor players shoulder (unitlost guy) said her falloff is equal to soldier but with more spread, so you can much more easily pick off people or get ult at range. I wonder how good her tapping is.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ColHannibal posted:

I legit can't wait to hook her the second she comes out of stealth over and over.

I hope I don't have to do the awkward turn hook.

E:

In other news, put me on a team

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/Dogstile-2487

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Hacking someone gives you vision of them longer than it disables their abilities, that and her passive are tailor made for screwing Mercy out of big rezzes. Ult, kill team, follow her to her hiding place while stealthed, hack her because her weapon is dodgeable, voice line, kill and stagger her spawn. In general she'd be really good for staggering people's spawns. All the other guys with vision abilities are snipers and zenyatta, not heroes with the kits to chase people down and toy with them after fights.

Also I bet she has a good "hello" gesture while hacking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A lot of Sombra fantasy scenarios involve your opponents being totally inept.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I know diamond pros will never ever get hacked unless she ults, but I'm only almost plat so I can dream.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And a lot of Sombra nightmares come from knowing your team is inept

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

The hack only takes a second or two to complete, but in the middle of a firefight that's a lot more time than you'd think. The counterplay to good teamwork is good teamwork--if the other team has a Sombra sneaking up on you, you need to recognize that's what she's doing (and you should know she's coming because you can just press tab) and have somebody ready to whip around and drop a few shots in her the instant she starts that hack. The person on Sombra duty might have to split their attention a bit fighting and watching their back at the same time, which means they might not be able to contribute to the direct teamfight as much, but since the time that person spends keeping an eye out for Sombra is time Sombra spends sneaking around the back not directly helping her team, even in the worst case scenario it's a wash.

If you drop your guard and let her sneak up on you while her team is keeping you busy then yeah, getting hacked is going to be really punishing. Sombra's presence forces you to stay vigilant and divert resources away from the teamfight towards making sure she doesn't screw you over from the back, which is basically what other flankers like Tracer and Genji already do anyway. And if your problem is that you can't count on anybody watching your back because your team of randos are all oblivious uncoordinated idiots, well, the randos Sombra's playing with are probably oblivious uncoordinated idiots too. That's just standard procedure for solo queue.

It's very much a feast or famine type of playstyle. But because it's so swingy, it forces the enemy team to play around the Sombra rather than adapting to it. People keep acting like Sombra is going to die the second she tries to hack someone, when in reality a decent player will just translocate away if they take too much fire.

Another thing people are missing is that she is a skinny and small hitbox. Not everything will connect if you're Reaper/Roadhog.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

slydingdoor posted:

Hacking someone gives you vision of them longer than it disables their abilities

Sombra's vision isn't based on hacking a target at all. It's a passive called 'opportunist' that lets her see any enemies under 50% health.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's very much a feast or famine type of playstyle. But because it's so swingy, it forces the enemy team to play around the Sombra rather than adapting to it. People keep acting like Sombra is going to die the second she tries to hack someone, when in reality a decent player will just translocate away if they take too much fire.

Another thing people are missing is that she is a skinny and small hitbox. Not everything will connect if you're Reaper/Roadhog.

If you can hit tracer, you can hit sombra though. Not many people have problems with tracer at plat or higher.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Had a few POTGs last night as Zenyatta, not a single one with Transcendence. All were Discord and then headshots, cleaning up. The team we were paired up with even commented on me hogging all the POTGs. :feelsgood:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Sombra's vision isn't based on hacking a target at all. It's a passive called 'opportunist' that lets her see any enemies under 50% health.

Yeah I didn't proofread that quite right. I'll break it down more clearly and correctly: Mercy does need to be damaged after the EMP to know her location, but when you EMP hack her you still see her ult status, for longer than the ability block as long as you get line of sight. Even if she got ulted and survived the fight with above half life you'll at least have the knowledge of whether she built up the ult and is hiding around looking for it or didn't and is just probably just running.

Normally it's a mad dash to kill a Mercy during/after a fight, which doesn't stagger her spawn, but Sombra knows when to kill her and when she staggers her spawn more and stalls the next push by a few seconds by refreshing the hack first. Or, if you've killed her team and have EMP up and she flies in for the big rez, you could solo-EMP her and deny it, say hello, crouch spam, emote, refresh the hack, then kill her much later. If she's now missed her team's respawn timers, triply denied from ulting, you could all SAKE yourselves hoarse and stagger her spawn real bad. It's just a weird thing I thought of that other heroes can't already do.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Does winston lightning gun hit invis sombra?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Actually, they're two separate things. Sombra's passive allows her (and only her) to see low-health enemies wherever they are on the map, but hacking an enemy, in addition to disabling that enemy's skills for six seconds, gives Sombra and her team vision of that enemy and the ability to see their ult status for thirty seconds. I'm not sure if EMP hacking triggers that part of the ability, though.

Kashuno posted:

Yes. Symmetra's beam can, too, but only if Sombra is close enough for Symmetra to see through her cloak--otherwise it won't lock on.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

A majority of people can barely play Ana after this long but some of you guys think the world is going to be Mr. Robot as soon as she drops.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

^burtle posted:

A majority of people can barely play Ana after this long but some of you guys think the world is going to be Mr. Robot as soon as she drops.

I can't wait to accidentally one shot cloaked sombras while shooting at someone else as reaper

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The other big change on the PTR is the increase to Ult costs. It is going to be frustrating to spend so much time building up an Ult to have sombra eat it.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ImPureAwesome posted:

I can't wait to accidentally one shot cloaked sombras while shooting at someone else as reaper

The Hanjo experience :airquote:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dietrich posted:

The other big change on the PTR is the increase to Ult costs. It is going to be frustrating to spend so much time building up an Ult to have sombra eat it.

Ult eating is already a thing though. DVa can eat like half the ults in the game with her defense matrix, Ana/Roadhog/McCree can stun people out of them, and Zenyatta and Lucio can also invalidate quite a few of them with their own ults. Sombra being able to negate the ults of other characters is neither new nor unique.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Naerasa posted:

Ult eating is already a thing though. DVa can eat like half the ults in the game with her defense matrix, Ana/Roadhog/McCree can stun people out of them, and Zenyatta and Lucio can also invalidate quite a few of them with their own ults. Sombra being able to negate the ults of other characters is neither new nor unique.

What is new is that she can guarantee ults. No more Zen/Lucio/Reinhardt-Shield cockblocks as the Zarya ult comes out. You're going to be eating team combos from any organized group.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

the one good thing about spy in tf2 was accidentally headshotting one that was cloaked and having them complain about it in chat

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Kashuno posted:

Think of Winstons weapon as firing a cone of lightning out in front of him rather than a lock on type thing like Symmetra. The electric visuals are just cosmetic, mean nothing and will sometimes be deceiving. The cone is good, the cone is honest, the cone will never lie to you. Trust the cone.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

According to one Blizz staffer from the show floor, Winston cannot hit a cloaked Sombra with his cannon. His weapon behaves the same as Symmetra for the purposes of locking on targets. There's a lot of confusion about Sombra's mechanics, even from Blizzard employees (because she was changing so rapidly), so this may be incorrect.

Also Sombra's going on PTR in like 10 minutes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Another Blizzard employee said Winston was the single best pick to check for a cloaked Sombra, and I'm more inclined to believe the latter because it makes way more sense. She's invisible, not intangible.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

novaSphere posted:

According to one Blizz staffer from the show floor, Winston cannot hit a cloaked Sombra with his cannon. His weapon behaves the same as Symmetra for the purposes of locking on targets. There's a lot of confusion about Sombra's mechanics, even from Blizzard employees (because she was changing so rapidly), so this may be incorrect.

Also Sombra's going on PTR in like 10 minutes

I just think that was a gaffe on their part because the cone man is absolutely correct with how winston's gun works

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Not trying to be pedantic, but the cone is just a graphical representation too. My understanding is that Winston's gun technically "locks on" to targets just like Symmetra's gun does. We'll just have to test it properly once Sombra's available.

Unless cone guy is actually a systems design at Blizzard then I dunno I'm sorry :shobon:

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 7, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

novaSphere posted:

Not trying to be pedantic, but the cone is just a graphical representation. Winston's gun technically "locks on" to targets just like Symmetra's gun does. We'll just have to test it properly once Sombra's available.

This is backwards. The locking-on lightning bolts are a graphical representation for the damage cone. You don't see a graphic of a big solid cone when you fire Winston's gun, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

No, but you do see a bunch of lightning shooting out in front of you so you have an idea of what the range is. Again, what I was told was probably wrong re: Winston vs. Sombra stealth, but PTR is gonna be updated shortly so just try it