Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boiled Water posted:

It was a joke for the server racks of mac minis. I guess also a clear question, why not just use vms instead of banks of aluminium husks?

Probably compliance with the license agreement assuming they wish to use Mac OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

They don't care and they are on the OpenCL train with AMD
I don't think they've been on the OpenCL train for a while, they're all in on Metal at this point.

As for the new MP, same wacky prediction I had a while back: a slot or two but with with a funky caveat like short length cards only, and only PCIe SSDs for storage (in whatever specific form factor that may be). I can't see them bothering with 2.5" drive bays.

If the Mac mini survives it'll probably just be big enough for the heat sink (...or "all new thermal architecture" or whatever). Course that's being super vague and could be anything from a NUC type to a little cooling tower with desktop CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GutBomb posted:

Probably compliance with the license agreement assuming they wish to use Mac OS.

The Macs Mini are shells, unpowered and not running, for plausible deniability.

Behind that rack is a single Dell blade system running a hacked copy of VMware and 100 OS X Client VMs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

I don't think he (Electric Bugaloo) ever had to do anything serious on the TrashCan because it's a motherfucking pain to actually get to the CPU or switch out either of the graphic cards. Not complex, but very very tedious because of Apple's "I hate the techs who actually have to work on these" philosophy.

Maybe the RAM is easier to switch out because it's right there, but IMHO absoutely nothing else is. I've had to switch out GPU #2 a few dozen times and it's suuuuper tedious. Comparing the TrashCan to the cMP is like comparing a real car to a Tonka toy IMHO.

Also nthing Apple's commitment failures because neither AMD or nVidia ever made any other GPUs available in the crappy short size GPU format or the crappy short size with a loving PCIe slot for the system SSD embedded on the board format either.

Yeah, people who care about size/noise/heat can feel free to hate on the cMP all they want, but I've found it pretty amazing to work on. At this point I've swapped out the CPU, RAM, installed a 2.5 mm SSD PCIe adapter card, the GTX 980, replaced the SuperDrive and the PSU, and added an airport card to it. It's been amazingly simple to work on.

On an unrelated note, do you have your MP on a UPS?

Edit:

japtor posted:

As for the new MP, same wacky prediction I had a while back: a slot or two but with with a funky caveat like short length cards only, and only PCIe SSDs for storage (in whatever specific form factor that may be). I can't see them bothering with 2.5" drive bays.

Honestly if it meant having a couple of PCIe slots back, I'd be ok with it. There's enough small GPU options now that it could be done. They even have SFF 1080 Ti cards now. At the same time, the professional cards (Volta, Vega Pro) probably won't be small format cards so if Apple truly has learned from the Trashcan, they'll provision space.

Edit 2: I thought the NCASE M1 was mATX but it's mITX. Whoops.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 10, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

~Coxy posted:

Behind that rack is a single Dell blade system running a hacked copy of VMware and 100 OS X Client VMs.

Just like those RAWK BANDS that play in front of a 12'x40' backdrop of fake Marshall stacks

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is there any hardware which can function as a Thunderbolt "hub" and add more TB ports? Every dock I see only has two ports and uses one to connect to a Mac.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Pretty sure it's from Microsoft's Mac Office team, doing testing.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Dick Nipples posted:

I had the LG5K. It was trash. I bought two Dell P2415Q's - both are 4K.

There weren't any 5K monitors comparable in appearance to the LG5K so I just went for the two 4K.

How have you liked the Dell P2415Qs? These look like they're about what I need.

Edit: Did you get the dual monitor display stand that Dell makes? And what display cable did you connect through? (Wondering how many dongles I'm going to have to deal with!)

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 11, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I see someone selling a Mac Mini with a 680gb Fusion drive, and the screenshot confirms 'Fusion' but shows a logical volume of a 180gb Intel SSD and a 500gb Apple 'branded' drive, this is a DIY bodge yeah? I don't really want to deal with Fusion so if I can reverse this and have a 180gb fast system/apps drive and a 500gb storage (mainly iTunes I guess as all my photo stuff is on a WD 2tb USB 3 external which I'm guessing would bench a bit faster anyway) it sounds better to me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

How have you liked the Dell P2415Qs? These look like they're about what I need.

Edit: Did you get the dual monitor display stand that Dell makes? And what display cable did you connect through? (Wondering how many dongles I'm going to have to deal with!)

I didn't get the dual monitor stand. I do really enjoy the monitors though. They're great for the price point - I paid about $725 for the two of them at the time.

The 24 inch is great for Retina standard displays. If you don't know what that means then lookup what the Apple standard is for DPI. In other words, 27" 4K is actually not great. On the other hand 24" 4K is excellent.

I actually bought DisplayPort to USB-c cables. They work great and I've had no problems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is Apple known to use some kind of byproduct in their Earpods that animals like to eat? Cause my cat keeps chewing the poo poo out of mine, especially when I just bought a new pair two hours ago god loving dammit.

If anybody knows how to repair a chewed up portion of the wire, I'd love some advice.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 11, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pollyanna posted:

Is Apple known to use some kind of byproduct in their Earpods that animals like to eat? Cause my cat keeps chewing the poo poo out of mine, especially when I just bought a new pair two hours ago god loving dammit.

If anybody knows how to repair a chewed up portion of the wire, I'd love some advice.

Is that the kitty in your av? Would pet that catte.

I've heard of cats having habits of chewing on some kinds of wire. You could try smearing on some of that odorant that's supposed to repel cats which most pet stores sell, but that might not be great for other reasons. (On the plus side if you can't fix your earpods you've got some junk to test on to see if it discolors the insulation or has other undesirable effects!)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He's adorable when he's not being a hellion. Which is basically just when he chews stuff up.

The earbuds are done and gone, so I'm gonna move on and buy some headphones instead. I do have Bitter Apple, but that doesn't seem to faze him.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Weird, my cat chews constantly on my apple dongles but never any other cords. He's never chewed another cord ever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

St. John Coltrane posted:

I work from home and my usual workflow involves having at least three applications open and running:
- Microsoft Word, often large and complex documents
- Video player for playback and manipulation (speed, reverse, etc.) of single video files, often large hi-res
- Dragon Dictate for concurrent text input

Crashes are common on my current setup (mid-2012 MacBook Pro), and I'm looking to upgrade.

I prefer a desktop, and I've been looking at both older Mac Pros and Mac Minis. Basically I've been looking at different flavors of these two ideas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152577449909?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252978645765?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm unsure which processor and system will best suit my needs, any thoughts?

The Mac Pro owns but High Sierra is going to be the last OS update you will get. The mini will (hopefully) get a couple more OS updates out of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How hard is it for Apple to stick an Intel NUC into a Mac Mini shell and charge $700 for it. Just make one, drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rally posted:

Weird, my cat chews constantly on my apple dongles but never any other cords. He's never chewed another cord ever.

You know, you might be onto something. The only thing I've really ever had him chew on besides my Macbook power cable, Lightning cable, and my Earpods (:argh:) was my WiiU tablet power cord. And in that last case, it's for sure an animal product thing - but it was also really easy to repair.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cats have an ornate sense of spite, and sniffing out expense.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I see someone selling a Mac Mini with a 680gb Fusion drive, and the screenshot confirms 'Fusion' but shows a logical volume of a 180gb Intel SSD and a 500gb Apple 'branded' drive, this is a DIY bodge yeah? I don't really want to deal with Fusion so if I can reverse this and have a 180gb fast system/apps drive and a 500gb storage (mainly iTunes I guess as all my photo stuff is on a WD 2tb USB 3 external which I'm guessing would bench a bit faster anyway) it sounds better to me.
Oh man it's been a minute since I thought about Fusion drives (does Apple still offer it in any products?). Yeah that sounds like a DIY job, but whether it's an official or DIY Fusion setup you can always undo it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FCKGW posted:

The Mac Pro owns but High Sierra is going to be the last OS update you will get. The mini will (hopefully) get a couple more OS updates out of it.

Is the Mac Pro comment something that Apple announced or are you just arbitrarily saying that?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh man it's been a minute since I thought about Fusion drives (does Apple still offer it in any products?).

It's standard on all the 2017 refresh 27" iMac configs and one 21" 4K config. Optional in the rest of the iMacs and probably the Mini.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wonder if they'll leverage Optane for that in the future.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh man it's been a minute since I thought about Fusion drives (does Apple still offer it in any products?). Yeah that sounds like a DIY job, but whether it's an official or DIY Fusion setup you can always undo it.

Cool, didn't know you could undo the official one but those drives are so small on the SSD side I guess it's not worth doing. I think they used to offer 3tb fusions but the ones I'm seeing for the newest iMacs only go to 2tb. The lack of ssd in my iMac was the only thing that let it down and it made my Air feel like it was outpacing it sometimes so no way I'm going back to just spinning.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Is the Mac Pro comment something that Apple announced or are you just arbitrarily saying that?

Just a hunch. Sierra dropped pre-2010 Mac Pros and I think when the new Pros drop next year or two they can move the generation requirements up again to 2012 or newer.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cool, didn't know you could undo the official one but those drives are so small on the SSD side I guess it's not worth doing.

I think you might have a mistaken impression that there's a large difference between unofficial and official Fusion. There's no custom hardware involved. Fusion is implemented in CoreStorage, the macOS logical volume manager. It doesn't care whether the physical drives are Apple labeled.

Apple didn't provide any GUI tools to format Fusion volumes, but they did build that capability into their 'diskutil' command line tool. diskutil's documentation doesn't really talk about Fusion, but naturally people on the internet have reverse engineered what options to use, so guides are a google search away.

If you buy that machine you should play around with it set up as Fusion to see if you like it. Long as the SSD and HDD are good ones, you don't need to worry about any higher risk of it spontaneously breaking on you than an official fusion drive.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

For some reason my earpod cables have a particularly disgusting taste.

:catdrugs:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My cat really loves using the edges of the MacBook Pro display to scratch his face. It's both cute and annoying.

Mac Hardware megathread - They're cat toys, too

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pivo posted:

My cat really loves using the edges of the MacBook Pro display to scratch his face. It's both cute and annoying.

Mac Hardware megathread - They're cat toys, too

They're actually scenting it. Your cat owns it now, sorry.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SwissCM posted:

They're actually scenting it. Your cat owns it now, sorry.

On the Internet, nobody knows...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobHoward posted:

I think you might have a mistaken impression that there's a large difference between unofficial and official Fusion. There's no custom hardware involved. Fusion is implemented in CoreStorage, the macOS logical volume manager. It doesn't care whether the physical drives are Apple labeled.

Oh interesting, I was always under the impression hardware wise for the official ones it was a single physical unit due to the SSD size reportedly being tiny for most implementations.

quote:

If you buy that machine you should play around with it set up as Fusion to see if you like it. Long as the SSD and HDD are good ones, you don't need to worry about any higher risk of it spontaneously breaking on you than an official fusion drive.

I've found one I'm more interested in, but it's good to have the info to hand as everything I'm looking at does have both ssd and spinning disks. I've always liked Fusion from an 'on paper' POV but always read so many people complain about how it doesn't really get you the speeds you were hoping, and the automated movement of files between the drives doesn't work that good. I just presumed putting system and apps on the ssd by hand, and content on the other drive would just simplify everything. I don't really want it moving something I don't use often but would really benefit from the speed off the ssd because I'm listening some albums a bunch of times, but maybe it's smarter than that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It is smarter than that and I don't think there are 2 drive bays in a Mac mini so it would have to be VERY custom (not worth the effort) for someone to have a spinning platter and an solid state drive in there. I'm thinking that it's a legit fusion drive and that's just how the hardware reporter is displaying the info.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GutBomb posted:

It is smarter than that and I don't think there are 2 drive bays in a Mac mini so it would have to be VERY custom (not worth the effort) for someone to have a spinning platter and an solid state drive in there. I'm thinking that it's a legit fusion drive and that's just how the hardware reporter is displaying the info.

2010-2012 minis can fit two drives, you just need to get the dual cable. I believe the server version had dual drive as a BTO option and the cases are the same.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Drive-Kit/IF171-005-1

I had a diy fusion in my 2010 mini and it worked the same as a regular fusion drive because you're using the same apple tools. If you have a big enough SSD you'll see same performance as you would separate drives.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 11, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a 2008 White Macbook I'm having an issue with. It will not charge or run from the battery. Things I have tried:

1) Reset SMC
2) Different A/C adapter
3) Bought new battery.

Lion can see the battery but says it's not charging. The new battery I bought has about 70% charge which OS X can see but will not power on. Light on charger stays green. Coconut Battery sees the battery but says that it's charging with 0.0 watts.

Any thoughts? I'm giving this away but I would like to get the battery fixed first if I can.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Those have a separate power board that connects to the mainboard, don't they?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+Duo+MagSafe+Board+Replacement/288

I'd try that, if you're really intent on salvaging it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh interesting, I was always under the impression hardware wise for the official ones it was a single physical unit due to the SSD size reportedly being tiny for most implementations.

Originally the Fusion SSD was always 128GB, but the past couple of years or so Apple decided to reduce cost on 1TB configs by using a weird 24GB SSD instead. It's still a separate drive, just small. Natural confusion though, what with things like Seagate's SSHDs which integrate a small amount of flash into a spinning disk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pivo posted:

Those have a separate power board that connects to the mainboard, don't they?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+Duo+MagSafe+Board+Replacement/288

I'd try that, if you're really intent on salvaging it.

$2.45 from PowerbookMedic. I already took it apart to get a kids toy out of the Superdirve, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks Pivo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

FCKGW posted:

Just a hunch. Sierra dropped pre-2010 Mac Pros and I think when the new Pros drop next year or two they can move the generation requirements up again to 2012 or newer.

If they require Metal going forward it'll be interesting. Maybe they'll let you run it if you have the right video card?

* Nvidia – GeForce gtx 4xx and newer
* Intel – HD4000 and newer (ivy bridge and newer)
* AMD – HD7000 and newer

GutBomb posted:

2012 and earlier have room for two 2.5" drives. 2014 has one 2.5" and a spot for a pcie SSD stick.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Cool, didn't know you could undo the official one but those drives are so small on the SSD side I guess it's not worth doing. I think they used to offer 3tb fusions but the ones I'm seeing for the newest iMacs only go to 2tb. The lack of ssd in my iMac was the only thing that let it down and it made my Air feel like it was outpacing it sometimes so no way I'm going back to just spinning.

The two highest end 27-inch iMacs can be custom configured with 2TB or 3TB Fusion drives, but the 21-inch iMacs no longer have an option for anything higher than 1TB, be it Fusion or SSD.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the 13" TB MBP the way to go as a do-everything computer? Are any of the CPU upgrades worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
iPad Pro is actually the do everything computer.