Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Blue Train posted:

If you go to crutchfields website they will filter their products by what fits your car and you can filter by what amenities like whell controls work. Then you can buy it somewhere else because they are overpriced

Crutchfield may seem overpriced on the surface, but they warranty everything they sell and provide everything needed for the install for close to free. They will also give you instructions on the specific vehicle you're installing it in, and they offer phone support to help you with your install. If Crutchfield has what you're looking for, you really shouldn't​ buy from anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Finally jumped over to Android and need a Twitter client with good list support, anyone have a favorite? Mobile Twitter pinned to the home screen is pretty decent but doesn't handle lists at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tivac posted:

Finally jumped over to Android and need a Twitter client with good list support, anyone have a favorite? Mobile Twitter pinned to the home screen is pretty decent but doesn't handle lists at all.

I use the official client and it works fine with lists, but my list demands are few and humble.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Starting a few days ago, I haven't been able to install or update apps from the Play Store. I can download a new app (or app update) and the progress bar stays at 100% but never goes into the "Installing..." animation. Or sometimes an app does install, but it take 5-15 minutes to go into "Installing..." even for a ~400kb app (Disk Usage). Most of the time, I just wake up to a long backlog of apps that have updates available, but the first top one in the list just has "5.94 MB/5.94 MB Downloaded" but it never actually gets installed.

I'm able to download and install apks from other sources (Amazon Underground, Netguard from github, etc.) just fine. Also, the phone is still buttery smooth. The only issue that I can find is that apps won't update and install from the Play Store.

- I've cleared cache and storage from both the Play Store and Google Play Services.
- I've uninstalled as many new apps as I can think of from around the time the problem started.
- I have plenty of free space left ~5gb.
- The phone is a Pixel with 7.1.2, May security update
- Disabled/uninstalled Netguard. Not connecting through a VPN.
- Problem persists on wifi or cellular
- Around the same time, I've noticed that I haven't been getting Hangouts/Gmail notifications on time, if at all.

Are there any other things I should try before I remove and re-add my account and/or factory reset?

edit: I've also tried all of these: https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/6241347

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Try clearing the system cache partition maybe? You have to do it from recovery

E: I imagine it's similar for the pixel https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-clear-the-cache-on-the-nexus-6p

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lowcrabdiet posted:

Starting a few days ago, I haven't been able to install or update apps from the Play Store. I can download a new app (or app update) and the progress bar stays at 100% but never goes into the "Installing..." animation. Or sometimes an app does install, but it take 5-15 minutes to go into "Installing..." even for a ~400kb app (Disk Usage). Most of the time, I just wake up to a long backlog of apps that have updates available, but the first top one in the list just has "5.94 MB/5.94 MB Downloaded" but it never actually gets installed.

I'm able to download and install apks from other sources (Amazon Underground, Netguard from github, etc.) just fine. Also, the phone is still buttery smooth. The only issue that I can find is that apps won't update and install from the Play Store.

- I've cleared cache and storage from both the Play Store and Google Play Services.
- I've uninstalled as many new apps as I can think of from around the time the problem started.
Are there any other things I should try before I remove and re-add my account and/or factory reset?

edit: I've also tried all of these: https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/6241347

This shouldn't be it but before you wipe, try disabling Netguard and restarting the phone. Maybe wait an hour or so. Then try again. What can happen is the Download Manager can't connect through the VPN properly (but this bug was fixed ages ago and I don't think it will work).

If you go into your GMail and try to download an attachment and it fails, that's the issue (I think, I'm typing this from memory).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
So uh I guess Sprint is gonna be the ~exclusive~ carrier retailer for the Essential phone much like the Verizon/Pixel deal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2017/06/11/sprint-exclusive-carrier-essential-phone/102669726/

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

nimper posted:

So uh I guess Sprint is gonna be the ~exclusive~ carrier retailer for the Essential phone much like the Verizon/Pixel deal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2017/06/11/sprint-exclusive-carrier-essential-phone/102669726/

havin Palm Pre flashbacks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sprint lmao. You can still buy it unlocked at least so whatever, assuming they are able to maintain stock

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

This shouldn't be it but before you wipe, try disabling Netguard and restarting the phone. Maybe wait an hour or so. Then try again. What can happen is the Download Manager can't connect through the VPN properly (but this bug was fixed ages ago and I don't think it will work).

If you go into your GMail and try to download an attachment and it fails, that's the issue (I think, I'm typing this from memory).

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I've uninstalled Netguard days ago in an attempt to diagnose the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

lowcrabdiet posted:

- Disabled/uninstalled Netguard. Not connecting through a VPN.
- Problem persists on wifi or cellular
- Around the same time, I've noticed that I haven't been getting Hangouts/Gmail notifications on time, if at all.

You didn't mention it, but have you contacted Google with the support feature in your phone settings?

It probably won't help but if you can get your ticket escalated you might get somebody who can tell you what's going on

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

havin Palm Pre flashbacks.

Palm Pre had WebOS, thr best mobile OS ever made. :smith:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

The Duggler posted:

You didn't mention it, but have you contacted Google with the support feature in your phone settings?

It probably won't help but if you can get your ticket escalated you might get somebody who can tell you what's going on

Yeah, I did that after posting and they told me to reboot (edit: now that I think of it, I hadn't rebooted since the May OTA update and I remember it had a 900+ hour uptime, not sure if that's relevant). When that didn't work, they suggested a factory reset. I told them I have to backup some documents and I'll try the factory reset later.

Usually I wait for the OTA updates, but I'll just sideload this June update since I have nothing to lose. If that doesn't work, I'll factory reset.

It's strange -- the download notification will appear for an instant while the app is downloading but the app just doesn't install right away. After playing around with it, it seems apps eventually do update/install anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hrs later. Suddenly the "Installing..." notification will show an hour after I've tried to install a new app from the Play Store.

Again, downloading an apk from ApkMirror and installing it works normally. It's only apps from the Play Store that aren't cooperating.

edit: I can "force" the Play Store apps to install if I let the download get to 100% and reboot the phone. The new app/update will install immediately after I enter my password after reboot.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 12, 2017

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ratbert90 posted:

Palm Pre had WebOS, thr best mobile OS ever made. :smith:

And I loved that phone; if only it weren't crippled by the worst coverage I've ever had..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The hardware was pretty poo poo too, both in performance and durability. I'm just glad both iOS and Android eventually copied the "Cards" interface in their own ways, because that was far and away the best way to multitask on a phone at the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Over 10 years of using cellphones and I never broke a single one until this week where I dropped two of the sons of bitches and smashed their screens (still functional though) in relatively quick succession
Xperia x and moto x 2014 for the record
If I buy that ceramic and titanium phone I'm still putting it in the shittiest ugliest silicone case

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've taught her well.

wife posted:

I'm heading to the Verizon store to see if I want an s8 or a Pixel

me posted:

ok, have fun

wife 10 min later posted:

I'm getting a PixelXL

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Magnetic car mounts are good enough reason to use a case. Protecting the phone is secondary to that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Magnetic car mounts are good enough reason to use a case. Protecting the phone is secondary to that.

This guy gets me. I was so sad I couldn't use my magnetic mount with my 2nd gen Moto X.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Agreed, I have that Spigen CD tray magnetic mount and it's loving awesome

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Just got the S8 after 2 years with a Note 4, pretty impressed so far. Same screen size (albeit different form factor) but the phone feels absolutely tiny in comparison. I can actually sit down without having to take it out of my pocket!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

The hardware was pretty poo poo too, both in performance and durability. I'm just glad both iOS and Android eventually copied the "Cards" interface in their own ways, because that was far and away the best way to multitask on a phone at the time.

Also the guy that designed WebOS came over to Google and became their Sir Jony Ives Design Guru.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've taught her well.

The biggest thing is that she considered it. My sister wouldn't get anything but an S7 because anything but iPhones or Samsung were weird off-brands she was scared of.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've used both the Galaxy 8 and pixel XL now and from what I can tell the user experience is much more fluid with the pixel XL. My only gripe is I wish the camera app had more manual controls.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

I've used both the Galaxy 8 and pixel XL now and from what I can tell the user experience is much more fluid with the pixel XL. My only gripe is I wish the camera app had more manual controls.

I'd like more manual controls just to see how far you can push the thing but taking something like this from a moving car at ~9:15PM (facing due W, sun is already below the horizon) is utterly bonkers postproc wizardry:

Big:

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Willing to trust LG's manufacturing process if this rumor is true regarding one of the new Pixels?

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/12/lg-manufacturing-taimen-pixel-xl/amp/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

comper posted:

Willing to trust LG's manufacturing process if this rumor is true regarding one of the new Pixels?

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/12/lg-manufacturing-taimen-pixel-xl/amp/

The Nexus 4/5 were great phones, I don't care what anyone says. Though if this one has double the sticker price they need to bump up the build quality accordingly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel =/= Nexus. It doesn't matter who's building it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Connecting the dots makes an interesting picture.

The picture is, Google isn't happy with HTC.

At first, we had “walleye” and “muskie”. Then, later, "taimen" shows up.

Then, today, we hear that "muskie" was being dropped in favor of "taimen".

Now it appears that "taimen" is an LG made phone.

So, essentially, Google has decided that HTC is no longer worthy to create their larger flagship device. Part of this is likely fallout from the crazy stock issues over the past 8 months.

Either way, it doesn't bode well for HTC.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah time to short HTC stock

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Connecting the dots makes an interesting picture.

The picture is, Google isn't happy with HTC.

At first, we had “walleye” and “muskie”. Then, later, "taimen" shows up.

Then, today, we hear that "muskie" was being dropped in favor of "taimen".

Now it appears that "taimen" is an LG made phone.

So, essentially, Google has decided that HTC is no longer worthy to create their larger flagship device. Part of this is likely fallout from the crazy stock issues over the past 8 months.

Either way, it doesn't bode well for HTC.

I think that's an easy read. It's a shame because aside from it never being in stock everything about the Pixel and Pixel XL is great.

Now they've got the lovely situation of two different manufacturers making two completely different phones at two different sizes. I know I wouldn't trust the LG over the HTC but I'd have to if I wanted the XL. This seems a lot more "Nexus" and a lot less "Pixel" if you ask me. At least Apple invested in Foxconn to guarantee they could do what Apple needed but Google seems content to shop around for ODMs and while they have every right to do so, you won't convince me that Google's approach is equal to growing and investing in a long term partner.

(In fairness the Pixels did have a manufacturing defect, the speaker unit and the Nexus 4 and 5 were great for their price points. I'd still rather have an HTC over an LG though.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really couldn't care less who technically made a phone since Google will overnight me a replacement at any time. I'm amazed people get so worked up about it, though I guess if you have lovely consumer protection laws it matters more.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I really couldn't care less who technically made a phone since Google will overnight me a replacement at any time. I'm amazed people get so worked up about it, though I guess if you have lovely consumer protection laws it matters more.

Sure, Google will overnight you a phone but surely you would agree that given a choice they'd rather have a phone that doesn't self-destruct.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel =/= Nexus. It doesn't matter who's building it.

I'm well aware of the difference but it's still possibly being manufactured by a company that this thread usually loathes, despite how close of an eye Google has on the process.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tunga posted:

Because swapping to a new phone sucks. The process has gotten better but it's not like you just plug the new one in and away you go. Especially if you're a poor soul like me who has a bunch of different 2FA set up.

Also when you're visiting family for a 4 day holiday weekend and your device breaks on day one, enjoy your "one day" replacement 4 days from now because it's the next business day.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

At least it will have the latest security patch when it starts to bootloop!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not quite as funny as if Google had contracted with OnePlus, but I'll take it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I'd like more manual controls just to see how far you can push the thing but taking something like this from a moving car at ~9:15PM (facing due W, sun is already below the horizon) is utterly bonkers postproc wizardry:

Big:

Yea the camera is great, and I appreciate not having to tinker with a bunch of settings to get an optimal picture.

The one other thing that drives me nuts is I'm such a Samsung user that the softkey buttons are reversed and I have to train myself that < is on the left side instead of the right lol.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Google has hired an SoC architect away from Apple and will probably start producing its own chips at some point:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/google-manu-gulati-pixel-chips-1202464014/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Incessant Excess posted:

Google has hired an SoC architect away from Apple and will probably start producing its own chips at some point:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/google-manu-gulati-pixel-chips-1202464014/

This is going to piss off Samsung even more, right? If Google goes full Apple, Samsung won't be able to compete.