Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Dancer was a bitch but I switched to a faster sword and basically fled behind pillars to drink estus. Honestly, any place that gives you some sort of obstructions is giving you a huge break as far as pacing goes, as you can usually flee and position behind them long enough to refill/rebuff/whatever. It took me like 4-5 tries, but I beat dancer by rolling like a madman and sort of timing her second stage super spins as best as I could.

Lorian and Lothric, that was a poo poo sandwich of a fight. Really demoralizing that they can self res a few times if you can't beat back buddy hard enough. Also the magic line attack is the epitome of bullshit, even loving roll dodging I would often get hit taking like 90% of my health from a glancing blow.

I don't even want to think about the nameless King.

The best thing you can do with the magic line attack is to just run, don't roll because for some reason it'll track you even more. I just sprint in a circle and it misses all the time. Lorian and Lothric are still the ones that give me more trouble, even more lately than Nameless King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Guillermus posted:

The best thing you can do with the magic line attack is to just run, don't roll because for some reason it'll track you even more. I just sprint in a circle and it misses all the time. Lorian and Lothric are still the ones that give me more trouble, even more lately than Nameless King.

I actually got past them, but I found that everytime I tried running I would get 1 shot killed, rolling at least kept me alive.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The Twin Princes fight blew my mind the fist time, I love how the teleportation mechanic works out and that you sometimes just have to dodge his attacks when you feel it should hit since you can't always see where they're coming from. I felt like the fight highly rewarded good timing. That, the cutscenes, lore and fantastic music makes it one of my favorite fights.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJUQg_U5HY

The best Souls track. :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

unlawfulsoup posted:

edit: I also think BB's weapon system is a lot less klutzy than the weapon arts thing. One button you switch modes and your weapon had a whole new style of attack, no FP consumption, no complicated button sequences. In DS3 I never bother with weapon arts because they take me too long to get going and I can do the same damage just counterattacking with a fast enough weapon.

Yeah I was wondering about this, and have a question for all you PvP savants.

I basically never use weapon arts because they're slow enough as is, and if I'm not already two-handing my weapon then forget it. The ones where you have to go into a special stance first just add even MORE time before you can get your attack off. I think I've only ever seen one person use a weapon art against me in PvP, and it was so obvious that even my inexperienced garbage reflexes were able to dodge it easily. Am I just supposed to be good enough at reading ahead that I can burn all that time before my attack comes out, or is it another vestigial system like poise and durability that practically nobody uses?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RyokoTK posted:

The music in DS2 is awful.

Its the same kind of music featured in DS1 & 3 so I genuinely don't get how you can like those but hate DS2.

Mzbundifund posted:

I basically never use weapon arts because they're slow enough as is, and if I'm not already two-handing my weapon then forget it. The ones where you have to go into a special stance first just add even MORE time before you can get your attack off. I think I've only ever seen one person use a weapon art against me in PvP, and it was so obvious that even my inexperienced garbage reflexes were able to dodge it easily. Am I just supposed to be good enough at reading ahead that I can burn all that time before my attack comes out, or is it another vestigial system like poise and durability that practically nobody uses?

The quality of weapon arts varies vastly from weapon to weapon. Some are extremely good while others are basically worthless. The red-hilted halberd gets all of its PvP use out of its weapon art, while people will comfortably spam the dark sword without even attempting to use its stomp.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 23, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I actually found the Twin Princes kind of tedious the first time I fought them. Second time around wasn't so bad, but ehh. Guess the princes just had my number.

As for music, while I like BB the most, Demon's Souls may have the most memorable tracks of the Souls games. Still like the others though. Surprisingly, I found nameless king to be easier than these two

Blacktoll posted:

Real talk, other than straight swords -- all other weapons are oversized and look dumb.

I agree, but the Souls games are leagues better than lots of RPGs in terms of weapon/armor design. Even the over the top stuff still looks more reasonable than stuff from poo poo you see in Divinity or DA. And, regarding straight swords, it's clear they based most of them on longswords, meaning the long handles meant for two hands actually work. Some, however, look weird with long handles, like the broad sword. Also, I still think the broadsword should've gotten a thrust attack. The dark sword looks really silly no matter what.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its the same kind of music featured in DS1 & 3 so I genuinely don't get how you can like those but hate DS2.

Also, I agree with this. Even in the base game I felt there were quite a few good songs.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mzbundifund posted:

Just use a shield with "weapon skill" as its skill rather than parry. I personally like the Shield of Want. You can use your weapon skill wielding your weapon one-handed this way at the cost of losing the ability to parry. Just press L2 to use the weapon skill instantly. I suck at parrying anyway so that tradeoff is worth it to me.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

There are a lot of different weapon skills, and yes, they are definitely used in PvP. Weapon skills can do tonnes of damage, have huge reach, be unparriable, grant poise, and/or have hyperarmor. I don't get how you have only seen one weapon art in PvP... like, you haven't seen the Dragonslayer Greataxe's lightning strike, the curved swords' spin, the dragonslayer spears charge, Gundyr's parry bait, or the anime katana jump? They get used a lot.

The Stance skill you're talking about is mostly good because it's got a shield break, which is very useful against (bad players with) medium shields.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

...! posted:

Just use a shield with "weapon skill" as its skill rather than parry. I personally like the Shield of Want. You can use your weapon skill wielding your weapon one-handed this way at the cost of losing the ability to parry. Just press L2 to use the weapon skill instantly. I suck at parrying anyway so that tradeoff is worth it to me.

For some bosses and annoying enemies this is what I tended to do. Works well with something like the sunlight sword where R2 will basically buff you before fighting someone.

In general though I much prefer Zweihander or Profaned great sword.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 23, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can someone describe the coop in this game? Is it the type of thing where I can team up with a buddy for the whole game?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are there any other instances of NPCs like Great Swamp Cuculus where you must summon them in order to get items? Or any kind of fuckery that locks you out of things, besides having to beat Phantom NPCs? This sucks.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can someone describe the coop in this game? Is it the type of thing where I can team up with a buddy for the whole game?

It's like being a pussy rear end bitch that goes back to summon the same 3 phantoms over and over again after a hardworking invader kills them 5-6 times in a single area.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I missed this, but if it helps, I don't really use weapon arts all that much and use them even less in pvp. Mixing in blocks, parries, kicks, and lots of different attacks seems to be enough to usually best players and, at this point, it's been working out quite well for me. Lots of vertebrae from invasions/duels.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Are there any other instances of NPCs like Great Swamp Cuculus where you must summon them in order to get items? Or any kind of fuckery that locks you out of things, besides having to beat Phantom NPCs? This sucks.

Some phantoms, like Black Hand Gottherd, have gestures. I find it kind of annoying to be honest, since it can be very easy to miss - especially if your tendency is to avoid summoning for boss fights. Had to get all of these things in my NG+ run for that reason.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm assuming you're new to the game? You can coop through most of the game, yeah. Although your buddy will be sent home once you've beaten a boss, and you can't summon anyone into an area if you've beaten that area's boss.

To play with your friend, you should set up a password in the in-game menu. That way, you can only see each other's summon signs and your buddy can be at any level and still get summoned. Otherwise there's a level and weapon upgrade limit on summons.

To get summoned, you need to buy the white soapstone from the handmaiden in Firelink and use that item to place your summon sign on the ground. To summon your buddy, you have to be embered, and activate your buddy's summon sign.

Note that with a summon, you're much more likely to get invaded by other players. If both of you are new to the game, I suggest equipping the Way of Blue covenant as soon as you get it.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

There are a ton of good weapon arts... I've been using the spiked mace because its spin weapon art is followed by a power smash that hits behind you and has ludicrous reach, you people who roll out of the spin, either away or behind you, get smashed anyway. You have to double roll to avoid it, and no one knows or expects that. Katana weapon stances allow you to parry or have a long range high damage hit, although the latter is predictable, they get used often. Axes have Warcry, an attack buff (that I think is less useful in pvp) and clubs have a buff that gives you actual poise instead of do nothing poise. Most of the weapon arts are worth using, but many of them also eat up FP and non-casters tend to not have a ton of that or carry ashen flasks, so they're also used sparingly outside of fight clubs and such.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Lord_Magmar posted:

My advice for the Dancer is to admire the booty intently. She doesn't really turn very well unless it's with an attack and those are really obvious ones. Also makes the spin impotent because it drags her forwards and thus away from you. In fact the only big knight style boss this doesn't work on from memory is the Champ because his turning attack is a sweet back-kick that comes out super fast.

Still mad his halberd's moveset didn't include the sweet kung-fu. Well, maybe they'll have a Champ re-re-match in a DLC, back by popular demand!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't care much for BB's, but Cleric Beast's got a real good theme. It's not bad or anything, just not too memorable to me.

The Old Dragonslayer's got a pretty rad theme, as does the Shulva Gank Squad.

Come to think of it I rather liked the Royal Rat Vanguard. Don't recall how it goes but I remember liking it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

Come to think of it I rather liked the Royal Rat Vanguard. Don't recall how it goes but I remember liking it.
You fight a bunch of rats, then a rat with a mohawk and a health bar comes in and you kill him.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

You fight a bunch of rats, then a rat with a mohawk and a health bar comes in and you kill him.

I meant the music.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Oh yeah- me neither. The only songs I remember from DS2 are Majula, Pursuer, and Alonne.

I think Vordt's theme would be pretty cool if it were actually orchestrated and they hadn't used the Necrodancer shopkeeper vocal synth for the chanting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Besides short "in between" areas, you can summon a friend for most parts of the game. There's a password system so you can make sure only you can summon them and no one else.

Do not do it your first time through the game though. You will get invaded in less than 90 seconds after summoning almost every time, so you will have to either have to use a gimmick to make invaders go away or play the game's lovely PvP constantly. Either way, it will slow you down a lot and probably won't be any fun on a first playthrough.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What would the thread say is the best weapon art(s)? I haven't been using them personally.

Also, having never played Demon's Souls which tracks are hilarious?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HA

HA HA HA

HA (doot doot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihSkliPxxA

HA

HA HA HA

HA (doot doot)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What would the thread say is the best weapon art(s)? I haven't been using them personally.

Adjudicator or Tower Knight/Penetrator are probably the silliest ones. Demons Souls' soundtrack frequently verges on goof rear end circus music. However on other occasions it's very effective. It tends to be less bombastic and maximalist than the other games' soundtracks tend to be. Take Flame Lurker for example, it's one of the most intense and non-gimmicky boss fights in the game and going by the others you'd expect it to be some loud rear end fast paced explosion of strings and choir, but it's just slow-building, simple brass, violins and a beat. Not to say that it can't do over the top and loud as well, but I really like DeS' soundtrack.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Digirat posted:

Besides short "in between" areas, you can summon a friend for most parts of the game. There's a password system so you can make sure only you can summon them and no one else.

Do not do it your first time through the game though. You will get invaded in less than 90 seconds after summoning almost every time, so you will have to either have to use a gimmick to make invaders go away or play the game's lovely PvP constantly. Either way, it will slow you down a lot and probably won't be any fun on a first playthrough.

Okay sounds doable, I'm completely new to these games. Why is the PvP so lovely?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Adjudicator's music is perfectly fitting for an enormous yellow blob that laughs at you while swinging around a massive butcher's knife. Also his crown is an annoying bird.

Adjudicator is weird.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 24, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay sounds doable, I'm completely new to these games. Why is the PvP so lovely?

It's lovely that invaders are automatically set to target embered players with multiple phantoms first. What this means is that as an invader you'll very often face 2v1 or 3v1 odds, and even if you manage to take down a phantom or two the host is easily able to keep summoning more ad nauseam.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is the PvP so lovely?

A few reasons in 3.

Mystical already mentioned one of the worst, which is have fun constantly being outnumbered every single time. Another is that there's a very clear (In general) best type of weapon that everyone knows by this point and uses nonstop, like without exaggeration 9/10 of my fights any time I felt like trying were either straight swords (Particularly dark sword, astora straight or anri's) or it was the estoc. If it's not that, another that sapped all the fun is hornet ring instakills if you ever get parried a single time, which when the caestus still had goofy parry capability, was just a matter of time in a lot of fights. A good couple of the PvP covenants have been and still are completely non-functional for a lot of people. Host has the health advantage and double your estus, if he has a dedicated buddy he can keep summoning then they have essentially infinite estus, plus sipping is incredibly fast and the health regain is an instant zoom up again. Instakill warden twinblade poo poo for a while and maybe still not sure on that one. Probably some other things not immediately coming to mind.

Like as much as I can complain I still enjoyed a good bit of 3, but boy has the PvP just been miserable.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 24, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I spent two hours fighting the Soul of Cinder tonight and emptied his first health bar twice. Each time he annihilated me with a massive screen-filling fire attack combo. I'm going to need to study some youtubes to learn how to dodge that bullshit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Run the gently caress away when he stabs dirt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

A few reasons in 3.

Mystical already mentioned one of the worst, which is have fun constantly being outnumbered every single time.

That's only true for invaders, though. If this guy is with his buddy then he's going to be the one doing the outnumbering, not vice versa.

quote:

Another is that there's a very clear (In general) best type of weapon that everyone knows by this point and uses nonstop, like without exaggeration 9/10 of my fights any time I felt like trying were either straight swords (Particularly dark sword, astora straight or anri's) or it was the estoc.

While it is lovely that there are way more optimal weapons, I think that you're exaggerating a bit. I PvP all the time and run into a ton of different weapons unless I'm in a fight club or something

quote:

If it's not that, another that sapped all the fun is hornet ring instakills if you ever get parried a single time, which when the caestus still had goofy parry capability, was just a matter of time in a lot of fights. A good couple of the PvP covenants have been and still are completely non-functional for a lot of people. Host has the health advantage and double your estus, if he has a dedicated buddy he can keep summoning then they have essentially infinite estus, plus sipping is incredibly fast and the health regain is an instant zoom up again.

But, again, the poster you're replying to will be the host rather than the invader. So he's getting these advantages

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SynthOrange posted:

Run the gently caress away when he stabs dirt.

That much I know. I'm talking about the combo that comes after.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

QuarkJets posted:

That's only true for invaders, though. If this guy is with his buddy then he's going to be the one doing the outnumbering, not vice versa.

While it is lovely that there are way more optimal weapons, I think that you're exaggerating a bit. I PvP all the time and run into a ton of different weapons unless I'm in a fight club or something

But, again, the poster you're replying to will be the host rather than the invader. So he's getting these advantages

Oh I know, I was just explaining in a more broad sense, since they just generally asked why it sucks. :v:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm using a mace for this run and Perseverance really does a lot for the mace's crappy range and slower swing speed. It's very fast to activate, cheap on both stamina and focus, and let's you eat enemy attacks at greatly reduced damages while not flinching.

I personally hate all the stance type ones. I also dislike ones like the spinny halberd ones that do several weak hits in a row.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Yeh

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So... I'm just now realizing that the two bluecop covenants are really the exact same covenant, right? Ranking up in one ranks you up in the other? That is weird as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've got the same sign.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

...! posted:

So... I'm just now realizing that the two bluecop covenants are really the exact same covenant, right? Ranking up in one ranks you up in the other? That is weird as hell.

It's just two sides of the same covenant. One lets you summon BlueCops, the other lets you BE a BlueCop.

I have never had either work, so I got nothing beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They mean Blue Sentinels / Blades of the Darkmoon