Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

a primate posted:

I'm just about to do the finding the Archon mission, am I like halfway done or something? I have no sense of the game's pacing. I've been doing 90% fetch quests so that might be why.

Largely depends on how many planets you colonize/make viable and how many loyalty missions you do. Hunting the Archon only has a few main missions afterwards - each is substantial but it's a bit like ME2, not many required missions. Every crew member has a loyalty mission, most with some build up/preparation along with a smaller mission which is usually "go here, watch cutscene for extra character insight." Colonizing the planets and raising viability is a lot of content, even more if you do all the little tasks and side missions (but those are of variable quality). Some quests will factor into the ending w/r/t how much help you have and who lives/dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

a primate posted:

I'm just about to do the finding the Archon mission, am I like halfway done or something? I have no sense of the game's pacing. I've been doing 90% fetch quests so that might be why.

More like three quarters done. There aren't that many main quest missions, (if you want explicit spoilers, the entire main quest is intro > settle Eos > help out on Voeld and Havarl > go to Kadara > Hunting the Archon > one more mission > finale) and after Hunting the Archon there are no barriers to barrelling straight through the endgame.

There's a lot of side content though. The loyalty missions are the best non-critical path content, most of the other stuff is very to moderately dull.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arglebargle III posted:

Argon/nitrogen is nontoxic, they really could have just shared...

I spent the entire cutscene thinking "just share the helmet back and forth".

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The main plot is incredibly short. There will be one more main story mission after this, then the endgame mission.

Yeah that feels pretty short. Thanks.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the main issue with pacing is that it doesn't space out the final three missions very well. Mass Effect 2 has a similar amount of "main quest" missions, but it puts intentional gaps in between them so that the player has to do some of the side content to progress. They could have done that with the loyalty missions in Andromeda without too much trouble, but I guess the idea is that a lot of players will do them after finishing the main quest, since the world remains open and their unlock conditions involve fiddly sub-quests? Strange choice.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Me too. I also spent Peebles mission wondering how stupid everyone had to be not to suspect her ex of planting a tracker on the robot she stole and conveniently broke.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RBA Starblade posted:

Same, it's a lovely first impression. The most charitable rationalization I can think of is it'll get fleshed out in DLC, but it's bad even if the DLC is free.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, I get that it's a plot device, but what kind of whack rear end future combat helmet has glass that breaks when you fall on your face?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Android Blues posted:

Also, I get that it's a plot device, but what kind of whack rear end future combat helmet has glass that breaks when you fall on your face?

Just admit this game sucks

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Shepard was able to be resurrected largely because his helmet survived loving atmospheric re-entry and preserved his brain, so yeah, the Initiative really spared some important expenses.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm still trying to understand why SAM couldn't just cut off his connection to Sara. But I guess the Archon was able to hack SAM's Gibson without any interface in the first place? The logic of those scenes is pretty weird.

It's established really early on that taking Ryder needs SAM to live. It's the entire reason Ryder is stuck as Pathfinder.

RBA Starblade posted:

Just like a single line of exposition about how even a few breaths, like an unconscious person might take, of this super deadly murder air will kill a human very quickly would've been enough to prevent all these complaints forever.
Too bad.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Reminder that the story telling in this game series has been ridiculously bad since the beginning of ME2 when they literally killed the main character to handle resetting existing players to the level of new ones.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Android Blues posted:

Also, how did he read Ryder's memories from her blood? That seems like something that requires at least an attempt at an explanation, but instead it's just treated as though he cast a magic spell. SAM says it senses "a biological transmitter in your bloodstream" after he takes the blood I guess, which is something, but it isn't exactly clear what happened still.

I think the hints that SAM is way more than just implants has gotta play into that. That clip where Ryder's synapses are getting rewritten by SAM at the beginning of the game felt way more sinister than it turned out being. The emails after you beat the game mentions that using SAM and the Remnant tech literally sheared the Archon's consciousness away from his body. This might have some sorta consequence in the sequel that may or may not ever come out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Android Blues posted:

I think this article fails to hit the mark, mostly because it groups Jade Empire and Dragon Age 2 in with what it calls a flawless run of Bioware's "best games ever", and similarly lumps Inquisition in with Andromeda despite a massive and obvious quality gap between the two of them.

The argument is that, "Bioware's games were always amazing and the best in their old format, but now they're garbage like Andromeda in the new format", but it doesn't hold true if you're gonna list ambitious failures like JE and DA2 as having the same standard of quality as classics like Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect 2. It feels like they're revising the actual quality of these games to fit their gut feeling about design, rather than observing how good they actually are.

Both JE and DA2 are wonky experiments at best, you can't reasonably group them in quality terms alongside Bioware's best output. Meanwhile no matter what your problems are with DAI's structure, it doesn't feel apposite to say it's "the same" as Andromeda, which is clearly suffering from massive polish, direction and mismanagement issues that DAI didn't have.

I think you've very very *slightly* misread the article. Tho it includes ME3 and DA2 as part of the classic run of bioware games development going from 2005-2012 (or a decade more if we're including kotor/bg/nwn) where a whole bunch of mostly high quality games made of a similar cloth were produced, it also mentions that DA2 and ME3 were games that first shook bioware's otherwise solid rep. "Best Games Ever" is in actual quotes in the article itself, which even pokes a bit of fun at the tastes of people who only like bioware rpgs. The article modestly praises DAI but emphasizes that it's praising the tightly plotted story segments like The Winter Palace rather than the open world segments, which felt more like distractions. That's not really a controversial distinction to make; a lot of people even in this thread have leveled complaints at areas like the hinterlands which could be argued as being dead weights holding back DAI. The author goes on to explain why they think tighter story/level/encounter design fundamentally clashes with open world design unless you take deliberate measures to prevent it. The article's also quick to point out that other developers have done them well and why they were able to do them well, but explains that bioware's classic niche has been (and will probably continue to be) it's more cohesively plotted narratively driven sections so there's good reason to think they should abandon their open world 'experiment'. It essentially argues that bioware shouldn't ape other developers The article points out that certain loyalty missions and the like stood out as being pretty good in an otherwise mediocre MEA as more evidence of bioware's successes with its old format.

A narratively driven, tightly designed rpg can still fail on its on merits like ME3 did, a solidly written rpg stapled to an open world game like DAI can still succeed in spite of all the wasted resources spent on sections that don't contribute positively to the experience, ultimately. Not that I personally even agree with the article myself but It's a little more nuanced than always good, always garbage. It keeps a decent account of itself imho even though it doesn't focus on the mismanagement issues that really made MEA something else.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Reminder that the story telling in this game series has been ridiculously bad since the beginning of ME2 when they literally killed the main character to handle resetting existing players to the level of new ones.

I'm sorry, but the intro to ME2 was one of the greatest things in gaming ever. :colbert:
While I wish they would have examined her coming back from the dead more deeply, it was a perfectly fine reason for depowering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

It also quite likely means that new helmet design with the dumb exposed glass canopy only exists to break for that one scene.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also quite likely means that new helmet design with the dumb exposed glass canopy only exists to break for that one scene.

Ah man I hadn't realized that. That's super annoying. Like just wear a regular loving helmet.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I mean Ryder passes out like immediately and you get a cutscene where you see his dead rear end brain miraculously being brought to life so while the trade the helmet back and forth thing occurred to me the brain thing made me think it was pretty impractical. It's probably safe to assume at least some time passes before Alec finds Ryder., despite it being shown as instant.

The helmet breaking though, yeah, what the hell. All I could think was like why didn't they just have the helmet equivalent of a blast shield that could come down in case of an emergency break? Even if it makes you blind better than Fuckin dying. You're going to a new galaxy, making sure you're definitely able to breathe seems p important

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So, realpost: I upgraded my pc finally in preparation for this game - and then it turns out it sucks, and I don't even want to play it - but that's okay because there's lots of other games I wasn't able to play that I can now. I just got around to Dishonored 2 and man, it's nice to play an actually good AAA game. Hitman and DOOM up next I think.

Also I still haven't played Witcher 3 because I think Geralt is a dumb character

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

JawKnee posted:

DOOM up next I think.

Also I still haven't played Witcher 3 because I think Geralt is a dumb character

Doom is great.

Also, I hated Witcher 1 and 2. I thought I was going to hate 3 and somehow bought it anyways, and for the first couple hours I hated Geralt, thought he was a piece of poo poo over-the-top tropey character with uber grimbad tendencies.

Something clicked after the first few hours, maybe it was the dialogue choices I made, but I ended up really liking him, and the game ended up being one of the best games I've ever played. I say that having just beaten it for the first time yesterday.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry, but the intro to ME2 was one of the greatest things in gaming ever. :colbert:
While I wish they would have examined her coming back from the dead more deeply, it was a perfectly fine reason for depowering.

I second this motion: ME2's opening (if it wasn't spoilered for you) was a tour de force. You stood up and did something amazing and you got slapped down for it. ME:A feels like -THIS AREA CAN BE MINED FOR RESOURCES -

EDIT: Witcher 3 (xboxone) was an amazing game to me, never played 1-2 but I loved the opening intro to 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVf25eukR4o

HAmbONE fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 20, 2017

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Is the Sentinel's Tech Armor considered a Tech Construct?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Quick questions:

1) Does multiplayer actually gimme anything to help in single player? I mean from getting my rear end kicked, because I'm on the highest difficulty.

2) Can you remap the skills in multiplayer? I loving hope so.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
1) Yes. If you do the strike team missions, they will have specific rewards that you can pick up in the big circular room on the Tempest (you can't miss them, especially with SAM to remind you! :buddy:). You can send the NPC team you recruit to do any mission in the Strike Team menu, but the ones with the orange triangle next to them are the ones that you can personally do in multiplayer.

2) Don't think so. Not on the controller, anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the Nexus or anywhere change as I get more AVP? I assume not but it'd be cool if it did.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lmao

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So after playing the game is there any advantage for choosing Sloane over Vidal? The game kept trying to push him as such a good alternative I was waiting for the twist where he's actually worse but nothing really seems that way.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
On Eos with those glyph scanning things, I'm stuck at one where there's remnants who scan you then go hostile. Do I have to kill them to find the second glyph? I climbed up and found the first one and can't find the second anywhere.

The remnants are super cheesy on the highest difficulty... I can't even pick them off with a sniper rifle because they infinitely respawn when I drive away to refill my ammo, they can fly over my cover and have a hitscan death laser... who designed this bullshit?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Degs posted:

Doom is great.

Also, I hated Witcher 1 and 2. I thought I was going to hate 3 and somehow bought it anyways, and for the first couple hours I hated Geralt, thought he was a piece of poo poo over-the-top tropey character with uber grimbad tendencies.

Something clicked after the first few hours, maybe it was the dialogue choices I made, but I ended up really liking him, and the game ended up being one of the best games I've ever played. I say that having just beaten it for the first time yesterday.

Was it after you met Dandelion? Geralt would be a much weaker character if Dandelion wasn't there seeing straight through him and calling him on his bullshit.

The thing I like most about Geralt is how it becomes obvious that he's desperately trying to portray himself as a heartless over the top uber grim badass to as a defence mechanism and how much he fails to actually be the uber hardass he wants to be because he actually really cares.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

On Eos with those glyph scanning things, I'm stuck at one where there's remnants who scan you then go hostile. Do I have to kill them to find the second glyph? I climbed up and found the first one and can't find the second anywhere.

The remnants are super cheesy on the highest difficulty... I can't even pick them off with a sniper rifle because they infinitely respawn when I drive away to refill my ammo, they can fly over my cover and have a hitscan death laser... who designed this bullshit?

You've probably found it by now but in general for all of those glyph-hunting puzzles the scanner should show lines leading to each glyph. You might have to clear those bots to reach the console (IIRC there's something you need to interact with to create platforms).

Also try to craft a gun that doesn't run out of ammo (any Remnant weapon, or research the vintage heat sink or bio-converter augments). Observers are relatively fragile so they're not too bad later on when you can easily kill them before they flank you.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

Endgame speech options.

If you did nearly everything:

If you were completely anti-social and did the bare minimum:

Finally some 'Shepard is a Dick' Renegade choices. Just a shame they're literally the last ones in the game.

This has nothing to do with completion, but likely which replies you picked during the game and your resulting personal profile. The bottom option were what I got with a mostly logical and professional approach and I did everything except the hitting rocks quest. Alternatively it could be some male/female dialogue difference.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Drifter posted:

Lol no

It was dumb as hell and the actual exciting set pieces associated it could have been done without Shepard's death.

Shepard actually dying was incredibly stupid and of course they never really went anywhere with it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
+1 to loving ME2's opening. I thought it was great.

A Buff Gay Dude, it's cool if you don't like it, but it's kind of obnoxious when you keep going "Nope. It was baaaaad." like it's immutable fact or something.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shepard dying was mostly to let them do a time skip and have some characters move on, giving you an excuse to be working with cerberus and gather a new team.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

+1 to loving ME2's opening. I thought it was great.

A Buff Gay Dude, it's cool if you don't like it, but it's kind of obnoxious when you keep going "Nope. It was baaaaad." like it's immutable fact or something.

it was definitely bad, and an obvious 'we need a reason for the player to level up again' device

and also the idea of a career military shepard just up and joining a terrorist organization was ridiculous

but yeah, looking out of the ruined Normandy SR1's hull was pretty cool the first time around

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That DICK! posted:

I mean Ryder passes out like immediately and you get a cutscene where you see his dead rear end brain miraculously being brought to life so while the trade the helmet back and forth thing occurred to me the brain thing made me think it was pretty impractical. It's probably safe to assume at least some time passes before Alec finds Ryder., despite it being shown as instant.

The helmet breaking though, yeah, what the hell. All I could think was like why didn't they just have the helmet equivalent of a blast shield that could come down in case of an emergency break? Even if it makes you blind better than Fuckin dying. You're going to a new galaxy, making sure you're definitely able to breathe seems p important

Also you wouldn't even need to be blind, they could just put cameras on the exterior of the blast shield. Standard sci-fi stuff and a bunch of the game's other helmets are visibly designed like this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The opening hour to ME2 was brilliant in every way. Shepard's death and resurrection accomplishes 3 important plot beats in the span of like 5 minutes:

- The Collectors are a serious threat, unlike any Shepard has faced before.
- Allows time for the galaxy to change and characters to move on.
- Shepard must rely upon and work with an organization with shadowy motives to achieve what's right.

It's just some fast, economical storytelling. If this was a scene in Andromeda it'd be attached to a fetch quest where you have to travel to three different planets to scan and reconstruct Shepard's boner.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bobjr posted:

So after playing the game is there any advantage for choosing Sloane over Vidal? The game kept trying to push him as such a good alternative I was waiting for the twist where he's actually worse but nothing really seems that way.

I guess Sloane is a known quantity and is only interested in Kadara, but the Collective explicitly wants to expand and become a crime syndicate in the Heleus cluster at large, which could be bad news. Also, Sloane despite being an rear end in a top hat is honest, whereas Reyes lies so much that his special crime name means "the liar".

It seems like a decent choice to me. Reyes is your buddy and likes you, but he's dishonest. He explicitly uses you to destabilise Sloane's power base while telling you you're just doing him personal favours. Sloane doesn't like you and is hard to get along with, but she's up front about her goals and doesn't lie to you. Note that Sloane goes in for the duel in good faith, but Reyes' plan all along is to have her assassinated by a sniper after she agrees to it.

The Collective are just barely less evil than the Outcasts - although they still torture and beat prisoners, so not much less evil - but they also have ambitions of being a real syndicate whereas the Outcasts just want Kadara Port. An interplanetary mafia would probably be bad news for Heleus in general, and that's Reyes' long-term goal.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The opening hour to ME2 was brilliant in every way. Shepard's death and resurrection accomplishes 3 important plot beats in the span of like 5 minutes:

- The Collectors are a serious threat, unlike any Shepard has faced before.
- Allows time for the galaxy to change and characters to move on.
- Shepard must rely upon and work with an organization with shadowy motives to achieve what's right.

It's just some fast, economical storytelling. If this was a scene in Andromeda it'd be attached to a fetch quest where you have to travel to three different planets to scan and reconstruct Shepard's boner.

"Pathfinder, Commander Shepard's boner signal is nearby. Perhaps you should scan the area." "Looks like a Kett outpost! We should check it out." "Temperature falling. Temperature returning to normal levels." *pained jumping and boosting sounds as Ryder stumbles around a crash site made of the same three burning debris graphics retiled over each other*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Android Blues posted:

"Pathfinder, Commander Shepard's boner signal is nearby. Perhaps you should scan the area." "Looks like a Kett outpost! We should check it out." "Temperature falling. Temperature returning to normal levels." *pained jumping and boosting sounds as Ryder stumbles around a crash site made of the same three burning debris graphics retiled over each other*

You forgot scanning wrecked shuttle model type #4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And then it turns out it was an encrypted boner signal and you have to go to three random enemy camps to pick up the real navpoint, which is on Havarl.