Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

The iPad really is the future though.

if that's the case then the future loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

landgrabber posted:

if that's the case then the future loving sucks

the future already sucks

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Can anyone recommend a wired keyboard that's similar to the now-discontinued Apple Pro Keyboard?

I don't get it. Hey yeah let's make the keyboard for a desktop machine that will always be sitting in front of it require a battery and charging.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lord funk posted:

Can anyone recommend a wired keyboard that's similar to the now-discontinued Apple Pro Keyboard?

I don't get it. Hey yeah let's make the keyboard for a desktop machine that will always be sitting in front of it require a battery and charging.

I entirely get why they're doing it. You haven't seen my coworker waste 10 minutes trying to figure out how to charge his battery-dead magic mouse from his 2016 MBP. I guess you need either a USB-c to lighting cable, some type of charger wall wart around, or a USB-c to A dongle plus A to lightning cable.

They can't ship USB-A accessories anymore because their mainstream PC line has 0 USB-A ports.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Are you taking about the apple keyboard with numeric keypad. It's been my go to keyboard for years and it's def still available

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-k...t=ref:212,loc:2

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ethanol posted:

Are you taking about the apple keyboard with numeric keypad. It's been my go to keyboard for years and it's def still available

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-k...t=ref:212,loc:2

It says it's discontinued on Apple's store, so I bet that once this stock trickles through retailers there's no more coming.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

lord funk posted:

Is it really that awful to have to plug your keyboard in overnight once a month? And if so, is it so hard to just leave the thing permanently plugged in?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

It says it's discontinued on Apple's store, so I bet that once this stock trickles through retailers there's no more coming.

:eek: I might need to buy 3 or 4 to stock up for the next 15 years

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is eBay generally the best bet for second hand private Mac sales? I've dealt with two people now and both have been a pain in the rear end (id even bought and paid for one and he decided to just cancel the order). I've looked at Let Go, Craigslist, and Facebook and all seem even worse. The refurb companies are all priced way higher, I guess that's the cost of not banging my head against the wall though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is eBay generally the best bet for second hand private Mac sales?
If you like paying through the roof. What are you looking for exactly?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is eBay generally the best bet for second hand private Mac sales? I've dealt with two people now and both have been a pain in the rear end (id even bought and paid for one and he decided to just cancel the order). I've looked at Let Go, Craigslist, and Facebook and all seem even worse. The refurb companies are all priced way higher, I guess that's the cost of not banging my head against the wall though.

What're you looking for? Craigslist or the Apple Refurb Store are your best bets. Really old Macs are dramatically overpriced, somebody happily gave me $200 for a decade old POS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm open to a degree, but the general base is ideally a 2012 i5 2.5 Mac Mini with an SSD installed. 16gb RAM and additional 5400 HDD ideal, but I can always add more RAM in myself and I've got external storage I can use.

The one I bought this morning had a 250gb SDD and 16GB RAM at $400 shipped, which was perfect. I don't really want to pay much more than that, I have a few others on eBay I'm keeping an eye on, as well as checking new BINs as they go up.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I miss my late 2012 mini. Easily one of the most underrated Macs in recent history I think.

I'm curious, are there any current dual-core macs with hyperthreading? I'd feel much better about buying something like the macbook escape if that were the case

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

landgrabber posted:

I miss my late 2012 mini. Easily one of the most underrated Macs in recent history I think.

I'm curious, are there any current dual-core macs with hyperthreading? I'd feel much better about buying something like the macbook escape if that were the case

Yes, the Air, Macbook, and 13" Macbook Pros are all dual cores with hyperthreading. Any of them are fine machines to buy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm open to a degree, but the general base is ideally a 2012 i5 2.5 Mac Mini with an SSD installed. 16gb RAM and additional 5400 HDD ideal, but I can always add more RAM in myself and I've got external storage I can use.

The one I bought this morning had a 250gb SDD and 16GB RAM at $400 shipped, which was perfect. I don't really want to pay much more than that, I have a few others on eBay I'm keeping an eye on, as well as checking new BINs as they go up.

You're after one of the most desired Macs in recent history. The quad-core 2012 Minis were selling for more than new MSRP about a year ago. Good luck to you.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 13, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The other potential option is if you live near a university and they have a surplus store of some kind, you can check and see if they have Macs there too. I picked up my 2009 Mac Pro and a 2011 i7 Mini cheap from a local university surplus store.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Check out business auctions for places going out of business too. I managed to pick up a fully-specced 2013 15” MBP for €500 :getin:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

landgrabber posted:

It's funny, I bought my 2010 iMac (now sold as I emigrated) and my 2011 Air when they were the latest and greatest model, but that 2012 Mini really looks like it suits my needs fully right now. As much as I'd like a brand new 27" iMac, I've got too many other expenses right now to be laying out $2,000 for a machine, but the Air is really feeling the pressure. The 2014 Mini is still current so holds it's value well, but doesn't really offer me anything extra anyway and removes some things I'd like.

Twerk from Home posted:

You're after one of the most desired Macs in recent history. The quad-core 2012 Minis were selling for more than new MSRP about a year ago. Good luck to you.

Yeah, it's why I'm looking at BIN stuff rather than bidding wars as I can't be bothered with all that. There's definitely candidates at decent prices, at least, it's just seeing the whole field to see if there's anything that hits the perfect specs/price point. I bet I see that $400 listed again for at least $100 more...

At least I'm not after the quad specifically, the extra cores don't offer me improved performance in Lightroom (and probably Photoshop knowing Adobe), so that helps keep the price down a little.

SourKraut posted:

The other potential option is if you live near a university and they have a surplus store of some kind, you can check and see if they have Macs there too. I picked up my 2009 Mac Pro and a 2011 i7 Mini cheap from a local university surplus store.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Check out business auctions for places going out of business too. I managed to pick up a fully-specced 2013 15” MBP for €500 :getin:

Ah, interesting idea! I found one auction place (that has a Mac Classic II up!) but nothing that matches what I'm after. Definitely something I'll bookmark though, will be useful for things like switches etc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

I've heard the magic keyboards communicate through the wire (like you can turn off BT and they'll still work) so in theory you could just use them as wired keyboards. Although the battery would probably become useless if you left them hooked up that way indefinitely.

(No clue if they work as USB HID keyboards or some funky custom thing though)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

I've heard the magic keyboards communicate through the wire (like you can turn off BT and they'll still work) so in theory you could just use them as wired keyboards. Although the battery would probably become useless if you left them hooked up that way indefinitely.

(No clue if they work as USB HID keyboards or some funky custom thing though)

They do! They work as regular old USB keyboards when they're plugged in and switch automatically. It's super nice!

I'm finally moving to retire my '09 Pro. It's been such a great computer for me but I need Thunderbolt. :(

Got a 2012 i7 Mini to replace it, loading it up with 16GB RAM, a 1TB SSD and a 2TB spinning disk. Should be good.

(Oh, didn't see price discussion. I got it with a 1tb spinner and 4GB ram for $625 BIN on eBay the other day, which I felt was fair. I had the RAM and other disks lying around so didn't want to pay extra for stuff I didn't need. I should be able to sell the Pro for around there and break even.)

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 13, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It this a reputable brand of Apple replacement products? link

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

lord funk posted:

CODE keyboard. You only need one. or in my case two.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lord funk posted:

Matias makes the closest knockoffs.

http://matias.ca/products/

Bob Morales posted:

It this a reputable brand of Apple replacement products? link

lmao

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lord funk posted:

is there any reason you can't just leave it permanently plugged in?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

landgrabber posted:

is there any reason you can't just leave it permanently plugged in?

without knowing i'm gonna guess the charging hole is on the bottom.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

for the keyboards it's literally the exact same place a cord would normally come out of - there's just a lightning port there :/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Boiled Water posted:

It is not, nor is it on the magic trackpad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It is not, nor is it on the magic trackpad.

That's the Lightning port through which it charges and acts like a regular keyboard. If you want a long keyboard cable just get a long Lightning cable.

The Pro version of the magic keyboard replaces the old wired only 'pro' keyboard.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It also sends the signals over the wire when plugged in, so you can use it in places where bluetooth is a no-go.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't it running a two generation better CPU though? GPU performance alone is twice as good (but 5 times worse than a regular video card). So that 1.8ghz is far better than the extra 200mhz would suggest.

And dat battery life.

It's no iPad Pro, but you got a nice computer.

Ars said same gen CPU.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm confused: why are people paying so much for 2012 Minis??

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

2014 (and later) does not have upgradable RAM, can't add a second drive, and you can't get it with quad core CPU.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/not-the-upgrade-we-were-hoping-for-the-2014-mac-mini-reviewed/2/

Edit: oops, 2014 is the current model. So it's not like 2012 is ancient compared to that.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 15, 2017

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

I'm confused: why are people paying so much for 2012 Minis??

My base 2012 quadcore mini can encode video faster than the most expensive 2014 mini

its one of the most embarrassing performance downgrades in apple history as far as i'm concerned

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also they're not going for stupid money, there's naturally people trying to fish for a higher price but you can get good setups for $400-500 with upgraded RAM and SSDs. For me, it's a nice stopgap until I get something better although I get the feeling I'll be using it until I know a new model at full price (or Refurbed, more likely) is actually going to be a worthy upgrade.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The fact Apple sticks laptop CPUs in desktop machines to shave a little space off a device that doesn't need to be as absolutely portable as possible is so annoying.

The Mini could have been so much greater.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krispy Kareem posted:

The fact Apple sticks laptop CPUs in desktop machines to shave a little space off a device that doesn't need to be as absolutely portable as possible is so annoying.

The Mini could have been so much greater.

On the other hand they're great machine since they hardly ever overheat so you can stick them in teeny tiny spaces enclosed somewhere and they'll largely be fine.

eames
May 9, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

On the other hand they're great machine since they hardly ever overheat so you can stick them in teeny tiny spaces enclosed somewhere and they'll largely be fine.

Yep and 8W idle power consumption for a dual or quadcore macOS computer is really impressive. My ARM based router uses more than that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There was a 2011 Mini in SA-Mart yesterday for $200, should have jumped on that.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the mac mini is a very attractive form factor i hope they update it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

There was a 2011 Mini in SA-Mart yesterday for $200, should have jumped on that.

The 2011 was on my radar until realizing it was USB 2.0 only (although you can get USB 3 compatibility through a TB dock that gives around 5x throughput which is neat). I did see that listing but decided to pass for my needs.

Managed to pick up a 8gb / 120gb SSD from someone on eBay who seems a good dude for $375 delivered in the end. Not as well spec'd as the one that slipped through my fingers but it's fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The thing that's turned me off possibly buying a 2011 or 2012 mini is that these models are not going to be supported forever. The 2011 is at high risk of going out of support soon, since it's 6 going on 7 years old. The 2012 should last a bit more since they sold it through 2013 and much of 2014 with no changes, but I'm turned off by almost-new prices for something that's about halfway through its software support life cycle (assuming Apple supports computers for about 7 years on average, IDK what the actual number is).