Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m almost there, might get it done before winter 28 year three. I’m at the part where you’re going to bed at 1PM cause there’s nothing else to do.

Yeah I did that a bunch too. Technically I could have been farming mines for parrot gold and iridium/radioactive ore but :effort:

Could have been done quite a bit sooner if I'd ramped up my oak planting/tapping earlier and not wasted a bunch of time farming clay to make retaining soil for the island farm. I got about 20% of it done before I said gently caress it and threw down sprinklers instead. You lose like 10 or 15 tiles, who cares. I made a couple of sheds full of pineapple pots instead, which was much better use of it, but I'd have still been better off leaving that until I had enough kegs to process the entire crop of the greenhouse and island farm.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How do you keep track of what items you still need to ship?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How do you keep track of what items you still need to ship?

collections tab

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
with Automate, can you run a connector from inside a shed to the outside (like run it to the door, then run it from the door outside) so you could chain all your automated kegs together into one ultra-keg

or is that too powerful and/or absurd

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think there’s a mod that lets you one click fill everything in a shed but the automate logic isn’t context sensitive to buildings no.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah I don't think you can automate past a transition. You can do it with Junimo Chests though, which is kind of nice because it requires extra thought and an end game resource.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there some kind of trick to decorating the tiny hallway walls in your house? Last time I played I remember it working just like other wallpaper, go up to the wall holding it and right click, but I can't make it work for the life of my in 1.6.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 30, 2024

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You need to click the wall while holding the wallpaper, you don't need to be beside it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm at level 7 fishing just as we're about to switch over into the first fall. I've never completed the community center before because I tried to min-max everything and burned out in previous iterations when I hadn't even played through the game once. Sometime around 4am last night I thought, "Fishing's good enough, now, let's see what else I need to do?" And just looked after my crops, chopped wood, and gave every motherfucker either a pepper or a green bean when I saw them. And you know what? It feels like real living! This is what my grandfather wanted for me! ! decided to look up the wiki for some information but I'm ignoring 90% of it as too much effort. Who cares? You either take a green bean or a peep. I might stretch to a foraged flower if it's on me and I'm not trying to romance you. (Shane and Maru are primary interests, Emily is sneaking in there. I want to see what Elliot's vibe is but then again he's a poet. If me and Shane do marry I want to adopt Sam. And Vincent's Mam needs to let him hunt for bugs...)

But I should really upgrade my watering can to copper because despite going into my third season of the year I've still yet to go into the mines to work at sprinklers. Hill-top farm rules. So far I've gotten just enough copper to get by with axe and pick-axe and only one iron bar to do a community center bundle. So I'm laughing imagining this was designed like Oblivion/Skyrimwhere because I'm nearly maxed out in fishing the first level of the mines would be impossible. Stardew Valley sneak/jump-levelling stylee

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Jesus Christ dude please do some mining for sprinklers and tool upgrades, you must be spending half your day watering and running out of energy to do anything else

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Play the game how you enjoy playing it imo, if I wanted to be efficient I'd install a cheat mod and max everything out and perfect the game much faster.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Waiting for Bubbles, a play about Stardew Valley efficiency

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mega64 posted:

Play the game how you enjoy playing it imo, if I wanted to be efficient I'd install a cheat mod and max everything out and perfect the game much faster.

There's a big grey area between min-maxing for total efficiency and the opposite end of the scale which seems to be actively avoiding engaging with a part of the game that makes things much easier in the long term. Of course I'm not trying to gatekeep the 'right' way to play the game but if OP has never completed the community centre that implies that they've gotten burned out in previous runs and having to water every crop one by one would absolutely do that for me, so imo getting quality sprinklers is a basic prerequisite to having a decent enough self-sustaining farm going that allows you to properly enjoy all the rest of the game (both in mechanical terms so you don't have to expend a gently caress ton of in-game time and energy, and for just general play experience)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I altered how I approached the game when I saw that some people were upgrading their axe first and even getting it to steel in the first spring, as well as trying to get enough quality sprinklers for summer. Less time fishing means less money up front and maybe losing out on Legend in the first spring but not a huge deal.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Got to the summit on day 21 winter year 3. There’s a small addition to the ending cutscene if you can do it without paying for any joja services. I’m guessing that means using the island parrot or paying Fizz for a forgery.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, I am sucking at iridium mining. Not getting very deep, not getting much iridium. Do you guys bomb every single floor when you enter, unless there's a staircase visible nearby?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Man, I am sucking at iridium mining. Not getting very deep, not getting much iridium. Do you guys bomb every single floor when you enter, unless there's a staircase visible nearby?

Nope. If you want iridium the deeper you go the more there is, and if you're wasting time on the initial floors you're doing it wrong.

Even if you can see iridium nodes sometimes it's better to use a staircase or hole instead of wasting time walking over and mining it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

Nope. If you want iridium the deeper you go the more there is, and if you're wasting time on the initial floors you're doing it wrong.

Even if you can see iridium nodes sometimes it's better to use a staircase or hole instead of wasting time walking over and mining it.

Not if you’re blowing the poo poo outta everything with bombs.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Bomb every floor even if you see a staircase. If after one bomb you don't see a hole use the stairs. Holes are much better than stairs. If you don't see anything after the first bomb or it's a spiral or a monster floor use the stairs you brought. Make sure you're on a high luck day and have a luck food bonus.

Do not wait for anything. Do not spend time picking things up. Maybe iridium if you're next to it, but even then no more than a few seconds. You want to spend your time moving vertically, not horizontally. Whatever good things you see on that floor odds are there will be more on the floor below it and you'll hover some up from the bomb anyway.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
or get the skull cave elevator and cheat your way to victory :v

but yeah, bombs and holes to get as deep as possible are how you get shitloads of iridium, tempting as it is to try and mine every node you see that's gonna slow you down

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

In my current game, one of the blacksmith bundles requires iridium ore. That’s going to hurt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These are good tips about iridium mining. I haven't even gotten deep enough (in the skull cave presumably?) to see naturally occurring ore but I am definitely not crafting bombs or stair cases and it sounds like I should be.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

LLSix posted:

In my current game, one of the blacksmith bundles requires iridium ore. That’s going to hurt.

I had that and a lady and a pig who show up twice a week solved that problem for far cheaper than I thought

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Bomb every floor even if you see a staircase. If after one bomb you don't see a hole use the stairs. Holes are much better than stairs. If you don't see anything after the first bomb or it's a spiral or a monster floor use the stairs you brought. Make sure you're on a high luck day and have a luck food bonus.

Maybe 1.6 changed this, but it used to be that once a ladder exists on a floor you can't get holes. My play so far in 1.6 suggests this is still true.

explosivo posted:

I am definitely not crafting bombs or stair cases and it sounds like I should be.

Also a good idea to feed jades to a couple crystallaria and trade them to the desert trader on Sunday for staircases.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

explosivo posted:

These are good tips about iridium mining. I haven't even gotten deep enough (in the skull cave presumably?) to see naturally occurring ore but I am definitely not crafting bombs or stair cases and it sounds like I should be.

Bring all the jade you can to the desert trader on Sundays. One jade for a staircase is a crazy good deal. It's the only thing I put in my crystallariums.

And yah make all the bombs you can. I put most of my iron ore into it, but I'm sitting on a surplus of gold ore and solar/void essence and have started to switch over to megas.

Someone suggested buying the magic rock candy on Thursdays and having +5 luck changes so much...

Don't forget your espresso! Even though you shouldn't be running around much, it definitely helps.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also, once you have the prismatic shards you need for other purposes, 3 of them for a magic rock candy is totally worth it. You'll get much more than 6000G of value out of the MRC on an all-day deep cavern dive.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

You don't really need staircases. I guess I should have said ladder instead. Basically, break rocks until you find a way down and take it, even if there are goodies still on the level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You definitely want some staircases to skip infested and long/spiral levels

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tars Tarkas posted:

I had that and a lady and a pig who show up twice a week solved that problem for far cheaper than I thought

Good suggestion. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

If I have the Galaxy Sword and have already donated one to the museum, is there anything else I need Prismatic Shards for?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

If I have the Galaxy Sword and have already donated one to the museum, is there anything else I need Prismatic Shards for?

Upgrading weapons and tools at the lava forge.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe 1.6 changed this, but it used to be that once a ladder exists on a floor you can't get holes. My play so far in 1.6 suggests this is still true.

I won't remember ladders making holes impossible, I'm pretty sure I've found a hole after seeing a ladder. But I could be out of date.

For bombs I use Megas. I'll craft them if I have a big pile of solar essence and gold but if that's low I'll just buy a huge pile. By the point you're mining for iridium deep in the skull caverns the 200,000 cost for a couple stacks should be insignificant. I'll have a pile of healing items so the self damage doesn't matter either.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

Volcano forge or the new portable forge they added with 1.6.

Essentially one prismatic shard plus 20 cinder shards will enchant your iridium quality sword or tool with an “enchantment”. For example, your watering can can be enchanted to be bottomless (never run out of water) or even cover more ground than the 18 tiles it has. Fishing rod can get an autohook ability that automatically hook a fish without a button press. Swords have several things, but the best for me is always crusader that lets you wreck the skull cavern mummies permanently, they won’t respawn. Vampirism will occasionally heal you when you kill something, that’s useful too.

Your first enchantment on an item is random, but each enchantment after that will follow an order. So if you don’t get the enchantment you want, it takes another prismatic shard to try again. Luckily it goes in a set order till it cycles back around to your first enchanted again, no RNG there. So it could cost 1 prismatic shard or maybe 4-5 depending on what you want.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Also everyone loves prismatic shards except uh Hailey?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

For bombs I use Megas. I'll craft them if I have a big pile of solar essence and gold but if that's low I'll just buy a huge pile. By the point you're mining for iridium deep in the skull caverns the 200,000 cost for a couple stacks should be insignificant. I'll have a pile of healing items so the self damage doesn't matter either.

If you have the money then sure mega bombs can be bought, but, a full stack of them costs 1,598,400G. They're pretty expensive--if you use like 60 of them on a skull cavern dive that's 96,000G which you're probably not getting that much out of the cavern. If you're not doing a speedrun type of challenge it's better to just do some runs through the bottom 40 floors of the mine for components to manufacture them

e: in year 1 the 99 stone to make a staircase is actually only slightly more expensive (1,980G) than a mega bomb (1,600G), once you're into year 2 that's no longer viable though

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Also everyone loves prismatic shards except uh Hailey?

Waaaaaay too valuable an item to give out as gifts, especially when you consider how hugely valuable magic rock candy is for skull cavern runs

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 30, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Also you can make fun rainbow clothes.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Doc Fission posted:

I mostly use it to buy Magic Rock Candy after I'm done upgrading my equipment at the forge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I give my shards to Linus so he can throw them in the trash for me while we share some Blackberries and good times.

The mods I installed have given me a ton of Prismatic Shard nodes for whatever reason and I haven't even unlocked the Skull Cave yet. No clue which mods are doing it but I'm not complaining.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I never use the Magic Rock Candy :shobon: Spicy Eel and coffee and salmonberry/sashimi/blackberries are good enough for me. Mind I use rabbit's feets for catch-all loved gifts since they can also have quality bonuses, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Does anyone have images from the Hill-Top Farm from a playthrough? I'm looking for inspiration. The layout is, erm, challenging.

Edit: And do any of the item info/townsfolk location people integrate well with controllers? And if they're all the same which do I go for? I'll reach out for my keyboard if I have to.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 1, 2024