Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

FMguru posted:

"Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann" becomes "Bluff bluff bluff, bluff the stupid ogre"

*hits the high notes* "Bluff the stupid ooo-oooh--gre!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Elan sings to the melody of the Hogwarts School Song.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I've always heard Elan's song in my head as being similar to the end of "Transmission" by Joy Division where it goes "Dance, dance, dance, dance, to the radio"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWPGSQjFUc&t=125s

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Edit: gently caress me I'm dumb and missed that post. For some reason I thought I checked yesterday.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 3, 2018

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

A few days late but thanks for not being a fake Goblins post.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There are builds where you can both sneak attack at range AND sneak attack undead; the idea being you're striking at their meridians that carry negative energy that provides locomotion; like acupuncture.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

There are builds where you can both sneak attack at range AND sneak attack undead; the idea being you're striking at their meridians that carry negative energy that provides locomotion; like acupuncture.

In this case however. Elan's just saying the range does not matter cause she can't get a sneak attack anyway.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And yet she still walks into the room instead of staying in the doorway.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Even without sneak attack, bows still have a range increment.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Is the site super slow for anyone else ? I was trying to find one particular comic (that I don't recall the exact details of) and it's like it takes five seconds to load a page.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not being allowed sneak attack Undead was always super dumb to me. Like I viewed it as one of the worst parts of D&D, and more of a problem then anything alignment related.

Like the idea was Undead don't have functioning anatomy or weak points for you to exploit.
So you can't shoot a zombie in the head or stab a vampire in the Heart.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Or attack a skeleton in a structurally lode bearing bone

Like ok I get you can't sneak attack an incorporeal ghost, sure

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, it's even worse. You can also not sneak attack constructs, plants and oozes. Neither can you sneak attack creatures that have concealment, or creatures that are immune to critical hits. At reasonably high levels, you don't have to try to find any of those.

I once played a rogue in a one-shot where the DM had built every encounter with creatures that had one or more of these traits, entirely by accident. I was highly displeased.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Of all the things you can't sneak attack, oozes make the most sense. They don't have organs or even a particularly important part.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Concealment makes sense as well but concealment is just too broad and too easy to have. Like if you see someone in silhouette they have concealment, which is bullshit. You see they shape.

Like if someone is hiding behind a curtain, that's real concealment. Sure make it impossible to sneak attack that, you don't know what you're stabbing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There should be more monster weaknesses giving them vulnerability to sneak attack and critical hits. It's really odd that you can't sneak attack a golem for example; when the original myth of the golem had it animated by a piece of paper put in its mouth -- remove or deface the paper and it turns back to inert matter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The way I imagine golems as like clayface from Batman the animated series I'm fine with them not being able to be sneak attacked

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The way I imagine golems as like clayface from Batman the animated series I'm fine with them not being able to be sneak attacked

That's an ooze, buddy

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Concealment makes sense as well but concealment is just too broad and too easy to have. Like if you see someone in silhouette they have concealment, which is bullshit. You see they shape.

Like if someone is hiding behind a curtain, that's real concealment. Sure make it impossible to sneak attack that, you don't know what you're stabbing.

Something like a rock with dim light casted on it was enough because anything that lowers the light level by 1 causes concealment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

That's an ooze, buddy
oh poo poo, ooze golem

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh poo poo, ooze golem

Golem Cube.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yukari posted:

Something like a rock with dim light casted on it was enough because anything that lowers the light level by 1 causes concealment.

Tell me he's not immune to sneak attacks

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I don't think things are immune to being sneak attacked in 5e, I know they weren't in 4th.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nah, he gets wrecked by a sneak attack from Dom in the opening to The Fate of the Furious.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was reading about weapons of legacy last night, as you do, and it sounds like the rules for them are hilariously borked too. 3.5 :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Phanatic posted:

Golem Cube.

Let’s not spread Cube Warlock outside of Hearthstone.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

The best part of this is that it means an assassin can't sneak attack someone to death while they sleep in a darkened room. They have concealment from the darkness.

(Sure they can coup de grace or whatever but still.)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The best part of this is that it means an assassin can't sneak attack someone to death while they sleep in a darkened room. They have concealment from the darkness.

(Sure they can coup de grace or whatever but still.)

Well, in that case it kind of makes sense. Coup de gras kills them outright, sneak attack might not as it just does damage. The concealment thing is still dumb, but sometimes it's dumb enough to wrap around and make sense.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Wrestlers are notoriously incredibly susceptible to sneak attacks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

LupusAter posted:

Wrestlers are notoriously incredibly susceptible to sneak attacks.

It's not the sneak attack, it's the folding chair.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At least no one can ever sneak attack John Cena.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wanderer posted:

It's not the sneak attack, it's the folding chair.

Folding chairs are just improvised weapons. Everyone knows that the Heel prestiege class has advanced sneak attack progression.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

sebmojo posted:

I was reading about weapons of legacy last night, as you do, and it sounds like the rules for them are hilariously borked too. 3.5 :allears:

How do you mean? From the little I recall of that book they mostly seemed underwhelming.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Did they fix sneak attack in 5e?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Raenir Salazar posted:

According to the SRD for 5e, it works a bit differently.

quote:

Sneak Attack

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll. The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.

So yeah, it looks like you can sneak attack the darkness now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah anything can be sneak attacked at at any range. You just need advantage on the roll (Something you can get from attacking from stealth.) or an ally within 5 ft of the enemy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Olanphonia posted:

How do you mean? From the little I recall of that book they mostly seemed underwhelming.

That's what I meant, in that you get a weapon and build your entire class around it and it's basically the same as a level appropriate random drop

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

That's what I meant, in that you get a weapon and build your entire class around it and it's basically the same as a level appropriate random drop

At best. Quite a few are significantly worse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hell, you can play a Kensai and get a magic weapon and actual class features!

Edit: I mean, they're kinda lovely class features because somebody at WotC decided that the best thing a weapon-focused PrC needs is a 3/4 BAB, but still better than Ancestral.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Technically, they fixed it in 4E.