Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In other news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB7Lbia7Nlc

This video is 90% speculation based on a small tidbit of information doled out by a korean news site, but it's all sensible speculation. tl;dw: Samsung is releasing a 34" gaming monitor during the initial roll-out of their "QD Display" line of displays, which is their fancy marketing speech for OLED with a quantum dot filter. Specifically, it's a blue light OLED panel with quantum dots turning that blue light into other colors. It's expected to be much more efficient than regular OLED due to less light filtration being necessary. So more total brightness, and less energy needed per nit. This should also make burn-in happen more slowly. Exactly by how much is unknown currently, but in its early iterations it may lack some of the efficiency and screen-preservation features that LG has developed over the years for their panels.

The 34" monitor is almost certainly going to be a 21:9 ultrawide. And it would be weird if it didn't have a higher-than-60hz refresh rate since they'll be marketing it as a flagship gaming monitor. You can also expect it to be extraordinarily expensive. Maybe $2500 like the Neo G9, or maybe even $3000+ like Asus' mini LED 4K IPS. These prices should hopefully improve as yield rates improve.
6 years later. $3000 monitors? I mean I guess if you want an average monitor. High end? 7k. Progress! TVs will be like $800 and 60 inches. They'll of course track everything (more so than now) you do but they're so cheap who cares!

That being said I'll seriously consider buying that Samsung when it's out.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know, maybe it'll be more reasonable, but with high-end 34" ultrawides costing $1300 and 38" ultrawides costing $1700, but I have to expect a 34" ultrawide featuring a brand new OLED tech (that's still going through teething issues in the production process) to cost at least $2000. And it will probably sell out immediately and become impossible to find. And since you'll be an early adopter on yet another new display tech from Samsung, expect some QC issues.

I wish they would've attempted to refine their QLED monitors more before giving up and switching to OLED. The G7 and G9 QLED displays have their issues, but they weren't anything that couldn't have been eliminated in further revisions, had they kept going with it. The Neo G9 has a far greater mini LED density than any of Samsung's QLED TVs, and it produced some pretty amazing HDR visuals, capable of hitting brightness levels that current OLED panels can only dream of. We'll see what these "QD-Displays" can do, but hopefully someone else will pick up the torch where Samsung left off with when it comes to mini LED VA panels.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I reserved the HP X27q for $250 this weekend, it sold out shortly after. I like it, I don't think any of my pixels are dead, there's some glow in the bottom corners but not much, slightly more on the left than the right, or maybe that's just because my lamp is on that side of the room? :iiam:

I know they still had the MSI mag274qrf-QD in stock by the time I got to the store but I could only find the mag274qrf on display, if they had both side by side and I could see some kind of difference I might've been convinced to spend the extra hundred.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oops! I bought an m32u!

Wow it's big

Wow it's bright and clear.

Gonna finish cable management and dial in the recommended settings etc.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I got a M32U too. It's very nice but I miss the LED that was behind my LG monitor. It was nice light.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From the PC Building thread:

Shear Modulus posted:

If anyone is buying stuff of Newegg there's an absurd coupon code where if you pay for something with one of those weird 0% interest consumer installment loans from a company I've never heard of called "Zip", you get 15% off the order up to $100 off. I used it to knock $100 of a 12700k and motherboard. The coupon code is BFCMPAY4

$666 gets you the full $100 discount. That's a $700 M32U. Or a $2700 ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX (Open Box) :haw:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

I got a M32U too. It's very nice but I miss the LED that was behind my LG monitor. It was nice light.

I've had backlighting on the rear edge of my desk (powered by a usb port on my tower) for years, it's great and turns on/off with the system, adjusted to match the amber glow of my other peripherals, perfect solution. Also super cheap.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is there an off-the-shelf product for either reducing the size of a desk grommet hole for monitor mounting or increasing the surface area of a monitor arm grommet mount clamp?

I've got a desk with 3" grommet holes and all the monitor grommet mounts are designed for 2" grommet holes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently IPS glow is a fixed issue, but the solution was expensive or something so manufacturers stopped including it. Something called an Advanced True Wide Polarizer. Smart move, since most reviewers barely mention it, and many users don't seem to mind it.

https://imgur.com/a/MBqzaj9#dUI8LbC

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Im looking at going from 27” 1440p + 24” 1080p monitors to an ultra wide, is there any reason to consider a used LG 34GN850-B or LG34GK950F-B over a new Gigabyte G34WQC? The LGs are significantly more expensive new than the Gigabyte, ~£900 vs £440 but even a used GK950 is looking to be a minimum of around £500. Looking at reviews and the specs I see they’re IPS vs the VA panel on the Gigabyte but I struggle to see any real advantage from that. Am I missing anything?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rinkles posted:

If someone wants the monitor I ditched for the M27Q, the LG 27GL83A-B is on sale at Amazon for $300. Again, I didn't like it, but a lot of people love it.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF
what's your M32U configuration? I just got mine in last night and i'm trying to get it dialed in.

VelociBacon posted:

Oops! I bought an m32u!

Wow it's big

Wow it's bright and clear.

Gonna finish cable management and dial in the recommended settings etc.
what r they

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

what's your M32U configuration? I just got mine in last night and i'm trying to get it dialed in.

what r they

From RTings.com, set overdrive to 'picture quality' and make sure you don't enable local dimming. After that I just turned the brightness way way down. Also make sure you upgrade the firmware, it does it through the OSD application so you need both things from the gigabyte support page. Current is F06.

I actually think I maybbbeee would prefer a 28" display over the 32". Might return this for the M28U.

e; I don't know if you're supposed to leave HDR enabled for the monitor in windows.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Begall posted:

Im looking at going from 27” 1440p + 24” 1080p monitors to an ultra wide, is there any reason to consider a used LG 34GN850-B or LG34GK950F-B over a new Gigabyte G34WQC? The LGs are significantly more expensive new than the Gigabyte, ~£900 vs £440 but even a used GK950 is looking to be a minimum of around £500. Looking at reviews and the specs I see they’re IPS vs the VA panel on the Gigabyte but I struggle to see any real advantage from that. Am I missing anything?

VA panels get "dark-level smear", where pixel response times when transitioning out of and between dark colors are incredibly slow, sometimes taking multiple frames. In the best case, there are often faint dark trails behind moving objects. In the worst case, it gets smeary as hell. VAs also tend to have poor viewing angles, which is why most are curved (so the edges of the screen are angled in toward the viewer). The G34WQC looks to have some noticeable VA smear, but it's not the worst VA panel out there. I would check to see how much the Dell S3422DWG costs in your region and consider that, as apparently it's a little bit better than the G34WQC. The Asus TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B is also not too terrible about smearing, and it may have better contrast than the Dell or Gigabyte monitors.

If you want crystal clear motion performance, then you're gonna have to get an IPS, and IPS ultrawides are much more expensive. There are two budget IPS options in the form of the Acer NItro XV340CK Pbmiipphzx and the Gigabyte M34WQ, however. Their response times are kinda middling (nowhere near as good as the LG panels) and their contrast suffer compared to their VA counterparts, but they won't get nearly as smeary. The other catch is that they're flat, and you may prefer a curved ultrawide.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 30, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Sorry I have a M27Q. I'd use the RT settings as starting point, like VelociBacon suggested.

I adjust the gamma setting on my monitor most of the time when gaming to help with dark scene visibility (dark details, that on an old TN would be easy to make out, unlike IPS screens in my experience). Or rather I made a few presets to switch between.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 1, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody with a M27Q try using a USB hub through the USB C port? My hub is showing power, but nothing I connect through it is registering.

e:I also can't get my ipad to connect directly via usb c. If I connect the hub to the monitor via HDMI, and then the ipad to the hub via usb c I can send a video signal to the monitor and the ipad charges (albeit very very slowly). e2:to be clear, the ipad isn't charging over hdmi, my hub has a separate port for power delivery.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 1, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anybody with a M27Q try using a USB hub through the USB C port? My hub is showing power, but nothing I connect through it is registering.

e:I also can't get my ipad to connect directly via usb c. If I connect the hub to the monitor via HDMI, and then the ipad to the hub via usb c I can send a video signal to the monitor and the ipad charges (albeit very very slowly).

I’ve had spotty luck with the USB switching too. My work computer (a MacBook Pro) has had intermittent trouble connecting with USB devices. It was working last week, but now it won’t even switch with just my keyboard plugged in. At the same time though, my own M1 Air seems to handle it just fine and can handle switching back and forth a few devices (audio interface, MIDI keyboard, mouse, keyboard). My work computer has been pretty awful on a number of fronts, so I was hoping it was something unique to it. Sounds like no though.

Anyway, you might want to try a firmware update. Mine has F03, and keeps failing on the F04 update unfortunately. I think I’ll have to open a support case. :-/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah can't get it to work. This was more of a curiosity to me than something I'd regularly use, but it would be nice to know what's wrong.

I'm also not sure if you're supposed to be able to use the USB C port as a regular port for connecting peripherals. I think maybe not, though kind of a waste if so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samsung's Odyssey Neo G9 is $1650 in their US store after an education discount: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--odyssey-g95na-gaming-dqhd-led-monitor-ls49ag952nnxza/

As far as I can tell, Samsung doesn't do anything to verify your status as a student/educator/parent, which is the group this discount is meant to apply to. You just select the discount and you get it.

This is Samsung's flagship 32:9 ultrawide with a 2000-zone mini LED backlight, giving a better HDR experience than possibly any other commercial LCD panel currently available (it has far greater backlight zone density than even their top-end QLED TVs). It's also been plagued with QC issues, though apparently its firmware is in a fairly decent place right now. $1650 is obviously a very steep price, but it's meant to fulfill the role of two monitors (and it can even accept dual inputs), and you won't get HDR like it anywhere else in the PC space.

Honestly, if I hadn't recently dropped $650 on another monitor, I'd consider it... (but i'd probably chicken out)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 1, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

$1650 Smackers for the privilege of helping them QC test a monitor - who says no?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

look man, we're desperate out here.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The prices on Dell's site are all over the place. I was bummed I missed out on the black Friday deal on the S3422DWG and randomly refreshed an open tab on their site and saw it went down to $399 (was $449). I jumped on the order and just saw it's now $475.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Anyone know if the default profiles on MSI Optix monitors are Rec 2020? For some reason, it's not shown anywhere, even in the custom profiles.

Unless the profile name is the gamut like DCI-P3, sRGB, Adobe RGB etc. But for every other one, it's a bit of a mess.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

look man, we're desperate out here.

Right? It's wild that after all this time, we haven't seen much progress since like...3? 4? years ago?

Hardware really is hard.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Think the 27GP850 could go on sale again before Christmas? Missed the BF deal unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

Think the 27GP850 could go on sale again before Christmas? Missed the BF deal unfortunately.

Hard to say. That was the first time it has ever dipped down that low. For the rest of its life, it's been wavering between $450 and $500. I wouldn't hold my breath on a $375 deal happening again so soon.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In prior years that weren't 2020, there were often more good sales through December and into January. I don't know that that means anything this year, but it's a data point to be aware of.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
generally the wisdom in the UK was that black friday and christmas sales were bullshit, given the absolute best case is you get a loss leader or something and the rest of the "low prices" were well within typical promo ranges, just concentrated. january, late jan in particular, when they're liquidating any excess christmas stock on clearance was when you'd get the insane deals.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's definitely true for 98% margin "luxury" brand clothes/accessories, 80% margin plastic toys, and absolutely anything sports/celeb branded, but for actually desirable technology the sales are usually legitimately good, so long as it's not being lured to an otherwise uninteresting item by a sale.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I saw plenty of decent deals, but not too many incredible ones this year. Though I was mostly focused on pc components.

Like one of the hotter items was a Corsair case reduced to its original MSRP.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
does anyone have a recommendation for a 32" 1440p monitor with a 1800R curvature? my current samsung got discontented due to a QC issue (lol samsung), and i don't think i can do a flat monitor while still sitting as close as i'd like.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Picked up my LG monitor today, no dead pixels! Was a tad too bright out of the box but easily fixed. This control "nub" for the screen menu/power is very Nintendo 64 and just made me laugh.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I think I figured out at least part of why the colors were sometimes kind of weird on my MSI MAG274QRF-QD. If you turn on the sRGB mode, then turn MPRT on and then off again, it will still say it is in sRGB mode but it sure looks like it isn't until you switch it off and on again. Fortunately I've had it set properly, but I just tried MPRT again today and it took me a minute to figure out why everything looked super saturated after I turned it off again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Apparently IPS glow is a fixed issue, but the solution was expensive or something so manufacturers stopped including it. Something called an Advanced True Wide Polarizer. Smart move, since most reviewers barely mention it, and many users don't seem to mind it.

https://imgur.com/a/MBqzaj9#dUI8LbC

Shame that didn't stay fixed.
Now if only we could get a fix for backlight bleed. I like my M27Q but I can definitely notice the bleed sometimes.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I think my Predator XB271HU display port might be dying. I keep getting these slight flickers/noticeable refreshes with the DP that persist after changing out cables and changing out my 3080's DP outs.

Are good 1400p HDR monitors still nonexistent? I don't really want to go to 4k. I have been wanting to try an ultra-wide instead of two 27" monitors. Are people that have made that trade happy?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Whitest Russian posted:

I think my Predator XB271HU display port might be dying. I keep getting these slight flickers/noticeable refreshes with the DP that persist after changing out cables and changing out my 3080's DP outs.

Are good 1400p HDR monitors still nonexistent? I don't really want to go to 4k. I have been wanting to try an ultra-wide instead of two 27" monitors. Are people that have made that trade happy?

Yeah, monitor HDR in general right now is mostly non-existent. There are a handful of absurdly expensive monitors, but that's it. The Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX is a 32" 4K IPS monitor with a 1152 local dimming zones. There's still some noticeable blooming in worst-case scenarios, but in most content it supposedly looks pretty good. Tough, it's 4K which you don't want, and also three thousand US dollars. It also has a kinda slow panel. It's 144hz which sounds good, but the response times are akin to the IPS monitors from a few years ago where you generally got subpar motion clarity compared to TNs.

The Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 is even better at HDR. It's a 49" 32:9 super ultrawide, 5120x1440, which is technically fewer pixels than 4K and so easier to drive (and I bet in a lot of games you may want to restrict the horizontal resolution to be not so wide). It's 240hz, it's a Samsung QLED panel with over 2000 local dimming zones, with very little noticeable blooming even in worst-case content. It sounds amazing, but its MSRP is $2500, and it's been plagued with QC issues. Many of them have been resolved through firmware updates, though there are still a few lingering issues. You can get it for $1650 from the US Samsung store with an education discount (you do not need to provide any form of proof to receive the discount).

The regular Odyssey G9 is the same monitor as the one above but with a mere 1000-nit backlight and no meaningful local dimming (just a few edge-lit zones). This means it's HDR is heavily downgraded, though it can still get pretty drat bright in HDR mode and its native contrast is still pretty decent, so it's still better than any lovely 1440p IPS "HDR" out there right now. Some of the units shipping out right now still seem to exhibit a couple of the QC issues described above, like the "scanline" effect, but most of the Neo G9's issues was with its HDR implementation, so they don't apply to this one. It's $900 right now at Samsung's store with the education discount.

There are no other options out right now that are worth talking about, but next year may see quite a few miniLED-backlit monitors come out. Basically every monitor manufacturer has announced some kind of upcoming flagship product with HDR and local dimming as their focus. Expect them all to cost $1000 or more, even the 1440p ones. The first one out may be AOC's AG274QXM, which is a 27" 1440p IPS with 576 zones. It seems like a potentially not great implementation with a moderate amount of blooming. In real content it might be a decent improvement over SDR though.

The mini-LED monitors I'd look out for are any that use VA panels (better native contrast than IPS means less light bloom around bright objects with local dimming on) and potentially LG's upcoming monitors that use a new technology they call "IPS Black" to improve IPS's native contrast, though... we'll see (also apparently their first releases with that tech will be 4K only). Samsung is also apparently going to release a 34" ultrawide OLED monitor during their first run of QD-OLED releases (blue-light OLEDs using quantum dots to filter the light, said to be much more efficient than LG WOLED). That's coming at some unspecified point next year and will assuredly cost an arm and a leg.

Anyway, that about sums it up for now. HDR in computer monitors sucks and is expensive and full of potential issues if you do shell out for it. The releases next year are the vanguard of monitor companies newfound focus on HDR as the next big thing, and I'm expecting them to become a whole lot more affordable come 2023. But that's obviously a long way off considering your current monitor is acting up now. The regular Odyssey G9 for $900 sounds like a potentially decent get though. It's not "real" HDR, but it'll be better than the SDR we've all been used to, if anything just because its ability to get really loving bright to make highlights pop while still maintaining decent contrast (2500:1). Though to be honest, the other part of me wants to say to just get a budget replacement for now (M27Q, whatever), and wait for better HDR monitors to finally come out.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 3, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Though to be honest, the other part of me wants to say to just get a budget replacement for now (M27Q, whatever), and wait for better HDR monitors to finally come out.

Do this, but duster the monitor's DP port first. But in all likelihood, something likely unfixable is dying.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll probably end up holding on to it until the flickering gets bad enough and then go with the M27Q since it's relatively cheap.

Also, compressed air didn't seem to help even though a bunch of poo poo came flying out. I might hit it with some electronic contact cleaner that I have laying around though.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Amazon Warehouse has a bunch of 27GP850 for $356, should I risk it. Anyone buy monitors from there before?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Lots of people itt. Most report that the monitors are basically brand new with some blemishes to the packaging. Obviously you could get unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can't get unlucky because of Amazon's return policy. All you can lose is time and a tiny bit of effort.