Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's not quite "historical" but in a similar vein a massive amount of Fantasy settings have "Religion" be the Southern Baptist Convention in costumes with the protagonists being modern day "I'm spiritual but not religious" secular liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

HEY GUNS posted:

i go to a lot of effort trying to get past this in my teaching and the book i'm writing. people tend to assume early 17th century common soldiers were--if not monsters in human form whom you can safely dismiss--basically people just like them, but dressed differently. like a costume.

Could you expand on this a little? I’m intrigued how the psychology was actually different or how it was perceived to be different.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Ugh the new Assassin's Creed is doing vikings like everybody was five years ago. I want an An Lushan Rebellion setting. Tang China is a setting that hasn't been done to death like the Three Kingdoms or Sengoku Japan or vikings or Rome.

Have you seen the TV show Longest Day In Chang'an? Tang Dynasty setting with really great performance and production value. Kind of like if HBO Rome and a police procedural had a baby. Whole thing is on YouTube and subtitled.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 4, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What palace is being portrayed in the Austrian Emperor scenes from Amadeus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgqBQamzus

Is it a stand in for some other palace that wasn't filmable?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Baron Porkface posted:

What palace is being portrayed in the Austrian Emperor scenes from Amadeus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgqBQamzus

Is it a stand in for some other palace that wasn't filmable?

Those scenes were filmed at the Archbishop's Palace in Prague. Here's a complete list of filming locations for Amadeus:

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/a/Amadeus.php

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

Those scenes were filmed at the Archbishop's Palace in Prague. Here's a complete list of filming locations for Amadeus:

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/a/Amadeus.php

Return To Castle Wallenstein

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Any recommendations for online material in the same vein as the "A collection of unmitigated pedantry"-blog? Somebody linked his series on Sparta earlier, and I found it really instructive.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

military cervix posted:

Any recommendations for online material in the same vein as the "A collection of unmitigated pedantry"-blog? Somebody linked his series on Sparta earlier, and I found it really instructive.

I must say, he seems pretty negative towards Sparta; he accepts the view of the krypteia as murderous secret police unquestioningly, for example.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm talking about the middle ages. you're talking about the early modern period. they're not the same. for a number of historical reasons the galileo thing happend in baasically the worst century it could have for him.

This made me look up what astronomers in the middle ages were actually doing. And it turns out there was a debate! In a way. Apparently people were discussing how borked the Julian Calendar were.

Johannes de Sacrobosco, a Western astronomer born in 1195 (year of death is uncertain) even accurately described the defects of the calendar and suggested a solution that was apparently close to the later Gregorian calendar, just about three centuries too early.

And then there was Omar Khayyam: Poet, mathematician, astronomer. He also made a calendar of his own. The Jalali calendar was more accurate then the later Gregorian calendar and remained in use from the 11th century until 1925, when it was simplified and resulted in the modern-day Iranian calendar. Sweet! Could have spared us a lot of calendar-related headaches if our ancestors had used that one instead of our own bad idea calendars.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

This made me look up what astronomers in the middle ages were actually doing. And it turns out there was a debate! In a way. Apparently people were discussing how borked the Julian Calendar were.
Super borked. I think Dante made some jokes about how eventually Christmas and Easter would be the same day.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Triskelli posted:

Could you expand on this a little? I’m intrigued how the psychology was actually different or how it was perceived to be different.

This is something Joel F Harrington writes about a fair bit. Basically his argument is that people in his period (16th and 17th century Europe, mostly Germany) lived a life of extreme precarity. Not just the possibility of war, but the threat of disease, domestic accident, crime, arbitrary justice and natural disaster. This made them value order at any cost. If your neighbour gets executed for stealing then, well, at least it's order rather than chaos.

When it comes to how they thought about psychology, there is a much bigger belief in personality as something medical and fixed. To the 17th century mind you are governed by certain stars, and certain humours predominate. You get angry or horny or sad because of some inborn prompting. It's actually not so far from 21st century beliefs, but quite different from the view espoused in the 19th and 20th century, when most people believed in an abstract quality of character or will which would allow you to overcome any sinful inclinations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

This is something Joel F Harrington writes about a fair bit. Basically his argument is that people in his period (16th and 17th century Europe, mostly Germany) lived a life of extreme precarity. Not just the possibility of war, but the threat of disease, domestic accident, crime, arbitrary justice and natural disaster. This made them value order at any cost. If your neighbour gets executed for stealing then, well, at least it's order rather than chaos.

maybe it was you who first mentioned this but I remember someone commenting on how the 16th and 17th century Europeans who first traveled to China mostly thought the government and legal system was great. They'd write back home all like "some official asked us for a bribe and the Imperial authorities found out and cut his head off like a week later. It was great! I love justice." Then in the 18th and 19th centuries when Europeans visited they'd see the exact same scenes but write back "these guy's justice system is crazy brutal and extreme, how barbaric!" Even though nothing had changed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Silver2195 posted:

I must say, he seems pretty negative towards Sparta; he accepts the view of the krypteia as murderous secret police unquestioningly, for example.

How could anyone be negative towards The Antebellum South: Ancient Greece Edition, I ask you?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Squalid posted:

maybe it was you who first mentioned this but I remember someone commenting on how the 16th and 17th century Europeans who first traveled to China mostly thought the government and legal system was great. They'd write back home all like "some official asked us for a bribe and the Imperial authorities found out and cut his head off like a week later. It was great! I love justice." Then in the 18th and 19th centuries when Europeans visited they'd see the exact same scenes but write back "these guy's justice system is crazy brutal and extreme, how barbaric!" Even though nothing had changed

It wasn't me, but this completely scans with everything I know about early moderns vs moderns.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'm reminded of how the first European visitors to Korea were treated. They were a bunch of Dutch sailors who shipwrecked on the coast. Technically entering Korea was a crime, as was leaving Korea, so the sailors were immediately in trouble already. However the government is surprisingly understanding to them, and were all like "look, we know you crashed and weren't smugglers or anything. But the laws say we can't let you ever escape. Here's a small allowance and some new clothes, please enjoy your stay." It was almost apologetic in tone. One administrator even appeared to give them tips on how to sneak out. But when some of them DID steal a boat and sail to Japan, it immediately swooped in and executed everyone it could catch involved, including the Korean who sold the boat. Their justice system was serious but could also be surprisingly fair.

So this isn't just my weird rambling here's one recitation of a passage from one of these first visitors subsequent account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju4OMkY5Haw

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So thanks to the heads up about coins in here I'm now the proud owner of an Aurelius denarius.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stringent posted:

So thanks to the heads up about coins in here I'm now the proud owner of an Aurelius denarius.

:agesilaus::hf::agesilaus:
I also got Septimus Severus denari, a Vespasian denarius and a Constantine denari. And also a Nero quadran.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only good quality one I have is a Trajan denarius.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The helmet is boar tusk sewn to a leather cap.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

bone armor is cool

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I just watched this British Museum thing on medieval jew stones and was reminded of the conversation about jems itt recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAJmvS_0RBY

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBu6cixcaxI

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

honestly everything posted there is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZMqY3d-dQA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The reliquary is amazing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

love that Greco-Buddhist art

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arglebargle III posted:

Walking in that thing cannot have been fun. Bang... bang... bang.... on one knee, then the other, every step...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't post any context but that's a Mycenaean panoply in a Greek museum. Pretty different from our cultural imagination of the siege of Troy.

I finished Herodotus and moved onto Thucydides. Some points that stuck out:

Greek politics were far more chaotic than I'd ever realized. The poleis were constantly intervening in each other's internal politics.

The Pan-Hellenic view of the Persian Wars is pretty important to the Greek view of the conflict, because otherwise it's the story of Athens Makes a Big Mistake. This is a theme continuing in Thucydides: Athenian democracy seems to produce half-assed military adventures that are just big enough to get Athens into trouble but not large enough to achieve their objectives.

This Aristagoras of Miletus is a real character.

Big props to Cyrus for realizing that invading Sarmatia was a very bad idea and retreating.

Evacuating Attica must have been a huge disruption and I wonder how that went. Herodotus doesn't dwell on those logistics. Attica isn't very big but still.

Interesting to hear that Thermopylae was originally supposed to be the site of the decisive battle and the Greeks either underestimated how fast the Persians would arrive or procrastinated too long to get there.

Moving to Thucydides is a big tonal change. Thucydides is interested in trends in power politics, technological development and economics where Herodotus was not.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tree Bucket posted:

Walking in that thing cannot have been fun. Bang... bang... bang.... on one knee, then the other, every step...
big floppy 17th century tassets will bruise. Black bruises on your thighs.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

walking's for chumps who don't have chariots.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I assume the helmet is bone for weight reasons?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume the helmet is bone for weight reasons?

Iirc there is a bit in Homer where two dudes are arguing about whether boar tusk or metal cheek guards were better. It has been a looooong time but I think it was more about strength.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Weka posted:

Iirc there is a bit in Homer where two dudes are arguing about whether boar tusk or metal cheek guards were better.
glad to know there will always be Weapons Dads

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Metal doesn't grow on pigs.
Tusk (ivory) is also a rather different material from bone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Metal doesn't grow on pigs.

The rest of the armor is bronze though.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1260983206746009600?s=20

These are not the actual games, but the free roaming educational versions that give you cool facts about the setting.

I assume this might be of interest to others in this thread.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where did ya'll get coins

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The discovery tour is the poo poo. You can visit Alexanders tomb as Caesar. And they give a lot of interesting offbeat facts to make it interesting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All you have to do is register a Uplay account and these two free offers are at the top of the news feed. Just click the claim button and you get them added to your account and can download them any time.

I wish there was more history map nodes in Odyssey like there were back in the Assassin's Creed 2 days, where things as small as random little churches would have a brief history attached. I suppose part of that is the antiquity of the setting compared to Renaissance Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have a Byzantine coin that will be used to identify my corpse when it's found embraced by another much older corpse in a well in Ireland years after my mysterious disappearance.