Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Calax posted:

It seems like, story line wise, they're building to their story being one of the primary ones, given that Luther's out in the wild, and I want to say that there was suggestion that the Fallen were gathering on a planet for a climactic duel.

I think probably the best way to use them is to have them hunting heretics if you want them to be seen as "good guys". Their chapter is built around secrecy and ferreting out secrets so having them deployed to a planet in the midst of a chaotic uprising (or genestealers) would be ideal.

Wanna see them sussing out sussy chaos nonsense and go sword against cloak and dagger of the Alpha Legion. Have one say "I'm Alpharius." with a DA marine responding coldly, "no you're not" and whack their head off.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Wanna see them sussing out sussy chaos nonsense and go sword against dagger and cloak of the Alpha Legion. Have one say "I'm Alpharius." with a DA marine responding coldly, "no you're not" and whack their head off.

Another small favorite part of the new alpha legion book is a large council of legionaries convening, and when one introduces themself as Alpharius the whole room erupts into boos and jeers. They're so tired of it themselves.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galvanik posted:

IIRC that's a story they tell non inner circle marines to gauge their reactions to the idea of returning to what was your home then finding out that it's been corrupted beyond salvation.
Nah, it's actually a short story that was republished as recently as 2013.

Z the IVth posted:

How did they square the older Native American imagery with the new DA origin story? Or was that just quietly dropped.
They just do it. What's to say that they weren't Native American knightly orders all along?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

How did they square the older Native American imagery with the new DA origin story? Or was that just quietly dropped.

IIRC they still recruit from worlds vaguely inspired by north american first nations but the feather decorations and such are now angel feathers instead of stereotypical headdress feathers. Probably for the best.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Another small favorite part of the new alpha legion book is a large council of legionaries convening, and when one introduces themself as Alpharius the whole room erupts into boos and jeers. They're so tired of it themselves.

My favorite throwaway line was about naval ratings coming to blows over what hat they were going to make their favorite servitor wear. Like of course stuff like that would happen. I'm picturing a whole room of servitors all wearing silly hats.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seeing just how far they could push the administratum silly hat regulations without tipping off their inspector.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arc Hammer posted:

Seeing just how far they could push the administratum silly hat regulations without tipping off their inspector.

Team Fortress 40,000

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

In fairness, read up on the 19th century British navy, where each Captain was more or less able to run his ship as he liked and you get some pretty great stories of uniform standards. One Captain thought top hats were pretty smart looking so all officers wore top hats as part of their navy uniforms. Doubtless with gold braid.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I thought briefly about wanting to read the new Militarum codex, but then I remembered hearing that codices have been pretty low on fluff as of late.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Wanna see them sussing out sussy chaos nonsense and go sword against cloak and dagger of the Alpha Legion. Have one say "I'm Alpharius." with a DA marine responding coldly, "no you're not" and whack their head off.

That or Night Lords trying to do some crazy demoralization plays with infiltrators and the like, and the Angel just shrug it off. Given the history between their primarchs that seems to work better from a narrative standpoint. They spend parts of the books hunting for the cults that are "preparing the way", and basically openly acting like knights out of King Arthur stories or something to counteract the demoralization.

Oop the local priest got murdered, Well now a Dark Angel chaplain leads the ceremony to crown his successor.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Sharkopath posted:

What's it called?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

OPAONI posted:

What's it called?

Renegades: Harrowmaster

its very cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FPyat posted:

I thought briefly about wanting to read the new Militarum codex, but then I remembered hearing that codices have been pretty low on fluff as of late.

they are pretty solid with fluff but not as much about unit fluff anymore.

also if you want some good warhammer figures.

https://www.cooltoysclub.com/Warhammer-40k-c770799.html

i have a whole squad of krieg and smurfs and they are great quality.

sisters are coming next week and tau are for presale.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Grey Knights in design/production. Following someone on twitter posting about them and showed off pictures of the baby carrier.
Apparently they're also planning to do Knights some point next year.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Grey Knights in design/production. Following someone on twitter posting about them and showed off pictures of the baby carrier.
Apparently they're also planning to do Knights some point next year.

stormtroopers in december, necrons too, most of the big imperial heroes. etc. i belong to the discord. its chill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are those joytoy figures posable or statues?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Are those joytoy figures posable or statues?

very posable. slightly bigger then star wars vintage collection stuff but way way better quality.. ill post some pics of mine later today or sometime.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 11, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

quote:

> Incoherent Data Transfer. File not extant. Go in the sight of the Throne, and know the purity of adequate data hygiene.
:allears:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Harrowmaster was pretty good. I especially liked, at the end, newly minted imperial inquisitor Evelyn Darke, formerly of Vorlese... :monocle:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

Harrowmaster was pretty good. I especially liked, at the end, newly minted imperial inquisitor Evelyn Darke, formerly of Vorlese... :monocle:

brooksverse, along w abnettverse, aint that some poo poo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

brooksverse, along w abnettverse, aint that some poo poo

He's had like 6 books come out in just the last year, all good reads. At this pace it won't take him long to be one of the most prolific BL authors. If he continues to improve as an author in a few years we will have another hall of famer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH he just needs quantity, he's already got the quality nailed.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also he should write more Ork books

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

He’s got other not 40k books too, I have the first one sitting in my to read stack

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH he just needs quantity, he's already got the quality nailed.

Oh yeah he is already better than 80% of the BL authors but even though he has written non-BL stuff too he has only been a published author for just a few years. If his quality continues to improve he'll be an all time great though. Chris Wraight is a good comparison. His very first books were about the level Brooks is now but he massively leveled up and is now maybe even better than Abnett.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.cityam.com/of-dice-and-men-how-ian-livingstone-conquered-the-nerd-universe/

I just picked up a copy of this book but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

AnEdgelord posted:

Also he should write more Ork books

:hmmorks:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He did write Warboss but for whatever reason we still only have the LE version out despite it coming out months ago. Not really sure what is going on with that? I've actually got the LE but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the paperback version is like 8 to 12 months after the hardback or something like that. Definitely a huge gap between releases either way.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

I think the paperback version is like 8 to 12 months after the hardback or something like that. Definitely a huge gap between releases either way.

Right, but the hardback hasn't come out yet is what I am saying. Usually that is out by now I feel like.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah, now that I must've missed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TiqiOexD-8

Slasha da Goff Rokker

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I was always into Warhammer Fantasy more than 40k. I always tried to always get recommendations on 40K stuff, but every time I did, the books recommended to me would start with 50 pages of Chumpus Mariolus of the Chapter Insectarium Arboretum introducing himself to every character in the galaxy. Then a goon recommended the first Krieg Death Korps book and I can now see myself becoming a mark for all of this. It was just so dumb and wonderful that I sat in my car in the driveway for an extra ten minutes last night as I waited for the audiobook to finish.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pennsylvanian posted:

I was always into Warhammer Fantasy more than 40k. I always tried to always get recommendations on 40K stuff, but every time I did, the books recommended to me would start with 50 pages of Chumpus Mariolus of the Chapter Insectarium Arboretum introducing himself to every character in the galaxy. Then a goon recommended the first Krieg Death Korps book and I can now see myself becoming a mark for all of this. It was just so dumb and wonderful that I sat in my car in the driveway for an extra ten minutes last night as I waited for the audiobook to finish.

try some necron books by rath or crowley

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

Carrion Throne

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's good but iirc it's introductions to the very end.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I don't mind slower pacing. The last straw was Helsreach, which came highly recommended but was introductions for a long time at the start. I'll go back to it one day, but I wanted something that dove into the action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe short stories collections might be a good option then?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I don't mind slower pacing. The last straw was Helsreach, which came highly recommended but was introductions for a long time at the start. I'll go back to it one day, but I wanted something that dove into the action.

What else have you been recommended in the past that you bounced off? That'll save people suggesting the things you already hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Theres a reason the thread title was ‘go read eisenhorn’ for a long rear end time.