Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
That looks great, but "looks kinda like Gunpoint" is I think underselling it slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was really surprised by how little I enjoyed Gunpoint, but that looks fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Orv posted:

That looks great, but "looks kinda like Gunpoint" is I think underselling it slightly.

It used to look a lot more like it. The prototype was basically a low-fi clone, visually speaking. The new art looks somewhat more distinct.

Gunpoint's dev really likes it, for what it's worth.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Orv posted:

It looks like gunpoint with Mark of the Ninja mechanics.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's the game Gunpoint guy is working now anyway and can I buy it yet?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

King Vidiot posted:

That's great, but I think I'd have to wait and see how many of my current games Windows 10 is inevitably going to break before I take the plunge. Also I have Windows 7 Professional with XP Virtual Mode, will I get that taken away from me if I switch to Windows 10? Will my old disc-based games be even less likely to run?

The "free for a year" thing sounds like there's a huge catch, like all your poo poo will be broken while they scramble to fix it, and it will probably conveniently take them a year before it's totally fixed and running properly.

xp mode only works in 7. in 8 it'll suddenly stop being an activated version of windows xp and you won't be able to run anything in it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Heat Signature

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

What's the game Gunpoint guy is working now anyway and can I buy it yet?

Heat Signature, it's a space ship-to-ship boarding stealth... thing. Not yet.

Dominic White posted:

It used to look a lot more like it. The prototype was basically a low-fi clone, visually speaking. The new art looks somewhat more distinct.

Gunpoint's dev really likes it, for what it's worth.

Don't get me wrong, that's totally fine and it looks like a potentially very good game, just amusing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm glad the conversation came around to Gunpoint, because I finally got around to playing that game and good god I want more games like it, pretty much immediately.

What are they, Steam Thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drifter posted:

Yes, please use the over 5-year old video of the intro cinematic, despite the game being much reworked and patched and translated. You're so great.

That intro is loving awesome, please don't tell me they ruined it in the remaster

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm glad the conversation came around to Gunpoint, because I finally got around to playing that game and good god I want more games like it, pretty much immediately.

What are they, Steam Thread.

Yeah, I experienced an immense sensation of sadness when I finished Gunpoint. I loved that game really a lot, like as a whole package with writing, music, graphics, and gameplay. The puzzle/hacking approach to each level was super engaging to me in a way that no game has really been in years.

Give me more Gunpoint, dammit :qq:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

That intro is loving awesome, please don't tell me they ruined it in the remaster

I think they removed it outright.

They really did retranslate the whole thing. It still kinda reads like it's a second language in places, but in a 'the syntax is slightly off on that sentence' way, rather than 'holy gently caress what does that entire paragraph even mean!?' way.

The HD version also adds a new faction (pirate alliance) that have their own victory conditions, missions, etc, and a bunch more little bits besides.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unfortunately the one sin War Apart makes is that they did remove the intro, yeah. But let's remember it with our favorite song.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Pews posted:

I think the majority of game play times like that are due to glitches/bugs, I'm fairly sure there's a way to modify your playtime manually as well.
One weekend my TF2 play time went up by like 800 hours between Friday and Sunday or something. I played the game a lot and idled for items when that used to work but still about half my play time was a glitch :shobon:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Dominic White posted:

Something to look forward to in the future - Devolver have just signed Ronin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLmbeogBfqU

I played a prototype build of this a while back. It looks kinda like Gunpoint, has goals and gear similar to Mark of The Ninja, but what really sets it apart is the turn-based combat. One hit is death, and you basically plan out one action at a time, with lines showing you which enemies will be shooting where, during that turn.

Coolest thing I did in the prototype was leap off a ledge above a guard, throw my sword down through his body fast enough to have it bounce off the floor, grapple-swung from the ceiling and caught the flying, rebounding blade all without touching the ground.

This looks amazing. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gunpoint was definitely one of my favorite games of 2013. Mark of the Ninja was incredible too. I'd love to see more games like that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So Words for Evil was included in one of the bundles linked yesterday, and I'm finding myself really enjoying it. It's a side-scrolling RPG Lite (in that your dudes have stats, but there doesn't seem to be any plot yet at least) where the 'battles' are you trying to spell out words faster than your opponent using a random grid of tiles; coming up with longer words/using more of the special 'attack' tiles powers up your hits.

Also it lets me use 'SARS' as a double-strength attack once and I laughed.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

WarLocke posted:

So Words for Evil was included in one of the bundles linked yesterday, and I'm finding myself really enjoying it. It's a side-scrolling RPG Lite (in that your dudes have stats, but there doesn't seem to be any plot yet at least) where the 'battles' are you trying to spell out words faster than your opponent using a random grid of tiles; coming up with longer words/using more of the special 'attack' tiles powers up your hits.

Also it lets me use 'SARS' as a double-strength attack once and I laughed.

drat it I already bought like 2 bundles some days ago, I don't want to buy more. Only like 2 out of the 10 games looks interesting.

PS: How does Doorways hold up to something like Penumbra?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Morter posted:

Not even close, but if you've run out of actual good walking sims, it's one of the better no-budget indie ones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Morter posted:

drat it I already bought like 2 bundles some days ago, I don't want to buy more. Only like 2 out of the 10 games looks interesting.

Honestly, I haven't tried any of the other games in the bundle yet. Most of my gametime right now is being spent on SRIV, One Finger Death Punch, Tomb of Tyrants, and Elite.

But I think Words for Evil is worth the $2 bundle cost on its own, and the other games being good would just be a bonus.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

God I hope people never stop making Unity horror games.

quote:

Do you remember the survival horror genre in 90s? The atmosphere? That fear? The main character is alone, near a forest. He doesn't remember anything about his life and this place. What is happened? Where is?

What is happened? Where is?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zombie Samurai posted:

Not even close, but if you've run out of actual good walking sims, it's one of the better no-budget indie ones.

The only walking sims I've played are Penumbra, Penumbra: Penumbra Harder, Amnesia: The First one, and Minecraft. So If it's not total poo poo i'll give this a lookie loo :shobon:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morter posted:

I've played 300+ hours of STALKER: Clear Sky and I wouldn't recommend it because I know most people wouldn't like it (or many things I do). I wouldn't go out of my way to write a negative/thumbs-down review, but I know objectively that it turns a lot of people off.

Clear Sky with the faction wars mod is fun as poo poo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wow The Crew and Evil Within sure went on sale pretty drat fast.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Finally, Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle released.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I want to grand slam my face into those anime tittays

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zombie Samurai posted:

God I hope people never stop making Unity horror games.

What is happened? Where is?

So this a port/remake of an N64 game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The "look at this anime game! dumb right" "looks hot actually" "let's argue about it for 10 pages" thing should be added to the steam cycle image if it isn't there already

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - It's the HD version of the N64 Superman game.

Is Citizens of the Earth any good? Metacritic scores average kinda mid 60s, and Steam reviews read like the game's suckin' their dicks or something. THere's a whole lot of "perfect"s and "better than Earthbound"s thrown around.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
More like concealed twins. Holy moly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Drifter posted:

^^^ - It's the HD version of the N64 Superman game.

Is Citizens of the Earth any good? Metacritic scores average kinda mid 60s, and Steam reviews read like the game's suckin' their dicks or something. THere's a whole lot of "perfect"s and "better than Earthbound"s thrown around.

A buddy of mine's been playing it on PS4 and says it's incredibly frustrating because it's got potential but is boring the piss out of her, warned me off buying it. Also "dungeons are super tedious".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quest For Glory II posted:

The "look at this anime game! dumb right" "looks hot actually" "let's argue about it for 10 pages" thing should be added to the steam cycle image if it isn't there already
There should be a thread for exclusively discussing anime games on Steam without the hate.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

There should be a thread for exclusively discussing anime games on Steam without the hate.

Just as long as it's not this thread, gently caress off with that poo poo.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

No anime game haters in the steam thread. I agree.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Palpek posted:

You'd have to take it into ADTRW.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

intolerance in the steam thread is really troubling

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Boring is the word I would have used

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

I feel the hate flow through you.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Orv posted:

The opposite

If you dont like it make "Other Steam Thread - Japanimation Makes Me Uncomfortable"

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't care about the context, the ironic gimmick shitposting needs to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I don't care about the context, the ironic gimmick shitposting needs to go.

Be the change you want to see :)

• Locked thread