Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

This might be a tough one, I only saw a brief part of this movie a looooooong time ago but I just remembered about it, and want to watch it.

So:
Basically someone died and he went to a Heaven place. But there he could choose to either go back to earth or stay in heaven. The dude could watch his life on a tv screen too.

That is all I really remember sorry.. help.

It sounds like Defending Your Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Sizzlechest posted:

It sounds like Defending Your Life.

Awesome, just looked at the trailer and that looks right. Thanks duder. Now I just have to remember another movie I've wanted to watch forever.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002
When I was a kid, I saw this horror movie on TV that started with a woman being trapped in a basement of a house, being tormented by someone in the house. When she's finally able to get out of the basement, she finds that the guy has built this big maze in her house full of traps and poo poo to scare her. It had to be a 70's or 80's movie.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
This is kind of vague, but I remember seeing part of a movie when I was really, really young that always stuck with me.

The scene looks like it takes place in the '50s and may have been black and white(but I know the movie was in colour) and it's a kid looking down from the stairs to see his parents arguing with the man. I think the father had a gun and the man ends up shooting him and stabbing the mother to death.

All of these may be skewed, but the general scene is similar to that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Superrodan posted:

I'm just going through Voight's imdb but could it be this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335185/

EDIT:
or this?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120036/

more likely to be Rosewood, probably is, thanks

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

This might be a tough one, I only saw a brief part of this movie a looooooong time ago but I just remembered about it, and want to watch it.

So:
Basically someone died and he went to a Heaven place. But there he could choose to either go back to earth or stay in heaven. The dude could watch his life on a tv screen too.

That is all I really remember sorry.. help.

Could be Defending Your Life.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

This is kind of vague, but I remember seeing part of a movie when I was really, really young that always stuck with me.

The scene looks like it takes place in the '50s and may have been black and white(but I know the movie was in colour) and it's a kid looking down from the stairs to see his parents arguing with the man. I think the father had a gun and the man ends up shooting him and stabbing the mother to death.

All of these may be skewed, but the general scene is similar to that.

I think that's a scene from Natural Born Killers. VVV yeah I think that's the scene I'm thinking of

Smeep fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 2, 2009

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

^^^Hmmmm, I don't think so, especially not if you're thinking of the Rodney Dangerfield scene. Thanks though, I fully expect to not find it, especially with my lame-rear end recognition of it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
could be Flesh and Bone

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Schweinhund posted:

could be Flesh and Bone

Just reading the synopsis, that actually may be it. I'll check it out, but holy hell thanks in advance.

Dr_Luftwaffle
Sep 17, 2007
I saw this late at night several months back- I woke up, and despite my best efforts only remained awake for about 10-15 minutes. I seem to remember it being on one of the movie channels (Encore, perhaps), but I may be mistaken.

The setting was some kind of sea-ship battle (although I vaguely recall that they were flying ships, which may or may not be the case- I was only half awake), but the scenery was dark and a little surreal- it looked a bit like a Gilliam film might. There was an old man, presumably in command of one of the ships, who latched onto a volleying cannonball and rode it to the other ship. It looked to be late 80s-early 90s, based on the quality of the film. When I remembered it the following morning, I was reminded of The Crimson Permanent Assurance, but I know that wasn't it. Also, based on the context, it seemed this battle was a small part of a very epic plot, and the old man was clearly made to look old with copious make-up, which makes me think that perhaps the movie spans a large part of his life.

Hope this is enough, thanks in advance!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Dr_Luftwaffle posted:

I saw this late at night several months back- I woke up, and despite my best efforts only remained awake for about 10-15 minutes. I seem to remember it being on one of the movie channels (Encore, perhaps), but I may be mistaken.

The setting was some kind of sea-ship battle (although I vaguely recall that they were flying ships, which may or may not be the case- I was only half awake), but the scenery was dark and a little surreal- it looked a bit like a Gilliam film might. There was an old man, presumably in command of one of the ships, who latched onto a volleying cannonball and rode it to the other ship. It looked to be late 80s-early 90s, based on the quality of the film. When I remembered it the following morning, I was reminded of The Crimson Permanent Assurance, but I know that wasn't it. Also, based on the context, it seemed this battle was a small part of a very epic plot, and the old man was clearly made to look old with copious make-up, which makes me think that perhaps the movie spans a large part of his life.

Hope this is enough, thanks in advance!

Is it The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096764/

Although it has been a while since I saw it and I don't remember the battle scene specifically, but it sounds like it could be from it.

Dr_Luftwaffle
Sep 17, 2007

jjack229 posted:

Is it The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096764/

Although it has been a while since I saw it and I don't remember the battle scene specifically, but it sounds like it could be from it.

You are correct, sir! I suppose I should have started my search with Gilliam. Thanks a ton, watching this immediately.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I remember some movie that I only heard the audio of (and maybe saw parts of) a while ago, and this is what I remember. Its something to do with the President of the USA being gay (or at least has sex with other men) and he then he gets AIDs or something.

Now I couldve mixed up the storyline/plot (with the POTUS getting AIDs/being gay) but those are some of the elements I remember. For some reason I thought Clint Eastwood was in it (I googled him and looked at his filmography and nothing clicks). One scene I remember, or at least remember the audio, is some sex scene and the top saying that the condom broke and the bottom basically telling him gently caress it and to keep going. For some reason I thought that that was the character of the POTUS, and that was Clint Eastwood. Could it be? Im not sure.

Either way, any help Id appreciate it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Artem posted:

I remember some movie that I only heard the audio of (and maybe saw parts of) a while ago, and this is what I remember. Its something to do with the President of the USA being gay (or at least has sex with other men) and he then he gets AIDs or something.

Now I couldve mixed up the storyline/plot (with the POTUS getting AIDs/being gay) but those are some of the elements I remember. For some reason I thought Clint Eastwood was in it (I googled him and looked at his filmography and nothing clicks). One scene I remember, or at least remember the audio, is some sex scene and the top saying that the condom broke and the bottom basically telling him gently caress it and to keep going. For some reason I thought that that was the character of the POTUS, and that was Clint Eastwood. Could it be? Im not sure.

Either way, any help Id appreciate it.

The gay/AIDS thing doesn't fit, but Clint Eastwood, the president, and rough sex sounds like Absolute Power.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

morestuff posted:

The gay/AIDS thing doesn't fit, but Clint Eastwood, the president, and rough sex sounds like Absolute Power.

Also, doesn't Kevin Kline's "Dave" have the President die of a heart attack because he's having sex with his mistress?

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Two different movies I'm trying to recall the titles of, that I barely remember. Both were subtitled foreign-language films released in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

In one, there was a young boy (probably like 13 years old?) who wanted to hire a prostitute. I think maybe he lived with just his dad. Somehow I think he ended up befriending an old man and presumably learning meaningful life lessons from him.

In the other, I think a woman lived with her mother in a very rural area, and they were dirt-poor. The woman had a brother who had moved to a big city. I think for some reason she went to the city to look for her brother, and found out that he was dead, and lied to her mother about it?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Propaniac posted:

Two different movies I'm trying to recall the titles of, that I barely remember. Both were subtitled foreign-language films released in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

In one, there was a young boy (probably like 13 years old?) who wanted to hire a prostitute. I think maybe he lived with just his dad. Somehow I think he ended up befriending an old man and presumably learning meaningful life lessons from him.

Possibly this one could be Milk Money?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Propaniac posted:

Could this be Malena?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213847/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Funny how many "life lessons via a prostitute" movies there are out there. Has that ever really happened to anyone?

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.
This is going to be incredibly vague as I saw it in a clip montage. There's a large sculpture of a white lion's head that possibly serves as an entryway. The mouth opens wide and a blue light beams out. That's all I got. I'm assuming it's not very obscure since the other movies in the montage were fairly recognizable.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Need some help from you western' veteran fans here.

This is about a movie I saw about 20 years ago. Western. Colour. American (DUH) I think.

I may be mistaken, but from what I remember it is about a white horse, that once belonged to an indian (native american) chief, but was taken by an US Army Cavalry officer when he kills the chief.

The movie may not be all about the horse, but I remember quite clearly the white horse that once belonged to the indian chief.

Any ideas. I tried google, imdb, personal sources, friends sources and got zilch. For a few years now...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CHOICE COD posted:

This is going to be incredibly vague as I saw it in a clip montage. There's a large sculpture of a white lion's head that possibly serves as an entryway. The mouth opens wide and a blue light beams out. That's all I got. I'm assuming it's not very obscure since the other movies in the montage were fairly recognizable.
this?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

hellvis454 posted:

Need some help from you western' veteran fans here.

This is about a movie I saw about 20 years ago. Western. Colour. American (DUH) I think.

I may be mistaken, but from what I remember it is about a white horse, that once belonged to an indian (native american) chief, but was taken by an US Army Cavalry officer when he kills the chief.

The movie may not be all about the horse, but I remember quite clearly the white horse that once belonged to the indian chief.

Any ideas. I tried google, imdb, personal sources, friends sources and got zilch. For a few years now...

Tonka?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052300/

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Propaniac posted:

In the other, I think a woman lived with her mother in a very rural area, and they were dirt-poor. The woman had a brother who had moved to a big city. I think for some reason she went to the city to look for her brother, and found out that he was dead, and lied to her mother about it?

It's called Monsieur Ibrahim.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329388/

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

fenix down posted:

this?

Yep, thank you! I've been putting that movie off for too long.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Tonka?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052300/

You almost gave me a chill as it was almost it, but the movie I am looking for is way more violent than any Disney movie to date, and I almost certain it is a much more recent flick. I am thinking 70s - 80s.

Also, the horse was definitively white.

Nice find though. Thanks 'Bro.

Hi. Im Leeroy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 5, 2009

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw a while ago. It was an old black and white picture from the 40s or maybe early 50s about Hollywood. It was about a washed-up movie producer who was trying to get back into the business and wanted the help of some of the people he had made famous to get him there. There was a director, an actress and a writer, all of whom got their big break through him but who had also been screwed over royally later on. Most of the movie is told in flashback of the three peoples' dealings with the guy and why they all hated him. In particular the writer's wife died as an indirect result of the producer's actions. Even though they all didn't like the guy he was very persuasive and had a way of getting people to do what he wanted, and the final scene was the three of them all listening in to the same phone as he gives his pitch for his new movie. I don't recall a single actor that was in it, unfortunately. Anyone know what the title is?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw a while ago. It was an old black and white picture from the 40s or maybe early 50s about Hollywood. It was about a washed-up movie producer who was trying to get back into the business and wanted the help of some of the people he had made famous to get him there. There was a director, an actress and a writer, all of whom got their big break through him but who had also been screwed over royally later on. Most of the movie is told in flashback of the three peoples' dealings with the guy and why they all hated him. In particular the writer's wife died as an indirect result of the producer's actions. Even though they all didn't like the guy he was very persuasive and had a way of getting people to do what he wanted, and the final scene was the three of them all listening in to the same phone as he gives his pitch for his new movie. I don't recall a single actor that was in it, unfortunately. Anyone know what the title is?

I"ve never seen it, but could it possibly be Sunset Boulevard?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Glass Joe posted:

I"ve never seen it, but could it possibly be Sunset Boulevard?

No, but I was able to get to it through the wiki categories at the bottom, it was The Bad and the Beautiful.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looking for a French film, relatively recent (no older than 90s I think) set in a city (probably Paris) where a group of young people including a girl and 2 guys, have some sort of scheme where the girl befriends an older man, then knocks him out while the guys come in and rob his place, at least it's something like that. The characters like the movie Scarface, there is a scene where they watch it. Sound familiar to anyone?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Sound familiar to anyone?

I cheated and went to the movie connection page for Scarface. I almost gave up since there were a billion references to it, but after scrolling a long way down, I discovered there were only a few movies that actually featured it.

L'appāt seems to fit the bill.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Erasmus Darwin posted:

I cheated and went to the movie connection page for Scarface. I almost gave up since there were a billion references to it, but after scrolling a long way down, I discovered there were only a few movies that actually featured it.

L'appāt seems to fit the bill.

Oh yeah, should've thought of checking that, yep that's the one, thanks.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Sort of random, but this quote popped in my head tonight and I can't figure out where it's from...

Two guys are talking, and one guy says he heard something "through the grapevine." The other guy says "You know, if you listen closely to that song it says only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

It's either from a movie or a tv show (Sopranos maybe?) Can anyone place it?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Movie about a drug dealer with insomnia. I think from early 90's. Has some famous actors in it.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

5436 posted:

Movie about a drug dealer with insomnia. I think from early 90's. Has some famous actors in it.

"Light Sleeper" seems to fit your criteria.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102307/

SneekieBinder
Aug 23, 2007

Foreign film - Please help!

When - 2007? Not terribly long ago
Where - Either on Sundance, The Independant Movie channel, or some other artsy-fartsy channel
What - Japanese Thriler

The main character is a girl who is either a photography or art student. She starts to go a little crazy & gets into taking pictures of morbid stuff. She checks out some book about morbid/dark photographs from the library. She starts to get these anonymous stalker-ish letters w/ photos (and a video as well I think). At the end she's in an isolated room, tied down to a chair & hooked up to some sort of killing contraption by the writer of those letters. He is decked out in S&M type bondage, has a mask over his head. He is sitting opposite of her. She kills him using the contraption he built. At the end she removes his mask and the man turns out to be the librarian that checked out her book.

Other things I remember:
* In subtitles
* Not 100% if she checked the book out at a library - the setting may have been a book store & she purchases the book. Either way, the guy who rings her up is the killer.
* She has her own darkroom where she develops said pictures.
* She has a conversation with her friend on a balcony & threatens to jump off & kill herself.
* She invites this guy who is interested in her over and does a photo shoot with him covered in blood.
* During the scene at the end, she is tried down in a chair which is rigged to some sort of contraption. If she moves a certain way she will die...I think by gunshot.

I'm not sure if the title of the movie was in Japanese (the film was in subtitles so it may be likey) but I think it was named after some sort of camera term. But my memory is fuzzy at best.

I've skimmed the thread & tried keyword searches through IMDB & nothing seemed familiar.

Edit - Found it - "Sei mong se jun."

SneekieBinder fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 9, 2009

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Hmm... well, if I can remember correctly, there's this one horror movie that I watched a few years ago on DVD at home that involved someone who kidnapped people and then broadcasted a video of them near a dangerous object (vat of acid, lawnmower) or trap over the Internet. After a certain threshold of people started watching, the person would be subjected to the trap.

I can specifically remember a group of FBI agents or something to that effect attempting to take the person down, whose motivation was that his father's suicide showed up on some shock site. Notable scenes in my mind would be the main character being trapped in her car by way of the killer hacking into it (:psyduck:) and one of the agents getting kidnapped and thrown into the aforementioned vat of acid, with torture porn levels of gore.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Circutron posted:

Hmm... well, if I can remember correctly, there's this one horror movie that I watched a few years ago on DVD at home that involved someone who kidnapped people and then broadcasted a video of them near a dangerous object (vat of acid, lawnmower) or trap over the Internet. After a certain threshold of people started watching, the person would be subjected to the trap.

I can specifically remember a group of FBI agents or something to that effect attempting to take the person down, whose motivation was that his father's suicide showed up on some shock site. Notable scenes in my mind would be the main character being trapped in her car by way of the killer hacking into it (:psyduck:) and one of the agents getting kidnapped and thrown into the aforementioned vat of acid, with torture porn levels of gore.

Sounds like Untraceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Circutron posted:

Untracable