Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

This is a 90 pages long thread, and I'm sure it's been answered before, but I'm looking for a good/cheap plan withouth phone or contract with these things:

-GSM
-No contract
-Lots of texts
-Unlimited or pretty high data
-Not a lot of minutes needed. 300/500?
-Good coverage in the Orlando, FL area.

Why do you need GSM? Do you travel overseas more than twice a year? Either way, Godzilla is right on Virgin Mobile's plan fitting your needs, $35 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited text and data (data throttled at 2-5GB, I forget when), no contract, LG Optimus at $150 Motorola Triumph at $300. It doesn't work overseas, but if I were you I would just buy a 2nd phone that is GSM and unlocked and just pop in a local SIM card whenever I traveled to Europe or wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
I couldn't find a more suitable thread to post this in, so here it goes. I don't need so much a recommendation per se, just a bit of advice maybe. First of all, I am very broke and don't really care about a data plan, I'll rely on wi-fi for internet access.

I just bought this unlocked LG Optimus One P500 phone when the deal was featured on deals.woot recently. Love it so far. I stuck the SIM card from my NET10 phone (with the $15/month Easyminutes plan) into it and it works fine for a day or two, then it loses signal and I have to stick it back in the original NET10 phone again, then take it back out put it back in the LG for it to work for another couple days.

So I just bought a SIM card and the $10 plan from this website because, as I said, I am poor. I figure if it turns out to be crap the worst I'm out is ten bucks, but if it's good then maybe later I can manage some money around and upgrade to the $39.95/month unlimited talk + text plan. Anyone know anything about this company and how worth a drat they are? Or maybe know of a better plan out there that I didn't find with my google-fu?

Edit:

Godzilla07 posted:

Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk would be great for you, but you need GSM. T-Mobile does have a month-to-month plan under "Monthly4G" which is $70/month for unlimited minutes, texts, and supposedly unlimited data which is probably 5 GB. Unfortunately you can't get this without the unlimited minutes.

I saw those "Monthly4g" plans and some of the cheaper ones looked really good for the unlimited texting, I don't really need a lot of voice time, but unlimited texts could be really useful. But the phone I bought is only 3G capable. Does that mean those plans are completely useless to me, or just that my phone would be restricted to 3G speed only if I got data?

Parkour Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 23, 2011

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I am looking to get a HTC sensation here in the UK. The best deal seems to be on 3. £30 a month. Gig Internet, 500 mins 5000 texts. Do any UK goons have any words of advice about 3? haven't been with them before. They also have a 37 pound plan. With unlimited (apparently actually unlimited) and more minutes etc, but it's probably not needed (however tempting)

On a separate issue, the girlfriend is looking for a cheap smartphone contract. 3 have a wildfire for 20 a month. Is this worth it or is it a bit out dated/better looking at a desire s or something?

Thanks for any advice, bit daunting going with a new network.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I'm about ot get my first smartphone and it looks like its come down to the HTC phones Wildfire S or the Chacha. From what I can gather they're pretty much even apart from one is touchscreen and the other is qwerty. Does this change what I can do with the phone?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

spe posted:

From what I can gather they're pretty much even apart from one is touchscreen and the other is qwerty. Does this change what I can do with the phone?
They both have touchscreens. The difference is that the ChaCha has a very small, and unusual resolution screen. So the main limitation would be in third-party app compatibility as some might not tolerate that display, plus things that are touch-centric would be hard to use on such a small screen.

Between the two I would go with the Wildfire, simply because that's the form factor that the vast majority of applications are developed for and appeal to the best. Unless you're specifically looking for a BlackBerry replacement (and I'm not sure the ChaCha necessarily fits that, despite its form factor), I'd much rather have screen real-estate than a hardware keyboard I'm not going to use much of the time.

That said, I personally wouldn't want either device, but you haven't said anything about what your desires are so, perhaps they're the right devices for you. Basically, if you're looking for something to do SMS & email, and you don't care much about apps, web browsing, or any other features, the ChaCha looks good for that and the Wildfire S will work (if you have small fingers). Similarly, if you're looking for a "starter" smartphone and anticipate upgrading sooner-than-later, then it's worth a shot.

Alternatively, if you're thinking you're going to want to get into third party apps, want to do web browsing, Facebook, and lots of things that aren't strictly typing-centric, I'm seriously consider at least the Desire S, if not Incredible S for their larger size, greater screen resolution, and faster processors. Small-screen phones are a bit hard to use, and while the bigger guys are more expensive, it might work out better for you in the long run if you can run one for two years before an upgrade.

Just some thoughts.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Roblo posted:

On a separate issue, the girlfriend is looking for a cheap smartphone contract. 3 have a wildfire for 20 a month. Is this worth it or is it a bit out dated/better looking at a desire s or something?

Thanks for any advice, bit daunting going with a new network.

I can't answer your first question, but I can answer your second. For the love of all things good and holy, get something else. The Wildfire is running about the same hardware that the G1 ran when it launched in October 2008. This is not good. Get a Desire S if you love your spouse.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Cheers. Is the Wildfire not that great for web browsing? I like the fact its a smaller phone than most of that style but I see what you mean about the arkwardness. I can't really tell you what exactly I'd use the phone for because I've never owned a smart phone before but a bit of web browsing, mp3s and the usual phone stuff is all I imagine I'll use it for. Don't really know if I'd get much use out of apps but I guess thats something I'll look at when I own it. Its going to be a telephone first and foremost so I'm not too worried about most stuff. Maybe a bit of facebook or forums or youtube from time to time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Wildfire has a small screen, which sucks for typing. For an average use case, you will eventually hate this when you're trying to text people, making typos left and right because of the small screen. The ChaCha solves the typing problem, but the tinier screen there will be worse for web browsing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

spe posted:

Is the Wildfire not that great for web browsing?
Low screen resolution and a slow processor make it less than ideal. I think there's folks in the Devices thread who already regret purchasing it due to its limitations.

Honestly a Desire S is a good starting point. Its specs are good enough that it'll last you a while, but small enough that it won't seem too large, basically an all-around good phone that will do pretty much whatever you might end up wanting to try.

It's claimed that 4.0-4.3 inches is ideal in terms of typing and such, particularly if you have big hands, so an Incredible S is worth looking at as well, but a Desire S will certainly suit you fine.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 24, 2011

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!
Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Current contract status: Up for renewal.

Budget (phone/plan): 100 dollars

Features I know I want: Unlimited Calling and Text. don't care about internet usage that much

This will be for my wife. we are currently paying 150 dollars for combined plan. However, I will be cancelling my plan as I have a company phone (sprint Samsung Epic 4G). She has a perfectly good iPhone (3G) that we don't mind continuing to use. we also realized that we do not need to be continuing with the 2GB plan as she only uses the phone to text and check facebook on there.

We are wondering if its better for her to switch over to Sprint as they have 99.99 unlimited plan. it will be a pain to get locked down again though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Helmet Jap posted:

Country/Provider: USA, AT&T

Current contract status: Up for renewal.

Budget (phone/plan): 100 dollars

Features I know I want: Unlimited Calling and Text. don't care about internet usage that much

This will be for my wife. we are currently paying 150 dollars for combined plan. However, I will be cancelling my plan as I have a company phone (sprint Samsung Epic 4G). She has a perfectly good iPhone (3G) that we don't mind continuing to use. we also realized that we do not need to be continuing with the 2GB plan as she only uses the phone to text and check facebook on there.

We are wondering if its better for her to switch over to Sprint as they have 99.99 unlimited plan. it will be a pain to get locked down again though.

If you switch to Sprint I highly doubt she needs the unlimited plan. You can either get a regular plan with a discount via work or at the very least Sprint EPRP. Basically, about $70 a month, unlimited internet, text, and calling to any mobile anytime. So she will have 450ish minutes, but since most people have cell phones it works out ok.

Not a bad time to switch either, Sprint is offering $125 to switch and get a smartphone. You will have to now deal with mail in rebates again, but I think the regular EVO is $150, $50 back in the mail, $125 credit for swithing. And you could sell the iPhone for something as well. Contracts do suck, but you would be getting a lot of incentives your way. Also, ATT ETFs start at $350, Sprint still only starts at $200.

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you switch to Sprint I highly doubt she needs the unlimited plan. You can either get a regular plan with a discount via work or at the very least Sprint EPRP. Basically, about $70 a month, unlimited internet, text, and calling to any mobile anytime. So she will have 450ish minutes, but since most people have cell phones it works out ok.

Not a bad time to switch either, Sprint is offering $125 to switch and get a smartphone. You will have to now deal with mail in rebates again, but I think the regular EVO is $150, $50 back in the mail, $125 credit for swithing. And you could sell the iPhone for something as well. Contracts do suck, but you would be getting a lot of incentives your way. Also, ATT ETFs start at $350, Sprint still only starts at $200.

that is a great point I will be looking into it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

kalibar posted:

If you wanted to gently caress with Google Voice, you could drop $15 texting and replace it with $15 for 200MB data. A lot of people do this (myself included) to great success, and you'll have enough data to look up directions/traffic, receive all the GV SMS and pushed Gmail you could want, and do a surprising amount of light browsing. Just avoid video streaming unless you're on WiFi.

I dunno. That's what I'd do, anyway.

I've used google voice in the past and currently forward everything to my phone. I just got a new job and already gave everyone my current number so I could see this as mess if I were to change numbers.

Things have somewhat changed for me however so let me try this again:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: Family Plan. I am eligible for an upgrade in about a month.

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to spend up to $100/keeping the same plan

Features I want: Physical keyboard if possible

In the last few days my iPod has started dying, on my drive to school all the roads I knew got flooded and I was stranded, and for whatever reason my dad is looking into a blackberry. With all of that in mind, I'm reconsidering getting a smart phone. I've been looking at getting a GPS for awhile and until I can get a new iPod I'd like to use my phone as one temporarily.

From my understanding, ATT offers $10 data if you have the unlimited texting for the entire family plan so that is what I would hopefully be getting as well as my father. Right now he doesn't text and I have the $15 texting plan. I was considering upgrading this in the fall. If my math is correct if I keep my current texting plan it's $45 ($15 for texting, $30 for data for two lines) and if I were to upgrade that it'd be $50. Now supposing that they offer $10 data with the unlimited texting for a family plan it's still $50.

The phones I've looked at are the HTC Inspire and the Samsung Captivate. They're around $50 if I buy them online. Does anyone have experience with these phones or have any other suggestions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

I've used google voice in the past and currently forward everything to my phone. I just got a new job and already gave everyone my current number so I could see this as mess if I were to change numbers.

Things have somewhat changed for me however so let me try this again:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: Family Plan. I am eligible for an upgrade in about a month.

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to spend up to $100/keeping the same plan

Features I want: Physical keyboard if possible

In the last few days my iPod has started dying, on my drive to school all the roads I knew got flooded and I was stranded, and for whatever reason my dad is looking into a blackberry. With all of that in mind, I'm reconsidering getting a smart phone. I've been looking at getting a GPS for awhile and until I can get a new iPod I'd like to use my phone as one temporarily.

From my understanding, ATT offers $10 data if you have the unlimited texting for the entire family plan so that is what I would hopefully be getting as well as my father. Right now he doesn't text and I have the $15 texting plan. I was considering upgrading this in the fall. If my math is correct if I keep my current texting plan it's $45 ($15 for texting, $30 for data for two lines) and if I were to upgrade that it'd be $50. Now supposing that they offer $10 data with the unlimited texting for a family plan it's still $50.

The phones I've looked at are the HTC Inspire and the Samsung Captivate. They're around $50 if I buy them online. Does anyone have experience with these phones or have any other suggestions?

Just fyi, you can port any number to GVoice fro $20.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You can't use an Inspire, a Captivate, a Nexus S, an iPhone, or basically any other desirable phone on the $10 data plan. The only way to get away with it to import something from Canada, and even then it's really dicey. It's cheaper under most circumstances if you can get away with 200MB to do that and to roll GV for text.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I should have clarified. The $10 data plan they are offering is the 200 mb plan that is usually $15. I don't plan to use the data often, directions every once and awhile and some light browsing here and there. However if you still don't think that's enough I guess I'll have to reweigh my options again.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Posting from my brand new motorola triumph. Thank you iyg

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again
I decided I was going to finally bite the bullet and get a data plan, and just as I did this, T-Mobile just put out some really cheap value plans. Unlimited Text+Data for 49.99 and money on top of that for data (going as low as $4.99 for 200 MB of unthrottled data, and unlimited after that).

The catch, of course, is that you don't get your phone subsidized. There is some sort of weird madness where you can pay a monthly fee for a phone that's specifically blocked out on your bill, though, but I don't know how that works and I usually buy my phone separately anyway.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Contract status: none. I'm willing to get into one for a good deal.

Budget: under $50 a month if possible

I don't have a phone at the moment. I'd like to get one with a keyboard, but aside from that I don't need anything fancy. I really don't need a lot of features: decent amount of daytime minutes, unlimited or cheaper text messaging...that's about it really. I'm mostly looking for recommendations for a durable, practical phone that's comfortable to use, and a good company/plan, with good call quality etc, and suitable for a student budget. Any help would be massively appreciated because I know nothing about the US market.

edit: some sort of option for decent long-distance minutes would be nice too.

Beebo
Aug 15, 2006

Shake!

Contract status: None. I am strongly considering switching to Oister, since they seem to have the most reasonable and cheap contracts.

Budget: Around 3000 DKK (400 euro) max for the phone. As for the contract I don't expect many goons to know a lot about danish providers, but in any case something appropriate for a person who doesn't have long conversations or text a lot would be nice.

Features I want: Most of all I want a phone that is responsive and comfortable to write messages with. I'm probably also going to use it to look up stuff on the internet when I'm not near a computer. Decent battery life would also be nice, though from what I hear, no smartphones really have "good" battery life, but it needs to at least last through the day. This is my first smartphone, so I am not really sure what apps I need other than mail and calendar, but I would like a phone that can run some apps reasonably well, since I like messing with fancy gadgets :shobon:. Lastly a good camera is not necessary, but a nice plus.

Right now I'm considering either the HTC DesireHD or the Nexus S, since my local electronics store is having a sale on them and I have heard good things about them from reviews. I'm open to other suggestions however.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I am also going to use it as a music player when I'm riding the bus, so it needs play music reasonably well. I am not an audiophile though, so it is not a dealbreaker.

Beebo fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 28, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beebo posted:

Right now I'm considering either the HTC DesireHD or the Nexus S, since my local electronics store is having a sale on them and I have heard good things about them from reviews. I'm open to other suggestions however.
What are your other options?

The Nexus S is great for music, it has the best sound quality of any Android device on the market today. The only downside is that the tech is slightly dated, but still reasonable, and it lacks a micro-SD slot so you're limited to 16 GB of music storage.

The Desire HD is older yet, and while it was a good device for it's time, I probably wouldn't go with it if you're looking to keep the phone for two years. The Sensation is obviously top-of-the-line for HTC, but the Desire S or Incredible S are good "in between" options as well. The other problem with the Desire HD is that it has a pathetically small battery (1230 mAh) especially relative to its screen size.

Between the two, I'd go with the Nexus S.

Beebo
Aug 15, 2006

Shake!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What are your other options?

The Nexus S is great for music, it has the best sound quality of any Android device on the market today. The only downside is that the tech is slightly dated, but still reasonable, and it lacks a micro-SD slot so you're limited to 16 GB of music storage.

The Desire HD is older yet, and while it was a good device for it's time, I probably wouldn't go with it if you're looking to keep the phone for two years. The Sensation is obviously top-of-the-line for HTC, but the Desire S or Incredible S are good "in between" options as well. The other problem with the Desire HD is that it has a pathetically small battery (1230 mAh) especially relative to its screen size.

Between the two, I'd go with the Nexus S.

The incredible s and desire s are also an option for me. They cost nearly the same as the desirehd and a bit more than the nexus. After reading some more reviews I'm thinking the incredible s might be the best option, since I'm worried that the desire s might be to small when writing messages and stuff like that.

Edit: I am going to get the Incredible s, since it seems like a solid phone. Thanks for the advice ExcessBLarg!.

Beebo fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 29, 2011

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Current Plan: Family Plan

Contract status: None

Budget: 50-70 a month

Features: Basic Smartphone, durable, rugged, long battery life. More emphasis on utility than entertainment.

Comments: I've been using crappy clamshell phones and I can't hold out any longer. Besides calling, I will mainly use for gmail, googling when I need info, GPS.

Questions: I pay for my parents Family Line on Sprint and would keep that account alive. I would like to migrate my Sprint phone number to a new service though.

Current Idea: I was thinking of getting the T-Mobile $50 a month, no contract, basic data package and buying a $100 refurb LG Optimus T from T-Mobiles website.

Concerns: T-Mobile seems really inexpensive compared to Sprint's data plans, is there something bad I should know about T-Mobile? I have literally had this Sprint as my carrier since 1998 and am very attached to my phone number.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 29, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CatchrNdRy posted:

Concerns: T-Mobile seems really inexpensive compared to Sprint's data plans, is there something bad I should know about T-Mobile?
The main issue would be if T-Mobile has inferior coverage in your area, it's worth checking out coverage maps. Also, T-Mobile's base data plan doesn't offer much data (200 MB) before the throttle kicks in. It's fine if you have WiFi at home and work though.

But since you're happy with Sprint service, consider Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk. $35/mo nets you 300 voice minutes (total, no free hours) and unlimited text & data, and $45/mo nets the same with 1200 voice minutes. You can get the LG Optimus V for $150, which is basically the same as the Optimus T. The Motorola Triumph though is a good upgrade for the $300 it costs, and worth considering if you can afford it.

Keep in mind that Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint's network, so it would be the same coverage as you have now. The only downside is that there's no roaming.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I have literally had this Sprint as my carrier since 1998 and am very attached to my phone number.
You know you can port your number to other carriers whenever you want right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CatchrNdRy posted:

Current Plan: Family Plan

Contract status: None

Budget: 50-70 a month

Features: Basic Smartphone, durable, rugged, long battery life. More emphasis on utility than entertainment.

Comments: I've been using crappy clamshell phones and I can't hold out any longer. Besides calling, I will mainly use for gmail, googling when I need info, GPS.

Questions: I pay for my parents Family Line on Sprint and would keep that account alive. I would like to migrate my Sprint phone number to a new service though.

Current Idea: I was thinking of getting the T-Mobile $50 a month, no contract, basic data package and buying a $100 refurb LG Optimus T from T-Mobiles website.

Concerns: T-Mobile seems really inexpensive compared to Sprint's data plans, is there something bad I should know about T-Mobile? I have literally had this Sprint as my carrier since 1998 and am very attached to my phone number.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even the $50 plan you have to sign a contract for now on TMobile? They basically got rid of Even More Plus, and in its place is the same thing, but with contract.

Depends on your usage. If you aren't a heavy data user (and you don't seem to be) then TMobile is cheap from what I can tell. Assuming coverage is the same then go with the cheaper one. Phone wise I would recommend the Sensation on TMo or the 3D on Sprint.

The biggest thing I would mention is factoring in how long you have been on Sprint. That type of thing honestly does get you benefits every once and a while, so it would suck to lose 10+ years with a service. However, you are keeping your parents with Sprint, which basically makes it a win win for you: you keep the Sprint 10+ year loyalty crap, and you try out TMobile. If TMobile sucks sell your phone, leave for Sprint and retain your 10+ years. Sound smart?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even the $50 plan you have to sign a contract for now on TMobile? They basically got rid of Even More Plus, and in its place is the same thing, but with contract.
Pretty much. The greater number of data buckets means low end users have pretty cheap options, but the old EM+ 500 minutes w/unlimited text & 5 GB data for $60/mo is now a $65/mo two-year contract value offering.

That said, T-Mobile offers contract-less Monthly4G plans, but they're more expensive than the old EM+ data offering. I don't get the "unlimited everything" for $70/mo part though. The unlimited voice & text with 5 GB value plan is $75/mo. Is it 2 GB throttled?

drat, T-Mo's plans got confusing. If they dropped EM+ because it was too confusing, I don't know if this will stick around long.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

drat, T-Mo's plans got confusing. If they dropped EM+ because it was too confusing, I don't know if this will stick around long.

The only explanation is that T-Mobile's trying to do their part to make the merger go through by making sure that no one signs up for their service because of the confusing as hell plans.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The main issue would be if T-Mobile has inferior coverage in your area, it's worth checking out coverage maps. Also, T-Mobile's base data plan doesn't offer much data (200 MB) before the throttle kicks in. It's fine if you have WiFi at home and work though.

But since you're happy with Sprint service, consider Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk. $35/mo nets you 300 voice minutes (total, no free hours) and unlimited text & data, and $45/mo nets the same with 1200 voice minutes. You can get the LG Optimus V for $150, which is basically the same as the Optimus T. The Motorola Triumph though is a good upgrade for the $300 it costs, and worth considering if you can afford it.

Keep in mind that Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint's network, so it would be the same coverage as you have now. The only downside is that there's no roaming.

You know you can port your number to other carriers whenever you want right?

I will definitely check out Virgin Mobile, it seems like a good deal.
So it appears that Virgin Mobile is using Sprint's infrastructure. There is the inherent prejudice that no-contract providers are somehow inferior.

Duckman2008 posted:

The biggest thing I would mention is factoring in how long you have been on Sprint. That type of thing honestly does get you benefits every once and a while, so it would suck to lose 10+ years with a service. However, you are keeping your parents with Sprint, which basically makes it a win win for you: you keep the Sprint 10+ year loyalty crap, and you try out TMobile. If TMobile sucks sell your phone, leave for Sprint and retain your 10+ years. Sound smart?

What could I parlay the 10+ years into? Do I just sort of drop that while talking in the Sprint store or whatever? Its a good idea to test the waters out, so I'm definitely keeping my folks on Sprint. Maybe I could get some reduction in rate there.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by their plans and subplans.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 29, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CatchrNdRy posted:

I will definitely check out Virgin Mobile, it seems like a good deal.
So it appears that Virgin Mobile is using Sprint's infrastructure. There is the inherent prejudice that no-contract providers are somehow inferior.

What could I parlay the 10+ years into? Do I just sort of drop that while talking in the Sprint store or whatever? Its a good idea to test the waters out, so I'm definitely keeping my folks on Sprint. Maybe I could get some reduction in rate there.

Check the Sprint OP, I have a number for retentions there. If you have been on Sprint for 10+ years, it is worth calling them and seeing what they will offer.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Duckman2008 posted:

Check the Sprint OP, I have a number for retentions there. If you have been on Sprint for 10+ years, it is worth calling them and seeing what they will offer.

Thanks much for your help, you and everyone I appreciate it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Country/Provider: US, none

Current contract status: none

Features I know I want: Mobile hotspot. No phone or voice plan. Being able to track my bandwidth usage would also be handy.

Budget (phone/plan): Open to spending a couple hundred on the device up front as long as the plan is reasonable ($60/mo at the outside; can't forsee needing more than 5 gigs of data)

I know approximately nothing about the devices that exist and what companies are/are not utter dicks nowadays, as I haven't had a cell phone since 2008 or so.

Javid fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 31, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Country/Provider: US, none

Current contract status: none

Features I know I want: Mobile hotspot. No phone or voice plan. Being able to track my bandwidth usage would also be handy.

Budget (phone/plan): Open to spending a couple hundred on the device up front as long as the plan is reasonable ($60/mo at the outside; can't forsee needing more than 5 gigs of data)

I know approximately nothing about the devices that exist and what companies are/are not utter dicks nowadays, as I haven't had a cell phone since 2008 or so.

Need to know where you live and what usage.
Sprint: $45 a month, 3GB 3G cap, unlimited 4G. $35 a month if you have a Sprint phone data plan as well.

Verizon: $50 a month, 5GB cap, $10 per GB if you go over

TMobile: $40 last I checked, unlimited but after 5GB you get throttled. Double check the pricing please.

Basically, it depends on what you are using it for, where you are going and where you live. If best coverage is your goal, Verizon has a lot of coverage. If heavy usage is your goal, Sprint is unlimited is best. If you want speed, it depends on if Verizon or Sprint have 4G in your area. Price TMobile is probably best. Verizon so far has fantastic speeds on 4G, and much better building penetration than Sprint, so unless you are doing killer usage Verizon is probably your best bet. Oh, and all of them have hotspots.

Edit: Virgin Mobile is also worth mentioning if you are looking for no-contract/prepaid: $45 a month, throttling after 5GB of usage, 3G only, uses Sprint towers.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 31, 2011

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Thanks for that. All else being equal, no contract is the winner; Virgin Mobile it is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Thanks for that. All else being equal, no contract is the winner; Virgin Mobile it is.

Cool, just remember 3G speeds are decent, but 4G is very much faster (especially VZ). You'll be fine overall, video streaming will stutter a bit.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Just looking for ideas, I'm a bit behind on the mobile technology front... Wanting to get something from Amazon or similar while the exchange rate is good. Don't need to know about plans, just the phone.

Country/Provider: New Zealand (currently with Telecom, will probably switch to 2degrees. Already have a sim card ready to go. GSM?)

Current contract status: Prepaid

Budget (phone): Max US$250 but would prefer cheaper.

Features I know I want: Android! must be able to buy it unlocked. I'll use it mainly for text messaging and game apps and web browsing. Don't want one of those giant iPad sized things, just regular phone size.

Something that doubles as an ok mp3 player and/or ebook reader could be nice, but not necessary.

Thanks.

Hoplosternum fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 1, 2011

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Low screen resolution and a slow processor make it less than ideal. I think there's folks in the Devices thread who already regret purchasing it due to its limitations.

Honestly a Desire S is a good starting point. Its specs are good enough that it'll last you a while, but small enough that it won't seem too large, basically an all-around good phone that will do pretty much whatever you might end up wanting to try.

It's claimed that 4.0-4.3 inches is ideal in terms of typing and such, particularly if you have big hands, so an Incredible S is worth looking at as well, but a Desire S will certainly suit you fine.

The Desire S costs either a few hundred or at least an extra £10 a month, for the same calls/texts/data I'm getting on the wildfire, it would cost an insane amount more (its a special deal with my cable supplier, free handset, 500 min, 500 texts, 1gb per month for £15). For something that will be mostly used for 2 or 3 texts or calls per day I don't know if spending that extra money will be justifiable.

e: I've just got a new desktop pc and I think my fickle fascination with shiny technology things still hasn't been funny sated. It's making me want to spend more on a telephone than what I really need. For every frugal post like this one, theres a part of me screaming to spend an inordinate amount of money on something as flashy and pointless as it is expensive

spe fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 1, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hoplosternum posted:

Wanting to get something from Amazon or similar while the exchange rate is good.
Where are you looking to purchase from?

The only phone sold in the US unlocked is the Google Nexus S. Every other Android device is carrier branded (GSM ones are AT&T and T-Mobile typically) and sell locked. Although, depending on the model, you can usually unlock it for free with some hackery. That said, the Nexus S is a great device, but the hardware is a slight bit dated.

If you're looking to import from the UK or Europe, the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S II are the two top-dogs, but they may well be out of your price range. The HTC Desire S and Incredible S are also worth looking at.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

spe posted:

The Desire S costs either a few hundred or at least an extra £10 a month, for the same calls/texts/data I'm getting on the wildfire, it would cost an insane amount more (its a special deal with my cable supplier, free handset, 500 min, 500 texts, 1gb per month for £15).
I see. That certainly has an influence on the decision, it's much easier to say "forget the Wildfire" if the only difference was device price.

Do they do IMEI tracking, or is there any reason you couldn't upgrade to a better phone at a latter date and keep that same plan? My concern with the Wildfire is that you might find it inadequate and want to upgrade sooner-than-later. But if getting the Wildfire nabs you a good service deal, and you can just upgrade the device later if you want to, that's probably the best way to go.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Where are you looking to purchase from?

The only phone sold in the US unlocked is the Google Nexus S. Every other Android device is carrier branded (GSM ones are AT&T and T-Mobile typically) and sell locked. Although, depending on the model, you can usually unlock it for free with some hackery. That said, the Nexus S is a great device, but the hardware is a slight bit dated.

If you're looking to import from the UK or Europe, the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S II are the two top-dogs, but they may well be out of your price range. The HTC Desire S and Incredible S are also worth looking at.

Oh, I did some Amazon.com searches for "android unlocked" and it came up with heaps of phones, hence me being overwhelmed on what to choose... Was looking to buy in US$ since it's so low atm. Suppose it doesn't matter if I'm paying $US but the phones actually coming from Europe.
The main Android phones available here, apparently we can't update as new versions as Android come out. ie Samgsung have their own software overtop, so it's stuck on Android 1.something, which is why I want something from elsewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hoplosternum posted:

The main Android phones available here, apparently we can't update as new versions as Android come out. ie Samgsung have their own software overtop, so it's stuck on Android 1.something, which is why I want something from elsewhere!
That's a problem with any non-Google manufactured device. HTC, LG, Motorola, and Samsung all make device-specific modifications to Android (beyond a custom UI), so it takes a while for new versions of Android to get pushed. Some manufacturers/devices are worse than others. Typically though phones that are customized for a particular market, usually due to different radio requirements, take longer to get updates than UK/European/International ones.

If your priority is updates, the Nexus S can't be beat. Note there's two models. They support the same GSM bands, but different 3G (UMTS) ones. The i9020T supports 900/1700/2100 bands, while the i9020A supports 850/1900/2100. I think 2100 is the main UMTS band used by NZ carriers so it shouldn't matter too much. But Telecom NZ also uses 850 while Vodafone NZ uses 900. At least, according to this. Also, the i9020A has better overall North America 3G coverage, especially Canada, if you're thinking of traveling.