Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

jemsy posted:

Ahh same day! Congratulations!

Thank you. Happy for you as well! :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Spiffster posted:

So...

We had a good morning

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys :3

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I've started tracking basal body temperature to track ovulation. I work overnights 7 days on, 7 days off. On my on week I sleep during the day then on my off week change sleep schedules to normal sleep during nights. Would it be better to track basal body temperature right when I wake up no matter what time or track temperature at the same time everyday?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I would go for immediately upon wake-up and see how that charts for the month. I think that will probably be more accurate than trying to aim for the same time everyday after a minimum of 3 hours of consecutive sleep before temping.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So we're nearly 5 months of trying. I'm not worried really because my cycles are still messed up. When did y'all find they started to normalize if ever? Should I give it a good 6 months of just trying because starting to do temperatures and checking out my mucus?? I don't want to overthink it just yet.

Edit: and I see someone asked about when to track temps when you work nights! I was wondering too, I switch between night shift and day shift every 8 weeks so my body doesn't know wtf.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Miranda posted:

So we're nearly 5 months of trying. I'm not worried really because my cycles are still messed up. When did y'all find they started to normalize if ever? Should I give it a good 6 months of just trying because starting to do temperatures and checking out my mucus?? I don't want to overthink it just yet.

Edit: and I see someone asked about when to track temps when you work nights! I was wondering too, I switch between night shift and day shift every 8 weeks so my body doesn't know wtf.

You can always start by taking an oral temperature. I know it's not as accurate but my wife and a number of our friends just did that because they didn't feel like doing all the gross mucus stuff and that worked out for them. Might not be enough of a temperature change but it might work for you. Also, the OP has some links to cheap ovulation tests, especially the strip ones. They're cheap enough that you could probably just test all the time to figure out the right window.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Miranda posted:

I'm at ten months now and my cycles are still irregular, and now I'm worried. The thing is, I'd used birth control for so long that I can't remember if I naturally had an irregular cycle from when I was younger. I've been getting the fertile cervical mucus in all the cycles, so I assume I'm ovulating (can you get it without ovulating? My google-search results have been all over the place about that) but I'm sad that I may have to accept I don't have a regular period.

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
The thing that went "parp" went "parp".
I think the most important thing is to track your temps (orally seems fine from what I've read unless you're significantly overweight) and your period start dates. I was able to show my ob/gyn that my average cycles were 50 days and I often didn't have a temp spike and that was enough for them to run blood tests. I think the temp change is the main sign that you actually ovulated, but even that isn't guaranteed. I have to get a blood test to confirm that the letrozole worked.

I actually had an LH spike on day 17 which is huge already. Haven't seen a temp change yet, though and it's been three days. This is just a dry run since we won't be able to start IUI until July probably.

Has anyone else heard of depo-provera causing PCOS? My mom's friend said that her doctor said that's what caused her excess testosterone and some googling lead to people discussing it on forums but nothing legit looking. I was on it for a few years starting when I was 18. My cycles weren't super regular before then, but it wasn't as bad as it is now.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Dori posted:

The check up is also useful in itself I guess, for me they checked all my vaccinations are up to date, that my smear tests are up to date and some basic blood work to make sure I wasn't sure of anything.

This is such a great tip - I didn't have a check up before we started trying (we got pregnant right away, around the same age as you, teacup, to give you some happy anecdata), and I didn't find out until my first pregnancy check up that I needed a rubella booster. Unfortunately you can't have those while pregnant, and rubella is one of those diseases that isn't a big deal for you, but can have devastating consequenses for the fetus if the mother gets sick, so it was a particularly crappy immunity to lack.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
What kind of stuff do y'all "avoid" while trying to conceive? I've read alcohol which is fine. My husband said he read caffeine but I'm going to have a hard enough time weaning off Diet Coke and fountain "crack" Coke as it is. I really need to though...I think my OB said NSAIDs can affect ovulation but I could be making that up. Anyone got anything?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Miranda posted:

What kind of stuff do y'all "avoid" while trying to conceive? I've read alcohol which is fine. My husband said he read caffeine but I'm going to have a hard enough time weaning off Diet Coke and fountain "crack" Coke as it is. I really need to though...I think my OB said NSAIDs can affect ovulation but I could be making that up. Anyone got anything?

I'm cutting down considerably on caffeine...though working overnights, coffee is my lifeblood. I'm down to only 2 cups per shift...so yay me. Alcohol I've all but quit that. I haven't heard about NSAIDs being bad for ovulation, but definitely not great during pregnancy, so I cut that out. I started taking fish oil and prenatal vitamins.

Maybe I"m whiny, but this whole thing is more stressful than I thought it would be, which probably isn't helping anything.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Ms. Happiness posted:

I'm cutting down considerably on caffeine...though working overnights, coffee is my lifeblood. I'm down to only 2 cups per shift...so yay me. Alcohol I've all but quit that. I haven't heard about NSAIDs being bad for ovulation, but definitely not great during pregnancy, so I cut that out. I started taking fish oil and prenatal vitamins.

Maybe I"m whiny, but this whole thing is more stressful than I thought it would be, which probably isn't helping anything.

I hear you on working nights and needing caffeine!!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Miranda posted:

I cut down to about 200mg of caffeine and then it was easier to cut back a little more when I had to. I also didn't drink green tea because it apparently messes with folic acid absorption. Also avoid all food right now because it's all filled with listeria all the time.

Also, PSA to anyone trying, if I could do it over again I may have tried to get off my Category B anxiety medicine before conceiving. After like, a year and a half of trying it seems like a really long time to possibly not be on medication for no reason, but now I'm dealing with that withdrawal as I wean off and first trimester blech and I don't recommend it. This may be less important for medications that don't have awful withdrawal symptoms, but yeah this is not great.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

defectivemonkey posted:

I cut down to about 200mg of caffeine and then it was easier to cut back a little more when I had to. I also didn't drink green tea because it apparently messes with folic acid absorption. Also avoid all food right now because it's all filled with listeria all the time.

Also, PSA to anyone trying, if I could do it over again I may have tried to get off my Category B anxiety medicine before conceiving. After like, a year and a half of trying it seems like a really long time to possibly not be on medication for no reason, but now I'm dealing with that withdrawal as I wean off and first trimester blech and I don't recommend it. This may be less important for medications that don't have awful withdrawal symptoms, but yeah this is not great.

I had a long chat with my physician about getting off antidepressants and doing some serious Cognitive Behavioral Therapy because I was really scared about possible harm to future baby. I can definitely tell a difference with moods, but therapy has really helped me recognize when I'm having depressive symptoms. I'm really scared about post partum depression, but...I guess I feel I have the tools to handle it.

Edit: I'm definitely not advocating for everybody to just drop psych meds for pregnancy. Have to weight out pros and cons.

Ms. Happiness fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 14, 2016

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ms. Happiness posted:

I had a long chat with my physician about getting off antidepressants and doing some serious Cognitive Behavioral Therapy because I was really scared about possible harm to future baby. I can definitely tell a difference with moods, but therapy has really helped me recognize when I'm having depressive symptoms. I'm really scared about post partum depression, but...I guess I feel I have the tools to handle it.

Edit: I'm definitely not advocating for everybody to just drop psych meds for pregnancy. Have to weight out pros and cons.

Yeah, I hadn't planned to get off of mine but I got a new OB and a new psychiatrist and they both pushed for it. I started going to therapy a few months ago as a prophylactic so it hasn't been bad mentally, just physically.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I've been on an ssri for 15 years. Each time I've tried to come off I've ended back in a Psych hospital. It doesn't work well. But even though I'm in an entirely better and different place now, the benefits outweigh the risks for me. I've talked to my psyc and he agrees and I think my ob knows I know the deal (I'm a NICU nurse).

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Miranda posted:

I've been trying to cut down significantly and then cut out fried food of any sort. I'll be cutting off caffeine too. I do enjoy a decaf iced mocha in the summer on especially hot days though.
I already work out white a bit and it's been good motivation for when I don't want to. I'll be chugging along in my run and want to take a shortcut home but my mantra is now "it's for the baby".
IUD comes out in a week. Getting a little nervous. I hope everything okay..my mom had to have an ovary removed due to a huge cyst when she was early 20s but her and my sister have proved to be pretty fertile sooo

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
I gave up on not drinking around month 4 of not even ovulating. I just doesn't seem worth it. I'll probably give up alcohol and most caffeine when we start treatments. I can't go cold turkey on caffeine though, I get awful migraines.

The letrozole worked perfectly and I definitely ovulated. Hopefully that means I can avoid all the crazy injections if we can do IUI.

In other not so great news, I had an HSG today, which was not as bad as I expected. My tubes all look good but I apparently have a misshapen uterus (arcuate or septate but the report wasn't clear which). So that could affect my chances of carrying to term if we ever manage to get that far. I guess it's fixable if it is a big problem, but it's just one more thing to worry about.

I have a break from tests until our appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist next month so I can't get anymore bad news for a while at least.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Rocket Wizard posted:

I gave up on not drinking around month 4 of not even ovulating. I just doesn't seem worth it. I'll probably give up alcohol and most caffeine when we start treatments. I can't go cold turkey on caffeine though, I get awful migraines.

The letrozole worked perfectly and I definitely ovulated. Hopefully that means I can avoid all the crazy injections if we can do IUI.

In other not so great news, I had an HSG today, which was not as bad as I expected. My tubes all look good but I apparently have a misshapen uterus (arcuate or septate but the report wasn't clear which). So that could affect my chances of carrying to term if we ever manage to get that far. I guess it's fixable if it is a big problem, but it's just one more thing to worry about.

I have a break from tests until our appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist next month so I can't get anymore bad news for a while at least.

I'd recommend cutting down caffeine so you're a cup or two above the limit so when you do get pregnant you don't have withdrawal on top of first trimester. This is a continuation of my "oh god why did I wait until I was pregnant to go through my medication withdrawal" regret train.

BUT! I was going to say that caffeine can affect your fertility because I read that about a billion times over the past year and a half but guess what! There doesn't seem to be that much evidence for it!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Rocket Wizard posted:

I weaned myself off caffeine mostly because I was outraged that I had inadvertently become addicted and went through withdrawl headaches as well. I tried going cold turkey and was crawling up the walls within a day. Over time I realised my main addiction was actually just having a hot drink in my hand while working. What worked for me was swapping normal tea with peppermint tea, which I initially didn't even like. Give a non caffeinated tea a whirl and see if it helps. You could start slow and replace one cup a day to avoid the headaches.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 24, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I love coffee but it's definitely a migraine trigger for me, even decaf if I drink it a few days consecutively.
I went off the pill last month, iud out on Monday. I had started taking the pill on top of my iud on my gynos recommendation because I was super unbalanced hormone wise but I feel so bloated since being off the pill. I'm not even sure what it'll be like being off any kind of BC because I've been on the pill since I was 16 and then went on the iud a year and some change ago, then iud/pill combo for three months.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

My period got a lot heavier and crampier after going off BC so that wasn't fun. My cycle became irregular for the first time, too. On the plus side, my libido returned full force so that was a nice surprise.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Uhhhh guys I got a positive. But I'm a NICU nurse so I'm convinced it's a false positive or it's not going to stick. I had a whole fun way of telling my husband but we're in another country damnit. I don't know what to think. It's some pretty drat strong lines.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Miranda posted:

Uhhhh guys I got a positive. But I'm a NICU nurse so I'm convinced it's a false positive or it's not going to stick. I had a whole fun way of telling my husband but we're in another country damnit. I don't know what to think. It's some pretty drat strong lines.

A hearty but guarded congratulations!! I had a really hard time enjoying my first trimester because I was convinced I would have another miscarriage and now that I'm breathing easier I wish I could have put that out of my mind for a second. But also there's no way to convince yourself to just calm down and get excited.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

defectivemonkey posted:

A hearty but guarded congratulations!! I had a really hard time enjoying my first trimester because I was convinced I would have another miscarriage and now that I'm breathing easier I wish I could have put that out of my mind for a second. But also there's no way to convince yourself to just calm down and get excited.
Thanks!!
My husband is going to make me stop drinking Diet Coke now damnit.
I'm cramping some too so I don't know what to think but I'll have plenty of time on the 16 HR plane trip I have coming up!

Miranda fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 31, 2016

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Miranda posted:

Congrats! Good luck with everything. Are you gonna wait to tell your husband in person?

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Ms. Happiness posted:

Congrats! Good luck with everything. Are you gonna wait to tell your husband in person?

We're together but in another country. I had this cute thing I was going to do to tell him but it's back home. So he just got handed a pee stick. But it doesn't feel real. I can't trust it I need a good blood test!

Edit: I picked up 3 more tests at the airport and will do them as we go through the next 26 hours of traveling yay! 2 positive now

Miranda fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 1, 2016

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Miranda posted:

We're together but in another country. I had this cute thing I was going to do to tell him but it's back home. So he just got handed a pee stick. But it doesn't feel real. I can't trust it I need a good blood test!

Edit: I picked up 3 more tests at the airport and will do them as we go through the next 26 hours of traveling yay! 2 positive now

Congrats!! A positive is positive! Stop worrying, enjoy it❤️

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I stopped drinking pop entirely and have fixed up my diet in prep. I'm hoping it won't take too long, my mom and sister didn't seem to have any issues having kids so here's hoping I'm not the odd one out.
I did read not to increase my exercise, I think on the women's health website. Is that true? I was hoping to actually up my weight lifting game. should I be taking it easy on cardio too? I already do cardio and weights most days of the week.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Toriori posted:

I stopped drinking pop entirely and have fixed up my diet in prep. I'm hoping it won't take too long, my mom and sister didn't seem to have any issues having kids so here's hoping I'm not the odd one out.
I did read not to increase my exercise, I think on the women's health website. Is that true? I was hoping to actually up my weight lifting game. should I be taking it easy on cardio too? I already do cardio and weights most days of the week.

Don't increase your exercise to the point where you gently caress up your cycle (you won't) and you'll be fine.

Also be careful about comparing yourself to female family members. My sister gets pregnant when someone looks at her the wrong way. I, apparently, don't. On the other hand, she spends her entire pregnancy nauseated and puking and I, luckily, don't.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

defectivemonkey posted:

Don't increase your exercise to the point where you gently caress up your cycle (you won't) and you'll be fine.

Also be careful about comparing yourself to female family members. My sister gets pregnant when someone looks at her the wrong way. I, apparently, don't. On the other hand, she spends her entire pregnancy nauseated and puking and I, luckily, don't.

Yeah, I keep reminding myself of that. It's idealistic but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I was a little bummed that I had been out of town for work during the ovulation window but it is what it is. I did take the threads advice and bought some ovulation and pregnancy tests on Amazon.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I posted this in the pregnancy thread then forgot this one, so forgive the double post!

So we've just started officially trying. Crossing fingers! I'm the husband so while my work throughout the whole thing isn't as much as my better half's, I'm still kind of terrified at this whole thing while still being very excited. I realise that since we literally don't know how long it'll take to conceive or anything that I may be jumping the gun but I was just wondering if there were any good books, resources, apps, websites, whatever specifically for the father. Specifically about making sure I'm understanding everything as much as possible for her. She's from a medical background anyway and often won't let me know if anything is up so I want to make sure I'm super pro-active and be as supportive as I can.

ALSO clearly the most important thing is baby names. As I'm a hideous dork I'm looking at every and all database website I can find. They all seem the same / horrible. Is there any system/app/website that people have found that they loved? Mainly I'm just a geek looking for nifty geek ways to look at this.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

teacup posted:

So we've just started officially trying.

Congrats and good luck, you'll rock it! If there are any bumps in the road don't sweat it too much. Try to enjoy the ride and enjoy the time with your SO.

Quick update on me and the wifey! It took us the better part of 4-5 years to get there but we finally did, and now 16 weeks in everything is still looking great! In a little less than a month we're going to find out if it's a boy or a girl!! Things are moving so quickly and it's so exciting. I'm going to be a first time Dad at 32 and cannot wait to get started.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Question: are there any forums/online communities that are for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive and also the community is not completely batshit insane?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Tyson Tomko posted:

Congrats and good luck, you'll rock it! If there are any bumps in the road don't sweat it too much. Try to enjoy the ride and enjoy the time with your SO.

Quick update on me and the wifey! It took us the better part of 4-5 years to get there but we finally did, and now 16 weeks in everything is still looking great! In a little less than a month we're going to find out if it's a boy or a girl!! Things are moving so quickly and it's so exciting. I'm going to be a first time Dad at 32 and cannot wait to get started.

Can vouch. We started a little after. Be patient. My wife and I are due Dec 31st after over 4 years. It will happen it just takes a while sometimes.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toriori posted:

Question: are there any forums/online communities that are for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive and also the community is not completely batshit insane?

Short answer: No.

The Bump is still crazy and kind of bitchy, but I think the spelling and grammar are consistently better than a lot of other boards so there's that. They also shut down a lot of the symptom spotting/pregnancy test posting stuff that gets super old. (On a more somber note, their miscarriage board is actually very supportive and sane and I found it really helpful after I had mine. Hopefully nobody here has to use it, but I'd recommend that part of the community.)

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

BadSamaritan posted:

Short answer: No.

The Bump is still crazy and kind of bitchy, but I think the spelling and grammar are consistently better than a lot of other boards so there's that. They also shut down a lot of the symptom spotting/pregnancy test posting stuff that gets super old. (On a more somber note, their miscarriage board is actually very supportive and sane and I found it really helpful after I had mine. Hopefully nobody here has to use it, but I'd recommend that part of the community.)

I signed up for The Bump but after a cursory look it doesnt make me want to really post or be there. The symptom spotting and pregnancy testing is still pretty nuts evidently. I saw many discussions of "my period is due in five days but I'm a little bloated and cranky today--pregnant???"
which yeah I get because I've only just started trying and it was my first thought when I was a little nauseous during my workout this morning but Im pretty aware it's not bloody likely yet.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Toriori posted:

I signed up for The Bump but after a cursory look it doesnt make me want to really post or be there. The symptom spotting and pregnancy testing is still pretty nuts evidently. I saw many discussions of "my period is due in five days but I'm a little bloated and cranky today--pregnant???"
which yeah I get because I've only just started trying and it was my first thought when I was a little nauseous during my workout this morning but Im pretty aware it's not bloody likely yet.

That's a pretty universal thing and I found it extremely helpful to completely avoid it. Spend your time with books and other, non-pregnancy-related activities. I find that discussion boards that are obsessing over symptoms and signs and hopes and fears make me extremely anxious.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
There's an "Actively Trying: The Next Level" group on Babycenter, where you get banned for symptom spotting. You need to be monitoring your cycle with temperatures or OPKs to post. I've found it helpful with my miscarriage and my IUIs, there is no "baby dust" bullshit there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
We had our initial appointment at the fertility clinic and it was mostly disappointing. They basically said with my husband's numbers there's really no point in trying IUI. I'm completely terrified of everything about IVF, but they said unless he can get above 5 million motile sperm there's no chance. This is not super likely since his initial test was under 1 million.

Anyone have any miracle suggestions for improving count/motility? I bought those Fertilaid vitamins and everyone at work is suggesting acupuncture (for me, but I read that it can help guys, too).

I really don't want to have to give myself injections multiple times a times a day for 4 weeks straight. Possibly multiple months in a row.

• Locked thread