Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

boo_radley posted:

Who cancels a festival by text message?

Unprofessional people who have never organised an event beyond a club night in their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Eagerly awaiting Dashcon: Goth Edition

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

On a sidenote it looks like Combichrist will be having pre-show VIP Pizza Parties with their fans. As much as I dislike Combichrist I can't hate the idea of a pizza party with them :3:

also that pizza-textured band name at the top :haw:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
KMFDM is doing a thing, again!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha next you're going to tell me Project Pitchfork has another al...oh

http://www.stormingthebase.com/project-pitchfork-blood-2cd-book/

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Alt-Fest posted:

We at Alt-Fest HQ would like to sincerely apologise for our silence over the last 24 hours. Currently we are working all hours to deal with some extremely challenging & stressful issues for Alt-Fest. We will be able to provide an official statement with full information before Monday and answer any questions you may have at that time. We want you to know that we have been doing everything we can to take the right steps for you: our fans, friends & customers - we assure you we only have your best interests at heart.

That will certainly reassure people who spent possibly hundreds of pounds on a festival from which some of the headliners have pulled out and is meant to be happening in a couple of weeks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thank you guys for mentioning the Skinny Puppy/VNV/Haujobb show a while back. They announced a Denver show and I got tickets. Hot drat.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Haha next you're going to tell me Project Pitchfork has another al...oh

http://www.stormingthebase.com/project-pitchfork-blood-2cd-book/

You are such a bad obsessed fan, I posted about this a full month ago. They actually played a new song at Amphi last weekend and it was excellent.

Also Klangstabil is really really good and I guess y'all should listen to that poo poo.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 31, 2014

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

deong posted:

Thank you guys for mentioning the Skinny Puppy/VNV/Haujobb show a while back. They announced a Denver show and I got tickets. Hot drat.

I'm so terribly sad they're not coming to Texas. :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

You are such a bad obsessed fan, I posted about this a full month ago. They actually played a new song at Amphi last weekend and it was excellent.

Also Klangstabil is really really good and I guess y'all should listen to that poo poo.
But you can actually pay money for it now ... and wait a few months.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Found on Facebook:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
According to facebook 3teeth are playing the next resistanz!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Puntification posted:

According to facebook 3teeth are playing the next resistanz!

gently caress YES

Alt-Fest posted:

It is with a heavy heart that we must confirm we have had to cancel Alt-Fest. We tried to put on a ground-breaking event for you & the alternative scene, and it was your support that was helping to make it happen. From our early days on Kickstarter through to all of you who have purchased tickets we thank you. We the organisers of Alt-Fest have done everything we can to save it, but this week we ran out of time to raise all the required funds that was needed upfront of the festival.

We also wish to apologise for the delay in releasing a formal statement cancelling the festival. We realise this has severely damaged our personal and professional reputations, we can only sincerely apologise for any additional stress and upset this has caused, we were honestly looking to act in your best interests.

We are very sorry to tell you that we have been advised to not reply to any individual comments or emails regarding the festival and instead make a comprehensive statement. It’s not how we like to do things, it feels wrong to walk off and let your questions, thoughts and opinions go unanswered. So we’ll try to answer them all briefly here.

We were doing very well for a first year festival. We sold over 7.5 thousand weekend tickets, and as you were aware we had a great line up with plenty going on. This however meant we had to pay for over half of all the band’s fees, with the remainder due just before & at the festival itself. Securing bands was not the only cost. The festival was going to cost £1,703,000 in total to put on, including artists, riders, travel, accommodation, production: power, staging, sound, lighting, track way, fencing, water, waste, the venue fee, security, medical assistance, traffic management, health & safety, marketing and much more. We ourselves and all of the Alt-Fest team have put in huge amounts of effort and time over the past two years and done everything within our power to make this work.

If we were to sell a minimum of another 1,000 tickets between now and the festival, we’d have suffered a significant loss that we couldn’t carry. This recently came to light based on a costing error explained below & inevitably down to the fact that the investor unfortunately pulled out last minute. We were expecting to sell more tickets based on our line-up, and if we had sold just 3000 tickets more then we would have been over the breakeven line, or if we could have deferred a percentage of our contractor’s payment, which they sadly were not prepared to do.

We thought our logic was sound and this was also backed by other promoters and people we respect in the music industry in general – Marilyn Manson can easily sell out a 5000 capacity venue, as can The Cult, Arch Enemy or Cradle of Filth. Then there’s the rest of the line-up plus the circus, steampunk, traders and art installations. Perhaps the people who would go to see them at a gig wouldn’t go to a 3 day festival, but they could still have bought day tickets and seen some of the 60-odd bands on that day as well as the headliners, and bring their kids along for free too – we are still trying to understand why we haven’t sold more tickets despite the offering & energy that has gone into it.

We’ve also been contending with a costing error made and ultimately poor advice in the early stages by a company who were supposed to help us work out what the festival would cost to put on. Coupled with the fact that in order for us to compete against the larger festivals then we had to put in very strong offers to be listened to by the agents & hence secure the talent. Additionally during the latter planning stages we were forced to move our main arena, through no fault of our own. This caused many extra costs that further increased the budget upfront of the event.

We have held continuous meetings and tried for months to secure investment & had genuine interest to cover this shortfall from individuals, investment firms and equity funding companies. Whilst there was every likelihood of this happening due to the positive feedback we were receiving, it was this week that our last option had run out. This was mainly because they didn’t understand the festival market or the alternative scene. We even tried, as a last resort to save the festival for you all, going to the corporations that dominate the music and festival industry to offer an ownership over the event to ensure it’s facilitated for our customers, but to no avail. We had exhausted all options but please know that we did everything within our power to make this happen.

We even looked at how we could make it to the festival and then recover this year’s loss from next year’s sales to get back on track. Unfortunately, we can’t manage that either because of the way the festival industry and its operators are prone to work. We would have to pay all the contractors before they even come on site to build the festival – they all want the full fee upfront due to the state of the market. We also had the remainder of band deposits to make up before and at the event. We just could not raise all the money needed upfront to continue, nor offset it against any revenue coming after the event – bar, car parking revenue as examples.

We are so, so deeply sorry, it’s awful to think of all the people who bought a ticket in good faith, who booked travel, some from the other side of the world. We massively appreciate the support you have shown, especially all the people who championed and defended us.

We do want you to know though, that it was never a scam or a con. We tried to do something new and different for you and the alternative scene, which was not easy. We have not gone on any exotic holidays or feathered our own nest, in fact exactly the opposite. We did not embezzle the money, or spend it recklessly, we used it to secure some of those great bands we had in the line-up, who required considerable deposits, and other aspects of the event as previously mentioned. We intended to make it an exciting event that would be enjoyed by every single one of you who supported us, so that we could grow even more in future years. Those of you who know us, we work tirelessly to put on excellent events. We never expected it to turn out this way and tried desperately to stop it from happening. However we could have done with better costing advice at the start and stronger ticket sales in this final period to get us through to the event.

We feel we have let the alternative community down, this saddens us immensely & the process we are about to go through is going to bankrupt us, which as I’m sure you can imagine adds huge strain on us as people & as a family.

It is just simply awful and we can only thank those of you who have shown us kindness and endless support, especially now in our most testing hour.

tl;dr - we done hosed up, sorry guys.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh well, that is definitely a bummer for everyone involved, but to me it's pretty obvious these people simply bit off more than they could chew. I do agree that it's kind of weird they couldn't get enough tickets sold with a lineup that solid, but I guess there can be a multitude of reasons for that, like trying to appeal to too a broad an audience and not being appealing enough to any one demographic, the location just sucking too much, or maybe "the scene" in the UK just not being big enough for a festival with apparently 10'000 expected paying visitors.

Germany has even bigger alternative festivals, but all of the succesful ones started off small and have grown organically to match their popularity. Look at Amphi, undoubtably one of the most succesful scene festivals (has sold out in advance six times in a row now) - it might have 16'000 visitors per day + pre- and after-festival cruises for 1111 people each now, but the first one in 2005 had just 4500 visitors. To me logic would dictate your first try at a festival should probably be at a smaller scale, even if you already have experience of organizing concerts and events.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 1, 2014

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

That they didn't sell enough tickets isn't that weird at all. Almost everyone I spoke to had exactly the same viewpoint as me. That it looked too good to be true, would probably implode in on itself and therefore will wait to see what happens and go next year if it looked good.

When it comes to camping-like festivals people will only ever go if their friends go. They had trouble convincing plenty of individuals, those individuals have plenty of friends and will influence them. That spreads around. Before you know it hardly anyone wants to attend. Not to mention the toes that they stepped on that, among other things, almost caused Infest to disappear forever. They didn't have much goodwill directly out of the starting gate.

Every other festival has started small. Smaller line-up, single-stage, cheaper venue, less days and cheaper. It's about building a reputation.

It doesn't surprise me at all, no festival has started at a break neck running pace like those guys did. It was silly.

[edit]

Haha, they say they needed to sell 3000 more tickets to even get to break-even point. But they posted this 'only 900 tickets left' poster mid-July. Dat transparency.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 2, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Babby Sathanas posted:

That they didn't sell enough tickets isn't that weird at all. Almost everyone I spoke to had exactly the same viewpoint as me. That it looked too good to be true, would probably implode in on itself and therefore will wait to see what happens and go next year if it looked good.

When it comes to camping-like festivals people will only ever go if their friends go. They had trouble convincing plenty of individuals, those individuals have plenty of friends and will influence them. That spreads around. Before you know it hardly anyone wants to attend. Not to mention the toes that they stepped on that, among other things, almost caused Infest to disappear forever. They didn't have much goodwill directly out of the starting gate.

Every other festival has started small. Smaller line-up, single-stage, cheaper venue, less days and cheaper. It's about building a reputation.

It doesn't surprise me at all, no festival has started at a break neck running pace like those guys did. It was silly.

[edit]

Haha, they say they needed to sell 3000 more tickets to even get to break-even point. But they posted this 'only 900 tickets left' poster mid-July. Dat transparency.

Good points, yeah. I didn't remember the too-good-to-be-true angle. Also lol at that poster

I do, however, want to say that a festival doesn't necessarily have to start small. For instance there are a couple of festivals here in Finland that went exceedingly well even though they shot for like 20'000 person strong audiences in their first year. Then again they were mostly mainstream festivals and I believe the people organizing the events were people who had experience about such events. So yeah, sure you can create a big festival out of nothing and have it succeed, but you're gonna have to be actually competent and poo poo. Who would've known!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Since I guess some people here might have an interest in it, Rome's "A Passage To Rhodesia" album is out, and it's really good. Well, if you like neo/martial/whatever you call it folk concept albums about the Rhodesian Bush War.
Especially the track One Fire. Daaaaaaaamn.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Since I guess some people here might have an interest in it, Rome's "A Passage To Rhodesia" album is out, and it's really good. Well, if you like neo/martial/whatever you call it folk concept albums about the Rhodesian Bush War.
Especially the track One Fire. Daaaaaaaamn.
I am so into this it's not even funny.

Just got back from seeing Alter Der Ruine and Mr. Kitty. Alter Der Ruine put on a fun, dancey show. Oh they agree with me that IIOIOIOII makes sweet music.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Future Days posted:

KMFDM is doing a thing, again!

I never thought I would be this apathetic toward new KMFDM but here we are. KUNST was the only album of theirs that I did not buy. They used to be so good :(

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'll never understand why they didn't steer in the MDFMK direction. For the time it was fairly fresh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm no connoisseur, but to me MDFMK was synonymous with Cifarelli's vocals. Doesn't she get featured a fair bit on their recent albums?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Speaking of which, a friend of mine found this

Do you think Nick will ever see a cent of it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm no connoisseur, but to me MDFMK was synonymous with Cifarelli's vocals. Doesn't she get featured a fair bit on their recent albums?
Also Tim Skold though. I have nothing against Cifarelli, though I did prefer KMFDM when they had revolving talent. She is contributing to the samey-ness of their modern career.

I quite liked WTF!? and the tour. It suddenly occurs to me that I just completely missed Kunst.

I wonder how Brute! feels whenever he's commissioned for yet another KMFDM cover.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

teethgrinder posted:

I wonder how Brute! feels whenever he's commissioned for yet another KMFDM cover.

I honestly can't think of what he'd be tearing himself away from.

E: oh my god, he's doing anti vax propaganda: http://blog.bruteprop.co.uk/

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

boo_radley posted:

E: oh my god, he's doing anti vax propaganda: http://blog.bruteprop.co.uk/

He's a commercial artist; sometimes he gets commissioned retarded poo poo.

His stuff is great, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSmPHspzIWg

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha, I love the title track from Kunst. It's like a ... perfect cynical recreation of what made them great in the 90s. It's a nostalgic throwback to what I enjoyed about them. The rest of it has been okay too thus far. I'm four tracks in.

I unabashedly loved them up-to-and-including Adios. And mdfmk was good too.

From Attak on, they got too samey for me for a while. Really enjoyed Superhero from Attak. I loved the intro+transition of WWIII but the dubbya samples felt too forced. I don't really remember anything from Hau Ruck, Tohuvabohu, or Blitz, perhaps unfairly. I'd given up on them by then. WTF!? got me interested again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought several tracks from Attak were really good, I just didn't anticipate repeatedly buying them over the next few years.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

KMFDM's OTWC teaser here:

https://soundcloud.com/kmfdm_official

IMO sounds way better than Kunst

e: gently caress that poo poo, I listened to it a bunch of times and it's way, way better than Kunst

Future Days fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought several tracks from Attak were really good, I just didn't anticipate repeatedly buying them over the next few years.
Yeah same. I still have a lot of affection for Attak, since it was my intro to KMFDM and kind of captured 17-year-old me's angst.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Future Days posted:

KMFDM's OTWC teaser here:

https://soundcloud.com/kmfdm_official

IMO sounds way better than Kunst

e: gently caress that poo poo, I listened to it a bunch of times and it's way, way better than Kunst

UAIOE is better than Kunst and that album sucks.

MURDER AND YA DONT STOP

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Project Pitchfork aren't going to infest and going to be replaced with VNV.. :smith:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Babby Sathanas posted:

Project Pitchfork aren't going to infest and going to be replaced with VNV.. :smith:

I just found out about this, I'm so disappointed.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oof. Unless something new just came up in the last couple of days, the band member who is unable to travel due to health issues is Jürgen Jansen. Spilles mentioned him in Königstein and said he's "feeling better", but obviously not well enough. Really sorry to hear that. Interestingly enough, Daniel Myer has been his replacement for the last couple of Pitchfork shows, including the Amphi Festival and Königstein ones I just saw, and he's at Infest with two of his projects... I guess he just can't be there on the third Infest day or something, then.

edit: Why yes, I've seen Project Pitchfork feat. Daniel Myer. It's pretty cool.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 6, 2014

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
At least they found a suitable replacement headliner, but sucks for people who were coming just to see PP.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Hey I just saw that Das Ich are playing meraluna, does that mean stefan is recovered now and that they're back for real because if so I might just explode and freak out right now.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

One new track is not enough, help me, yc, help

https://soundcloud.com/daisrecords/youth-code-consuming-guilt/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know that has to absolutely melt your face live.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Seriously Youth Code is going to rescue the genre.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

magiccarpet posted:

Seriously Youth Code is going to rescue the genre.

I think it's more that Youth Code are awesome and popular in spite of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think it's more that Youth Code are awesome and popular in spite of the genre.

I just don't care. Youth Code are fuckawesome and that's all that matters.