Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Just wondering, but does the Ultimate universe have a number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yes. It's 1 (the number of books left :v:)

It's 1610 though. All universes get a number someway or another.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What's interesting to note is that Cloak and Dagger are both on that cover, despite being seemingly killed in the last issue of Ultimates, and the Peter currently in the Miles book is nowhere to be seen.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Deadpool posted:

What's interesting to note is that Cloak and Dagger are both on that cover, despite being seemingly killed in the last issue of Ultimates, and the Peter currently in the Miles book is nowhere to be seen.

They're also on the cover of the final issue of All New Ultimates. I'm guessing they're not really dead

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The shots were drawn as beams of light with no blood too, no?

SMP
May 5, 2009

I just read Millars' Ultimates vol. 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them, but I know there's a lot of hate for Ultimates 3 here. Where do I go from here in the Ultimate universe? As I understand it Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four seem to be the two other big series. I'm not really an X-Men fan outside of Remender's UXF, but I the thought of not being weighed down by 30 years of canon is appealing. I'm also not really a Spider-Man fan so I'm not really looking to dive into the past 15 years of USM.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SMP posted:

I just read Millars' Ultimates vol. 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them, but I know there's a lot of hate for Ultimates 3 here. Where do I go from here in the Ultimate universe? As I understand it Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four seem to be the two other big series. I'm not really an X-Men fan outside of Remender's UXF, but I the thought of not being weighed down by 30 years of canon is appealing. I'm also not really a Spider-Man fan so I'm not really looking to dive into the past 15 years of USM.

If you don't like Spider-Man and you don't like the X-Men, just stop reading all ultimate books because the rest of them range from mediocre (Ultimate F4) to loving awful (pretty much everything that's not USM).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

If you don't like Spider-Man and you don't like the X-Men, just stop reading all ultimate books because the rest of them range from mediocre (Ultimate F4) to loving awful (pretty much everything that's not USM).

Ultimate Fantastic Four by Casey is pretty great

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Ultimate Fantastic Four by Casey is pretty great

Which arc was he? I found the series to be alright up until the Thanos arc at which point it totally lost me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Which arc was he? I found the series to be alright up until the Thanos arc at which point it totally lost me.

Issues 19-20, then 33-57

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'd still say go ahead and read USM anyway. It is early enough in Bendis' career that his Bendis-isms aren't too noticeable, it is a good book, and several Ultimate characters appear or debut there that'll later appear elsewhere. Your public library probably has a bunch of trades or hardcovers.

Millar's UXM was actually pretty good but no one was able to match it after that. There's also a short two issue break that introduces Gambit in the middle of Millar's run by, believe it or not, Chuck Austen. It might be the best Gambit story ever told.

If I remember correctly, Brian Vaughn followed up Millar's run but....it wasn't really that good, and in a couple cases, he kind of ruins some characters and makes them less unique. For example, he has Gambit hooking up with Rogue because...you know, it just has to happen, right?

Bendis UXM is basically a short Wolverine title featuring Spider-Man and Daredevil. Kirkman's is forgettable and lets just not enough mention anything that came after it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you don't like Spider-Man just read Ultimate Fantastic Four which is great, aside from a bit of art from Greg Land on some issues, and then stop. The Ultimate Universe is pretty Spider-Centric. You could also check out the Ultimate Galactus trilogy which is pretty drat fun.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Inkspot posted:

Didn't Norman rant about being Peter's father in Ultimate Six? Feels pretty samey.

Yup. Hail Hydra.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I gotta say, even though I was against it at first if Bendis brought Peter back just to have a happy ending and ride off into the sunset like that I'm totally fine with it. I loved this issue.

Also, Hail Hydra!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Also, Hail Hydra!

Did anyone else notice the amazing ad placement after that scene?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Deadpool posted:

I gotta say, even though I was against it at first if Bendis brought Peter back just to have a happy ending and ride off into the sunset like that I'm totally fine with it. I loved this issue.

Also, Hail Hydra!

We have our passing of the torch scene. Now let's never see Peter ever again. I'm fine with the outcome, but this was still really stupid.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

We have our passing of the torch scene. Now let's never see Peter ever again. I'm fine with the outcome, but this was still really stupid.

Stupid but fitting. He died for no good reason, he came back for no good reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Him loving off into the sunset was kinda lame imo. Story-wise he's best off leaving, but all that leaves me with is that Peter got a second chance at life and decided to not be a hero anymore, the city's still pretty messed up. It's an out and that's fine to tak and all, but I like stories where the hero refuses the out. :/ I'll see where the dad thing goes, but I think i'll drop this after next issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did I miss it where Bendis confirms it's the real 100% deal Peter?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Did I miss it where Bendis confirms it's the real 100% deal Peter?

I don't think there was any confirmation other than Peter's own words and MJ being with him to corroborate that his grave was empty.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He woke up alone in a warehouse halfway across the country, came back to NYC, creeped on Miles, helped fight Osborn, then hosed off with MJ in her mom's mini-van. The Hero's Journey is complete.

So, ... no. And I wouldn't hold your breath.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Inkspot posted:

He woke up alone in a warehouse halfway across the country, came back to NYC, creeped on Miles, helped fight Osborn, then hosed off with MJ in her mom's mini-van. The Hero's Journey is complete.

So, ... no. And I wouldn't hold your breath.

That is actually nice, especially after that lovely death.

Best not be a clone.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 13, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is actually nice, especially after that lovely death.

Best not be a clone.

The death may not have been great, but showing him being given a hero's welcome in Valhalla was nice.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sigh.

The All-New Ultimates continue to get punked by Taskmaster, the cops who got canned decide to go rogue, Sidewinder steals Taskmaster's white van full of dead/incapacitated kids, Bombshell chases after them, and thank the gods that Copra is coming back soon because this book needs put out to pasture.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My only concern was that Peter would take Miles role, but he is gone so I don't mind that he is back, since Miles is still Spider-Man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really hate the conclusion of the Peter storyline. Peter's death was a perfect, if sad, closure to his story. This just reads like a fanfic that someone else wrote just to give MJ and Aunt May a happy ending. And on some level, I appreciate that because poo poo, I just like happy endings, but on the other hand, the story is just so weak. "Oh it turns out that Peter is immortal like Norman because ??? then Peter and Miles totally beat Norman and then Peter and MJ go drive into the sunset and live happily ever after. THE END"

Actually, let me revise my statement: I really hate this whole storyline, because if the conclusion of "happily ever after" was bad, the alternate would've been "clone/symbiote/some 3rd thing" and that would've been infinitely worse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

And on some level, I appreciate that because poo poo, I just like happy endings, but on the other hand, the story is just so weak. "Oh it turns out that Peter is immortal like Norman because ??? then Peter and Miles totally beat Norman and then Peter and MJ go drive into the sunset and live happily ever after. THE END"

You mean besides the way that they got their powers came from the same source?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Okay I guess I shouldn't complain about him being immortal like Norman and more him and Norman being immortal at all because that's still just loving stupid.

e: On that note, it's really great that after saying multiple times how he's immortal and how, you know, he's come back to life multiple times, everyone just up and leaves Norman's body on the ground. Sure, Maria Hill empties a clip into the body but sorry if I'm skeptical that just because a TV in the background of a scene later says he's dead no really guys for real that that's the end of Osborn. Ugh, the more I think about the end the more I dislike the story.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 13, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ultimate Spider-Man is officially a bad comic book as of November the 11th of the year 2014.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Bendis did this to soften the blow of Marvel finally old yeller-ing the Ultimate line next year.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Wouldn't that just make it worse? Okay, Peter came back and his friends and family got a happy ending oh wait poo poo they're all dead now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

Okay I guess I shouldn't complain about him being immortal like Norman and more him and Norman being immortal at all because that's still just loving stupid.

e: On that note, it's really great that after saying multiple times how he's immortal and how, you know, he's come back to life multiple times, everyone just up and leaves Norman's body on the ground. Sure, Maria Hill empties a clip into the body but sorry if I'm skeptical that just because a TV in the background of a scene later says he's dead no really guys for real that that's the end of Osborn. Ugh, the more I think about the end the more I dislike the story.

It's not like he'd be any more secure in the Trisklion

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man is officially a bad comic book as of November the 11th of the year 2014.

Honestly, I don't think the book (and the entire Ultimate line) has been the same since Ultimatum. It's not that it was outright bad post-Ultimatum but it never reached the levels of issues 1-133 + Requiem again.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This whole arc feels really pointless. Why bring Peter back if he's just going to swing off into the sunset? Why bring Norman back if he's just going to get punked in a dumb filler fight with no stakes? It feels like a self-indulgent tying up of loose ends that haven't been relevant for years.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What the hell was up with that fight?

Norman is in human form and is beaten!
No wait he's a goblin again.
OK now he's human again and totally knocked the gently caress out.
Nope Goblin yet again.
Punched some more, back to human.
Dead now. for real.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squidster posted:

This whole arc feels really pointless. Why bring Peter back if he's just going to swing off into the sunset? Why bring Norman back if he's just going to get punked in a dumb filler fight with no stakes? It feels like a self-indulgent tying up of loose ends that haven't been relevant for years.

It was tying up lose ends and rectifying a really, really lovely story. It gave Peter a happy ending,

I guess that is the eye of the beholder, but still it did serve a purpose.

Though I do wonder if that means DOSM was editorally mandated or if Bendis just wanted to do something nice for the fans.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TwoPair posted:

JJJ did the same thing barely an issue ago and we've seen how well that worked. You're right, this story gets worse the more you think about it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Senjuro posted:

Honestly, I don't think the book (and the entire Ultimate line) has been the same since Ultimatum. It's not that it was outright bad post-Ultimatum but it never reached the levels of issues 1-133 + Requiem again.

Without a doubt.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Senjuro posted:

JJJ did the same thing barely an issue ago and we've seen how well that worked. You're right, this story gets worse the more you think about it.

I think she also set his body on fire? But I'm not sure how well that works, since he seems to be on fire constantly when he's the Goblin. But I guess unconsciousness + bullets + fire is the key to defeating immortality.

It really seems like they're wrapping things up. J.J.'s dead, Peter and company got a happy ending, it looks like Miles is about to hash things out with his dad. I'm starting to believe the rumors that Miles is getting moved to the regular universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senjuro posted:

What the hell was up with that fight?

Norman is in human form and is beaten!
No wait he's a goblin again.
OK now he's human again and totally knocked the gently caress out.
Nope Goblin yet again.
Punched some more, back to human.
Dead now. for real.

Pretty sure it was all the Norman fights merged into one.

• Locked thread