Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cov-hog posted:

Hi thread,

A 10 year old in my life is is kind of going in the wrong direction and I'd like to redirect him onto computer stuff. He's into computer games (as in, he's not actually allowed to play them, but watching other people play them on YouTube is okay? :confused:) and thinks MineCraft and Garry's Mod are baller.

Do you guys have any ideas for how to get this kid involved in building stuff/learning programming? I'm thinking about preordering the raspberry pi zero but all the project ideas I've come across look too sophisticated and maybe a little boring for a kid who is new to it. Any inspiring projects or places to start learning programming that would appeal to a 10 year old?
Get him a pi 2 or an Arduino, plus a solderless electronics kit.

Scratch is good, but watching your code influence the real world (via motors, leds, etc) is a pretty reliable way to get kids to stick with it IME.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Processing is also a great "First Program" environment. Visual feedback is really encouraging for beginners, and it also gets you familiar with Java syntax without slogging through Java boilerplate.

As far as I know, Processing is not well supported on the Pi, but should run well on any PC unless it's something downright ancient.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cov-hog posted:

Hi thread,

A 10 year old in my life is is kind of going in the wrong direction and I'd like to redirect him onto computer stuff. He's into computer games (as in, he's not actually allowed to play them, but watching other people play them on YouTube is okay? :confused:) and thinks MineCraft and Garry's Mod are baller.

Do you guys have any ideas for how to get this kid involved in building stuff/learning programming? I'm thinking about preordering the raspberry pi zero but all the project ideas I've come across look too sophisticated and maybe a little boring for a kid who is new to it. Any inspiring projects or places to start learning programming that would appeal to a 10 year old?

Uh honestly if he already digs Minecraft, work him through simple Redstone logic stuff. It's both simple and already has a use in the game he plays for doing things.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

cov-hog posted:

Hi thread,

Did he say that he wants to learn programming? All I see is a kid watching LPs/streams, like every other kid his age. He's not allowed to play games, and now someone else wants to convince him of a hobby. I mean maybe let the kid decide for himself for once.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mike12345 posted:

All I see is a kid watching LPs/streams, like every other kid his age. He's not allowed to play games, and now someone else wants to convince him of a hobby. I mean maybe let the kid decide for himself for once.
This is p important. Our recs are only going to do if he's into that sort of thing in the first place. Even as young 10, it can take a lot of time and effort to pull back a kid from whatever bad place is. I don't understand how allowing LP's but not actually playing games is productive at all.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

mike12345 posted:

Did he say that he wants to learn programming? All I see is a kid watching LPs/streams, like every other kid his age. He's not allowed to play games, and now someone else wants to convince him of a hobby. I mean maybe let the kid decide for himself for once.

Yeah. I do a lot of mentoring with youth and technology. Help him make an easy-to-use modloader for his copy of Minecraft and show him a copy you already have. Make a Minecraft server together for him and some of his nerdier friends to share. Lookup how to get Minecraft running on ARM. Build a portable computer out of salvaged suitcases and eBay.

Really it's about 1) the amount of time you're spending with the kid, 2) doing things that you both love, 3) leaving with all the tools necessary to do the next crazy thing. It's gotten so far I've got Eclipse IDE setup for 11 year-olds to hack their own blocks in and start learning Java. It's there, just make it fun.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Hey, for anyone else who got that Liva X I posted a week ago: the rebate period on that one is 18 days from purchase. Mine still hasn't shown up yet, so be sure to mail that fucker as soon as it does.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought one of those, and it is pretty awesome for a $70 computer. Installing Windows was kind of a pain in the rear end because UEFI, but it runs Windows smooth enough for web browsing and streaming video. Included wifi, eMMC, power supply, case, and Bluetooth put it on almost even footing price-wise with a decked out Ras Pi 2. Plus it can actually be used for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:confused: Isn't the Liva X just a NUC?

It is really cool though, that thing looks quite capable. It's not farfetched to think that within 5 years we may have 2.5-3.5 ghz quad core wth 2-4gb ram SBC that are quite cheap and fully capable of doing day to day office work and home owner consumption of media for 30-50 dollars. All the while being fanless and with a form factor the size of the Raspberry Pi if not smaller.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The Liva has memory and storage included (2GB memory, 32GB eMMC storage), whereas NUCs don't come with any memory or storage and you need to provide your own. This makes the Liva little cheaper but not as flexible since a NUC can have bigger drives and more memory. For a lot of things like a little media player, network server, etc. the Liva storage and memory should be perfect.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

YouTuber posted:

:confused: Isn't the Liva X just a NUC?

It's like a NUC, but less powerful. On the flip side, the price is lower, and it ships with RAM and eMMC to boot off of.

E: F, b

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

Jamsta posted:

Don't buy anything to start with.

Get them used to Scratch first to see if they have the aptitude for programming...

https://scratch.mit.edu/

Scratch looks awesome!

evil_bunnY posted:

Get him a pi 2 or an Arduino, plus a solderless electronics kit.

Scratch is good, but watching your code influence the real world (via motors, leds, etc) is a pretty reliable way to get kids to stick with it IME.

This is really true for this kid in particular. He's really hands-on, but he also really needs the feedback and support from other people. I don't think he's (I know he isn't) getting that at home or at school, so an online community might be important too.

TVarmy posted:

Processing is also a great "First Program" environment. Visual feedback is really encouraging for beginners, and it also gets you familiar with Java syntax without slogging through Java boilerplate.

As far as I know, Processing is not well supported on the Pi, but should run well on any PC unless it's something downright ancient.

Processing might be a bit too technical but good to have on the radar.

fishmech posted:

Uh honestly if he already digs Minecraft, work him through simple Redstone logic stuff. It's both simple and already has a use in the game he plays for doing things.

!! This is perfect.

mike12345 posted:

I want to address this, even if it's a little e/n. You can bet your rear end that if he was interested in chemistry, or trumpet, or football, or ballet, or solving mysteries or literally anything else that I would be here encouraging the poo poo out of him. To give a little more context, the kid is essentially my step-kid. He lives across the country with his mom and her husband. His dad is with me. The kid is a lot like his dad: really excitable, a little overwhelming, doesn't sit still for long unless he's staring at a screen (so, maybe more accurately, his dad is a lot like any normal 10 year old boy?). His dad has not been involved enough, but that is getting turned around. The mom is not a bad person and she is trying her best, but she can't relate to the kid at all. She really just wants him to be quiet and out of trouble. That isn't happening, so the kid has learned that any attention is better than no attention and he acts out a lot. He gets unsupervised computer time (but no games except Minecraft). He doesn't have any parental oversight for things that should be habits, like brushing your teeth at night. He gets bullied at school. He doesn't know how to manage getting angry, and he regularly loses his poo poo. He still gets spanked (he's 10?). (He got in trouble for hitting the girl who is mean to him at school and everyone is like, "where did he learn how to hit?" :stare:) The "wrong direction" he's going in is more or less that he's getting the police called on him at school (again, he's 10), they're trying to put him in the 4th new school in two years, the teachers won't work with him because he's a "bad kid", he's fighting a lot, he's lying and manipulating for fun, and most recently he told the girls who bully him that he "had a gun" in his bag and "would shoot them". He did not have a gun, but you know, that's kind of a touchy thing to say in schools these days.

IMO, the kid needs more guidance, attention and encouragement. He isn't a bad kid but he is going to become a bad teenager if this keeps going. I think he needs to have something to do that he wants to do, can be done with other people online or in real life, and can excel at, to maybe give him more confidence and to definitely stay busy with. If that's video games, then cool. But he can do more than watch LPs on youtube. Personally, I'd rather he played GTA V himself than watch 11 year olds play almost anything. If he is interested in building cool poo poo in Minecraft, then awesome. If he's interested in translating that into building cool poo poo in the real world (whether through code or woodworking, whatever) then that is also awesome. If skills he can start building now turn out to be lucrative for his future, then that is baller. I am not trying to choose a hobby for him, but if he's interested in games and gets excited about code and I can help, then I will do the best I can to support that.

Unless posted:

Yeah. I do a lot of mentoring with youth and technology. Help him make an easy-to-use modloader for his copy of Minecraft and show him a copy you already have. Make a Minecraft server together for him and some of his nerdier friends to share. Lookup how to get Minecraft running on ARM. Build a portable computer out of salvaged suitcases and eBay.

Really it's about 1) the amount of time you're spending with the kid, 2) doing things that you both love, 3) leaving with all the tools necessary to do the next crazy thing. It's gotten so far I've got Eclipse IDE setup for 11 year-olds to hack their own blocks in and start learning Java. It's there, just make it fun.

Thanks for this post. We're kind of far away but we can still spend time with the kid; the minecraft server is a great idea. I guess many things come down to time, inspiration and having the right tools :)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

The Liva has memory and storage included (2GB memory, 32GB eMMC storage), whereas NUCs don't come with any memory or storage and you need to provide your own. This makes the Liva little cheaper but not as flexible since a NUC can have bigger drives and more memory. For a lot of things like a little media player, network server, etc. the Liva storage and memory should be perfect.
You can add a larger drive to the Liva X. It has a spot for a mSATA drive. You can also add a drive through the USB 3.0 port like I did. I have 2.5 inch hard drives coming out of my ears from upgrading laptops to SSDs. Unfortunately there is no way to add more memory.

I am REALLY impressed by the usability the little thing offers for such a small amount of money. I need to try it out as a Steam in home streaming client. If it can do that, it is pretty close to the perfect cheapo HTPC; it sips power, is tiny, and it runs Windows, so it has access to pretty much every streaming service, including the ones that have restrictions depending on what consumer electronics streaming device you are using.

Edit to add: on a whim I bought a handful of the cheapest wifi dongles I could find from a US seller on ebay. The result: teensy tiny "150Mbps" RALink wifi dongles for $1.85 each, shipped to my door. And they actually work. Absolutely amazing. I remember wifi cards that cost $100+ and promised speeds up to 11 Mbps. Technology is amazing.

Hopefully someone will make a RPZ case that has some room inside for the adapters that convert microUSB into real USB and microHDMI into real HDMI.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 1, 2015

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
I want to start connecting my raspberry pi to old 70s/80s televsions that use VHF/UHF and Coaxial connectors. I was wondering how I would go about doing this? I heard something along the lines of an RF modulator. But what other things would I need. HDMI to RCA? Coax cables? Someone has done it here but doesn't really go into detail. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19235

EpicCareMadBitch fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 7, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

oaok posted:

I want to start connecting my raspberry pi to old 70s/80s televsions that use VHF/UHF and Coaxial connectors. I was wondering how I would go about doing this? I heard something along the lines of an RF modulator. But what other things would I need. HDMI to RCA? Coax cables? Someone has done it here but doesn't really go into detail. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19235

The Pi has an RCA out in addition to HDMI. An RF Modulator will take care if everything for you.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Moey posted:

The Pi has an RCA out in addition to HDMI. An RF Modulator will take care if everything for you.

The new one doesn't, not without an adapter

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

oaok posted:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-R...J7S341C3BRGNJTP

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cable-1-8m/dp/B002ZUI68G

http://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Cable-F-Male-Connectors--Wall/dp/B003FVX8GE/ref=lp_597550_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449509300&sr=1-1

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Skarsnik posted:

The new one doesn't, not without an adapter

poo poo, my bad.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pine64/pine-a64-first-15-64-bit-single-board-super-comput

Well this Pine64 board looks promising. Ethernet not attached to USB, clock, battery charger, more resolution, bigger SD support, extra ports.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There is one mouse, there are lots of mice.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

There is one mouse, there are lots of mice.

Except when referring to computing peripherals, in which case you may find many mouses.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pine64/pine-a64-first-15-64-bit-single-board-super-comput

Well this Pine64 board looks promising. Ethernet not attached to USB, clock, battery charger, more resolution, bigger SD support, extra ports.

Looks interesting to me too. Anyone have experience with that chipset's performance or what phone it would be equivalent to?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Dylan16807 posted:

Very, very similar to the odroid-c1. Better processor but slightly slower clock speed (I assume you can overclock it, it should be faster regardless) and cheaper, interesting!

fishmech posted:

Looks interesting to me too. Anyone have experience with that chipset's performance or what phone it would be equivalent to?

https://community.arm.com/groups/processors/blog/2013/10/28/the-top-5-things-to-know-about-cortex-a53

Looks to be an upgrade of the A9, so expect better performance than the current rpi and odroid offerings (the XU4 might outperform it overall but it also costs $74 just for the board so no contest on price).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The odroid also needs an addon to do 5v or 3.3v GPIO

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I've been seeing a lot of references to ESP 8266 and Raspberry Pi. What advantage does one of these have compared to a USB wifi dongle? Are these 8266 things just popular right now because they represent a way to get wifi on a Pi Zero without having to use a USB OTG adapter?

I got one of those Orange Pi PCs from Aliexpress. I had to wait a couple of extra days for a power adapter from Amazon, but to my surprise, the thing actually works. The software support is loving garbage compared to RPi, but there is enough there to use one of these as a light duty file/print server. Does anyone know if the ethernet implementation is more robust than the RPi's hackjob ethernet?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 11, 2015

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

PBCrunch posted:

I've been seeing a lot of references to ESP 8266 and Raspberry Pi. What advantage does one of these have compared to a USB wifi dongle? Are these 8266 things just popular right now because they represent a way to get wifi on a Pi Zero without having to use a USB OTG adapter?

ESP8266 is a standalone embedded platform which can run Arduino or NodeMCU, it's not a plug and go adapter.

The ESP-> Pi SDIO project is a hack of the highest order :)

http://hackaday.com/2015/12/09/raspberry-pi-wifi-through-sdio/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 8266 is a full microcontroller (it happens to have both client and AP wifi front ends, but it's not exactly enterprise grade). It's been a popular way to give *duino boards a way to talk over the air (serial to wifi), but it can do a lot by itself (with I think micropython and lua) amd it's cheap as chips (he.. he kill me now).

There's really good support from a bunch of places, so you can just talk to it from the duino IDE too:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huzzah-esp8266-breakout/overview

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Has there been any information on the next run of pi zeros? Is it a matter of weeks or months?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adadruit blog said weeks.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Order all your OTG USB hubs, GPIO ethernet parts, and other $2 electronics from aliexpress, and by the time that stuff arrives from China, the Zero will be closer to availability.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Just took the plunge and got the starter kit and a usb harddrive. First time ever doing something hacky, going to attempt to make a wireless NAS. Any precautions for a utterly green noob?

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 12, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

Just took the plunge and got the starter kit and a usb harddrive. First time ever doing something hacky, going to attempt to make a wireless NAS. Any precautions for a utterly green noob?
The worst thing htat happens is you lose all your files on the nas, so keep copies until you feel confident that you succeeded. As long as you remember that, the worst that happens is you paid money for something that you lose interest in.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Famethrowa posted:

Enjoy, and if you decide you want to use something like that full time, transition to something more permanent and pick some other fun project to use the Pi for.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Dylan16807 posted:

I've been considering buying a 2gb Pine64+, but I'm also toying with buying this instead:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/139108638/lattepanda-a-45-win10-computer-for-everything

Running Win10 on an x86 platform is tempting, but by the time you're buying the version with 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, and the 64 bit OS you're creeping into mini-itx territory pricewise. Only two USB ports too, but it would probably be more powerful computationally. Anyone else got any thoughts?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, buy something that's already out. By the time these kickstarters finish and get fulfilled (maybe), there will be better spec and price competitors out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The competitors are already out. Even the earlybird pricing only matches what the Liva X has been running lately (2/32 version for $70, 4/64 version for $140) and it's a solid step down across the board.

• No mSATA
  • No gigabit ethernet
  • No case
  • No power supply
  • Quad-core 1.8 GHz instead of dual-core 2.25 GHz.
It does have AES-NI though, if that matters to your use-cases.

I wonder if Cherry Trail has a real dedicated channel for the ethernet controller, or if they just put it on the USB bus.

It's still a step up from the Pi2, but it's by no means the "most powerful computer for its size". That honor probably falls to Parallella or Jetson TX1, or the Liva X/X2.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 13, 2015

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
That's probably true, but in the UK both of those are pricey - the cheapest (only) 4/64 Liva X i could find on sale here was £177, twice the price of the 4/64 LattePanda, while the Jetson is a $300 import.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh, true. The pricing probably makes a lot more sense for EU customers.

The Jetson TK1 is $192 in the US, the TX1 is just crazy expensive. It's $600 with the dev kit, or like $400 with just the embedded module.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 13, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pi Goons

Looking to build a portable Raspberry Pi or Banana Pro. media player/server for either plugging into various none smart tv's or streaming in the car to a tablet/phone.

Thinking i need a SSD for ease of use. Honestly it will just end up just dealing with media up to 1080p with Kodi... but i'd like an ssd because it's just easier.

Wot do...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Pi Goons

Looking to build a portable Raspberry Pi or Banana Pro. media player/server for either plugging into various none smart tv's or streaming in the car to a tablet/phone.

Thinking i need a SSD for ease of use. Honestly it will just end up just dealing with media up to 1080p with Kodi... but i'd like an ssd because it's just easier.

Wot do...?

Bpro still needs a microsd to boot. But, you can set the root fs to point at the ssd/hdd. Bpro does MUCH higher network throughput as well. I have one running debian for Octoprint to run my 3d printer. Having a real HDD instead of sdcard for the file system makes them hilariously faster.