Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beast Pussy posted:

Best name/ post combo.

Hey he sacrificed himself to save Carlos!

Also, if we're talking favorite bits, the "Night Vale, we've got a real spider problem" thing from super early in year one is my favorite. Stop the madness, teach a spider to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Literally The Worst posted:

Also, if we're talking favorite bits, the "Night Vale, we've got a real spider problem" thing from super early in year one is my favorite. Stop the madness, teach a spider to read

I loved the danger levels in Worms! (not WORMS!!!)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

That always confused me because books are illegal?

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
^^ no, books are just heavily restricted and considered dangerous. They wouldn't have a library if they were totally illegal.

My favourite bit has got to be the automatic phone system from "Water Failure". Just something about a robo-voice saying things like

"You know there are SUPERVOLCANOES set to explode any day now, right? Existence is so incomprehensibly FRAGILE and CRUEL. Please continue to hold."

And Cecil doubting the existence of water.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dark Grapefruit posted:

^^ no, books are just heavily restricted and considered dangerous. They wouldn't have a library if they were totally illegal.

All the same, for some reason tarantula's are encouraged to read, yet humans are encouraged not to.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tarantulas aren't vulnerable to Librarian venom, so it's safer for them.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

The events are perfectly comprehensible, IMO.

Was anyone at the Tuscon show last night? I noticed a bunch of the audience was wearing tinfoil hats. I am used to seeing all manner of different cosplays at the shows but that is a new one i thought it was funny

A little late but yeah I was at the Rialto show. I noticed the tinfoil hats too and thought it was a nice little gesture. As it was the first live Night Vale show i've been to I was surprised, but not in a bad way, at how many songs Mary Epworth got to do. It was like a mini-concert! Overall the live acting by the whole group was awesome and I gained more appreciation for the talent behind the show.

Edit- Also lol at Tuscon, I swear the city just needs to change the spelling to that given how often its mispelled.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Seems like you guys wanting a more generalized Night Vale story might want to check out the book, because that seems more like a feature length Story About Them interlude than stuff specifically about Cecil and his friends and family.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm gonna put out another controversial opinion here. While I liked A Story About You quite a lot, I don't really want more of it. Including not being into A Story About Them all that much. I just want to hear about whatever weird thing is happening in the town that week, with no real major story arc happening, but lots of little things like the early episodes. And I liked Cecil more as a cipher with some quirks than the fully fleshed out character he's become.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, though.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
The non-standard format episodes are some of my favorites. I can't wait to find out what the final voice mail is about :iiam:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dimloep posted:

The non-standard format episodes are some of my favorites. I can't wait to find out what the final voice mail is about :iiam:

Yeah I think September Monologues and Story about Them are two of my favorites just for how they flesh out the world

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that Cecil's line about "No family member being perfect" in the episode with the cassette tapes is the same as his line about pets in Glow Cloud, when discussing Koshykk. The best podcast.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm gonna put out another controversial opinion here. While I liked A Story About You quite a lot, I don't really want more of it. Including not being into A Story About Them all that much. I just want to hear about whatever weird thing is happening in the town that week, with no real major story arc happening, but lots of little things like the early episodes. And I liked Cecil more as a cipher with some quirks than the fully fleshed out character he's become.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, though.

I agree with you totally on both opinions. But I want to see if the Carlos thing is handled and maybe after it will settle down on that stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's a question I don't think I've ever seen: are there any plot lines that you guys had sorta planned that were abandoned as you made the transition to the more serialized format, or that have strayed from the origins intent?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Hey, just saw you guys at the Oakland show... and it was good!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 5, 2015

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Yo Seattle friends... See you tonight!

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Hey Seattle fans... I have an extra ticket / VIP Club (reserved seating)... Look for the guy with a Stanford hoodie on around 9PM in front! Bring cash or grass

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
This is just one man's opinion but the Seattle live show tonight was really fun and kicked a lot of rear end.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

There's a little Livestream where a few of us listen to the new episodes together and everyone in the chat is freaking the hell out. I'm a bit dizzy myself. Goddamn.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Action Yak Police posted:

There's a little Livestream where a few of us listen to the new episodes together and everyone in the chat is freaking the hell out. I'm a bit dizzy myself. Goddamn.

Yeah this is some crazy rear end poo poo that's throwing a wrinkle into what I thought we knew about Night Vale

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
That was an amazing episode.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Did anyone listen to the end? Sounds like the studio door opened during the last second of the file? (after the credits I mean)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The Berzerker posted:

Did anyone listen to the end? Sounds like the studio door opened during the last second of the file? (after the credits I mean)

Yeah it definitely was.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I thought it was just another tape eject noise.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I was pretty confused, but I by the end I think I got it. In Subway, if I remember correctly, it was stated that Night Vale was the nexus of several different universes/alternate realities, (or at least that's what I took away from it), and it seems to me like the tapes were all from different realities with different timelines. It also might imply what I've suspected all along, that Desert Bluffs is alternate-timeline Night Vale. Idk, that's just my two cents.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Emong posted:

I thought it was just another tape eject noise.

It was this.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That was James Urbaniak narrating today, right? So awesome

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I haven't been this unsettled by WTNV since "Cassette", great job. Also James Urbaniak is awesome and the perfect casting.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Stay safe Leonard. Stay safe everyone. :ohdear:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anybody with an apple device should grab the BookCon preview off the store because it's got the first four (four!!!) chapters of the novel in it and it's real good

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Anybody with an apple device should grab the BookCon preview off the store because it's got the first four (four!!!) chapters of the novel in it and it's real good

I can't help but read it as Cecil. Definitely going for the audiobook on this one, but a signed Subterranean version would be amazing.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
So it's 2:30am and my brain is making the sorts of connections only made by a brain at 2:30am: 1. Cecil's confusion as to how the settlers from 'back east' could just own land, as if that were even a thing, is reminiscent of how a lot of native american tribes viewed the encroachment of European settlers. 2. Cecil was clearly upset at the destruction of Nulgorsk and would probably make a trip to Russia to try to prevent this catastrophe. 3. Cecil loves Carlos, and would have saved him from the subterranean population living under the pin return area of lane 5... but he couldn't, he was stuck in his booth, useless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Cecil is the Apache Tracker.

And by extension, an rear end in a top hat.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

So it's 2:30am and my brain is making the sorts of connections only made by a brain at 2:30am:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, Cecil is the Apache Tracker.

Nice post/username combo! Which is to say I don't quite comprehend your conclusion.

However I could see there being some connection between the Apache Tracker and Nulgorsk. He got transported from the haunted post office to the sister city where they had always sent letters. Since Nulgorsk's connection to Night Vale was stuck in the 80s/before its destruction, the Apache Tracker was able to prevent its destruction and/or link Nulgorsk to Night Vale's non-destroyed reality. Hence, the submarine of gratitude that they sent later.

(I don't know if he left before The Traveler or whether AT would care about Megan Wallaby.. Maybe her parents had kept writing their letters.)

The fact that AT came back as a Native American who can only speak Russian could be explained as a sorting error by the interdimensional postal service.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
How the gently caress do I get to this book preview? Searching from the iTunes store in "books" I can only find the pre-order page for the full-length book, and clicking the link in the email takes me to a page telling me I need to download iTunes. While I have iTunes open in another window.

Can anyone just paste the friggin' URL for me?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Diet Poison posted:

How the gently caress do I get to this book preview? Searching from the iTunes store in "books" I can only find the pre-order page for the full-length book, and clicking the link in the email takes me to a page telling me I need to download iTunes. While I have iTunes open in another window.

Can anyone just paste the friggin' URL for me?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
drat, its protected or something. I can only read it if I have an apple device. Is there anyway to read it on the PC?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Mandy Thompson posted:

drat, its protected or something. I can only read it if I have an apple device. Is there anyway to read it on the PC?

For what it is worth I am looking at the page on a PC right now. All I did was click the link.

ElectricBassClef
Jun 23, 2013

This was a great episode! It was different from the usual Night Vale brand of weirdness I've come to expect, and it really threw me. I had no idea what was going on at first. It was cool!

But James Urbaniak's voice doesn't sound "all high-pitched and grating like sandpaper" so obviously he was a completely inappropriate casting choice. :colbert: Kidding! He was great, as usual. I like how under-stated Leonard's reaction to the report of his own death was. I can see where Cecil learned his unflappability from.

Also, whoa. Old Woman Josie has a last name!

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

I found a different link to the excerpt floating around on Tumblr. This one worked on PC. And the book is hilarious so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Literally impossible not to read in Cecil's voice. And I consider myself quite good at changing the voices I read in. I tried Samuel L Jackson, and only got as far as two lines before it turned back into Cecil. This is a thing I accept as logical due to psychology reasons.