Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Oh my God I thought I was the only one who didn't like dinner/drinks after work travel meetings! People think I'm weird when after we are done for the day, I just want to go back to the hotel and relax.

You mean with a co-worker you don't like who happens to be your room mate for this trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

caberham posted:

You mean with a co-worker you don't like who happens to be your room mate for this trip

Roommate? Wtf?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
We all share rooms

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Go ahead, tell him the rest too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh and no one really socializes or drinks after work. We just eat food, watch some Soccer. Most people just want to go back and chain smoke cigarettes and deal with emails.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I had to travel alone with a client for the first time recently. I was quite thankful when she turned down my offer for dinner in favor of chilling at the hotel.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

We all share rooms

Why do you still work there?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Come on dude. Noodle suitcase.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
gently caress noodles in a suitcase. kill your room mate. figure out the fare rules and subsidize a drink.

no clap. never clarp. non claeampet.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Someone please help me. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Long story short: I co-own a business. We agreed all normal flights would be paid for by our company, but anything above that we'd pay the difference out of pocket.

I recently injured my back pretty bad - two disc herniations, disc fracture, etc. I decided for my round trip flight to Europe I'd upgrade myself to Business once I booked the flight.

During the booking process the United's website clearly said "you may upgrade this flight after booking". Great.

I book it and...no option to upgrade whatsoever. It led to this insane exchange on Twitter where they offer to waitlist me then say they can't waitlist me:

I'm literally asking them to TAKE MY MONEY. What can I do at this point?

What kind of upgrade are you trying to apply? Instrument supported, miles+cash, or straight up cash via an upfare? Each has a different set of rules and requirements and while the UA twitter team should know that stuff, it's minutia in the program and they probably don't. And then there is the issue of availability; space in the R bucket must be open on the TATL flight in order to secure an upgrade unless you're just paying for it out of pocket (which is akin to buying the J fare in the first place). Waitlisting is only done for instrument-supported upgrades (a GPU applied by a 1K member). So if you have some clarifying details, that can help get you sorted.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AgrippaNothing posted:

gently caress noodles in a suitcase. kill your room mate. figure out the fare rules and subsidize a drink.

All of this

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
.just landed phone rant.

gently caress you american airlines for your response and inability to deal with anything. Like when a flight is delayed and you say gently caress boarding order. Making a priority pass upgrade worthless. Or your outlets that don't work. Making a wireless pass worthless. Or how about trying to tell a passenger taking off your shoes, socks, and propping your smelly feet up against the bulkhead isn't cool, and not just shrugging. Or remember that time that guy started throwing all his trash on the floor so soda cans, cups, and ice were rolling around on the floor. Remember when you asked me to pick it all up for you because you didn't want to deal with that guy yourself. Counted like ten "what do you want me to do" shrugs during this flight. No, gently caress you american. Also your planes suck.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pro airline/airport chat.

There was a bad wreck bear AUS today, which caused me to arrive at security for my 930 departure at 931. Pre check and phone boarding passes on SWA let me make the flight. I had to sit between two hulking guys, but I made it.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I'm starting a new contract next week and I'm looking forward to exploring a different city! The bad news is that my new firm seems to think that "Where exactly am I reporting?" and "What is the per diem?" are rhetorical questions. :allears:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There was a bad wreck bear AUS today
I hope the bear was ok, :tbear:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK highly-paid, well-dressed business travelers. I am but a t-shirted nerd, but I'm flying 15 hours to (among other things) attend a wedding, and I need to bring my suit. How do I best go about that? I don't have a bag that'll specifically do that.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

I've only experienced this on Southwest, so the moral of this story is don't fly Southwest.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

bolind posted:

OK highly-paid, well-dressed business travelers. I am but a t-shirted nerd, but I'm flying 15 hours to (among other things) attend a wedding, and I need to bring my suit. How do I best go about that? I don't have a bag that'll specifically do that.

Buy a garment bag.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And then what? Check it? Have it as my carry-on?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Carry-on works, and if it's not a full flight they might even hang it for you. Or if your bag has enough space, just put it on top.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
What if you're bringing 4 or 5 suits. Serious question. Just get them pressed at the destination?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

puchu posted:

What if you're bringing 4 or 5 suits. Serious question. Just get them pressed at the destination?

Probably, yes. A travel steamer is inexpensive and works well: just be patient. Hanging one or two in the bathroom while you take a shower also works well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don't bring four or five suits is usually the answer to that question. If you're carrying that many suits you probably have time to get them pressed.

I use a Travelpro carry on structured folding garment bag that will fit 3-4 suits. For wedding guy, get a cheap soft garment bag.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't bring four or five suits is usually the answer to that question. If you're carrying that many suits you probably have time to get them pressed.

I use a Travelpro carry on structured folding garment bag that will fit 3-4 suits. For wedding guy, get a cheap soft garment bag.

Yep I've got the time.

Is your carry on garment bag something like this http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-Platinum-Rolling-Garment/dp/B00BUS09F2/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nooooo never buy anything but the crew line.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Car...avelpro+crew+10

When mine dies, I will replace it with a B&R of the same approximate type.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nooooo never buy anything but the crew line.

But be aware that the crew line can weigh, empty, the better half of you plebe carry-on allowance in Y.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone ever fly Norwegian Air Shuttle? They come up on ITA but not on Expedia etc, and they are significantly less expensive to fly to Europe (like $500 per ticket).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Anyone ever fly Norwegian Air Shuttle? They come up on ITA but not on Expedia etc, and they are significantly less expensive to fly to Europe (like $500 per ticket).

I have not flown them, but they are the low-cost experience so don't expect a lot of frills - the lowest fare class does not include meals, checked luggage, or a seat assignment. That being said, it's on new metal (787s) and it can't be that horrendous if you know what you are getting in to.

The big issue in my mind is what happens when an aircraft is scratched and the flight doesn't go out? I don't think there's a lot of reciprocity, and it could take a while to sort out since they do not have daily frequencies on all their routes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The big issue in my mind is what happens when an aircraft is scratched and the flight doesn't go out? I don't think there's a lot of reciprocity, and it could take a while to sort out since they do not have daily frequencies on all their routes.

Yeah, I've been doing some more reading on Flyertalk and that seems like the main complaint. They might have a single weekly flight between a city pair, and you might wait a couple days to fly out if that plane goes bad. OK if you just want cheap, but not a great way to start a vacation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

more reading on Flyertalk

Condolences.

I do think that if you are a filthy backpacking hippie or something that it's perfect - kind of like a nice modern version of Laker.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Posting from 34k feet somewhere over OK on a transcon between ATL and LAX. First time in cattle class on a 767, and it's not too bad. Better than an 757 for sure, which is what I'm looking at for my redeye on Thursday night/Friday morning between LAX and ATL.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

smackfu posted:

I've flown them intra-Europe only (SXF-OSL) and as long as you're aware what you're going to get, it's not that bad. They have very limited pitch (legroom) so I would absolutely pony up the seat fee and snag an exit row.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I guess they are unusual since they are a budget airline that flies intra-Europe *and* trans-Atlantic. So if you want to go to a smaller city that doesn't have any direct US flights, they still can get you there in two hops from the East Coast, just like any bigger other airline.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Greetings biz travel thread, I am currently sitting on an old af regional jet and the entire back of the seat in front of me is covered in gingery cat hair.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

puchu posted:

I'm really curious but what you are doing and/or where are you going that requires this? The only things that come to my mind are actually moving, you are a tailor, or you are an aspiring suit model.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Xguard86 posted:

I'm really curious but what you are doing and/or where are you going that requires this? The only things that come to my mind are actually moving, you are a tailor, or you are an aspiring suit model.

Maybe he's just upholding the social contract.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ynglaur posted:

Maybe he's just upholding the social contract.

On an overnight flight only a slob would leave the plane in the same suit he boarded in.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Now I know why dudes race forward to be first to board in first, so they can clog the closet with their 20 suits they need to bring.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Xguard86 posted:

I'm moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Uncle Jam posted:

Now I know why dudes race forward to be first to board in first, so they can clog the closet with their 20 suits they need to bring.

It's all clear now.

To change the topic, I'm pretty binary on that. If I checked my bag and just have a small backpack or briefcase with me, I'm doing my best to be the last person on the plane, especially on an RJ. If I'm carrying on and need to put a bag up in the overhead I'm going to try to be one of the first handful of people on, especially if I'm in one of the first few rows. Gotta get there before the assholes who put his/her bag in sideways and then puts their coat next to it, taking up a whole bin and forcing me to put my bag back 10 rows.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 22, 2015