Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mean the technology could definitely stand to have a few more features, like a number screen that shows an exact number of hours of sunlight and maybe an app that tells you what times of day get the most sun/shade, but calling it a “useless product” is a bit extreme. For one thing, not everybody can just go outside and hold their hand out in the sun once every hour for 12 hours a day. Some people have jobs.

... I don’t, but you get what I mean.

Marchegiana posted:

I think it's also worth mentioning that the native dogwoods (Cornus florida) are very, very slow growing even under ideal conditions. I have one I planted about 5 years ago, it was 4 feet tall then and it's 6 feet tall now. Whereas the Kousa dogwood I planted 3 years ago is already more than double the size of the native one.

That may be, but there’s a fine line between “slow growing” and “not growing at all plus almost zero leaves” and ours has been in the latter category for at least a year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I came up with a solution to my dogwood sunlight problem: Plant a 10-to-20 ft ornamental tree in the path of the sunlight to provide shade.

Are there any ornamental maple trees out there that will tolerate a little less than partial shade? IIRC most Japanese maples need partial shade and hate full sun, but I’m seeing a couple on Home Depot’s website that say they’ll take a bit more sun (though it’s Home Depot’s website, so that may be bullshit).

EDIT: P.S. Here’s a photo of that tulip tree I mentioned.

Pardon the angle, I had to frame it so it wouldn’t show too much identifying poo poo about my house. I’m not really sure how helpful it’ll be.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 2, 2019

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's . . . not what I envisioned when you said tulip tree. I was imagining a Liriodendron, or tulip poplar, but that actually looks like a tulip magnolia. In which case it will never be a tree, just a large showy shrub.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Marchegiana posted:

That's . . . not what I envisioned when you said tulip tree. I was imagining a Liriodendron, or tulip poplar, but that actually looks like a tulip magnolia. In which case it will never be a tree, just a large showy shrub.

common names am I right

I thought saucer magnolias could get pretty large though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Marchegiana posted:

They’re not big. My town is full of them and I think they normally max out at about 15 or 20 ft.

Wikipedia says it’s called a saucer magnolia. We’ve always called them tulip trees.

Also after I asked that question about maple trees and sun, I went out and saw a whole bunch of ornamental maples in people’s yards that were in full sun and seemed to be loving it. They weren’t huge, maybe like 10 ft on average, and I’d like something slightly bigger, but they were doing good.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 2, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Just got back from running errands and seriously there’s so loving many Japanese maple trees sitting out in full sun in my neighborhood. What the gently caress? I always thought Japanese maples were partial shade only trees.

EDIT: I know they’re Japanese maples because I actually got out of my car and checked the leaves on one to be sure (thanks, Abilify!). I should probably be thankful I didn’t get shot.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 3, 2019

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Any green leafed Japanese maple that doesn't have the really lacy leaves should be fine in full sun, just avoid the yellow or red ones.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

fuzzy_logic posted:

Any green leafed Japanese maple that doesn't have the really lacy leaves should be fine in full sun, just avoid the yellow or red ones.

Literally all of the ones I saw in full sun were the red ones.

Although now I’m thinking about scrapping the maple entirely and planting a cherry tree instead, because Home Depot seems to think certain cultivars of cherry tree grow really well in Texas, in addition to being more sun tolerant, more drought tolerant, more disease resistant, and generally more all around kickass than Japanese maples, plus they smell good and attract birds and butterflies. gently caress it, tons of houses in my area have little red Japanese maples, but I could be the only person in my neighborhood, maybe even my entire town, to have a loving cherry tree.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 3, 2019

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I have other tree questions.

About 3 years ago, my parents planted two trees in out front yard, a tulip tree and a dogwood tree. The tulip tree is in the middle of the lawn and has hella leaves and flowers. The dogwood tree is in a patch of jasmine, has never bloomed once, is currently a short bare stick with maybe five tiny leaves on it total, and for all I know might be dead now, and I’m trying to figure out why.

Location is not the problem. It’s in the exact same spot where there used to be a much bigger dogwood that may have predated us at this house and bloomed like crazy every year, but was sadly killed by ants (btw gently caress all ants, everywhere on earth, forever) and cut down about a decade ago. However, that older dogwood was planted long before the jasmine surrounding it was, whereas this current one went in the ground long after the jasmine had established itself.

I’m wondering if the jasmine is keeping the dogwood tree from growing by hogging nutrients and/or taking up all the space in the soil. Could this be what’s happening?

I’d also like some tips for pruning the tulip tree, because right now it’s more like a short little tulip bush.

For the dogwood, it could be one of several things. Nobody watered it, watered it too much, it had rot from the nursery, you all didn't splay out its roots when planting it...

You've obviously never grown peonies.

Go ahead, start trimming that tulip tree into a tree. You can safely remove a third of a crown from a tree each year.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Literally all of the ones I saw in full sun were the red ones.

Although now I’m thinking about scrapping the maple entirely and planting a cherry tree instead, because Home Depot seems to think certain cultivars of cherry tree grow really well in Texas, in addition to being more sun tolerant, more drought tolerant, more disease resistant, and generally more all around kickass than Japanese maples, plus they smell good and attract birds and butterflies. gently caress it, tons of houses in my area have little red Japanese maples, but I could be the only person in my neighborhood, maybe even my entire town, to have a loving cherry tree.

Why not both?

Anyway, you might also consider hitting up a nursery for a cherry tree with multiple cultivars so you don’t have to worry if you have a self pollinating cultivar or not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Solkanar512 posted:

Why not both?

We only have enough room for two trees in this spot, and my dad really wants one of those to be a dogwood.

Speaking of dogwood, here’s a pic of the one in my yard so y’all can diagnose what’s wrong with it/tell me if it’s dead or not. It’s about 3 years old now I think. Note the perfectly healthy tulip tree saucer magnolia in the background, also 3 years old.
[timg][/timg]
Close-up of the few leaves it has.
[timg][/timg]

I’ll probably need to delete these pics in a bit, so if anybody quotes this post then please don’t include the photos in the quote. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Aaaaaand snipped!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 8, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The day is finally here

No more nights in the 40s means I can take all the gatdang tropicals outside. Half of my living room is human-sized philodendrons in the winter.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The wind has been blowing my tomato saplings every which way this week. I want to put down some stakes to help them grow until they start to reach the lowest ring of the cage, but am not sure what to tie them with. Don't have clips or anything handy, was thinking I would use some of the thin grocery store rubber bands? Get around the plant with one pass and then loop it over the stake to "tighten" it just enough to keep it upright. Am I asking for the plants to tear themselves to shreds on the band?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
After a good few weeks of high temperatures in the UK, the frost returned with a vengeance this morning. Given all the plants that the shops have started to sell, I wonder how much bedding plant carnage there was...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I have a pretty large backyard with tons of sun in the PNW and in an effort to get rid of as much lawn as possible, I've dedicated a good portion of it to a grove of different Japanese maples. This is going to be a multi-year project, given how loving expensive they are, but I'm hoping folks wouldn't mind gratuitous pictures as the leaves change color throughout the year.

Given that the yard is on the eastern side and isn't shaded by other neighboring trees, my first phase is to start growing larger, sun tolerate varieties then as they develop over the years, start adding in the smaller dwarf varieties to get a multilayered wall of ever changing color.

So far I only have a Sango Kaku (Coral Bark), but it's currently 6' and was only $40 at Costco, which is an absolute steal. It's already starting to leaf out! :D At this phase I'm also looking at adding Autumn Moon, Osakuzuki or Shishigashira (Lion's Head). I'll likely have those potted in containers, as I'm looking to buy those rather small. Aoyagi (Green Coral) would also be a nice contrast to the Sango.

Anyway, it's really exciting exploring this cultivar, since the only one I ever saw growing up was Crimson Queen (dome shaped tree with lots of reddish to crimson leaves. Cats love hiding under them! ANyone else doing anything similar?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyway, it's really exciting exploring this cultivar, since the only one I ever saw growing up was Crimson Queen (dome shaped tree with lots of reddish to crimson leaves. Cats love hiding under them! ANyone else doing anything similar?

No but that's a hell of a project and I'm looking forward to follow along with the pics!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’m jealous of everyone living some place that’s warm enough to garden right now. In New Hampshire it’s just getting to be about time to clean things up, but no planting outside yet.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I’m jealous of everyone living some place that’s warm enough to garden right now. In New Hampshire it’s just getting to be about time to clean things up, but no planting outside yet.

Oh it is chilly and very windy and I'm fully expecting some of my plants to fall to the weather, but its worth the few bucks here and there of loss to me to get such a huge headstart on the season. I'm pruning things very very aggressively to combat damage from the cold and the wind, so far i've just lost some basil to the wind and one tomato sapling stem broke but the thing is still (seemingly) going.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I. M. Gei posted:

We only have enough room for two trees in this spot, and my dad really wants one of those to be a dogwood.

Speaking of dogwood, here’s a pic of the one in my yard so y’all can diagnose what’s wrong with it/tell me if it’s dead or not. It’s about 3 years old now I think. Note the perfectly healthy tulip tree saucer magnolia in the background, also 3 years old.

Don't know if it's in north Texas yet or not, but maybe Dogwood anthracnose?

I've lost 3 pink dogwood to it so far. Looks a bit like fireblight that works its way up from the base of the tree.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it too late in the year to plant a fruiting cherry or peach tree if I live in Zone 8B? Would anything bad happen if I do? Please say no.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Yea Belgium has 2 nights of ~1-3c weather tonight and tomorrow, but this may be the last of the real cold and I've already been working with the shrubs and hardier things. I'm from NH too so it's a nice change to be out in the garden in Feb and March

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hexigrammus posted:

Don't know if it's in north Texas yet or not, but maybe Dogwood anthracnose?

I've lost 3 pink dogwood to it so far. Looks a bit like fireblight that works its way up from the base of the tree.

I don’t think this is the culprit. According to the USDA Forest Service, dogwood anthracnose hasn’t reached Texas at all. It’s generally spread more northeast than southwest since 1992. As of now, it hasn’t even touched Arkansas or Louisiana, and it’s only just barely cracked the eastern edge of Missouri.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 3, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t think this is the culprit. According to the USDA Forest Service, dogwood anthracnose hasn’t reached Texas at all. It’s generally spread more northeast than southwest since 1992. As of now, it hasn’t even touched Arkansas or Louisiana, and it’s only just barely cracked the eastern edge of Missouri.

That's good news, anthracnose sucks. Pink dogwoods were my late mother's favourite tree but I might have to give up on growing any in her memory.

I'm in Zone 8 Cool Maritime and haven't had a problem transplanting potted fruit trees into late spring /early summer. Probably not ideal but that's when the nurseries have them on sale. :shrug: I always prepare the soil well and keep it moist until the tree is established.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hexigrammus posted:

That's good news, anthracnose sucks. Pink dogwoods were my late mother's favourite tree but I might have to give up on growing any in her memory.

Whatever the issue is, I hope we figure it out soon. I can’t convince my dad to cut down that tree unless it’s dead or infected with something contagious, and I really want to plant something else in that spot. Also I need to delete those pics at some point.

btw thanks to this thread for being patient with my posting deluge, since I’m juggling like 3 questions at once. Abilify is loving magic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have bought a fruiting cherry tree.

It will be here in 1 or 2 weeks.

Questions:
1. What do I need to do to my planting spot while I wait for the tree to arrive?
2. When I test my soil, do I need to take a sample below the surface, or is just a ground level sample enough? EDIT: The testing kit I got says to get a sample 4 inches below the surface.
3. How do I test my soil’s drainage?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 4, 2019

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The day is finally here

No more nights in the 40s means I can take all the gatdang tropicals outside. Half of my living room is human-sized philodendrons in the winter.

Weather's been a tease here. Highs in the 70's, but on monday it was 36'F with wind-chill down to 21'F :mad: I brought everything in but forgot about my poor, poor hibiscus. Thankfully 24 hours inside in warm, windowed sun seems to have snapped it right back.

That being said, forecasted lows looks above 50'F for the next 10 days so we might finally be there. I actually got a bit cheeky and left them out despite a forecast of 44'F last night, but nothing seems worse-for-wear this morning.

Speaking of Tropicals, I think my Leafy Bois may be afflicted by fluoride toxicity. Does anyone have any suggestions for house plant water sources, besides either just buying a ton of distilled water at the store (doable but annoying/costly) or collecting rainwater (not practical in the winter)? I guess I could try using harvested rainwater until it's freezing, at which point they shouldn't need *that* much water and I could supplement them with some store-bought distilled, but I'm curious what other people do. No, I do not love my plants enough to buy them a reverse-osmosis filter (unless they are significantly cheaper than what I have found).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is the cherry tree I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGJLPX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked for Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries. :getin:

I’m a little worried the company stopped taking orders before I bought it though. They posted something on HomeDepot.com that said they stopped taking them on March 31st. :ohdear:

I also did my first soil test yesterday. 6.5 pH (perfect for cherry trees), but it’s low on N and just okay on P and possibly K (the testing powder on the K test settled at the top of my solution and I reshook it before reading it), so I need to reload all of that. The soil is thick and a little on the sandy side, so once I mix in some potting soil I should be good on drainage, although I am wondering what ratio of native soil to new soil I should go with.

EDIT: How do organic nonselective herbicides affect soil pH? I need to clear out a circle for this tree after I do a sunlight test.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo I’m littering this thread with questions. I might have to start taking some of this to PMs.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 4, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

This is the cherry tree I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGJLPX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked for Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries. :getin:

I’m a little worried the company stopped taking orders before I bought it though. They posted something on HomeDepot.com that said they stopped taking them on March 31st. :ohdear:

I also did my first soil test yesterday. 6.5 pH (perfect for cherry trees), but it’s low on N and just okay on P and possibly K (the testing powder on the K test settled at the top of my solution and I reshook it before reading it), so I need to reload all of that. The soil is thick and a little on the sandy side, so once I mix in some potting soil I should be good on drainage, although I am wondering what ratio of native soil to new soil I should go with.

I think they're just having trouble fulfilling orders on volume. I have two of their dwarf cherry trees on their way to me right now, interested to see how they do. I would totally roll the dice on their 3-in-1 varieties if I had a yard to plant it in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nephzinho posted:

I think they're just having trouble fulfilling orders on volume. I have two of their dwarf cherry trees on their way to me right now, interested to see how they do. I would totally roll the dice on their 3-in-1 varieties if I had a yard to plant it in.

Are your dwarf cherries different varieties? According to their specs on Amazon and Home Depot, their X-in-1 trees are all dwarf-sized, so depending on what varieties you ordered you might’ve been able to get them both in a single dwarf tree.

I’m still curious about that dogwood too. Apparently it cost like $200, so if it’s infected with some contagious disease we need to know about it. I really fuckin want to put a flowering cherry tree in that spot, you have no fuckin idea.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 4, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Are your dwarf cherries different varieties? According to their specs on Amazon and Home Depot, their X-in-1 trees are all dwarf-sized, so depending on what varieties you ordered you might’ve been able to get them both in a single dwarf tree.

Didn't realize the X-in-1's were dwarf as well, may go back for the 2-in-1 apple tree then as I have 1 large planter left. Looking forward to the disappointment and failure in a year or two when they're busting out of the planters trying to grow, and the ensuing pulleys I will have to set up to get them off my roof and into a truck to transplant to my brother's yard.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nephzinho posted:

Didn't realize the X-in-1's were dwarf as well, may go back for the 2-in-1 apple tree then as I have 1 large planter left. Looking forward to the disappointment and failure in a year or two when they're busting out of the planters trying to grow, and the ensuing pulleys I will have to set up to get them off my roof and into a truck to transplant to my brother's yard.

THEY HAVE 2-IN-1 APPLES!!?

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK now I wanna know if anyone makes a 2-in-1 peach tree. If I had a 2-in-1 apple tree and a 2-in-1 dwarf peach tree that grows Red Havens and Elbertas I’d be fuckin set.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 4, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

e;nm

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK now I wanna know if anyone makes a 2-in-1 peach tree. If I had a 2-in-1 apple tree and a 2-in-1 dwarf peach tree that grows Red Havens and Elbertas I’d be fuckin set.

I have a 4 in 1 apple

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Amazon says my cherry tree will be here on Wednesday.

Is there anything I need to do to get the planting spot ready before it arrives?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Just wait until you see the 3 in 1 Espaliers...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How about a 250-in-one?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2437247/250-varieties-apple-tree--thanks-bit-hard-grafting-years.html

Apologies for the Daily Heil link.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hi folks. I'm incredibly new to growing plants, I'm looking for advice.

I live in southern AZ, so hot as hell in the coming months. I have an awning in the front yard, and a planter bed below it, in front of a window. I'd like to plant something there that will survive without any direct sunlight, but can withstand hundred degree weather during the extremely warm months. It does also freeze during winter, but I can cover anything I plant there. My question: what can I plant there?

I'd also like to figure out if there are any trees I can plant that have cool looking foliage that will survive the summer months?

Thanks!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_40_Fruit

I always preferred "Daily Fail".

Ubiquitus posted:

Hi folks. I'm incredibly new to growing plants, I'm looking for advice.

I live in southern AZ, so hot as hell in the coming months. I have an awning in the front yard, and a planter bed below it, in front of a window. I'd like to plant something there that will survive without any direct sunlight, but can withstand hundred degree weather during the extremely warm months. It does also freeze during winter, but I can cover anything I plant there. My question: what can I plant there?

I'd also like to figure out if there are any trees I can plant that have cool looking foliage that will survive the summer months?

Thanks!

What is your USDA Zone? Arizona has 6 full zones, while those without mountains usually have 1 or 2.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 5, 2019

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Whenever I transplant succulents, I give them a deeep watering. Recently when I did this to a huge aloe, its lower leaves became soft and droopy. Should I not give transplants a deep watering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Whenever I transplant succulents, I give them a deeep watering. Recently when I did this to a huge aloe, its lower leaves became soft and droopy. Should I not give transplants a deep watering?

Aloe doesn't keep its leaves forever. Is it just the time for those leaves to wither?