Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Got my iPad Air 2 yesterday, but trying to set Gmail up is a pain. I keep hitting the security trap even though it really shouldn't. I've tried restarting, verifying the account through iOS Safari, even deleting and recreating the mail account. It's really annoying and I can't get it to properly work. :smith:

Do you have two factor auth set up? Have you made an app password for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

tuyop posted:

Do you have two factor auth set up? Have you made an app password for it?

I don't have 2FA set up for Google, but I do restrict sign in to "less secure devices". My iPhone 5S can still get my emails with that on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm talking myself into getting myself an iPad for Xmas. It seems like my choices boil down to getting the iPad Air 2 or mini 2? I'm leaning towards the mini. I basically want a tablet so I can play iOS games instead of waiting years for an Android port, read comics and post on the couch. The cheaper the better obviously, but I'd be willing to spring a few extra bucks for faster response time and usability/quality of life things. Also, since I haven't bought an Apple product in ages, I was wondering if there usually are price differences or is it just an availability thing between buying online, in an Apple store or going to a different shop?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Xtanstic posted:

...read comics...

If comics are important to you you'll really want the larger iPad Air 2 over the Mini. The Air display is slightly smaller than a typical comic book page. The Mini would be significantly smaller.

If the rumoured iPad Pro/Max/whatever ever comes to be it'll really shine for magazines and comic books.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

I'm talking myself into getting myself an iPad for Xmas. It seems like my choices boil down to getting the iPad Air 2 or mini 2? I'm leaning towards the mini. I basically want a tablet so I can play iOS games instead of waiting years for an Android port, read comics and post on the couch. The cheaper the better obviously, but I'd be willing to spring a few extra bucks for faster response time and usability/quality of life things. Also, since I haven't bought an Apple product in ages, I was wondering if there usually are price differences or is it just an availability thing between buying online, in an Apple store or going to a different shop?

I'd get the air 2 at this point, handling it is very nice and it now only weighs like 120g more than the mini, which is like a mini with a case. The kicker is that the new mini is on hardware a generation behind right now, maybe because Apple wants you to get a huge phone instead of a small tablet.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ah dang the lower price of the mini was really attractive but I am worried about getting frustrated at a smaller screen. I guess I'll have to go test both out in a store and see if I'm willing to pay extra. Concerning the rumors of the iPad pro... there's no way it would drop before Christmas anyway, right? It's way too close to the Holiday season already? I know nothing about Apple product cycles except for http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Xtanstic posted:

Ah dang the lower price of the mini was really attractive but I am worried about getting frustrated at a smaller screen. I guess I'll have to go test both out in a store and see if I'm willing to pay extra. Concerning the rumors of the iPad pro... there's no way it would drop before Christmas anyway, right? It's way too close to the Holiday season already? I know nothing about Apple product cycles except for http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

If you want one of these things, just buy it now. There is going to be a new version of the ipad every couple of years for the foreseeable future and waiting for the next one is going to turn in to an endless thing. Just bite the bullet, you'll like whatever you end up with!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The iPad Pro may never actually come out as just a bigger iPad, because of the simple fact that the MacBook Air and iPad Air still lead their markets, mostly in part because Apple don't fragment their offerings that much. I'm more convinced that Apple would release a 64GB MacBook Air 11" at $749.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Are there any recommended repair places, or should I just send my iPad mini in to Apple? Our new dog got a taste for gadgets and bit on the right side about halfway up, cracking the glass and ruining the screen.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

My advice to anyone trying to decide between the air 2 and anything else, just get the air 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arcella posted:

Are there any recommended repair places, or should I just send my iPad mini in to Apple? Our new dog got a taste for gadgets and bit on the right side about halfway up, cracking the glass and ruining the screen.

Just use Apple.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
So has anyone else noticed occasional loud popping noises from the speaker on the air2 before video playback starts? I also get high pitched squeaking noises sometimes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Solly posted:

So has anyone else noticed occasional loud popping noises from the speaker on the air2 before video playback starts? I also get high pitched squeaking noises sometimes.

That is completely normal behavior and happens on all iOS devices.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Do the refurbished mini 2's go back and forth between being in stock and not or are they gone for good?

Wanted to pick one up but they're out of stock.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cbear posted:

Do the refurbished mini 2's go back and forth between being in stock and not or are they gone for good?

Wanted to pick one up but they're out of stock.
They'll go in and out of stock as stock becomes available.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Jose Oquendo posted:

That is completely normal behavior and happens on all iOS devices.

I may be a bit slow but I'm sensing some subtle sarcasm here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not that subtle IMO.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is an iPad a decent compromise for someone that wants a tablet to draw on but has no computer and doesn't like Windows 8?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Quite honestly iPads are terrible to draw on compared to anything with a stylus. I love my Air but my SurfacePro3 blows it away when it comes to artwork. The pressure sensitive stylus rocks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress, doubling the budget is out of the question. :( What about pairing an iPad with one of the third party styluses available?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
The problem is the touch screen just isn't that precise. I experimented with a few different styluses and all they did was replicate a finger. My artist wife gave up trying to draw on hers. I have some friends who have made some impressive drawings with a Samsung Galaxy note and stylus.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmmmm... that may be a compromise to make. I'll look in to the Note. Thanks :)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A drawing tablet is not that expensive and will actually work well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fleshweasel posted:

A drawing tablet is not that expensive and will actually work well.

No computer.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I think it's about time to upgrade from my 3rd gen iPad. I'm trying to decide between the Air 2 and the Mini 2. I use my iPad about 50% for web browsing, 30% for iOS gaming, and 20% for video. I also have the iPhone 5 which I prefer for some games with more complex or fast paced controls, like Wayward Souls.

I've heard that the Mini has a better form factor for gaming, but I definitely use the iPad more for web browsing and video than gaming, even if gaming is big for me. Is it worth it to get the mini or should I just stick with the full size?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iPad isn't really a computer replacement once you actually want to do things. It's just a nice thing to have. Save your money for a Mac and a drawing tablet in my opinion.

I love the Air 2. The smaller screen of the mini really isn't as good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I'd get the air 2 at this point, handling it is very nice and it now only weighs like 120g more than the mini, which is like a mini with a case. The kicker is that the new mini is on hardware a generation behind right now, maybe because Apple wants you to get a huge phone instead of a small tablet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Is an iPad a decent compromise for someone that wants a tablet to draw on but has no computer and doesn't like Windows 8?
Well compromise is the key word there. It can work and I got used to it myself, but as mentioned it's not ideal.

Crayvex posted:

The problem is the touch screen just isn't that precise. I experimented with a few different styluses and all they did was replicate a finger. My artist wife gave up trying to draw on hers. I have some friends who have made some impressive drawings with a Samsung Galaxy note and stylus.
Might be another option there if the person doesn't particularly want/need iOS for anything, there's some cheapish 8-10" Samsung/Android tablets with pen I think (...no clue about quality though). Stuff like Autodesk Sketchbook is available on Android too for the software side of things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fleshweasel posted:

iPad isn't really a computer replacement once you actually want to do things. It's just a nice thing to have. Save your money for a Mac and a drawing tablet in my opinion.

I love the Air 2. The smaller screen of the mini really isn't as good.
It replaced a laptop for me, but I absolutely would still need a computer at home, just no need for a portable one any more.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Just got an air 2. It's utterly, bizarrely thin, like something out of a sci-fi film. Already replaced most of what I did with my laptop but are there any apps that are utter essentials/are generally amazing that I should download, bearing in mind this is the first iPad I've ever owned.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Generic Monk posted:

Just got an air 2. It's utterly, bizarrely thin, like something out of a sci-fi film. Already replaced most of what I did with my laptop but are there any apps that are utter essentials/are generally amazing that I should download, bearing in mind this is the first iPad I've ever owned.

There's an iOS App Thread that will have some good stuff. But hey, I'll toss some interesting ones in that I like:

- Evernote (excellent note keeping app)
- Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are free
- Pushbullet (push things to your iPhone/iPad from your browser and other apps)
- 1Password (God's password manager)
- Prompt (SSH client)
- Overcast (Podcast client)

Also, if you live in the United States and have a large-ish library system, check them out. My local library (Seattle Public Library) offers free magazines through Zinio on my iPad. They also let me check out books that I can read with the Kindle app for free (not sure if it works with iBooks, but I didn't see the option on their website).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CoasterMaster posted:

There's an iOS App Thread that will have some good stuff. But hey, I'll toss some interesting ones in that I like:

- 1Password (God's password manager) LastPass
- Prompt (SSH client)

Also, if you live in the United States and have a large-ish library system, check them out. My local library (Seattle Public Library) offers free magazines through Zinio on my iPad. They also let me check out books that I can read with the Kindle app for free (not sure if it works with iBooks, but I didn't see the option on their website).

FTFY. Also, Goodreader is on sale and you'd be insane to pass it up if you do extensive PDF work. This is like my primary use for my iPad so it's essential, along with Notability for many things.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CoasterMaster posted:

- 1Password (God's password manager) LastPass 1Password
- Prompt (SSH client)

actually, 1password is much better, so there's that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Generic Monk posted:

Enviro-Bear.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I get this keyboard fuckup pretty often. Maybe it comes from using the app in one orientation, leaving, then coming back in another orientation?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Also, Downcast > Overcast. :colbert:

…although, that all said, an app with a rotating piece of poo poo would be better than Podcast.app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

fleshweasel posted:

I get this keyboard fuckup pretty often. Maybe it comes from using the app in one orientation, leaving, then coming back in another orientation?
Do you mean having it split in half? You can do that by using two fingers to pull the keyboard apart, and then do the reverse to put it back together again.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do you mean having it split in half? You can do that by using two fingers to pull the keyboard apart, and then do the reverse to put it back together again.
No the SA shortcuts overlapping it. Haven't messed with it much but I've recreated it by just doing compose post, then split keyboard (probably works if you're already like this), then loading another thread (or tapping on same thread) and hitting compose post again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A word of warning, never take your iPad with Smart Cover into a mechanics workshop and put it on the bench while you look under your car.

I picked up a shitload of iron filings from a clutch job or something and my red Smart Cover is now covered in grime. If you try to clean it it just gets worse.

Although kind of cool that if you leave it for a few days it all piles up on the magnets again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

A word of warning, never take your iPad with Smart Cover into a mechanics workshop and put it on the bench while you look under your car.

I picked up a shitload of iron filings from a clutch job or something and my red Smart Cover is now covered in grime. If you try to clean it it just gets worse.

Although kind of cool that if you leave it for a few days it all piles up on the magnets again.

The ipad itself will collect metal filings along the sides of the screens where the magnets hang out. Try to keep your luxury tablet away from metal filings hth.