Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So you really have no idea about how the World Wars got started.

So what happened to all this logic? Where's my predicate calculus?

Edit : why, exactly, should I die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

AddMEonFacebook posted:

It's commonly held here, in the United States, that Germany is responsible for the wars through acts of aggression. In WW1, the invasion of France of Belgium, and in WW2, the invasion of Poland and France. I didn't think I really had to mention that. I feel like I'm teaching second grade and you're getting a phd?
I'm not asking if Germany was responsible for the wars. I know Germany was responsible for the wars. I'm asking, in no uncertain terms, how and why you believe that Hugo Boss and Rheinmetall still being in business in 2014 means that the Kaiser caused World War 1. Have I been speaking gibberish? Are you illiterate? This isn't a difficult question.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
So you're German and you want to defend Germany's war crimes for the last century? That's great.

You cannot prove blame for wars with logic alone. Logic is just a tool. Epistemology encompasses much more than logic alone. You couldn't teach Ethics, though or Aesthetics. That's why they stick you in logic, which anyone can teach, and you're still in university lol

Xiahou Dun posted:

Edit : why, exactly, should I die?

I'm meaner than I look, boy.

Malleum posted:

I'm not asking if Germany was responsible for the wars. I know Germany was responsible for the wars. I'm asking, in no uncertain terms, how and why you believe that Hugo Boss and Rheinmetall still being in business in 2014 means that the Kaiser caused World War 1. Have I been speaking gibberish? Are you illiterate? This isn't a difficult question.

That's not what I'm saying at all. They shouldn't have been allowed to stay in business after the wars. The fact they are in business means they could and likely are still supporting programs similar to what happened prior to the two wars, including but not limited to the poisoning of foreign countries with cleverly disguised chemical warfare programs.

Wake up sheeple...

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 28, 2014

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

AddMEonFacebook posted:

So you're German and you want to defend Germany's war crimes for the last century? That's great.

You cannot prove blame for wars with logic alone. Logic is just a tool. Epistemology encompasses much more than logic alone. You couldn't teach Ethics, though or Aesthetics.

That's why they stick you in logic, which anyone can teach, and you're still in university living off your parents, lol.
Are you actually reading the content of the posts in this thread or are you just replying to imaginary words that the rest of us can't see?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Malleum posted:

Are you actually reading the content of the posts in this thread or are you just replying to imaginary words that the rest of us can't see?

I'm replying to your stupid rear end. Get owned some more.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yes, I'm German.

Yes, I teach college. (This is bad???)

No, I'm not defending war crimes. On anyone's side. (Which I will freely acknowledge we did some awful, terrible poo poo. To the point where I'm glad of being required to go to a camp and sit in the "ovens". poo poo was awful)

How does this in any way advance your point? This is entirely specious.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Xiahou Dun posted:

No, I'm not defending war crimes. On anyone's side. (Which I will freely acknowledge we did some awful, terrible poo poo. To the point where I'm glad of being required to go to a camp and sit in the "ovens". poo poo was awful)

How does this in any way advance your point? This is entirely specious.

Well, you basically just ceded with the first paragraph I quoted here. The only difference today is people are more clever and it's a lot harder to pin down the really evil people. There is still genocide. There is still chemical and nuclear warfare and massive armies, beyond imagining. It really takes quite a bit of education to understand it.

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 28, 2014

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

AddMEonFacebook posted:

The fact they are in business means they could and likely are still supporting programs similar to what happened prior to the two wars, including but not limited to the poisoning of foreign countries with cleverly disguised chemical warfare programs.
How? Seriously, how does simply existing imply culpability in chemical weapons programs? What link does Hugo Boss, a clothes manufacturer, have to flouride? What possible use does Rheinmetall, a company that makes loving cannons, the most unsubtle weapons in the world, have to the shadowy cabal manufacturing chemical agents that are not delivered by cannons? I know you like to assert things, but have some loving proof of them. There should be some loving steps between "they exist" and "therefor they are up to some nasty poo poo".

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I'm replying to your stupid rear end. Get owned some more.
Are you a child? Do you believe that this is a sick burn?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Malleum posted:

How? Seriously, how does simply existing imply culpability in chemical weapons programs? What link does Hugo Boss, a clothes manufacturer, have to flouride? What possible use does Rheinmetall, a company that makes loving cannons, the most unsubtle weapons in the world, have to the shadowy cabal manufacturing chemical agents that are not delivered by cannons? I know you like to assert things, but have some loving proof of them. There should be some loving steps between "they exist" and "therefor they are up to some nasty poo poo".

These are just ridiculous straw-mans. Obviously business is a lot more complicated than that. The fact is the business interests of Germany were helped, not hindered by the wars. I'm done with you. This other guy at least is sensible. I expect arrogance, but I can't handle these stupid straw-mans anymore tonight. See you later.

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 28, 2014

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Well, you basically just ceded with the first paragraph I quoted here. The only difference today is people are more clever and it's a lot harder to pin down the really evil people. There is still genocide. There is still chemical and nuclear warfare and massive armies, beyond imagining. It really takes quite a bit of education to understand it.

????

How the gently caress is this relevant?

You also burned an entire quarter of my family to death (civilians) in Dresden.

Yes. Bad things are bad. And?

Still waiting on that real logic.

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Xiahou Dun posted:

????

How the gently caress is this relevant?

You also burned an entire quarter of my family to death (civilians) in Dresden.

Yes. Bad things are bad. And?

Still waiting on that real logic.

Relevant to what? I'm the one who's controlling the conversation. I don't really know what you mean. Whatever I say is relevant in this thread because I'm the only one actually defending conspiracy theorists. Everyone else is saying close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears. You literally ceded every point I wanted you to already. What else do I have to do?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
I can't help but be disappointed. I was really looking forward to understanding the earth-shattering truths that he would lay upon my neophyte mind had he simply explained them. Is wishing to know the steps from A to C really so egregiously insulting? How can you demand us unenlightened Sheeple think for ourselves and ask questions if you can't stand up to such basic inquiry?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

Malleum posted:

I can't help but be disappointed. I was really looking forward to understanding the earth-shattering truths that he would lay upon my neophyte mind had he simply explained them. Is wishing to know the steps from A to C really so egregiously insulting? How can you demand us unenlightened Sheeple think for ourselves and ask questions if you can't stand up to such basic inquiry?

Don't worry. I'll be back with more sourced articles, research, and strong arguments in the future, all in the name of awareness of good-will.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Don't worry. I'll be back with more sourced articles, research, and strong arguments in the future, all in the name of awareness of good-will.

...more implies that you ever presented any of those things in the first place.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
So, let me get this straight. German companies caused both world wars, and are still, today, engaged in a covert chemical war against the US, via fluoridation of drinking water. Is this a correct summary of your argument?
Because nothing you have posted supports such a claim.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

AddMEonFacebook posted:

The German economy was in ruins prior to the wars and the wars saved it, really.

I know that arguing with AddMe is hopeless, but for anybody else who's curious: at the very least in the case of World War I this is utterly false. Germany was the strongest force both economically and militarily in mainland Europe from basically its formation up to World War I. Even if you have no knowledge of the precise economic situation of Germany in the pre-war period, you can make a pretty good guess at it based on how the war went; Germany faced capable enemies on both their eastern and western borders, their south border was protected by the dubious strength of crumbling Austria-Hungary and their sea trade was completely cut off by the Royal Navy, all from day one. Despite this, they took and held a substantial amount of French territory, forced a humiliating capitulation from Russia and managed to sustain a war footing under total embargo for four years before the civilian front finally collapsed. Obviously this is a simplified retelling, but are these really the actions of an economically "ruined" country? The World War II situation is more complex because nobody could argue that Germany's economy was doing great in the early '30s but at the same time, remember that Hitler seized power in 1933 and it was not until 1938 that Germany started rattling the sabre in earnest with the Anschluss. Just like every other country affected by the depression, Germany gradually recovered - World War II was in no way a necessity to save the economy.

Basically the First and Second World Wars did nothing to help Germany's economy and everything to ruin it for decades to come after each, so I have no idea what conspiracy theory the idea that WWI and II were plots to "save" the German economy comes from. Any ideas?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Hitler was a vegetarian (more like vegetaryan :v:).

There is an increasing number of vegetarians.

The nazis are winning.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Please do. You're more annoying than amusing when you just flail about at people without ever stating a coherent argument.

You also have a gradeschooler's understanding of history if you think WW I boils down to ebil Germans.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Please do. You're more annoying than amusing when you just flail about at people without ever stating a coherent argument.

You also have a gradeschooler's understanding of history if you think WW I boils down to ebil Germans.

Did you know Hitler only had one ball and that inferiority complex made him go to war? A good urologist could have saved the jews!

Hitler also ate sugar.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CSM posted:

Apparently I missed this impressive trolling attempt. I'd still like to belatedly congratulate the author.

You summoned him again.

This is your fault!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Wow great straw-man. No. Not you, either. It's the same companies that supported the nazis and never went out of business. They continued their agenda. The German economy was in ruins prior to the wars and the wars saved it, really. So, Germany orchestrated WW1 for the sake of making a few companies a lot of money. The people of Germany wanted war because there were getting pissed on so hard financially. Germany still produces highly advanced weapons and chemicals. It worked.

The world cup: my fault for mentioning that. I don't know what it has to do with anything, really. It just shows that Germany is a strong country still, despite losing WW1 and WW2 this century.

Erm, before world war 1, unified Germany was both a new concept and also poised to become arguably the strongest European power both in terms of military strength and economic power, it consolidated a bunch of wealthy, and comparatively powerful nations and city states into a single nation, something which hadn't really happened in that part of the world before. The holy roman empire allegedly did a similar thing but in practice its feudal structure meant that its constituent states regularly fought each other. For about a century before the first world war, most European nations were very actively engaged in diplomacy to try and keep the various powerful nations from beating the snot out of each other, and for some time Germany was a major participant in that as well.

Unfortunately, a side effect of all the diplomatic talks were that there were quite a strict series of alliances and agreements between various nations which meant that when war did break out, it quickly spread and everybody became drawn into the conflict. Part of the reason Germany was able to fight such a destructive war was precisely because it has a lot of money, men, and military at the start of the conflict. It managed to prosecute a prolonged and unprecedentedly destructive conflict against what had been the most powerful nations on earth not too long before that. So saying that Germany was in ruins prior to the war is... well it's completely wrong. After the war the allied powers stripped Germany of most of its industrial and economic base which crippled the country, and it took a lot of rebuilding, as well as some unwillingness to enforce restrictions later on, for Germany to become a competitive power again. Not to mention some very new ideas about warfare that took a lot of its neighbors by surprise.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 28, 2014

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Some people are so excited about showing their extensive knowledge on a subject that they willingly engage with trolls, in the vain belief that the troll cares anything about the substance of their responses rather than the fact that informed people are responding to them at all, and thus validating their worth, and the worth of their foolish ideas. This is how conspiracy theorists thrive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Fluoride strawmen!

Hey man, I really enjoyed your work when you were pushing the "logic" tree 9/11 conspiracy thing, because there really are a lot of people in the world who are that stupid. But this last page and a half has been some pretty weak sauce trolling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that your trolling is a bad thing in and of itself. It's always useful for normal, non-crazy people to get the feel for debating with someone who is completely out of his tree. And I'm sure more than a few of the 'drink their own pee' set would react in just the manner you pretended to over the last page and a half.

Yes, it was great right up until the point you started wishing people dead. That's just tacky.

C'mon, you're better at this than that.

I, for one, would like to hear more about the horrors of electronegativity :allears:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Also nobody puts elemental fluoride in water so the chemical properties of elemental fluoride are only slightly relevant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saul Goode posted:

Some people are so excited about showing their extensive knowledge on a subject that they willingly engage with trolls, in the vain belief that the troll cares anything about the substance of their responses rather than the fact that informed people are responding to them at all, and thus validating their worth, and the worth of their foolish ideas. This is how conspiracy theorists thrive.

I may be also partly curious about how he thinks WW1 worked because it might make a killer alt/historical fanfiction.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Male Scrotum - 100%

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Saul Goode posted:

No more calls please, we have a winner!

Right the gently caress on, man.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I'm the one who's controlling the conversation.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Great straw-man.

I'm pretty sure the fluoride poison in your water is coming straight from German chemical companies, probably the same ones that supported the nazis. For the record, WW1 and WW2 were both fought against Germany, Germany won the world cup in 2014, and Germany is pissed at the US for illegal spying and torture of German citizens. Ironic that in people's attempts to dis-credit conspiracy theorists, they run themselves completely blind. Of course some people are crazy. That doesn't mean you should just watch Conan and jack off every day.

Do you think that fluoride is not poisonous? We know it is. If you took high school chemistry, you know fluoride is more electronegative than literally every other element. Just look it up for five seconds.

Keep straw-manning though. Seriously, can you find a post in the last 30 that is quoting someone real? There are all just straw-mans making up stuff that is easy to refute. You guys can't debate poo poo. All you can do is straw-man.

Um, Huh.. Yes. Listen dude, I have a standing rule in my life not to argue with people who are more insane than me, and it's served me pretty well, so I'll stick to it.

(Also, if you've followed my posts itt you'll know that I'm pretty critical of flouridation, at least because of its material toxicity, so you're kind of barking up the wrong tree)

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You summoned him again.

This is your fault!
It's not my fault that people let themselves be baited by an obvious troll.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
After logging in and seeing 65 new posts I was hoping we'd have snared another moron from the depths of SA into some new conspiracy chat.

Imagine my disappointment.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

it's well known that fluoridation was extensively used in concentration camps.

No, it's a well known hoax created by an anti-fluoride activist that has since been denied by the USHMM and the anti-fluoridation Fluoride Action Network, so whatever.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2011/oct/06/critics-water-fluoridation/truth-about-fluoride-doesnt-include-nazi-myth/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know what they make lethal injections out of?

Low sodium salt.

Actually a true fact but doesn't mean low sodium salt will kill you.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AddMEonFacebook posted:

keep straw-manning

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This whole "fluoride is a nazi plot" thing is new to me. Let me see if I understand: Nazis used concentration camps to refine the process of water fluoridation, as a method to control populations and keep them in a placid, zombie-like state. This explains Germany's continued economic prominence to this day.

Did I miss anything?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

SedanChair posted:

This whole "fluoride is a nazi plot" thing is new to me. Let me see if I understand: Nazis used concentration camps to refine the process of water fluoridation, as a method to control populations and keep them in a placid, zombie-like state. This explains Germany's continued economic prominence to this day.

Did I miss anything?

The world cup somehow relates too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

karthun posted:

The world cup somehow relates too.

Quit strawmanning!!!

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

SedanChair posted:

Quit strawmanning!!!

Or is fluoride a Nazi plot for Germany to gain and maintain dominance of FIFA as a way of smuggling out Nazi gold from Switzerland.

Makes you think.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

But what about the IOC? Surely the FIFA's sidekick is involved somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

MothraAttack posted:

No, it's a well known hoax created by an anti-fluoride activist that has since been denied by the USHMM and the anti-fluoridation Fluoride Action Network, so whatever.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2011/oct/06/critics-water-fluoridation/truth-about-fluoride-doesnt-include-nazi-myth/

Not exactly convincing. They say poo poo like, "We found this claim in a book called conspiracy theories, so clearly since it's a conspiracy theory, there is no merit." uh sure...

This is actually a tactic of propaganda. Just say it's a conspiracy theory and bam, no more discussion of it.

and this is the guy who they quote as saying it's a lie:
http://heartland.org/jay-lehr-phd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heartland_Institute

quote:

In the 1990s, the group worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question serious cancer risks to secondhand smoke, and to lobby against government public-health reforms.

So this guy works with big tobacco to say second hand smoke is okay (proven wrong with mountains of evidence), and he's the same guy this article quotes to disprove the fluoride in concentration camps story. The article tries to make this guy sound like the end-all of credibility. He's a sell-out scumbag that will say anything for a dollar. Just read that wikipedia article and see if you don't agree.

It's clear I own this thread. Stop posting second grade WW1 poo poo. WW1 isn't a conspiracy. It's a fact. We don't need your crappy paraphrased version of history. Believe me, you're not teaching anyone anything. If people want to learn more about WW1, they will look it up. I just wanted to make Germany the villain since everyone was stuck on jewish conspiracies, but it's not jews or Germans or the Chinese, it's individuals and businesses that are acting in their own self-interest that are usually the auteurs of these plots. They just use patriotism and religion because they are clever and it helps to hide them.

I'd rather you straw-man me than some non-existent person, at the very least.

AddMEonFacebook fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 28, 2014

• Locked thread