Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I just find this all stupid considering that this equipment is being installed in a power plant which is about as RF Hell as you can possibly get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

CrazyLittle posted:

netgear is... bad. the last netgear unit that i configured because the customer didn't/couldn't do it themselves was early this year, and the latest firmware was from 2011, didn't support ipv6, and each web gui page load took ~30-60 sec.

you're better off with a small sonicwall or a small cisco asa or if you're down w/ a little bit of fiddling, get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter lite. if those aren't your thing just get a tplink archer c7.

nah the NAT engines on a lot of the big ISP-supplied units is typically the cheapest poo poo they can get away with. if he's got 20+ computers he already has a switch (hopefully gigabit)

yea I guess I'll look into the cheapest Cisco router option... the cable tech guy swore the router they provided would be up to snuff but it's getting weird with 20 computers connected

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Silver Alicorn posted:

yea I guess I'll look into the cheapest Cisco router option... the cable tech guy swore the router they provided would be up to snuff but it's getting weird with 20 computers connected

once upon a time the linksys wrt54g default nat table was only 4096 entries long.

most of the edgerouters i setup have a 32k nat table configured

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well I guess the tp-link router is the one that fits our budget... I thought tp-link was a garbage brand tho? or am I thinking of linkskey

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've seen breakdowns on the internals of tp-link equipment and the build quality can be extremely poo poo however they don't seem to skimp on internal components so the SoC stuff is generally good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I just need it to be better than an arris whatever & handle up to 30 devices all spewing out UDP

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CrazyLittle posted:

get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter lite

how do these compare to mikrotik? theyre pretty price comparable and ive been curious

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver Alicorn posted:

well I guess the tp-link router is the one that fits our budget... I thought tp-link was a garbage brand tho? or am I thinking of linkskey

they used to be really cut rate stuff, but these days their mid and high end stuff is very good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

o wow that's a good price on the edgerouters too. don't really need wifi

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Raluek posted:

how do these compare to mikrotik? theyre pretty price comparable and ive been curious

both have a really good rep. ubiquiti stuff is managed through a web server interface thign so its a bit more iphoney where mikrotik is androidy. but i havent really used any mikrotik stuff before. ubiquiti stuff is good

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobbilljim posted:

both have a really good rep. ubiquiti stuff is managed through a web server interface thign so its a bit more iphoney where mikrotik is androidy. but i havent really used any mikrotik stuff before. ubiquiti stuff is good

ive used ubiquiti's airos wap stuff for years but i have no idea how good their wired stuff is. good poo poo. is there any kind of cleverness or interoperability between edgerouter and unifi ap that might make that combination more attractive than the same ap with a mikrotik?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

yeah they would all come up in the same network "site" in the UI it would be easier to configure it all / look at whats goin on in ur net. plus you get a cool diagram of your network n all that also i think some of the edgerouters n stuff have powered ports so u can just dangle the ap right off

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobbilljim posted:

yeah they would all come up in the same network "site" in the UI it would be easier to configure it all / look at whats goin on in ur net. plus you get a cool diagram of your network n all that also i think some of the edgerouters n stuff have powered ports so u can just dangle the ap right off

oh right on. since the edgerouter has a web interface and the unifi needs ~~an app~~ to configure normally, does this circumvent that and allow me to set up the wap from the edgerouter web interface?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

huh, seems not... im kind of disappointed. Some 'community' posters have noted that since they wrote their app to use mongodb it would run liek poo poo on the router os.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Integrated-UniFi-Controller-in-Edgemax/td-p/915742

you;d think tehy woudl at least let you configure it vOv

e: this thing is teh one that works more with the APs https://www.ubnt.com/enterprise/#unifi-gateway:overview
looks new

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

thx yospos

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
ubiquiti has 2-3 branches of product.

airos is all the point to point wireless backhaul stuff and runs on fancy binary proprietary firmware.

unifi is the cloud/butt/web managed stuff where you can configure a simple router firewall on the same page as your managed wifi aps and unifi switch. the web gui server uses mongodb as its back end so you can't run the server on the same box as the router.

edgemax is the enterprisey router gear that's mips/arm cortex CPUs driving a port of Debian/vyatta router os and has a simple gui interface plus a full featured cli shell which shares similar samey command syntax as juniper junos.

meanwhile microtik relies heavily on their own Windows gui tool called winbox. otherwise their cli syntax is horseshit. if you want to try microtik I can send you a rb750 that I have no interest in plugging in anymore. oh and the programming team for microtik is in Poland or Latvia and they have a history of not implementing basic things or breaking things on new releases

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CrazyLittle posted:

ubiquiti has 2-3 branches of product.

airos is all the point to point wireless backhaul stuff and runs on fancy binary proprietary firmware.

unifi is the cloud/butt/web managed stuff where you can configure a simple router firewall on the same page as your managed wifi aps and unifi switch. the web gui server uses mongodb as its back end so you can't run the server on the same box as the router.

edgemax is the enterprisey router gear that's mips/arm cortex CPUs driving a port of Debian/vyatta router os and has a simple gui interface plus a full featured cli shell which shares similar samey command syntax as juniper junos.

meanwhile microtik relies heavily on their own Windows gui tool called winbox. otherwise their cli syntax is horseshit. if you want to try microtik I can send you a rb750 that I have no interest in plugging in anymore. oh and the programming team for microtik is in Poland or Latvia and they have a history of not implementing basic things or breaking things on new releases

yeah i love the airos stuff and i wish their unifi stuff had that as an option, i dont want to have to run their stupid app or have a cloudbutt thing in my drat router. but it sounds like the edgerouter is the way to go to sidestep all that. although im still gonna have to deal with their stupid thing to get the good wap. any info on longevity?

i was mainly interested in mikrotik since they have a p good nerd-reputation for being no-nonsense and stable/solid, and ive been using dd-wrt routers that are kind of poo poo so ive been looking to upgrade. mainly want something that will last a decade and have decent performance without needing to be all whizbang gamer. something i can install at my folks' house and not have to tell them how to power cycle the router when it gets confused every month or so. the airos ubnt stuff has been that kind of quality so far, so i was hoping their other stuff also was.

if that is an earnest offer for the rb750, hell yea ill take your old junk. would be a decent way to figure out if i hate mikrotik or not.

so are the unifi gateway things any good? or are they too consumer-y?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
the unifi line seems to be ubiquiti's attempt to bridge the soho / home market. it's probably robust enough to simple offices up to 30-40 ppl but hooking your internet gateway router config into a cloud/server creates some interesting chicken & egg problems... but then again meraki does the same cloud thing soooooo

unifi aps: v good, v cheap. assumes you have some idea of what you're doing in setting up a wireless network deployment. if you have a bunch of devices or ppl who want lots of wifi speed then you're going to need more than 1-2 aps in an office space, so this lets you do it on the cheap from a centralized management and planning console. only drawback is that you need a windows/osx/linux server on site to run your webgui/config/provisioning/firmware server. if you're really unwilling or have multiple sites you can host it on a remote server or in the cloud but you're adding complexity that you might not need.

unifi switches: ok so now you have a bunch of poe-driven aps all over your ceiling but you want a way to control the switch ports in detail from the same management console, well here you go, have a ubiquiti edgemax switch that pulls its configs from the same server as the unifi aps. if you manage to orphan the switch management interface from the config server, welp time to reset the switch

unifi voip phones: these are kinda in limbo. they had this grand plan where you'd run a ubiquiti pbx but it was poo poo and it took way too much cpu power, and voip features like auto attendants, voicemail, call bridging are a bitch to implement so ubiquiti said gently caress that and dumped it. now they're just android phones with a sip client and a handset built in and nowhere near enough features-on-the-phone to make them a viable alternative to polycom/snom/grandstream/whatever. they sound pretty damned good for the price tho and you can totally sideload poo poo onto the android tablet.

unifi video cameras: just kidding these things aren't integrated into the rest of the unifi poo poo and it requires their own video recording dvr server-or-hardware.

unifi security gateway: still haven't gotten enough webgui server driven config? here stick your router on it. it's got the same cpu/ram/ports as the edgerouter lite, but now it's shifted the web gui management over to the cloud/butt/web server. so this is super awesome if you're dumbthumbs and want all the management in a single simple interface, but if you go superadmin and put your config in the cloud and lose internet connectivity you also lose the ability to make changes to the router.

maybe i'd sell these as a deployment to my customers where they're able to poke at the pretty buttons and make their own port forwards under a managed services umbrella, but i prob wouldn't run the non ap stuff myself for 100+ employee sites. once you get outside the gui's config ability for the router you're stuck with the cli anyways so why not just play with the edgemax gui that has more features and/or learn some junos syntax?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

can the unifi edgemax poo poo do a combo of site-to-site VPNs and remote access VPNs without being a pain in the rear end?

i might need to set up a small company with basically main poo poo in colo on a 100 mbps internet connection, two remote offices and a few remote employees

they do scientific computing on severs with a shitload of ram so the power of the ~*cloud*~ doesnt work for them

i dont want to deal with this poo poo being flakey so im thinking meraki but these guys are cheap assholes and will probably balk at the recurring costs even though it's cheaper than them hiring someone competent to babysit their garbage full time

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
sounds good. so basically dont bother trying to integrate router and ap, because nothing is really gained. use an edgerouter x or lite, and a unifi ap and deal with the stupid configuration thing for those only. worksforme

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Raluek posted:

if that is an earnest offer for the rb750, hell yea ill take your old junk. would be a decent way to figure out if i hate mikrotik or not.

tossed them both on sa-mart

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

can the unifi edgemax poo poo do a combo of site-to-site VPNs and remote access VPNs without being a pain in the rear end?

edgerouter lite, poe and pro models have ipsec hardware offload so they should be able to push a good amount of site-to-site vpn throughput. i haven't done any benchmarks for it yet though. config is possible through gui and is super easy for site-to-site stuff. here's a sample config snip of vpn lan-to-lan and vpn remote access: http://pastebin.com/hQ4vtkQ3

mishaq posted:

i dont want to deal with this poo poo being flakey so im thinking meraki but these guys are cheap assholes and will probably balk at the recurring costs even though it's cheaper than them hiring someone competent to babysit their garbage full time

yeah there's real value in having the ability to pick up the phone and yell at cisco.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah there's real value in having the ability to pick up the phone and yell at cisco.

:agreed:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

netgear is... bad. the last netgear unit that i configured because the customer didn't/couldn't do it themselves was early this year, and the latest firmware was from 2011, didn't support ipv6, and each web gui page load took ~30-60 sec.

you're better off with a small sonicwall or a small cisco asa or if you're down w/ a little bit of fiddling, get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter lite. if those aren't your thing just get a tplink archer c7.

nah the NAT engines on a lot of the big ISP-supplied units is typically the cheapest poo poo they can get away with. if he's got 20+ computers he already has a switch (hopefully gigabit)

please do not use sonicwalls

sonicwall bad

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

please do not use sonicwalls

sonicwall bad

agreed but the alternatives for small office tend to be:
cisco asa 5508-x
meraki/cisco MX64W
juniper SSG5
sonicwall tz300
lmao netgear trashfire
random soho poo poo
unix-box

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

agreed but the alternatives for small office tend to be:
cisco asa 5508-x
meraki/cisco MX64W
juniper SSG5
sonicwall tz300
lmao netgear trashfire
random soho poo poo
unix-box

i got us out of some nonsense sonicwall to an HA pair of Palo Alto 3020s but that is probably an unreasonable upgrade for this situation

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
palo alto pa-500 is $5000 laffo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Welp. what do ya'll use to back up UEFI drives?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Silver Alicorn posted:

Welp. what do ya'll use to back up UEFI drives?

you mean gpt? same thing as you use for mbr drives

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I tried PING but it dun werk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh clonezilla exists

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

palo alto pa-500 is $5000 laffo

lol if u don't get fat discounts from list price

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i have a little box that i put openbsd and pf on and i want it to be a firewall for a couple of hosts. right now i got it configured where it's also a dhcp server passing ips to my hosts, but before i spin up any vms i don't know how many layers of nat i should really have. i thought maybe it would be easier if i just got rid of dhcp and gave static addresses to all the physical hosts? there's no dhcp server on the other end, it's all static addresses and i'm fine with that, but i'm dumb at networking and don't know if what i'm doing or thinking of doing is a good idea. i think i might have to configure routes to make my hosts use my firewall as a gateway, or maybe it just works if i tell them to use the gateway that my firewall is using? thank you in advance for your input.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats the least effort way to fetch a url on an interval and have it alert u when it gives a different result using windows

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

this router is older but its dirt cheap with a lot of ram and a good cpu and it can handle 900mbit u/d sustained on my home jiggabit connection. 3rd party firmware might kill the cut to forward feature (does on tomato, not sure about ddwrt) which will take throughput down to the 100mbit range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00387G6R8?keywords=asus%20n16&qid=1450298320&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

you can enable hardware nat again in the settings after installing tomato

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

why does my computer keep waking up from sleep?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

why does my computer keep waking up from sleep?

powercfg /waketimers
powercfg /lastwake

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well that's a cool command but it doesn't tell me much

wake history is just 0??

/wake timers gives me something about media center (mcupdate_scheduled). but it's been waking up repeatedly for a few days now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

well that's a cool command but it doesn't tell me much

wake history is just 0??

/wake timers gives me something about media center (mcupdate_scheduled). but it's been waking up repeatedly for a few days now

yeah okay so if you ever launch media center it puts in a task scheduler job to wake your computer in the middle of the night to download updated OTA tv schedules even if you don't have a tuner (Michael$$$oft) so you have to go in to task scheduler under Microsoft/Windows/Media Center, find the mcupdate or mcupdate_scheduled job and either edit it so it can't wake your computer or delete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:staredog: